• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yanmega RTP!

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman

Pokemon Name: Yanmega
National Pokedex Number:469
Metagame Tier:BL
Ability: Speed Boost/Colored Classes
Type: Bug/Flying
Base Stats:

-HP - 86
-Attk - 76
-Def - 86
-Sp. Attk - 116
-Sp. Def - 56
-Spd - 95

Movesets

Yanmega@Focus Sash/Life Orb/Expert Belt
Modest
Speed Boost
EV/ 252 Spatk/ 252 Spd/ 6 Def
-Protect
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-Shadow Ball/Psychic/Hypnosis/ HP (Ice/Ground/Fighting)

Standard Scout. Gets a free Speed Boost with Protect, then goes to killing other leads with...
---Bug Buzz for Weavile/Tyranitar(2HKO)/Azelf/Starmie/
---Air Slash for Infernape/Heracross/Toxicroak/Yanmega
-Psychic for Infernape/Heracross/Toxicroak/Weezing
-Shadow Ball for Gengar/Dusknoir/Gallade/Medicham
-HP Ground for Magnezone/Heatran/other Electric/Fire/Steel
-HP Ice for Salamence/Garchomp/Staraptor
-HP Fighting to hit all Pokemon for neutral damage with Air Slash

Yanmega@Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Modest/Rash
Speed Boost(for Specs)/Colored Glasses(for Scarf)
EV/ 6 Def/ 252 Spatk/ 252 Spd
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-Psychic/Shadow Ball
-HP (Ice/Fighting/Electric/Fire/Ground/Fighting)

YanSpecs. Colored Glasses hits for 2x the damage if the opponent resists your attack, or Speed Boost so you could potenially go faster than Scarf version of Yanmega.

Yanmega@Leichi Berry
Adamant
Speed Boost
EV/ 252 Att/ 6 Def/ 252 Spd
-Endure/Substitute
-Reversal
-Night Slash
-Hypnosis

This moveset's kind of tricky to pull off, but it can work. Just make sure your opponent doesn't have a little something-something named "Tyranitar" or "Hippowdon".

COUNTERS
Basically any Pokemon that can take a Special hit and sqiush it with a rock, burn, freeze, electrocute, or peck at it is a counter. CMBliss is a perfect example of this, but it needs to be weary for Yanmega with Reversal.

Bronzong also gets a mention with Gyro Ball as long as Yanmega has Speed Boost.

Along with Bronzong is any steel-typed Pokemon as those can wall it like... well, a windshield. The most common at taking Yanmega down are Magnezone and Heatran, but why would you stay in when they have STAB super-effective moves targeting your weaker defense?

Hippowdon, and to a lesser extent, Tyranitar and Abomasnow, counter the Reversal set.

CONTENT SECTION
Yanmega works well with Heatran and Electivire seeing as it draws a lot of Fire and Electric moves. Also good to use when you have a spinner on your team to avoid Stealth Rock. Claydol is one of the best to use Rapid Spin for Yanmega, only that they share an Ice weakness.

Based on my experience with Yanmega, it works really well with Mamoswine, those two beat four trainers in a row (some had Ubers), and I only had Yanmega faint as Mamoswine mass murder the rest of their team.

It has the potential to really scr*w over a team, but Stealth Rock and it's typing hamper that.

Movepool Physical:
Night Slash
Bug Bite
Tackle
Quick Attack
Pursuit
Slash
U-turn
Frustration
Return
Aerial Ace
Facade
Secret Power
Thief
Steel Wing
Giga Impact
Natural Gift
Reversal
Leech Life
Feint
Faint Attack

Movepool Special:
Sonicboom
Uproar
Ancientpower
Air Slash
Bug Buzz
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Giga Drain
Solarbeam
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Silver Wind
Dream Eater
Signal Beam

Movepool support:
Foresight
Double Team
Detect
Supersonic
Screech
Toxic
Sunny Day
Protect
Rest
Attract
Roost
Endure
Flash
Psych Up
Captivate
Sleep Talk
Swagger
Substitute
Defog
Whirlwind

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Good job. In the Content Section, I think you should mention Yanmega's use as a Special Sweeper. In the counters section, mention how Yanmega will be stripped of 50% of his health if switched in while Stealth Rock is in play.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

game & kirby

Smash Apprentice
weakness to fire, electric, ice, flying and double weak to rock? so what move in the OU metagame wouldn't be super effective against it?:ohwell:

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
I tend to use the first set with HP Ice over Air Slash and Hypnosis in the last slot.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: If you've got a Yanmega on your team, you better darn well make sure it's leading.

Your mission should be to stop Stealth Rock from popping up. That is all.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
:yoshi: If you've got a Yanmega on your team, you better darn well make sure it's leading.

Your mission should be to stop Stealth Rock from popping up. That is all.
Or just make sure you have a Rapid Spinner.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Metadour-2

Smash Apprentice
good job there chubbs!
glad to see some help.

however, like my good buddy Wii4mii, i think you should add to the content section, explain it a little bit more.

other than that, you did an awesome job.
you should do more.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Or just make sure you have a Rapid Spinner.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99
:yoshi: Rapid Spinners faint.

But Stealth Rocks are forever.

People should run some calcs on this kid's speed after one boost. It's fun seeing who he can and can't outrun, especially for those Choice Scarf fiends.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
:yoshi: Rapid Spinners faint.

But Stealth Rocks are forever.

People should run some calcs on this kid's speed after one boost. It's fun seeing who he can and can't outrun, especially for those Choice Scarf fiends.
Claydol FTW. Resistant to SR and immune to Spikes and Poison Spikes.

I'm not saying Yanmega is a lead is bad, though.

Well, with Modest and 252 EVs in Speed, he's at 317, outspeeding 252 EVed Infernape (315), but being just outsped in return by 252 EVed 110s. After a Speed Boost, he's at 475, which is the same Speed as max Speed, Motor Drived Electivire. 475 outspeeds max Speed Choice Scarfed 90s.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Please edit the pic to something more appropriate for a RTP. Giant animated gifs are a no.

Tier isn't OU. It's BL if anything.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
You forgot to put MOVESETS to begin the moveset section.

Of all the Hidden Powers you mentioned, I think the only really useful ones are Ice, Ground and Fighting.

In the Reversal set, you need to put Leichi Berry, not just Leichi.

Yanmega's other ability is Colored Glasses, not Tinted Lens.

In the counter section, you mentioned Hippowdon, Tyranitar and any other Pokemon that can take a special hits. Hippowdon and Tyranitar don't like Bug Buzz.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

fluffy

Smash Champion
are we just copying smogon's d/p analysis cuz this looks very similar to it.

btw the only HP yanmega needs are ground and ice. ground hits more pokes but ice always 1hkos dragons

Metadour-2

Smash Apprentice
yanmega doesn't even exist on serebii yet.
but i know what you mean, however the posts are meant to be about the pokemon on the RTP, and personal questions should be directed to either chill or myself.

in this particular case, the format was finalized and posted by chill, so i would take that up with him.

oh, and you need to bold more moves on the supportive side. understandably, yanmega is not meant to be supportive, but either way, moves like roost or whirlwind might deserve some respect.

just my two cents.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
He said smogon, not serebii. ;)

Of course they look similar to smogon because that's what the set is like. If I make a Dragon Dancing Gyarados set that happens to look like smogon's, is that wrong? Is it supposed to be:

Dragon Dance
Tackle
Flail
Bite

just so it's not similar?

Oh yeah, you put Colored Classes.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
Nice movesets for Yanmega. Unless he's leading the charge he won't be able hover very high off the ground thanx to Tyranitar and Hippowdon.

fluffy

Smash Champion
Nice movesets for Yanmega. Unless he's leading the charge he won't be able hover very high off the ground thanx to Tyranitar and Hippowdon.
what does that mean? suppereffective attacks like bug buzz or hp ice can probably ohko hippowdon. but not tyranitar because of it's x1.5 from sandstream..

still, yanmega can outrace and sweep many pokemon.

ss118

Smash Master
Need to add "Abomasnow" to the list of dangers to the Reversal set.
Also, newer players may not get why Hypnosis would be used over the other moves, so list that Hypnosis can deal with most everything else.

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
what does that mean? suppereffective attacks like bug buzz or hp ice can probably ohko hippowdon. but not tyranitar because of it's x1.5 from sandstream..

Hippowdon and Tyranitar usually carry some form of rock type move posing a big threat to Yanmega. Oh and how does a move like Bug Buzz ohko Hippowdon, but not Tyranitar? I mean, it is a dark type. Even with the special defense increase thanx to sandstream. You'd have to put every EV into it's special attack for it to ohko Hippowdon.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Hippowdon and Tyranitar usually carry some form of rock type move posing a big threat to Yanmega. Oh and how does a move like Bug Buzz ohko Hippowdon, but not Tyranitar? I mean, it is a dark type. Even with the special defense increase thanx to sandstream. You'd have to put every EV into it's special attack for it to ohko Hippowdon.
Hippowdon is normally:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk

Earthquake
Ice Fang
Slack Off
Roar / Stealth Rock

A Modest, 252 EVed, 31 IVed Yanmega using Bug Buzz on an Adamant, 0 EVed, 31 IVed Tyranitar while Sandstorm is out will do 88.56% - 104.40. It has a chance of living.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
Hippowdon is normally:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish

Earthquake
Ice Fang
Slack Off
Roar / Stealth Rock

A Modest, 252 EVed, 31 IVed Yanmega using Bug Buzz on an Adamant, 0 EVed, 31 IVed Tyranitar while Sandstorm is out will do 88.56% - 104.40. It has a chance of living.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99
That would be the EXACT Yanmega I use. Perfect Spatk IVs, EVd in Spatk and Speed, Modest, and Speed Boost... It's just sweet. Would a Life Orb or Expert Belt ensure a OHKO?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Need to add "Abomasnow" to the list of dangers to the Reversal set.
Also, newer players may not get why Hypnosis would be used over the other moves, so list that Hypnosis can deal with most everything else.
Why does Abomasnow counter the Reversal set? Reversal is SE against it. If you mean because of the Hail it brings, then what about Tyranitar and Hippowdon?

That would be the EXACT Yanmega I use. Perfect Spatk IVs, EVd in Spatk and Speed, Modest, and Speed Boost... It's just sweet. Would a Life Orb or Expert Belt ensure a OHKO?
Yes. If Yanmega has Life Orb or Expert Belt, you'd get a guaranteedOHKO.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
yeaaaaa even wii4mii says it. yanmega for uber lol
I didn't say or mention anything about Yanmega being Uber. I just said it can OHKO Tyranitar.

I may as well mention that Yanmega doesn't counter Tyranitar. Yes, when it's in against it, Yanmega makes Tyranitar flee in fear of Bug Buzz. The main problem is, Yanmega cannot safely switch in on it. Sure, predicting Earthquake and switching in can be done, but Yanmega can't switch into Crunch or especially Stone Edge. But, once Yanmega IS in, T-tar is screwed.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord

57.70% - 67.79% is not what I call a OHKO on Hippowdon.

Hippowdon is normally:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish

Earthquake
Ice Fang
Slack Off
Roar / Stealth Rock

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99
Um. No. First, few Tyranitar sets would use no HP EVs at all. Substitute sets often max HP. So let's assume that the HP is not maxed. If you weren't aware, MetalKid's damage calculator doesn't factor in the SpDef boost from Sandstorm. So with 60 HP EVs, the "standard" on many of Tyranitar's sets, Bug Buzz ranges 57.02% - 67.13% from a max SpAtk Yanmega. With Life Orb, it's 74.16% - 87.36%. With maximum HP, a Tyranitar would take 65.35% - 76.98% with and 50.25% - 59.16% without Life Orb. Far from OHKO, I'd say, no? Assuming that the Yanmega is not switching into Tyranitar (in which case it would be dead already), nor is the Tyranitar switching into Yanmega (rather dumb move)... These max HP Tyranitars pack Substitute a large majority of the time, and is slow enough to take a hit from Yanmega and then Substitute for the kill next turn. Obviously, a Tyranitar shouldn't even be staying in on Yanmega, but hypothetically if it were to, I am merely pointing out that it would win, Life Orb or not, and clarifying the fact that Yanmega is far from uber or even what many would consider "good".

fluffy

Smash Champion
bull

yanmega isnt uber but its still "good". "very good" actually.

i have lots of battle experiences to support that. yanmega with protect can scout and gain a speed boost allowing it to outrun 99% of pokemon. so yanmega therefore sweeps the sweepers. it sometimes outraces the pokes that are scarfed as well. ive had times where i won the game just because my opponent couldnt outrun my yanmega.

so in short. yanmega's very high sp atk + yanmega's unmatched speed is awesome.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
bull

yanmega isnt uber but its still "good". "very good" actually.

i have lots of battle experiences to support that. yanmega with protect can scout and gain a speed boost allowing it to outrun 99% of pokemon. so yanmega therefore sweeps the sweepers. it sometimes outraces the pokes that are scarfed as well. ive had times where i won the game just because my opponent couldnt outrun my yanmega.

so in short. yanmega's very high sp atk + yanmega's unmatched speed is awesome.
Until there's a Pokemon Yanmega can do nothing to.

Or even a Pokemon that can take a hit and strike back hard.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

fluffy

Smash Champion
of course, every pokemon has weaknesses. it's that yanmega's strength to outrun the sweepers whether theyre physical or special and using its 2 stab moves to kill them. because most sweepers have low hp. take alakazam, infernape, heracross, etc for instance.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Look, Yanmega will get owned the minute it meets anything it can't kill in one hit, because chances are, it won't to get in a second hit. 56 base special defense is atrocious, and its speed is nothing to sneeze at, but by far from superhuman. It can't even afford to stay in on Salamence or Garchomp for the OHKO with HP [Ice] without its speed boosts. This thing also gets owned by Stealth Rock has "BLISSEY, COME WALL ME!" painted in large letters on it (Therefore needing to switch quite a bit). Yanmega isn't bad of course. 116 base SAtk is pretty nice plus decent speed with 2 nice abilities and a large special/support movepool. That in itself warrants Yanmega considerable use. It's just not nearly as godlike as you make it seem. You're right. Everyone has weaknesses. Yanmega just has a lot :)

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
That's the point I was trying to get across. Yanmega makes for a great opening pokemon and that he can't really switch into much of anything that sweeps.

Top Bottom