• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The perfect change for luigi

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
So, I think it's safe to say that Luigi is a pretty wavedash oriented character. That being said, I find myself often trying to wavedash earlier than his 4 frame jump squat allows, I know a lot of the characters in this game have the same jumpsquat as Luigi (call it 4 or 5 frames, depends on how you measure it, but most characters have the same). What do you guys think if it was reduced by a frame, to match that of shiek, tink, samus, ice climbers, pikachu, meta knight, lucario, sonic and fox? I think it would be perfect for him, given there's over 20% of the cast with a shorter jumpsquat, and Luigi is arguably the only one that is jump/wavedash oriented

cisyphus

Smash Ace
yeah "let's buff a character that already has no problem whatsoever."

Luigi has the quickest set of aerials in the game, brah.

Commander Fresh

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderFresh
I really don't see any indication of an even faster air game, given that we would only be making a difference of one frame before Luigi even starts any of his attacks (in addition, wavedashing is not inherently part of an air game). What I would like to know is the reason behind him being given the squat frames he has. Would reducing it to three frames change some other mechanic Luigi players may already be used to, or would nothing change at all? I definitely would like to see slightly more lenient timing requirements for his wavedash since I sometimes put in the combination a bit too fast as well, but I can't help but think that there may have been a very good reason for Luigi to have as many frames as he does.

Then again, I could be completely wrong, but we would need someone familiar with the coding of Brawl to fill us in. I would wonder why there hasn't been changes to mechanics like jumpsquat frames before if it's supposed to be such an easy job that didn't measurably affect some other aspect of the game. Then again, maybe it's simply because nobody thought it was necessary to make such a change. Either way, Luigi needs buffs. A lot of buffs. And it's not just because I main Luigi.

Okay maybe it is.

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
yeah "let's buff a character that already has no problem whatsoever."

Luigi has the quickest set of aerials in the game, brah.
You can make your point without being unnecessarily condescending, brah

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
Luigis jumpsquat is the same as melee, probably for the reason that "well it was 4 frames in melee so we can leave it the same". Changing someone's jumpsquat frames is not a hard thing to code in, they just changed a few characters' jumpsquat in 3.5 Lowering his jumpsquat would make for easier wavedashes (more lenient timing), and quicker wavedashes. Also, luigis Ariel game has nothing to do with jumpsquat. And with really bad ariel mobility like luigi, simply having fast ariels doesn't help a whole lot.

Commander Fresh

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderFresh
I was more or less questioning the reason Luigi's jumpsquats have been left alone. If they changed it for some characters, they must have considered it for Luigi. Good or bad, there is an explanation on why a change to his jumpsquat is either detrimental to the balance or unnecessary.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I think Luigi is pretty balanced. He doesn't need buffs (wouldn't complain if he got them though LOL).
He's the character that players think sucks, but he is secrety super good. That's why I love him.

Top Bottom