• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Piranha Plant Opinion Thread - Official #PlantGang suburbs.

Plant?

• Plant!

• Plant.

• Plant...

• Plant?

• pLaNt.

• PLANT!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Piranha Plant? Sakurai confirms Ken and Incineroar as the last two newcomers in the base roster, tells us about a Fighter Pass that would give us five new characters that each comes with their own stage, and announces a generic Mario enemy plant as the first DLC fighter. That doesn't make sense. We already have eight Mario characters which is enough to fill a match, meaning you would have to leave someone out of your Mario-themed match when Piranha Plant comes as the ninth character. And what stage would Piranha Plant come with? We already have New Donk City as a new Mario stage and we have 17 returning Mario stages. That's 18 Mario stages total! If the DLC characters come with stages, I would expect them to be from new series, since we only got two new series represented in the base roster (Splatoon and Castlevania) and we want this to be the most ambitious crossover. And even if they wanted to add a new Mario character for DLC, Geno would have been a much better choice because he's been requested so much and Cloud's inclusion shows that Square is involved, and people have Forest Maze as an idea for Geno's stage. Piranha Plant, what a waste. Should have been an Assist Trophy.
pirana plant is a bonus free dlc, and likely wont come with a stage or music.
It's a fun wtf character. But i understand people will think it's ridiculous in a bad way.

I choose to embrace this new character :)

UserKev

Smash Champion
It could be one of my mains. The piranha is a guilty pleasure character.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, Piranha Plant could be fun. But he better not count towards the Fighter Pass, because what stage could he come with? But at least it's fun to insult the players with a plant. But there are other characters that you can taunt the players with like Wii Fit Trainer just uses yoga to attack, Duck Hunt was that annoying dog that laughed at you when you lost the NES game, Villager and Isabelle come from non-violent games and uses mundane items, Simon and Richter's Holy Water sets people on fire even if they are heroic and not related to vampires or demons, Mr. Game & Watch is a two-dimensional sprite with a choppy frame rate, Pichu's attacks hurt itself and gives itself a huge disadvantage so losing to a Pichu would be an insult. We already have a plant character with Ivysaur. And a lot of taunts are meant to troll people. Do we really need another joke character from the Mario series of all things? How does it even walk? Does it just hop around? I mean, they have to be really creative to give a plant without limbs a moveset in a fighting game. I'm just going to take the free offer before we get charged because I want to be able to use every character that I can. And hey, might be crazy to play Smash as a plant.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And I thought that Jigglypuff was supposed to be the joke fighter. What are the chances that WatchMojo will put the Piranha Plant in an updated top 10 weirdest fighters list?

Q-Long

Smash Lord
It looks super fun.

Though I understand the frustration of having a generic enemy not only over the likes of Banjo, Chorus Kids, Isaac, etc. but Paper Mario, Geno, Waluigi, and Toad.

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
I’m honestly more hype for piranha plant than any of the expected characters or even my personal hopes

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I'm semi neutral on Piranha Plant's playability, and here's why.

Now that a Mario enemy made into the game as playable before several key characters like Paper Mario, Waluigi, and Toad, that just brings even more competition and opens the flood gates for other enemy characters.

Like what would be consider next? A playable MimiCutie? A Sniper Joe? A Goomba? (Which if you honestly asked me should been taken PP's place if we're gonna use the whole "iconic enemy" argument.)

I honestly believe this was the worst possible time to reveal this character, considering it got in over other requested characters who are Assists or Mii Costumes.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I love that this boy is in because I LOVE Mario Sunshine, so Petey gets his time to shine! One of the funniest things I've ever seen. I'm still grinning at how funny this is. I love joke characters and it's about time we got our Dan Hibiki.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Do I have to pre-order the digital version to get the free Piranha Plant and Fighter Pass? Why? I already pre-ordered the physical version from Amazon. I can't pre-download the game when I'm getting the cartridge in the mail! The game takes up 13.6 GB. I have 18.1 GB left on my system. If I download the game, I would have only 4.5 GB which would not be enough for the updates, DLC, save data or especially additional games.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I'll say that this is honestly my favourite newcomer of the entire bunch (second only to Daisy). Looks fun. Looks unique. Unexpected.

I'll definitely play as it.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Do I have to pre-order the digital version to get the free Piranha Plant and Fighter Pass? Why? I already pre-ordered the physical version from Amazon. I can't pre-download the game when I'm getting the cartridge in the mail! The game takes up 13.6 GB. I have 18.1 GB left on my system. If I download the game, I would have only 4.5 GB which would not be enough for the updates, DLC, save data or especially additional games.
You get PP by registering your copy of Ultimate with your My Nintendo ID before the 31st of January 2019. That has nothing to do with the digital version. Fighter pass however is like that strangely, my guess is they don't have it as it's own thing to buy separately for now because the game isn't out yet, no way they'd make that exclusive to the eShop download version

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I really wish I could go back in time six months just to tell everyone that Piranha Plant will be playable in the new Smash Bros. game.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
This is the character I didn't know I wanted until today. I've made it no secret that Mario newcomers aren't something that excites me, but this is just so out there that I can't help but love it.

All I need is the underground theme to be it's victory jingle and it'll be one of my favorites for sure.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I'm salty, but understanding. Whatever, I can't change it, and I'll probably at least try it out. It's good not to go off your kneejerk reactions.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I don’t like it. A generic character that got in over favorites that have been requested for years. Given that Smash is mainly about the characters, I prefer they have some actual character and defined personalities. I’m even iffy on the avatar characters like Villager. I’m clearly in the minority, though.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I don’t like it. A generic character that got in over favorites that have been requested for years. Given that Smash is mainly about the characters, I prefer they have some actual character and defined personalities. I’m even iffy on the avatar characters like Villager. I’m clearly in the minority, though.
So what are your thoughts on Bandana Dee; is he a goomba with a hat? I will say though regardless, this really does open Bandana Dee's prospects in getting in as DLC. If a basic enemy found in the first level of Super Mario Bros can get in, then Bandana Dee still has a valid shot. But that's a bit off topic...

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
P
Piranha Plant? Sakurai confirms Ken and Incineroar as the last two newcomers in the base roster, tells us about a Fighter Pass that would give us five new characters that each comes with their own stage, and announces a generic Mario enemy plant as the first DLC fighter. That doesn't make sense. We already have eight Mario characters which is enough to fill a match, meaning you would have to leave someone out of your Mario-themed match when Piranha Plant comes as the ninth character. And what stage would Piranha Plant come with? We already have New Donk City as a new Mario stage and we have 17 returning Mario stages. That's 18 Mario stages total! If the DLC characters come with stages, I would expect them to be from new series, since we only got two new series represented in the base roster (Splatoon and Castlevania) and we want this to be the most ambitious crossover. And even if they wanted to add a new Mario character for DLC, Geno would have been a much better choice because he's been requested so much and Cloud's inclusion shows that Square is involved, and people have Forest Maze as an idea for Geno's stage. Piranha Plant, what a waste. Should have been an Assist Trophy.
Piranha Plant is not one the five DLCs.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
If Piranha Plant doesn't count toward the fighter pass, that's good because we should get newcomers from new series and a DLC pack shouldn't be wasted on a Mario character. And if each pack is $5.99 individually (which would equal $29.95 together) and the fighter pass is $24.99, you'd save four dollars when you buy the fighter pass. But if Piranha Plant counted and he's offered as a free deal, it wouldn't make sense to buy the fighter pass for $24.99 when you can buy the fighters separately for $23.96. You'd be spending an extra dollar on a combo pack deal when the point of a combo deal is to be cheaper.
P

Piranha Plant is not one the five DLCs.
Luckily, Piranha Plant will not be a part of the Fighter Pass DLC, and will be a free download if you register your game before January 31st with your Nintendo Account. This makes the total number of downloadable fighters go from a guaranteed 5 to a guaranteed 6, and we don't even know if Nintendo will cap it off there. I personally am happy for my boy Piranha Plant, and am glad that he isn't an additional pricetag, and that he can be unlocked for free for the limited time deal where you can. My opinion would probably be different if he was one of the five DLC fighters, because I feel like those 5 should be reserved for the characters that got a lot of fighter support but didn't make the base roster, regardless if they ended up as Spirits to quench the thirst of their fans (which to be honest, probably made their thirst for them worse). Sadly, I'm going to have to give up on Isaac after he got axed as an Assist Trophy. He used to be my number 1 want, but he was absent in Smash 4, so I'm not going to ask too much of Nintendo for him anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still would be thrilled if he was included, but it simply isn't possible at this time. Piranha Plant was never on my radar, and getting him in the game was truly out of the blue for me. However, I am taking him as Sakurai's personal wish, so even if nobody else really planned on him getting in the game, it's what Sakurai wanted. And Piranha Plant looks amazing as of now. I would rather have Piranha Plant here as the free download for getting the game early and have Geno be the very last DLC reveal than have Geno be revealed now and have Piranha Plant be the very last fighter. This is the only time Piranha Plant could enter the game and have me be loving every second of gameplay from him, without being upset that any of my other picks aren't in the game. I would gladly put them on hold to relish PP.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
This fighter is completely and utterly ridiculous. I love him.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
So what are your thoughts on Bandana Dee; is he a goomba with a hat? I will say though regardless, this really does open Bandana Dee's prospects in getting in as DLC. If a basic enemy found in the first level of Super Mario Bros can get in, then Bandana Dee still has a valid shot. But that's a bit off topic...

To be completely honest with you, I’m not very familiar with Bandana Dee since I haven’t played a Kirby game since the SNES days. I don’t know how much of a personality he actually has. Therefore, I don’t think I have the authority to make a call on that one.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
I question Piranha Plant's place as an "All-Star" but honestly he feels like the perfect stupid character. No one wanted him and everyone wishes we got someone else instead. However, I am confident he will come to be a beloved character in the franchise. Much Like Pichu, he has just the right mix of dumb and unnecessary to make me love him.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
While I'm glad Piranha Plant isn't part of the Fighter Pass deal, I wonder if the Fighter Pass that has stages and music coming with the characters mean we'll be getting characters from unrepped series? If so, sorry Geno fans. Piranha Plant took his spot.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant? Sakurai confirms Ken and Incineroar as the last two newcomers in the base roster, tells us about a Fighter Pass that would give us five new characters that each comes with their own stage, and announces a generic Mario enemy plant as the first DLC fighter. That doesn't make sense.
You're right. it doesn't make sense.

And that's what makes it awesome.

After all, where would Smash be if they only picked predictable characters for the roster? Not nearly as fun, that's for sure.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
You're right. it doesn't make sense.

And that's what makes it awesome.

After all, where would Smash be if they only picked predictable characters for the roster? Not nearly as fun, that's for sure.
Yeah, it would be fun if they picked characters out of the left field like Wonder Woman! It's characters like these that show that just about anyone and anything could be a Smash Bros. fighter.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Yeah, it would be fun if they picked characters out of the left field like Wonder Woman! It's characters like these that show that just about anyone and anything could be a Smash Bros. fighter.
Well I mean, if Petey Piranha is the final Smash, then that makes Piranha Plant the official Super Mario Sunshine rep? It isn't entirely out of left field. There are certainly more random characters than him.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
It's not the fighter we deserve, but the one we need.
I LOVE IT!

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
I don't feel like its inclusion means that the "floodgates are open" or that it's detracted from what it means for a character to be in smash. I think this is very much a one-off thing, as a joke/wtf pick for a character. As for his actual character, he looks.... Interesting. I'll try playing him and if he's good he could actually be a secondary.

Last edited:

Xibit.A

Smash Rookie
Can we take ONE SECOND REAL QUICK to process that PIRANHA PLANT is in this game? What universe are we in again? Sakurai is a mad man and I’ll love him to the end of my days.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
How much of this game does the Mario series take up? Nine fighters from a series seems a little too much because we can't fit them in Eight-Player Smash. They don't have a potted plant from an unrepped game? I'm already happy with Daisy getting in.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
By twitter handle is "putukspitsvenom", I'm completely obsessed with various venomous animals and other toxic lifeforms.

This might be my main.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
How much of this game does the Mario series take up? Nine fighters from a series seems a little too much because we can't fit them in Eight-Player Smash. They don't have a potted plant from an unrepped game? I'm already happy with Daisy getting in.
Geno was one of the top contenders to become a new playable fighter, and after seeing the assist trophy / spirit purge of this last direct, I really thought that Geno would be our most likely bet as the first DLC. Now, I'm leaning towards Bandana Dee taking that spot, and I'm very confident that he will. But Geno would have been a 9th Mario rep if Piranha Plant wasn't...

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Geno was one of the top contenders to become a new playable fighter, and after seeing the assist trophy / spirit purge of this last direct, I really thought that Geno would be our most likely bet as the first DLC. Now, I'm leaning towards Bandana Dee taking that spot, and I'm very confident that he will. But Geno would have been a 9th Mario rep if Piranha Plant wasn't...
Yeah, it sucks how we were expecting Geno only for a generic plant enemy to take his spot. And now to want another Mario character would be pushing Mario's favoritism in a game that's meant to be crossing over all games. It doesn't help that Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Wario are considered their own series when they are technically part of the Mario universe.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Yeah, it sucks how we were expecting Geno only for a generic plant enemy to take his spot. And now to want another Mario character would be pushing Mario's favoritism in a game that's meant to be crossing over all games. It doesn't help that Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Wario are considered their own series when they are technically part of the Mario universe.
Very true. Geno's chances are quite slim for this round of DLC, and he probably won't get in if these are the only DLCs. Same for Dixie Kong too, she is technically a part of the Mario universe through DK, and both DK and OG Mario got new characters this iteration, when very few character slots were given out. To be honest though, I can't be too mad at Piranha Plant. It's better to love a character and be happy that he's in, for he won't leave, than to despise a character and want it to leave, because he won't leave.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Very true. Geno's chances are quite slim for this round of DLC, and he probably won't get in if these are the only DLCs. Same for Dixie Kong too, she is technically a part of the Mario universe through DK, and both DK and OG Mario got new characters this iteration, when very few character slots were given out. To be honest though, I can't be too mad at Piranha Plant. It's better to love a character and be happy that he's in, for he won't leave, than to despise a character and want it to leave, because he won't leave.
Well, he can be cut from Smash 6. It was difficult enough for Sakurai to make sure all the fighters get into Ultimate, repeating that feat can be stressful, especially with all the third-party characters that had to be negotiated.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Each day that passes I have an even harder time believing this bloody plant's an actual thing in the game... And each passing day makes me happier that it is indeed a thing. It's looking like I'll main Richter when the game releases, but I'd be lying if I said Whip Jojo's position as my main weren't being extremely threatened by one leafy boi whenever his release comes around. I love him, her, it, whatever we're calling bestplant. A welcome surprise, probably the best WTF pick possible, and looks stupidly fun. I pray that whenever we get Smash 6 (if we get Smash 6), he manages to escape being cut. Only thing that'd beat this at this point would be Sora for me. :D

EDIT: And like someone above said, if he took anyone's spot it was a WTF character's spot. Sakurai would have included a WTF character whether we liked it or not, so he most definitely didn't steal a spot from Geno or any other more 'serious' pick.

Last edited:

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Honestly? I want a character that represents the minor enemies that you run into throughout the game. they essentially make up a majority of what the protagonist has between them and the antagonist anyways, so it'd be nice to see some appreciation toward those poor souls that throw themselves on the front lines.

my personal Pick would be Dry Bones, only because i feel he can offer a little more than your average Koopa. Dry Bones could use bones and even his dislodged head for attacks, his get up animation would be him reforming like he does in the games. he could recover by temporarily getting a pair of wings, and his final smash could be calling in all the other Mario enemies to gang up on the enemies he hits with it.

I know It's an impossibility, but I really love an underdog story.
I can't believe I was so close to being correct in my dream pick of a minor enemy being in Smash Ultimate... I literally can't be happier about the goodest plant putting himself out there and shaking up the communities expectations. Truly one of my favorite new characters in smash next to K. Rool and Ridley.

To me he feels like a testament to the simple fact that, in the end, Sakurai will do as he pleases, and we really should never hold characters who "make sense" in high regard for the roster and consider them "a lock." My heart goes out to the people who had such hopes for the popular picks that didn't quite make the cut, but when I See Piranha Plant and his big goofy grin, I just can't help but smile back.

Top Bottom