• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The platform tech chase

Ersijo

Smash Cadet
So I've been trying to step up my combo game and I always seem to drop the combo as the fastfaller lands on a platform. Westballz usually solves this by making a quick waveland onto the platform and tech chasing from there. I've been having some success with that, but I can't figure out how to best cover the getup attack without shielding it and thus, not covering the rolls. So...

How do I cover the getup attack on platform?

`Rival

Smash Cadet
if you send a fast faller onto a side platform you can position yourself under the spot where they land (or as close as possible) and then anticipate the tech in place. if they choose any other option, you can react to it and hit them with something in time.

if you force them to tech on a platform and youre already very well positioned, you can cover all the options: covering tech in place/no tech with shine, then wavelanding onto the platform. if they hit a tech roll, you can cover it on reaction.

if you are in that awkward scenario where you send a fast faller to a platform so fast that by the time you get to them they can do a gettup attack, then youre probably better off not engaging that at all and just waiting it out and reacting or by positioning yourself such that they are forced to do something risky. i haven't optimized my combo game enough yet though; maybe theres a way to avoid this altogether but im not sure. i mean sometimes you can shield to cover gettup attack, and react to all the other options with aerials.

Last edited:

pipN

Smash Rookie
Westballz usually solves this by making a quick waveland onto the platform and tech chasing from there. I've been having some success with that, but I can't figure out how to best cover the getup attack without shielding it and thus, not covering the rolls.
I think that if you waveland on the platform and continue holding down, you will continue to crouch on the platform. This will let you crouch cancel a get-up attack (depending on you % of course) and follow up with a forward smash, while also allowing you to cover tech rolls.

Flab

Smash Rookie
So I've been trying to step up my combo game and I always seem to drop the combo as the fastfaller lands on a platform. Westballz usually solves this by making a quick waveland onto the platform and tech chasing from there. I've been having some success with that, but I can't figure out how to best cover the getup attack without shielding it and thus, not covering the rolls. So...

How do I cover the getup attack on platform?
Hey dude, where did you find your profile pic? Because I'm pretty sure I made it! :p

Ersijo

Smash Cadet
if you send a fast faller onto a side platform you can position yourself under the spot where they land (or as close as possible) and then anticipate the tech in place. if they choose any other option, you can react to it and hit them with something in time.

if you force them to tech on a platform and youre already very well positioned, you can cover all the options: covering tech in place/no tech with shine, then wavelanding onto the platform. if they hit a tech roll, you can cover it on reaction.

if you are in that awkward scenario where you send a fast faller to a platform so fast that by the time you get to them they can do a gettup attack, then youre probably better off not engaging that at all and just waiting it out and reacting or by positioning yourself such that they are forced to do something risky. i haven't optimized my combo game enough yet though; maybe theres a way to avoid this altogether but im not sure. i mean sometimes you can shield to cover gettup attack, and react to all the other options with aerials.
That was just the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks a lot!

Ersijo

Smash Cadet
I think that if you waveland on the platform and continue holding down, you will continue to crouch on the platform. This will let you crouch cancel a get-up attack (depending on you % of course) and follow up with a forward smash, while also allowing you to cover tech rolls.
I always slide off the platform when doing this, no matter the %. Am I doing something wrong?

pipN

Smash Rookie
I think it depends on where you waveland on the platform (e.g. if they landed near the left side of the platform, waveland juuust to their right), and what stage you're on, which determines the size of the platforms (e.g. DL64).

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
One thing that I want to add is that you can't always CC against a getup attack. One of the sides of one of Fox's getup attack actually forces knockdown at 0%, so you'll just want to avoid it. If they're regularly getting you with getup attack, use another jump (if you still have it) as a bait and then FF onto them with a dair. It's pretty solid.

comics

Smash Cadet
One thing that I want to add is that you can't always CC against a getup attack. One of the sides of one of Fox's getup attack actually forces knockdown at 0%, so you'll just want to avoid it. If they're regularly getting you with getup attack, use another jump (if you still have it) as a bait and then FF onto them with a dair. It's pretty solid.
Although it's hard, couldn't you powershield fox's getup attack? I see 20GX Falcons do this.

Top Bottom