• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Animal Crossing Compared to New Leaf

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
K.K. Slider belongs with an acoustic guitar, not with a turntable.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wisp, flying saucers, balloon presents without balloon furniture, turning on and off the lighthouse for Tortimer when he goes on vacation, not having the pressures of mayoral duty thrown at me.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I personally like the original better. Despite being able to fully customize your character in new leaf, you are stuck with a hat and one outfit in the original which can only be changed by buying new clothes (which I hate) but the Gamecube version feels more relaxing and more smooth. Even the town to me feels huge. New leaf's town feels very small... but that is the 3ds capability. I feel sad that my favorite animal in animal crossing (ruby) is not in the original, but I'm fine with that. However... My gamecube animal crossing is very slow and lags a lot. (you guessed it. emulators)

Last edited:

Excalibur Goddess

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kerinx
I personally like the original better. Despite being able to fully customize your character in new leaf, you are stuck with a hat and one outfit in the original which can only be changed by buying new clothes (which I hate) but the Gamecube version feels more relaxing and more smooth. Even the town to me feels huge. New leaf's town feels very small... but that is the 3ds capability. I feel sad that my favorite animal in animal crossing (ruby) is not in the original, but I'm fine with that. However... My gamecube animal crossing is very slow and lags a lot. (you guessed it. emulators)
I tried playing Animal Crossing with the emulator too ;~;

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Bump. We don't seem to have any Animal Crossing topics so I guess Ill just bump this one.

I find New Leaf to be the best entry in the whole series, there really isn't any reason to go back to the other Animal Crossing games unless you're feeling nostalgic. I really prefer the updated art style from the other games, everything looks much more natural and I like that Villagers look taller. And while the town is overall kind of tiny, I don't feel like it has to be big. Its just enough to work with IMO.

FairyGardens435

Smash Cadet
NNID
FAIRYWARS98
3DS FC
2810-1101-1258
Well, the animal villagers certainly don't freak out in New Leaf if you say no to a task, compared to the original. Here's an example...

Original:
Villager: Hey, could you help me with *insert job here*?
You: No, thanks.
Villager: ...WHAT?! YOU ARE SO MEAN! YOU AREN'T MY FRIEND ANYMORE!

New Leaf:
Villager: Hey, can you help me with *insert job here*?
You: No, thanks.
Villager: Oh... that's alright.

Just something that's always bugged me about the original, but it can be funny if it's an animal villager you hate.

Last edited:

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
Nostalgia, geez, I might replay the original AC again, it was so funny and random compared to New Leaf :p

Bee86

Smash Rookie
NNID
beebianchini
3DS FC
2294-5166-9137
My personal favorite is the original, mostly because of the graphics, music, and memories attached to it, but I also love how ridiculous some of the dialogue was. I mean, look at this snarky f*cker:

But seriously, I don't think people give this game's music enough credit. Still the best in the series 15 years later.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I personally enjoyed the GCN version more than New Leaf, but I can say that New Leaf easily surpassed the original. It's the first sequel in the series I can really say has even come come close to doing that, and it does it well.

It's amazing they came up with something as good as New Leaf after City Folk where it felt like they had really given up on making a quality title anymore.

Top Bottom