• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pillar of Flame

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I thought this was worth naming...

Leap in the air, start fire breath, aim Bowser's head straight down, and you'll have created "the pillar of flame".

This has two key uses that I've seen so far:

1. Since Bowser's fire forms an L-shape when it hits a flat surface, leaping at an opponent and doing this will ensure that they cannot escape beneath you as you descend upon them.

2. You will be able to hit opponents immediately below you.

#2 is key because the PoF makes for an excellent mindgame for immediately after your opponent dies and respawns. Typically, an opponent you've slain will be blind with rage and looking for that ever so coveted "avenger KO".

To combat this, stand on the VERY edge of the stage facing your respawning opponent. The opponent will run at you, not wanting to waste their period of invincibility. As they get close, leap in the air and start the PoF and angle it as you land to catch them. At this time, their invincibility should just be running out and you'll score a 30-40% damage on them.

It works like a charm. My guess is that most opponents realize what I'm going to do and yet are blinded by the chance for revenge and to not waste their temporary invulnerability.

Me14k

Smash Lord
I do this sometimes.

Bowser's firebreath must be abused. If you nail it correctly it is 20-30 damage. Also the fire is gimpy for people on the edge, Just hold fire when they are hanging on.

When you aim head down and the other person is right next to you, if you are fast and they are slow you can grab/jab/upb right after.

Pillar of Flame is legnthy...how about PoF?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Pillar of Flame is legnthy...how about PoF?
Definitely.

And yeah, it makes for a good ledge guard as well, if you can get Bowser's head right over the edge in time.

The best use I've seen is still the baiting of a freshly respawned opponent into the PoF. There's this psychological urge to not waste that invuln and if you can convince them that you're going to stand on the ledge, they must think "HE'S RIGHT ON THE EDGE!!! I CAN GET HIM!!!"

Watch out because faster characters can get to the edge while still invulnerable after respawn, but they typically won't have more than a second or two to spend on you.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Good to know it's working. I like to hear success stories to ensure I'm not the only one that it works for and I'm giving bad advice. ;)

Also, as a reminder, Bowser's fire breath takes roughly 6 seconds to FULLY recharge from its weakest intensity to full power, meaning that you really CAN abuse it (and should) as often as possible.

Jorgon

Smash Cadet
Yup been abusing this since brawl came out, the fire is by far one of the best character tools in the game now and one of the best edgeguards.

Top Bottom