• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'The poke, or the jab?'

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Vanilla brawl may be overly defensive, I'm going to add more fuel to the fire, as I've not seen this at all here.

There are a few characters I like to call the 'boxer' characters. (I.E. Kirby, Cfalc. or anyone with a very fast first standard A-combo) With these people, a strategy you or others may imply (trying to be helpful here) is to set the shield button you don't use to attack. I call it poking, but... Anyways, You can do this with normal A, but it's slower into other moves then.
Imagine, if you where next to a link player who was about to hit you with his second smash combo (providing the first one was shielded). Would you like to A. Get hit B. Shield/Dodge C. Unshield quickly then tap the (I use the R button) attack button to standard combo him with the first shot, making your opponent flinch and be set up for another move/shield again?

Just throwing this one out there. Please excuse if this is common sense, or is a duplicate thread.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Pretty common sense, but what do I know. Another thing you could do is jab with a character like C. Falcon and grab them out of the hitstun...however I'm almost completely positive a good player would DI out of it. But yes, jabs/pokes are good. I mean, look at Ike and Snake.

But really, if you were to perfect shield/shield a smash from a character like Link, I would probably grab them seeing as you can do a lot of them and most do decent damage.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
I actually like to use Diddy's jab, shield grab, jab jab, throw. It works pretty well.

Levitas

the moon
Usually grab is safer and sets up for other things better than jab, though I suppose it varies among characters, like anything else.

Top Bottom