• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pit's neutral game

FMHappy

Smash Cadet
How Are you supposed to play the neutral with the pits? Should I go aggressive with the grand and dash attacks? Should I camp others with arrows or mix up both play styles. Also, how important are pit's aerials in the neutral? If so, how do I implement them into my gameplay? One problem I have with his aerials is that I always seem to not be able to connect a sh Nair or sh fair on shorter characters like Mario and pikachu. How do you make it so you can hit them and still be able to auto cancel the nair and fair?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That's very good question. If we had a solid answer Pit would probably be loads more popular. You see, it's very matchup dependent. Not just against characters, but also players too. The best you can really do is try everything until it works and abuse the heck out of it.

Aerials are incredibly important, especially Nair which is ridiculously safe on shield and beats spot dodges. Nair, Fair and Bair can be fast falled to be made safer and to hit smaller targets. Although against the really small characters you should instead use SH Dair, which does indeed autocancel. Although against most small characters playing grounded is quite effective since most lack good ways to get around Pit's disjoints.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
The way you play the neutral with Pit is like this. Throw out a jab to make them shield. If they shield again, then you can go for a dash grab and go for your basic bread and butter combos (dthrow to usmash). If your ever not sure of what your opponent is going to do, go for some fast fall empty hops, or dash shield to see what your opponent will do and play it accordingly.

When they are in high percentage (70-90%), save your fthrow until they are in kill percentage (120% or higher). Same goes for the side B. Pits realistic kill options are fsmash, usmash, side B, and fsmash.

Pits roll comes out far and fast. The purpose to roll with Pit sometimes to regain stage control, or trying to go through rapid jabs and punish them on the spot.

When your hanging on the ledge, there are multiple ways to mixup your recovery. You can do a drop down off the ledge to do a rising fair, or do a rising Dair to ensure safety and mix up the landings, so you can land safely.

Pit is a character that can play in two ways. If your hyper aggressive, watch Nairo and Kappamaki, or if your a patient player, then you may want to play the bait-punish game (Chompy, and Earth).

Here's an article I wrote a while back talking about the bait and punish game.

How to Play the Bait/Punish game with Dark Pit/Pit

FMHappy

Smash Cadet
That's very good question. If we had a solid answer Pit would probably be loads more popular. You see, it's very matchup dependent. Not just against characters, but also players too. The best you can really do is try everything until it works and abuse the heck out of it.

Aerials are incredibly important, especially Nair which is ridiculously safe on shield and beats spot dodges. Nair, Fair and Bair can be fast falled to be made safer and to hit smaller targets. Although against the really small characters you should instead use SH Dair, which does indeed autocancel. Although against most small characters playing grounded is quite effective since most lack good ways to get around Pit's disjoints.
How do you autocancel the dair? When I do it theres a ton of landing lag, even when I do it right out of a short hop, theres still some ending lag.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
How do you autocancel the dair? When I do it theres a ton of landing lag, even when I do it right out of a short hop, theres still some ending lag.
Well, you really just have to do it faster. You can even jump again before touching the ground if you're fast enough.

Might want to map jump to a shoulder button if you're having trouble. Or tap jump... But tap jump and arrows don't mix. SSB4 has a universal 10 frame buffer, and Pit takes 5 frames to get into the air from a jump. So there's no real timing involved, as soon as you hit jump you're free to hammer out the inputs for Dair.

Top Bottom