• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Subspace Evaluation Thread

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
For all Smashers, the SE was one of the most intriguing parts of Brawl. This thread is for your own reviews, opinions, complaints, (don't try to complain too much) ;) and recommendations based on the SE.
Note: This is not discussing the plot of the SE. (although it may involve the plot during one's own thoughts)

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say SEE was what I was looking forward to. If SSBB came with multiplayer, all characters/stages unlocked, online, and a stage builder..I would buy it. Wouldn't people agree the "Brawl" component is the best part?

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
True, there are other components that are favored than others. The roster, basic brawl, and Wifi brawling are probably the most exciting. The SE was something that I, personally, was looking forward to the third most (behind stage builder and the roster). Brawl is great, but keep in mind, the SE was something that was completely out of the box. (though the arguement could lean towards Stage Builder more)

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
The SSE is one of the most disappointing additions onto Brawl, mainly for the fact that for a fighter such as SSB, a storyline just doesn't go nor is needed other than unlocking characters for multi player.
While I'm glad they didn't make it unbearable like Soul Calibur 2's, it still doesn't meet up to a story line based game, even though Sakurai had the help of the FFVII creator. The plot doesn't make sense in some places, the enemies are very unoriginal, and the style is just like in Melee, only without past Nintendo creatures.

I thought there wasn't anything wrong with the Melee adventure mode, it was a good balance of story and adventure for just a means to get unlockables and coins. I feel this was mostly a waste on programmer's and graphic artist's time that could have been used to perfect the roster, and to declone several of the characters, make things more original, and to add more that the fans have been requesting since the announcement of Brawl. Also, the cut scenes tend to be a bit hefty on disc space.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I'd rather have the SSE not exist and have more characters and stages for single player. Seriously, it's simply a Kirby game with Nintendo characters added along. The SSE will be forgotten after one week of play, yet our single player experience will forever be dumbed down.

If they wanted to add a story to Brawl, it should have been choose <insert character>, go to stadium, battle other characters, stadium gets invaded by Bowser/Ganondorf/other villain. Masterhand then invades the arena. You and villain team up to defeat Masterhand. Done.

LordLocke

Smash Journeyman
I think that it's a worthwhile addition from the casual point of view- it basically gives the game single-player legs it didn't have in the past (Who DIDN'T pretty much shelve Melee's 1P modes in a couple of days once everything was unlocked). The added co-op also gives less-competitive gamers another way to play the game (In fact, I'm a big fan of the fact that co-op's shown up EVERYWHERE- events, classic, SSE, Home Run...)

From a competitive point of view... well, yeah, it's a waste of time. But it's an interesting waste of time that definitely has a lot more then just frills and garnish of it- enough that it could have probably been released as a separate game. I consider it's addition to Brawl a bonus, not a reason for purchase, but I'll take it.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that if SSE wasn't in the game, we'd just have gotten what we're getting now 6-8 months ago instead of this mysterious, miraculous 'superior game' everyone seems to think we'd be seeing without it- as well as a considerably lower-tier music list to boot without something as 'epic' to draw the attention of outside composers.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
SSE is crappy because you have to play through 46 or so long stages just to be able to get all of the characters (and thus all of the stages).

It shouldn't be mandatory to complete the SSE in order to get Jiggz, Sonic and Toon Link. They should be unlockable through other ways (without the SSE), just like with the rest of the cast.

Spekkie

Smash Cadet
Play <insert number> of vs battles and you will have all the characters unlocked.

On-Topic: I am looking forward to playing through SSE with a good friend of mine. Have to say I'm glad they included co-op for almost everything.

@Darth: I think about 8-10 hours, If you want 100% that is.

mekrith

Smash Rookie
10-12 hours would probably be a common first time through, plenty more to get every last little thing though, of course.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Play <insert number> of vs battles and you will have all the characters unlocked.
Not true. Jigglypuff, Sonic, Wolf and Toon Link cannot be unlocked unless you've finished the SSE first. You get Sonic at the very end of SSE and you get Jigglypuff, Wolf and Toon Link by revisiting areas in SSE that will magically have new doors (that weren't there before) once you've completed the SSE.

However, after you've finished the SSE, you can unlock Jiggz, Wolf and Toon Link by other ways then revisiting the SSE. You just have to actually complete the SSE first. It's that stupid.

DarthLuigi

Smash Rookie
I can't wait to play through the SSE, and I expect that I am going to play through it a number of times. Not only is it a great way to play with every character in one nice package, but I also like the idea of playing through it many times for new trophies, stickers, etc. Co-op is also a nice addition, and I can see it being a blast if you want to do something other than normal Brawl with friends.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Not true. Jigglypuff, Sonic, Wolf and Toon Link cannot be unlocked unless you've finished the SSE first. You get Sonic at the very end of SSE and you get Jigglypuff, Wolf and Toon Link by revisiting areas in SSE that will magically have new doors (that weren't there before) once you've completed the SSE.

However, after you've finished the SSE, you can unlock Jiggz, Wolf and Toon Link by other ways then revisiting the SSE. You just have to actually complete the SSE first. It's that stupid.
Sorry to say Yuna, but you're wrong. There are a lot of people who've unlocked Sonic by literally JUST playing Vs., as well as most of the other chars without even TOUCHING SSE.

Here:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=n11T9MDaSTQ

DarthBrittinias

Smash Apprentice
I'm personally really excited to play SSE. It's the only thing that I haven't been watching videos of online because I don't want it spoiled. I like stories in my games, even my fighting games. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the multiplayer in Smash more than anything, but sometimes I just feel like playing by myself, and SSE will fill that need.

espio87

Smash Ace
The SSE is in my opinion a great addition to the smash franchise. I'm not saying it was needed but it gave brawl a new sense of epicness that was nowhere to be found in the previous games. Even if the cutscenes are not talked the story has its own plot twists that makes it exciting and you get anxious to see how it develops. And the co-op mode is a very nice option. I have to say I'm eager to play it with my friends, even though I'm currently watching a video walkthrough with all the cutscenes included.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
SSE is a very exciting feature for me, the shear thought of all my favorite Nintendo characters (Plus Snake and Sonic) teaming up to fight a greater evil is very exciting. It pretty much looks like Kirby Super Star but with Nintendo characters, which is in no way a bad thing. Kirby Super Star was my favorite game ever, and the SSE can take that, add 35 characters, add 3D (Sorta) graphics and give it an epic storyline then it's good in my book.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry to say Yuna, but you're wrong. There are a lot of people who've unlocked Sonic by literally JUST playing Vs., as well as most of the other chars without even TOUCHING SSE.

Here:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=n11T9MDaSTQ
Whoops. I apologize. Sonic can be unlocked simply by finishing Classic with 10 different characters. Jigglypuff, Toon Link and Wolf cannot. I tried all of the many false myths on how to unlock Toon Link and Jigglypuff before stumbling upon a thread where it was confirmed that you have to finish the SSE in order to unlock them (and Wolf).

It's impossible to unlock them without having first finished the SSE.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
Personally, I think there are plenty of questionable parts to the SE. Nevertheless, it will be fun for the first couple of times. The first runthrough will be unlocking characters, the second one will be getting specific trophies (mainly boss trophies), the third will be with some siblings or friends (a great function featured in the SE). After that, it will get kind of boring. So in conclusion, love it while it lasts!

Tyros

Smash Cadet
I'm what you would call a 'Casual Pro.' As in... I get into the whole advanced tech thing, I enjoy playing competitively, but at the same time, I'm laid back if I lose and go to a tournament mainly to have fun.

So... in terms of fun, I think SSE's gonna be enjoyable. I like a good story, even with all the ridiculous scenarios they've put all the Nintendo people in. It sounds good to me, and I'm actually really looking forward to playing through it. n.n

- Tyros

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does it actually cost anything to lose all your stock/characters and pick continue in the SSE? I've had to do it twice now.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
I really liked it
Cutscenes were expertly done(especially the last few)
Gmaeplay was good(mainly cause i like kirby games)
And thank god it wasn't short like heavenly sword

brawlmaniac

Smash Lord
Well i don't know about you guys, but I plan to enjoy the SSE. It looks like a very interesting addition to smash bros and it looks a lot better than the old adventure mode. I love the side scrolling idea that they implemented into it-just makes it a lot more fun. I love the cut scenes with the amazing graphics! I love how characters pair up into unlikely teams. The old adventure mode just got boring after awhile. All you did was play through a regular stage and fight some enemies. Of course, there were 3 or 4 extra stages like the mario level, link level etc. but subspace emissary looks to be very promising in my own opinion.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
Would you compare the gameplay to Kirby Super Star, instead of Kirby in general?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just from watching the cutscenes on Youtube, it's far far FAR from what I expected. With something this big, I was expecting character back stories to be expanded on, character development and more. The whole thing makes no sense with a lot of plotholes.

I think I'm going to make a fanfic that'll hopefully be better than this. I think the first chapter will involve the bus and having Mewtwo and Roy die saving everyone else when the bus is attacked by Taboo.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
Just from watching the cutscenes on Youtube, it's far far FAR from what I expected. With something this big, I was expecting character back stories to be expanded on, character development and more. The whole thing makes no sense with a lot of plotholes.
Ditto, there wasn't that much character backround, though some characters, it would be really hard. (G&W, Ice Climbers, ect.) Though there could be more opportunities in the SE, I will still enjoy it.
By the way, that piece that you're working on, can I find more info on that? (Warning: Fan-made adventure approaching!)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ditto, there wasn't that much character backround, though some characters, it would be really hard. (G&W, Ice Climbers, ect.) Though there could be more opportunities in the SE, I will still enjoy it.
By the way, that piece that you're working on, can I find more info on that? (Warning: Fan-made adventure approaching!)
No. Right now, it's just in my head. I was thinking of calling it Frater Fatalis which was something I was going to make for a machinima group I started for Brawl last year but it was made in vain because of a lack of camera mode.

Although, you're welcomed into helping me make the story. I'll just tell you some ideas over PM if you're interested.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
I think the multiplayer would have been better if they'd not spent so much time on the story mode, but from every cutscene I've watched the SSE looks cooler and cooler.

So, oh well. I'll play it and see if it's fun. I think the enemies seem interesting.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For improving the plotline, Sonic should have had a more significant role in the SE. His entrance was a bit random.
That it was. Since you have an interest in this, I'll PM you some ideas and maybe we can come with a great fanfic.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only ****ing person who gets the "Heroes Arrive late" and "Well You guys wanted sonic, so he's so awesome that he SAVES EVERYBODY AWESOMELY" thing? Come on. It's not a last minute thing. If you want to see last minute half ***... Play Sonic 360. Or more so... last minute "Lets extract the entire team responsible for the game and split them in half and tell them to make **** up when they don't have the resources because we're ******* moneyhats. HAHA!

I miss you Naka.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
Am I the only ****ing person who gets the "Heroes Arrive late" and "Well You guys wanted sonic, so he's so awesome that he SAVES EVERYBODY AWESOMELY" thing? Come on. It's not a last minute thing. If you want to see last minute half ***... Play Sonic 360. Or more so... last minute "Lets extract the entire team responsible for the game and split them in half and tell them to make **** up when they don't have the resources because we're ******* moneyhats. HAHA!
Let me rephrase that. Sonic should have had more backround to his role in the SE. I get why he arrives late, but they could have done something in reguards to his history. (this should have been done with a lot of characters)

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Keeping in mind that Sakuria STILL didn't have all the time he wanted to complete brawl, I think it's fine. I could have waited longer for the game... apparently Nintendo couldn't.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Keeping in mind that Sakuria STILL didn't have all the time he wanted to complete brawl, I think it's fine. I could have waited longer for the game... apparently Nintendo couldn't.
How could he not have time to complete this? He had two years, 700 people, and building off of Melee.

Eriorguez

Smash Cadet

You know, FREAKING FIGHTING TROPHIES do not have a backstory. Smash is not the actual characters. They are trophies come to live.

Tachita

Smash Cadet
I don't know, I think its cool
But the feeling that just for the sake of the SSE we don't got more characters makes it impossible to love
But yeah alone its pretty amazing

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I'm sorry that you all expected the SSE to be so grand.

I was expecting it to have a so-so storyline and for it to play like a Kirby game. You poeple seem to have expected it be be a game wuth a storyline better than LoZ and Final Fantasy combined and for it to be Super Mario Bros. 55.673: Smash Edition.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm sorry that you all expected the SSE to be so grand.

I was expecting it to have a so-so storyline and for it to play like a Kirby game. You poeple seem to have expected it be be a game wuth a storyline better than LoZ and Final Fantasy combined and for it to be Super Mario Bros. 55.673: Smash Edition.
That probably wouldn't have been the case if he didn't overhyped it. In the second Subspace Emissary update, Sakurai says the story mode will have character development and shows each character carrying the burden of their personal histories. I don't see that anywhere.

Top Bottom