• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Path to Becoming a Smash Champ" - Latest NP

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
So we all know Nate Bihldorff is kind of a noob at Smash, but he had a column in Nintendo Power in the midst of the "Building Better Brawls" section that had a few custom stage ideas. I just thought it was funny he brought up the whole "casual vs competitive" argument, even if it was in a very generic way. He makes his opinion more than clear... but I thought the first few paragraphs were interesting reads that went along with some of the debates on this board. Elitist casuals using "THATS NOT HOW ITS MEANT TO BE PLAYED" get kind of owned right off the bat.

I figured I would post what he said, since no one else seems to have mentioned it. It was an interesting read nonetheless.

Nate Bihldorff said:
Ok, first, a disclaimer-there is no one correct way to play Brawl. This game is about putting a smile on your face first and foremost, and if playing Super Sudden Death in the Temple with Motion-Sensor Bombs set to high is your cup of tea, then more power to you. Conversely, if you can't imagine doing anything but one-on-one matches on Final Destination, then go for it. I've seen incredibly high-level play manifest itself in every mode of this game, and as long as you're having fun, your playing it right.

That said, for my dollar, it doesn't get any better than four-player matches with all items on. For me, Smash has always been a game of constant improvisation-of taking what the environment gives you and constantly making split-second decisions you've never made before. My most satisfying KOs are not ones where I string together a 12-hit combo that I memorized in Training mode-they're the ones where I do ridiculous things I'll probably never see again. Just yesterday I planted a Pitfall just as a Party Ball opened and dropped four Bob-ombs. I managed to grab Link and throw him upward, then I bounced off a Spring and dunked him onto the Pitfall, which embedded him in the ground...just as the troop of Bob-ombs lit their own fuses, wandered casually over, and blew him into the stratosphere. Those spur-of-the-moment strategies, combined with the skill to bring them into fruition, is the heart and soul of the game for me.

Those technical skills are essential, of course-there's nothing worse than seeing what could be a brilliant string and lacking the ability to pull it off. First and foremost, you have to know your character. No, actually, scratch that-you have to know all the characters. Truly understanding your enemy begins with fighting a mile in his or her shoes, and the better you are with all the characters, the more deeply you'll understand their weaknesses. If you play enough with everyone, you'll know attack patterns, move speeds, and most importantly, hit priority. How you stack up in every situation-in midair, on level ground, on high ground, on low ground-is crucial, and knowing that your up midair attack will trump their down midair attack could be the difference between a successful juggle and an embarrassing KO. Knowing all your moves and utilizing them all is also vital because the game does not reward stale moves-if you use the same move too many times it does less damage and knockback, so it behooves you to vary it as much as possible.

There are also little things that you should master. Ukemi, for one-this is named for a judo move where you absorb the momentum of an enemy's attack by falling correctly. In Smash, this means simply pressing a shield button at the exact moment you hit the ground, ceiling, or wall. Instead of bouncing wildly around, you cancel all momentum and spring off the surface, reading to fight. You need to master air dodging too-while you're much more at the mercy of gravity than you were in Melee, you can air-dodge many times in a row, so use your frames of invincibility to maximum effect while recovering or while avoiding Final Smashes. You're not just invincible while air- air ground-dodging, either-you get many frames of invincibility while grabbing or climbing an edge, or getting up from lying prone. Master the timing of these, and not only will you break up people's attacks with invincible priority, but you'll even be able to survive dire situations, like a Gooey Bomb on your face.

I'd definitely recommend reading through the Dojo simply because Sakurai-san has basically set it up as a massive manual for the game, so you can learn a lot about the intricacies of each character there. Beyond that, just play, play, play. And dunk people whenever possible

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I found very little useful information in that other than a bunch of general stuff I knew even while a Casual fighter.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I found very little useful information in that other than a bunch of general stuff I knew even while a Casual fighter.
It wasn't meant to be "useful," but I figured it could lead to much more interesting discussion than "What would you do if Gamestop didn't have Brawl" or "What characters should have/shouldn't have been in."

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just meant that even Casual players would go "And?" after reading that column. The only useful things in there were the namedropping of a few things.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
It's great to see how can you improve your playstyle in a casual mode, and i think is a great and interesting read. Also it states that's the way like it wants to play: there is no bad in playing the other way, I like this too.

Yuna, why do you say that? latelly, it seems like everything that isn't competitive make you go crazy...

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
Bihldorff is an awesome translator, and obviously would make a great Smash opponent.
He knows what he's talking about, and truly understands the whole essence of Smash.
He even threw in some "technical talk" for the "pros" to understand.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
I thought this was a very interesting article. Seeing his viewpoint on smash brings me back to the old days where I used to kill jigglypuffs on 99 stock with homerun bats. Or when I played in Hyrule temple with nothing but mines and bob-ombs.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
I think that it is funny that he thinks he had enough skill to pull off that pitfall thing, that was just luck...

But yes, this was worth posting here, even if we already know everything on it...

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Were any of the custom stages worth mentioning?
I wasn't too impressed with any of them, they were very crazy, wild stages and I tend to prefer more neutral stages.

There was one that looked like the Mario logo, one that looked like the Triforce, and a couple others that didn't stand out enough for me to remember.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Yeah boi, Nate! Very nice.

I wasn't too impressed with any of them, they were very crazy, wild stages and I tend to prefer more neutral stages.

There was one that looked like the Mario logo, one that looked like the Triforce, and a couple others that didn't stand out enough for me to remember.
Triforces and Mario shapes seem a little forced to me to be made into stages. But taking the stage editor seriously could probably yield some pretty creative results if done right.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Not hugely interesting but definitely worth posting, if nothing else than to see how the NP editors are representing the game in their magazine. *Shrug*

Also Yuna you kind of have to understand that all of that stuff is perfectly useful and legit discussion fodder for the casual NP crowd, whose only source of Brawl info may be that magazine. It's very appropriate for the intended audience.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Not hugely interesting but definitely worth posting, if nothing else than to see how the NP editors are representing the game in their magazine. *Shrug*
Actually Nate is the guy who translates the Dojo. He is in charge of the game's localization apparently.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Bihldorff is an awesome translator, and obviously would make a great Smash opponent.
He knows what he's talking about, and truly understands the whole essence of Smash.
He even threw in some "technical talk" for the "pros" to understand.

Nate doesn't actually know Japanese; he has translators do the basic work for him, and then he localizes / "spruces up" the text.

And I dunno why people are *****ing about this so much. I thought it was an interesting read, if only because it presents a totally valid perspective on how to play the game. Did I glean anything in particular from it? No, but I think he makes a solid point about Smash's ontological status.

Also Yuna you kind of have to understand that all of that stuff is perfectly useful and legit discussion fodder for the casual NP crowd, whose only source of Brawl info may be that magazine. It's very appropriate for the intended audience.
Indeed.

Actually Nate is the guy who translates the Dojo. He is in charge of the game's localization apparently.
(see my above objection)

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
It wasn't particularly useful to me, but I still enjoyed it. I still remember that one time that me and my brother were fighting on Peach's Castle in 64 when that bob-omb came and blew us in a V shape into each corner. Even though I'd like to get more competitive, and I haven't played with items in a few years, somehow the item KO's are just more memorable.

His KO, did sound more like luck, but it's hard to tell from reading it what happened. I know that I have to think up some sort of strategy as soon as the Bullet Bill comes (it's never a good strategy, and I've killed myself that way before, but who cares?)

pirkid

Smash Lord
"Just yesterday I planted a Pitfall just as a Party Ball opened and dropped four Bob-ombs. I managed to grab Link and throw him upward, then I bounced off a Spring and dunked him onto the Pitfall, which embedded him in the ground...just as the troop of Bob-ombs lit their own fuses, wandered casually over, and blew him into the stratosphere."

Sounds vastly fun.

Top Bottom