• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Positives of Brawl

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
The Inclusion of New, Fun Characters
That's right, new characters! Did you hear that this game could have just been Melee online? I'm sure lots of you would have liked that feature, actually, but wouldn't you rather see the time and effort put into a new game? Some of you might not, that's fine. But look at these additions: Ike, Wario, Pit, Olimar, Meta Knight, Dedede, Zero Suit Samus, PT with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, Lucas, Wolf, Robot, Snake, Lucario and Sonic, just to name all the ones I can remember... I think I caught them all. Flame me if I didn't.

And even if some of these are "clones" of existing characters, and even though some may suggest a pre-existing character (*Cough* Samus *Cough*), and even though some characters were regrettably cut, look at what you've gotten in return. If you can't find ONE character in that list you aren't fond of, I'd be surprised, and if you can't find ONE character in the entire roster you aren't fond of at all, they you are either playing it solely for the gameplay aspect, or maybe you should be playing something completely different. In essence, this game and its predecessors are a fun-bag of Nintendo characters, worlds and references with a new gameplay aspect.

A reasonably appealing selection of stages
There are over forty stages in this game, and they range from the "perfect for tournament" kind, the mildly hazardous kind, all the way to the incredibly hazardous kind that are intended to make certain players laugh at how virtually impossible it is to play without interruption. As mentioned above, it is also meant to be a showcase of Nintendo nostalgia. Take the Halberd for instance... it didn't HAVE to have a cannon and a laser and a mechanical claw, and all those additions would have been far more meaningless if said features had not been a boss fight Kirby had against the Halberd in one of his most popular games. I could cite some more examples, but you should get the idea... And the game has levels that are playable for tournaments, while Nintendo could have gone "Who gives a hoot" and left you with just Final Destination and Battlefield, the two levels that most of the tournament friendly levels are based on anyway. And casual players shouldn't really even give a care.

A revamped single player aspect
Obviously, this section will likely not apply to tournament goers as much, since the essence of a tournament experience is player(s) vs player(s). But not everyone goes to tournaments, not everyone has friends to play at their house with them (which is remedied in a later paragraph anyway), and not everyone WANTS to play vs all the time, and maybe someone just wants a break from vs in general. Well what do you know, there is a NEW single player mode that isn't almost exactly like previous installments for all intents and purposes (*Cough* Classic *Cough* But that's how it was meant to be... Classic XD). It looks fun to me, but then again I am a fan of Kirby games... from what I've seen, it plays VERY MUCH like a Kirby game... There will be people who will get zero interest and enjoyment out of the single player aspect, but they have a multiplayer aspect based on a grand heritage of its predecessors.

As for people who complain about the five target test stages rather than having an individual stage for each character, people which I have seen with my own eyes, you have every right to that opinion. However, perhaps the developers thought it might appeal to more people if they gave every character the same access to the same stages so players could see the advantages and disadvantages of each character. That's MY opinion, doesn't have to be yours.

Expansion of the Multiplayer Aspect
This happened in two ways: both the ability to play Coopertively on types of games that were formerly limited to just one player. Again, probably not much appeal to tournaments here, but it appeals to some people who might want to have a little friendly competition with their friends and see which teams of two can do better in the Multi Man games and the Stadium in general. Limited audience, I know... but you can also play Co-op on the new adventure mode, which is suddenly -gasp- NOT limited to just a single player! D: Now your annoying little sibling or your bored friend can join in on whatever single player action you get into.

But wait, there's more! Multiplayer Brawl is playable ONLINE. So you can't play stocked matches with anyone... so you can't play Stage Editor stages at all... Nintendo is still learning the ropes of online, and they could have just scrapped online play all together. What do you have instead? Online play. You can play with people that are not in your house sitting next to you. Yes.

Interesting Extras
I know that a large number of you haven't ever even touched games like Super Metroid before in your lives, even with them on the Virtual Console. While Masterpieces, at a glance, seems very tacked on, and while it would probably be a much cooler idea for Nintendo to have demos actually available from their darn Shop Channel, the formerly mentioned "fun-bag" aspect of Smash makes this fit in reasonably well. Serves as a sort of historical documentation of just how far these games have come in over twenty years... I didn't even know the third dimension existed back in 1991.

Then there is the Stage Editor... granted, not everyone is artistically inclined or creative, so not everyone will get enjoyment out of MAKING these stages... However, you will have access to download stages OTHERS have made, stages that are actually interesting and fun to play even if you can't do it yourself or if you are just far too self-critical. Disappointing that these stages aren't playable even via Friends, but imagine the horror of entering a match where your really big jerk of a friend selects a level with only platform was a pit of spikes, and nothing else, and you wanted to play competetively. Not a likely scenario at all, I know... I've had a long day.

And the My Music secion? The soundtrack list alone should be reason enough to turn quite a few heads. Remixes, 8-bit classic, untouched tracks from more recent games, over 280 of which are used during actual gameplay, over 300 overall. "Fun-bag" again, lots of stuff that should be familiar to people. If there isn't one familiar tune in there for you and you aren't just getting into Nintendo games, I'd feel a little sad. :( But wait, not only is the soundtrack enormous, you can set the probability of music being played on the respective stage it is tied to. I've seen this feature in a couple of other games before, and whenever game developers can afford to get a reasonably big (Or in Brawl's case, monstrously big) soundtrack, they should definitely include something like this...

Competetive aspects lost, others found, more to find
I hear lots of talk of mechanics that were removed in the transition between Melee and Brawl... I also hear about how much differently Brawl plays than Melee without even taking those lost mechanics into account. But what do you have instead? Multiple mid-air dodges, spammed attacks losing knockback and damage, edgehogging becoming even more of a competetive tool because of characters heavily relying on tethers for recovery... That's just scratching the surface, and with the time that pros will be spending with this monster of a game, tons of other aspects will more than likely be discovered. All it takes is time, but until then I doubt any self-respecting pros will be THAT disappointed once they actually play the game... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, that about covers as much as I could possibly think of in one sitting after an arguous day of work. The second I submit this thread, I will remember something I forgot, and the second I submit this thread, it will go ignored or flamed as 600 more threads that nobody wants to see pop up out of nowhere... This thread here makes 601.

EDIT: See? Already forgot something! If NOTHING here appeals to you whatsoever, then you might want to consider playing a different game. That is all.

kr3wman

Smash Master
/signed.

I prefer the overall fun aspect of it.

P.S.: But seriously, WOOT!

First Post!

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Nice try, but you'll be shot down for supporting "gimmicks" or supporting things irrelevant to the tourney scene.

I like how well thought out your post is though.

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
Nice try, but you'll be shot down for supporting "gimmicks" or supporting things irrelevant to the tourney scene.

I like how well thought out your post is though.
Thanks for the input. I tried to cover as many tournament aspects as I could, but never having been to one (yet) really hinders my whole knowledge on it... And from what I COULD gather from memory, it really just cuts out 90% of the game, that 90& being gimmicks, anyway, leaving me with much less to talk about it, but its still there, as it should be.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
The Inclusion of New, Fun Characters
But look at these additions: Ike, Wario, Pit, Olimar, Meta Knight, Dedede, Zero Suit Samus, PT with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, Lucas, Wolf, Robot, Snake, Lucario and Sonic, just to name all the ones I can remember... I think I caught them all. Flame me if I didn't.
The beef with characters is caused by the expectations people had due to a lot of the high ranking "suggestions" getting in and some semi-obvious ones not. I would have much rather played Krystal than Falco. And Falco/"Toon" Link getting in while Mewtwo out? Theres some beef there.

Of course that's not to say I don't like some of the characters in Brawl. But there were a lot of missed opportunites (staff user from star fox, japanese sword user from anywhere (Takamaru, Fire emblem), axe user from fire emblem, etc). Its just swords and fists pretty much, still (and a few hammers).

A reasonably appealing selection of stages
Ah stages. Great for causing debates of annoying character behavior which leads to bans. Who seriously, I mean SERIOUSLY, plays a "circle" in Melee and doesn't expect to get punched in the face for soing so?

A revamped single player aspect
Well what do you know, there is a NEW single player mode that isn't almost exactly like previous installments for all intents and purposes (*Cough* Classic *Cough* But that's how it was meant to be... Classic XD). It looks fun to me, but then again I am a fan of Kirby games... from what I've seen, it plays VERY MUCH like a Kirby game... There will be people who will get zero interest and enjoyment out of the single player aspect, but they have a multiplayer aspect based on a grand heritage of its predecessors.
You and even I can admit to liking Kirby games. But why should single player smash smack SO MUCH of a Kirby game? (Bomb block reactions, cannons, forced-scrolling, forced halting sections, mine carts, "space jump" etc) It's not even a true platformer in the sense. It's a beat em up. You get forcibly halted countless times to beat up waves and waves of enemies. And in a year or so, who that has 100%ed it will care about it? I'm considering unlocking all I can OUT of the SSE because the SSE looks so tedious. I for one am not grateful that so much energy was diverted to this.

As for people who complain about the five target test stages rather than having an individual stage for each character, people which I have seen with my own eyes, you have every right to that opinion. However, perhaps the developers thought it might appeal to more people if they gave every character the same access to the same stages so players could see the advantages and disadvantages of each character. That's MY opinion, doesn't have to be yours.
There's almost no debating that personalized target tests would have been better. The fact that there are only 5 total led SOME people to think (myself guilty) that there would be so many characters that making personalized ones would prove impractical. Plus all but TWO involve your character manipulating items in a correct way to get the best time. Target Test REALLY took a step back.

Expansion of the Multiplayer Aspect
I know... but you can also play Co-op on the new adventure mode, which is suddenly -gasp- NOT limited to just a single player! D: Now your annoying little sibling or your bored friend can join in on whatever single player action you get into.

But wait, there's more! Multiplayer Brawl is playable ONLINE. So you can't play stocked matches with anyone... so you can't play Stage Editor stages at all... Nintendo is still learning the ropes of online, and they could have just scrapped online play all together. What do you have instead? Online play. You can play with people that are not in your house sitting next to you. Yes.
Stop "excusing" Nintendo for their inexperience. The fact that they don't allow you to rate/unrate battles (its called an OPTION, you COULD ignore it), create rooms, or make friends with people just over smash shows how limiting they truly want their technology to be, just to ensure child safety (is that why the game is rated Teen?). It's frankly a little embarassing, as a Nintendo fan.

Interesting Extras
I know that a large number of you haven't ever even touched games like Super Metroid before in your lives, even with them on the Virtual Console. While Masterpieces, at a glance, seems very tacked on, and while it would probably be a much cooler idea for Nintendo to have demos actually available from their darn Shop Channel, the formerly mentioned "fun-bag" aspect of Smash makes this fit in reasonably well. Serves as a sort of historical documentation of just how far these games have come in over twenty years... I didn't even know the third dimension existed back in 1991.
Not touching Super Metroid IS a sin yes, but it makes no sense to clog up Brawl with games that are NOT Brawl (I'd almost include the SSE in this statement). Masterpieces is a garbage mode and a single trophy or sticker in its place would have been more well placed.

Then there is the Stage Editor... granted, not everyone is artistically inclined or creative, so not everyone will get enjoyment out of MAKING these stages... However, you will have access to download stages OTHERS have made, stages that are actually interesting and fun to play even if you can't do it yourself or if you are just far too self-critical. Disappointing that these stages aren't playable even via Friends, but imagine the horror of entering a match where your really big jerk of a friend selects a level with only platform was a pit of spikes, and nothing else, and you wanted to play competetively. Not a likely scenario at all, I know... I've had a long day.
Yeah, theres pretty much no excuse that if you and your friend both own a stage, that you can't play on it over wifi. Also, the created stages look extremely bland. And it will be abused more than it is used for the forces of good.

And the My Music secion? The soundtrack list alone should be reason enough to turn quite a few heads. Remixes, 8-bit classic, untouched tracks from more recent games, over 280 of which are used during actual gameplay, over 300 overall. "Fun-bag" again, lots of stuff that should be familiar to people. If there isn't one familiar tune in there for you and you aren't just getting into Nintendo games, I'd feel a little sad. :( But wait, not only is the soundtrack enormous, you can set the probability of music being played on the respective stage it is tied to. I've seen this feature in a couple of other games before, and whenever game developers can afford to get a reasonably big (Or in Brawl's case, monstrously big) soundtrack, they should definitely include something like this...
Yes, the soundtrack. Perhaps the one part of the game I can't find much fault with. It's funny how the composers were on the first Dojo update everywhere. He really put a lot of thought into the music. Shame about some of the other things.

Competetive aspects lost, others found, more to find
I hear lots of talk of mechanics that were removed in the transition between Melee and Brawl... I also hear about how much differently Brawl plays than Melee without even taking those lost mechanics into account. But what do you have instead? Multiple mid-air dodges, spammed attacks losing knockback and damage, edgehogging becoming even more of a competetive tool because of characters heavily relying on tethers for recovery... That's just scratching the surface, and with the time that pros will be spending with this monster of a game, tons of other aspects will more than likely be discovered. All it takes is time, but until then I doubt any self-respecting pros will be THAT disappointed once they actually play the game... Correct me if I'm wrong.
From the looks of Bowser infinite jumping, it looks like Brawl could have just as annoying glitch-techniques as Melee. Sure theres a big field to learn here, but its slower than Melee and you can be randomly punished just for trying to run.

I will play and love brawl, but theres no way I could in good faith give it a 10/10. Some of the design decisions made are just baffling.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I think everyone agrees that Brawl will be a fun, high quality game.
The question in the back of everyone's mind is "will it be suitable for competitive play in the long term?"
Will we be playing Brawl tournaments 6 years from now or will we get bored of it in a few months?

Nuvia

Smash Ace
I think everyone agrees that Brawl will be a fun, high quality game.
The question in the back of everyone's mind is "will it be suitable for competitive play in the long term?"
Will we be playing Brawl tournaments 6 years from now or will we get bored of it in a few months?
That question can only be answered with time.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Thanks for that.

The characters removed from Melee were removed for a reason. Three of them were clones, and let's face it, after three generations, Mewtwo's popularity has waned to almost nothing.

Wolf, Falco, and Fox are the three most important characters in Star Fox. I'm glad they're here to represent the series.

I've never played the Subspace Emissary, but I already know it's something I will most likely play more than once.

The target test is better. I never cared for learning to do 25 target tests. It wasn't that great of a mode to begin with to deserve that many. Even 12 was a little much.

The soundtrack... the only flaw I can find in it is Seven Rings in Hand (and a few bad English versions of Japanese songs). Other than that it's perfect.

But I'm sick and tired of people complaining that X should've been instead of Y, and that makes it an imperfect game. Brawl's vast play options more than make up for these minor so-called "imperfections".

ConeZone

Smash Ace
this thread can be summed up a lot easier my just saying; play brawl, it will be amazing, the characters and single player are amazing, the reviews have been unanimously perfect for this game, and you will be playing this game for years to come

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
In response to Kittah4, at the very least you provided a worthwhile argument to the points, for which reason I'm grateful someone uses their head at least a little bit rather than whatever other part of the human body people seem to be thinking with on internet forums.

Really my only small retort is in regards to the characters... yeah, there are miss opprotunities, but in reality we're a bit responsible for hyping up the game, and the Dojo is responsible for making announcments about all the new characters that actually turned out to be starters, when in fact many of the vets comprised a large amount of the secret character roster. In short, its a mixed blame; I didn't have to watch the Dojo updates, but I did. There are people who don't even know about the Dojo and won't even know about any new characters until the game comes out, and to them it will be like "POW!"

Can't really tell what they did with their missed opprotunities, but I don't really think the other mode development had that much to do with it... I mean, they would have a seperate development team for characters than for building levels, etc, and any characters additional to those with a part in SSE could have just been made a cop-out secret character hidden in SSE like Toon Link, Jiggs and Wolf.

Good points though, intelligent argument to say the least.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
HOLD IT

This is your opinion and all, but I must correct you about one thing?

Stop "excusing" Nintendo for their inexperience. The fact that they don't allow you to rate/unrate battles (its called an OPTION, you COULD ignore it), create rooms, or make friends with people just over smash shows how limiting they truly want their technology to be, just to ensure child safety (is that why the game is rated Teen?). It's frankly a little embarassing, as a Nintendo fan.
You know that line? Friend codes as a means of child safety? Yeah, that's ENTIRELY INCORRECT. It is in fact, NoA DAMAGE CONTROL. The REAL reason Nintendo's online sucks? The main audience, the Japanese do not give two ****s about evolved online. The Wii was built with the Japanese in mind, NoA just got lucky that the Americans, and even overseas guys, happened to like it all the same. As such, it's just lucky coincidence that NoA could easily appease the 'horrid' online (I don't care one way or another) by the 'no pedophiles' spin to appease soccer moms and such. Sorry guys, but if you want to fix online, go complain to NoJ, not NoA.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
this thread can be summed up a lot easier my just saying; play brawl, it will be amazing, the characters and single player are amazing, the reviews have been unanimously perfect for this game, and you will be playing this game for years to come
Hopefully so!

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
The effort of this thread is much appreciated.
Maybe the more you hope, the more disappointed you will become.

And just to add,
In case if you get bored with FS itemless matches, play on Warioware with Smashballs.

SonicSmash001

Smash Apprentice
Great, i really love this thread because it summarizes alot of good points, great job!

I think this game is huger then anyone things and we have just started scratching the surface. Once I get a copy in my hands ill be able to make more conlcusions. 20 days to go!

Rash

Smash Ace
The soundtrack... the only flaw I can find in it is Seven Rings in Hand (and a few bad English versions of Japanese songs). Other than that it's perfect.
People need to stop ragging on Seven Rings in Hand. For one, Sonic and the Secret Rings is a good game (the best 3D Sonic since either SA2 or Heroes), and Seven Rings in Hand is actually one of the most bearable vocalized songs in the Sonic franchise. I don't see why Live and Learn or Sonic Heroes are somehow so much better.

The soundtrack isn't perfect. It's close though. Some of the choices are questionable. There's no reason for there to be two Ridley themes. No reason for there to be 2 Area 6 themes (especially when one sucks horrendously). No reason to have more than one version of Athletic. No reason why more songs from Kirby's Adventure shouldn't have been included. No reason why Mother should have been cut down. Etc.

Otherwise, even if some remixes aren't that great for actual listening, they're usually better for Brawling anyway. As I see it, the soundtrack gets an A-, but could've been an A if they included Phendrana Drifts 2.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
JoJoRukus listed all the reasons I am so excited for this game, despite any "drawbacks".

I am happy.

Don Tyrant

Smash Cadet
Great post, it's good to see all the good that has come out of brawl instead of rants and complaints. I like the way brawl looks and will undoubtly like the game. Come March 9, my *** will be glued to my couch playing brawl.

Top Bottom