• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Power of a Community Part Duex: Lighten Up!

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Friday, I was privileged enough to attend a talk at my University given by Jonathan Safran Foer. For those who don't know, he's an incredible award-winning writer; he's written Everything is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

He made some incredibly interesting points which apply not only to the Jewish community, but to any community. All of his points dealt with laughter, and its value within a community.

I'd like to bring up one of his points. He discussed (as many people have) the value of laughter as a method to evolve and move past tough times. More specifically, he referred to laughing at one's self.

We, as a Community, are falling apart. Part of this I address in my first post on this matter, and the final part will come in another thread much longer than this one. But for now, I want to bring up the significance of laughing at ourselves. We stay up until the wee hours of night, arguing and bickering, exchanging flames, all for the sake of a game in which we can explosively fart on an electric rat's face.

Smash is a god **** game. For some people, it does go deeper. But I'll be ****ed if people haven't become closed-minded to hell about a god ****ed video game. Let's lighten up. Try new things. Listen to ideas. And, every once in a while, when someone's post enrages you because they suggest something like curry metal bunny brawl as a competitive standard... learn to laugh. Relax before posting.

As I said before, we've had 7 years of an amazing community in smash. Don't let that fall apart.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Curry metal bunny mode? Preposterous. The different one must be exterminated. He's not one of us... ONE OF US. ONE OF US. GOOBLE GOBBLE GOOBLE GOBBLE.

Mann

Smash Ace
****ing christ dude. Your first thread wasn't even closed, nor has it even gone past 2 pages. And you keep saying about how this community is being torn a part. Are you not reading anything? Just because people have different views on the game doesn't mean that community will tear itself to shreds. Just because people type up posts in a discussion that doesn't need any more continuation, doesn't mean people are going at each other's throats. People will do as they please and suffer the consequences for it, whether it be bad or good. Learn to use the edit button. And don't assume.

This isn't http://www.ssbbforums.com/

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I have already went through leaps and bounds to try this. I made two threads that are a comedic spin on some of the issues. They are a few pages back, but if you want me to retrieve them I will.

Besides, I am always laughing when I come here due to the seriousness of everyone. Although my posts may come off as to the wire sometimes, I am not once ever serious coming on to these boards.

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
the solution

I think the solution to the current situation, is the separation of Competitive brawl, and general brawl discussion, their should be a separate sub forum for Competitive brawl, where any SWF member can opt in to have their account designated competitive, giving the access to that area, there people can safely discuss competitive brawl issues, and posters who are clearly counter productive can simply be banned from that area, much like the back room, but instead of being in for being a well renowned member, anyone can be in, until they prove they aren't responsible enough for the privilege.

this would both end the constant bickering between competitive minded, and normal play minded players, and would allow any casuals to pursue their interest in competitive brawl if they can be mature about it, and those who can't would still be welcome here, but not in the competitive section.

because really lets face it, the number of active members who are new, has increased quite dramatically with the release of brawl, and well its growing issues of the newcomers battling to find their identity among such a well established community, while perhaps not quite understanding what SWF is about.

whad'ya think?

pirkid

Smash Lord
Hey, I laugh, I flame, I move on. It's just the general anger that's present right now.

And I don't think this community is falling apart. It's just in a debate situation. Remember the profits?

Everyone just needs to relax. Do what you want, don't bother others unless you want an FC. Take it easy.

Top Bottom