• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Peanut Thread

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
idk I thought these things needed their own thread. :urg:

Also, if the shell breaks and a peanut pops out, you can apparently eat the peanut.

You recover a little damage when you eat it. Is this for real?

OK, this is pretty much unheard of in actual battles; You can heal yourself without using an item! I'm sure this will prove useful in tournament battles and the like.

However, there are quite a few questions that many of us are probably wondering about:

1) Sakurai said, "If the shell breaks". What is the probability that the shell will break and reveal a peanut?

2) How much health does the peanut restore?

3) Will the peanuts do anything to the character other than heal them? (You know. With them having protein and all)

4) And most importantly; How will the peanuts affect Diddy's gameplay?

A question I've been wondering is, does Diddy only have this interesting ability to help make up for his lack of weight? Or are they unique to him because he's built to be defensive? (You know. With his small structure, agility, and quick moves)

There are many mysterys surrounding these little guys. Luckily, this thread was made to discuss them.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Kentalish

Smash Lord
Well I think the peanuts barly break... like the hammers head... but if they do maybe 2-5%... just like peaches FS were the peaches are everywere its just somthing for fun

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The peanuts seem to be more like Peach's vegetables instead of healing items. I recall reading someone say that the peanuts not always break, and can be picked up and thrown again as attack items. So togheter with his Banana Peel move, I think Diddy will play a lot like current Melee Young Link as a item spammer. A small advantage would be that peanuts or banana peels won't exlode, unlike Young Link's Bombs.

A technique for healing would be shooting a peanut somewhere, pick the peanut up and avoid the enemy while throwing it on the floor hoping that it eventually breaks. Would require quite a big stage though. You could also use it when you've KO'd your opponent.

I'm thinking that the peanuts would heal just as much as the Food items from Melee, since basically they ARE food. I'm guessing it will be around 5~8% to keep it balanced. Which is rather low, but since real peanut shells contain 2 peanut nuts we can easly asume that that will be the same in Brawl too.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
This technique could prove deadly if they bring back All-Star mode. After every battle you could keep firing until you get eatible peanuts and repeat until your health is fully restored.

CORRUPTiON

Smash Apprentice
This technique could prove deadly if they bring back All-Star mode. After every battle you could keep firing until you get eatible peanuts and repeat until your health is fully restored.
I doubt they'd let that slide x_x.

I guess if there is some type of wall, you could shoot at it and hope one opens up. Can someone confirm the trajectory of the peanut shot and the amount of lag the move has?

slisenberg

Smash Cadet
Why -not- have a thread? The point of this board is to speculate and discuss diddy kong. Why would it be especially insignificant to post about peanuts? Is any discussion good then?

Also lol at nuts pun.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
You guys are totally off. Where do these assumptions come from?

Wii4Mii: Kent's right, they don't break very often at all. I actually can't remember one breaking from his regular B at all. It maaaaaybe happened once when it was fully charged, but again, I think it was only from his FS. And even then, most of them just ended up hitting the ground and disintegrating, rather than staying there. All in all, I'd say less than half of all the shells that were shot at the ground turned into nuts. 2nd: They only recover 2-4%, I believe.. 5-8 would be awesome though, LoL. 3rd: No, they don't do anything other than recover dmg. Who said they could pick them up and throw them? Idk where that came from. 4th: No, I do not think they'll be vital to his gameplay whatsoever. I'm not putting it down at all though. I was ecstatic when I first found out about them, but they just don't come out often enough to be of use (the peanuts, not his gun). If FS's are banned somehow, then we probably won't be seeing them barely at all. Other comments: About his weight: He's not light ppl! How many times do we have to reiterate this? Remember, this is going on the demo impressions, but weight seems to be much less of a factor now. Even if it turns out to be one, Diddy's not light. He seemed to me to be as heavy as Fox/Mario/Ike/Samus/Zamus/Sonic/Pit, etc. They all seem to be of the same weight class, but again, I could be wrong. Lastly, why do you assume Diddy's a defensive char? Since when does having a small structure, agility, and quick moveset make someone more defensive? I would the the opposite to be true. And besides, is anyone in any Smash game ever really been considered "defensive"? I mean, you play the game relatively the same way w/every char; you dash dance/WD around a bunch, spamming proj's most of the way if you're a proj char, you dodge and weave and run away a bit when your opponent's pressuring you until you create an opening, then you go in a capitalize on it until it's no longer safe to do so, then you start at square 1 again. Some char's are just better and punishing and can dish out more in the alotted time given. And lastly, no, I do not see him playing like Y. Link at all, that's just silly. His proj's just aren't spammable, Besides, his smash and throws especially are too good! I see them becoming the core is his gameplay, but that's just me...

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Lol, do we really need an entire thread for this? This is absolutely nuts. I haven't really used Diddy, so I wouldn't know, though.
I think that this may end up being a bigger issue than expected. If a character can heal himself, people might end up calling him broken even if it is unlikely that he actually gets a peanut. Oh and that "absolutely nuts" pun. It made me chuckel.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
i don't think the nuts are going to come out that often. even if they do, 2-4% recovery doesn't make up anything at all. you could be hit the next instant with a smash that does 20%. lol.

and if they do bring back all star mode they're probably going to disable the chance of the peanuts opening while you wait between matches.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
My question should be an obvious one, but do they break at Diddy's feet or upon impact of the peanut? If it's the latter, then I can see this being actually a disadvantage. You hit someone, they burst, and the same person you hit gobbles it up.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
My question should be an obvious one, but do they break at Diddy's feet or upon impact of the peanut? If it's the latter, then I can see this being actually a disadvantage. You hit someone, they burst, and the same person you hit gobbles it up.
i'm betting it's on impact. but minimal recovery isn't that big of a deal.

trio1000

Smash Apprentice
the worry about it messing up tournaments could be easily solved if when you set no items the penuts dont break. sakurai could easily adjust it so that happens but who knows if he would think that far into his peanut gun

Kentalish

Smash Lord
dude the peanut thing is part of his move and peanuts barley break thats the same as nesses down b then it heals him so we should ban it to

CORRUPTiON

Smash Apprentice
the worry about it messing up tournaments could be easily solved if when you set no items the penuts dont break. sakurai could easily adjust it so that happens but who knows if he would think that far into his peanut gun
That's like saying turning items off would turn off Link's bombs or Peach's turnips.

Edit: Or Dedede's waddle dees.

Red7z7

Smash Apprentice
That's like saying turning items off would turn off Link's bombs or Peach's turnips.

Edit: Or Dedede's waddle dees.
That's not quite what trio is saying, I think. He's saying the peanut is an item and not necessarily a part of the character. A good example would be Mr g&w's number 8 hammer in melee, which produces a food item that heals when items are turned on, but doesn't produce it when items are turned off. The peanut might be the same way, where it won't come out of the broken shells if items are turned off, but who knows.

And in response to n1c: Yes, some characters can be played defensively. Some characters are slow or have weak approaches, so they are more effective when played defensively. But yes, I would agree that diddy being fast and small wouldn't necessarily make him defensive, because the defensive characters are usually the ones that have a hard time getting the first hit--and at this point I don't think diddy has that problem.

As for uses of the popgun, it seems to come out fairly fast so it can be used as an edgegaurd perhaps, although I can imagine that he has better options. Maybe it can be used in conjunction with the banana peels to keep control of the stage and help you gain advantageous positioning, but I think diddy has a lot going for him so he wont have to rely on heavy amounts of projectiles. In any case, it's always nice to have a projectile, especially when you're fighting a character that out-ranges you. I like the idea posted earlier about using the popgun after a kill, in order to try to get a peanut to heal during that safety period.

NotaModerator

Smash Apprentice
Wayne, New Jersey(god its boring here...)
i think some of you guys are worrying 2 much. the peanuts just help Diddy be even better than he already is. i doubt it will make him broken. if anything, it will even out some of his disadvantages, though i dont know wat they are, i didn't go to e 4 all.

AfroThunder396

Smash Cadet
Lol, do we really need an entire thread for this? This is absolutely nuts. I haven't really used Diddy, so I wouldn't know, though.
Oh snap, he made a funny!

In all seriousness though, its probably a set percentage that the shell will break, like theres a set percentage that Luigi's side B causes him to explode. Of course, with his final smash ALL of the shells will break so that he can get all the peanuts.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
Uhm yeah.

The Popgun may be used like Links Hero's Bow.
Charge for accuracy.
Use for long distances, not at attacking distance.

Don't worry, the Diddy forum will find a way to fit it into advanced play.

Top Bottom