• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official musical instrument thread.

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Music is the one thing that says what words can't.

"One good thing about music; when it hits you, you feel no pain"
-Bob Marley
What he tries to say is that, music is the one thing that will never hurt anyone. It is very clever really, but so true ( I do realize it is also a play on words).
If you choose to ignore the fact that music has moved thousands, brought hapiness to so many, then you, my friend, are the "crack-head".
You are also extremely prejudice beyond reason. I, among others, have lost any respect I had for you.

forward

Smash Champion
I like how you generalise about a thousand years worth of musicians as being unbalanced druggies based on a few people.
I did? What specific musicians did I call druggies? What names did I use at all? I asked if people were aware of the substance abuse that goes on with these people.

You know what I like? How you try to be funny, it's ammusing.

How can you guys say that music doesn't hurt anyone? What about the kids who don't have parents to watch over them? Lucky them, they get their hands on a rap cd and because no one is around to tell them better they take it for truth. Ya, this is exactly what we need >.>

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Also, to denounce art in such a blantant manner shows me your lack of intelligence. Someone without prior experience or someone that is a "crack-head" can't repeform the achievments of an artist.

Do you know how difficult it is to draw a sketch of a room in general? The refractions of lights and shadows, the 3-Deminsional objects, and the recreation of a human's perspective? Very difficult.

Do you know how difficult it is to be a musician? To study and learn new symbols to the point where it would be like reading words, to apply that to a instrument, and to refer to the symbols while keeping a flow and moving your hands accordingly? Very difficult.

Do you know how difficult it is to be a poet? To understand the several types of poetic and literary styles aside from simple rhyming, to understand a collection of synonyms and antonyms, and to make them all work while giving them a deeper perspective? Very difficult.

Do you know how hard it is to be a writer? To not only excel in literature but to also understand how the mind works, to understand every point of a situation, all the while explaining in a detailed manner that is coherent enough so that the reader can not only understand but invision the situations and use their brain to figure out the foreshadowing and foreboding clues hidden within the words? Very difficult.

I think you understand what I'm saying.

Edit: Judging music by rap and rap alone is predjudice in that you are making a generalization based on one thing alone. Even so, rap is actually fairly deep itself. Several people laugh at this but it's true. Not all rap is unintellectual. Some are thought out and well expressed. If I started to curse and swear while answering an algebraic equation correctly it doesn't make the problem incorrect. Vulgar maybe, but not incorrect. Rap is simply a different style and nothing more.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
NO, that's not the music's fault. I hate when people are this ignorant! THAT is the parent's fault, and just because ONE bad RAP album is may influence the kid, does not mean that ALL music is devoid of anything good. And rap music wont change anybody. It's the situations that kid is in, and the many things going on at once. THAT really is what makes me mad. Oh, and you also implied that tons of musicians are druggies to answer your question. You also called EVERYONE involved in making music (singing or playing, since voice is basically an instrument) is mentally wrong. I'm sorry, but you're the one that is wrong...ugh.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I see. So Da Vinci was a druggie who never benefited society. You know what, you're not even worth the energy I'd expend refuting your pointless claims. You are just some uncultured, talentless individual, who rather than accepting that people have gifts that are more beneficial to society than anything you can do (read: nothing) so you have to bash them. Hey, if it makes you feel better, have at it. I know I'll be able to look at myself in 10 - 20 years after I have my own record label than if I remained in what I thought I wanted to, being computer programming.

You just think with the left side of your brain which is logic based and not creative based which is why you don't seem to grasp any concepts of art. Pick up an instrument and actually express yourself through, or a poem, or anything, and you'll see that will last a lot longer than anything else you can do logically. Art never dies. It modifies, changes, or continues through the people it inspires.

Now, enough of that bull****, this isn't a debate, it's a discussion of musical instruments. Any more posts on such and I will take it as spam since you aren't really backing up ANY claims and the more I think about it, the more it's just you trying to get a reaction to fill your void of a life. Show me evidence that art is useless and I'll recant.

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
I see. So Da Vinci was a druggie who never benefited society. You know what, you're not even worth the energy I'd expend refuting your pointless claims. You are just some uncultured, talentless individual, who rather than accepting that people have gifts that are more beneficial to society than anything you can do (read: nothing) so you have to bash them. Hey, if it makes you feel better, have at it. I know I'll be able to look at myself in 10 - 20 years after I have my own record label than if I remained in what I thought I wanted to, being computer programming.

You just think with the left side of your brain which is logic based and not creative based which is why you don't seem to grasp any concepts of art. Pick up an instrument and actually express yourself through, or a poem, or anything, and you'll see that will last a lot longer than anything else you can do logically. Art never dies. It modifies, changes, or continues through the people it inspires.

Now, enough of that bull****, this isn't a debate, it's a discussion of musical instruments. Any more posts on such and I will take it as spam since you aren't really backing up ANY claims and the more I think about it, the more it's just you trying to get a reaction to fill your void of a life. Show me evidence that art is useless and I'll recant.

Amen, brother.

forward

Smash Champion
I'm just voicing my opinion on something to do with music. This is an open forum to the public, and anyone with an opinion can post here. If you don't like it than tough ****.

;)

I think I made my point now so I'll stop.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Not really. In the smokers topic people took sides on a controversial topic that has two clear cut sides and added reasons. You are just a ******* that said whatever you felt like without a basis or evidence. Don't post in here again until you gain some sense and respect, so I imagine this topic will be Forward free.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but you should have expected us to voice our opinion when you called everone in the thread mentally unstable. Also, that is spam, we are talking about playing musical instruments, not about how they suck and they are screwing with our society. Anywhoo. (uhh...this is directed at Forward :))

Yeah, I love trying to improvise when playing familiar songs like We Will Rock you or Pep Rally Rock. Those are basic songs, but i can put a little twist on them :). Also, does anybody have the sheet music for the mario theme song on Alto sax.? (Legally of course )

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, it looks like I didn't even have to intervene.

Did you know that: A large amount of our moderating staff is studying humanities such as art and literature?

Did you know that: I'm a fine arts major?

Did you know that: Most things in the world are designed by people with some form of artistic or techinical skill?

Did you know that: This topic is supposed to be about discussing instruments, not you making generalizations about a trade, hobby, and lifestyle for many people?

the Marronator

Smash Ace
Also, does anybody have the sheet music for the mario theme song on Alto sax.? (Legally of course )
Well, I have plenty of video game music for the piano. It is always fun to sit down and sight read some song I already know. I have about ten sites that I get music from. Here's a good one: http://www.tloveland.com/

I could post more links if you want me to.

As for rap, it is the one type of music I don't like to listen to. That and basic techno. This is because rap is lyric based and I am much more interested in the musical part. Basic techno just gets on my nerves because it doesn't have too much depth to it. I found after I took music theory, I loved to pick peices apart, and I also found that basic techno had nothing to it.

However I do love good techno. http://www.depthcore.com/ is a great site for techno and free style drawing/photography. It's almost like the music matches the drawings. depthCORE is devided into themes of music and drawings, and I highly suggest checking it out ;) All free too.

I'm also interested to find out if there are any other serious piano players on smashboards, because I've always have felt alone... lol

saberhof

Smash Master
Music is overrated. I'd have to say that anyone who plays an instrument is mentally unstable in one way or another. Have you ever noticed how many musicians are drug abusers??? I think that they use music as an escape from their mind, but when they really should just be going to therapy, not become rock stars. The world needs less musicians and more mentally stable people to progress our species into the future.
No. ......dont know why i responded to this...

I play:
Guitar (5years)
Drums(3 years)
Bass (1 year, but dont like it)

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
In other news, all gamers are really nerds with big glasses, can't even look at a woman before giggling, never gotten laid and are all fatter than a mac truck. We should kill gamers to save the species.
Don't forget the acne!!! Or the fact that there are no wimenz on teh internetz!

Anyway, I'm a violin player, and an aspiring singer... I would be in my school's choir but for the fact scheduling classes in High school sucks. I've been a violin player for 10 and a half years, and while I could be good (I was "good" compared to most of the other violinists up until 8th grade), I don't have the time to practice. gg me.

Ah well.

On the wider subject of music, I have to say I don't like rap. At all. Country and Oldies and Classic and some Alternative for me. :)

Edit: Random question about F-flats: Aren't they the same as E-naturals? o_0

forward

Smash Champion
my last post in this thread

In the smokers topic people took sides on a controversial topic that has two clear cut sides and added reasons.
The thread wasn't about smoking being a controversial topic, it was about the culture of smoking.

All I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter what you want a topic to be about cuz anyone with an opinion (regardless of how well it's backed up) can change it to whatever they want. Just be happy there aren't more people posting like me to take this thread to hell and have no chance of return :)

people are so gullible... i'd be a good rapper... hell ya

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
I would have to say it's rather contradictory that you would post in this thread about how you can't control where a thread goes, but in your smoking thread you complain that people expressed opinions that conflicted with yours.

I make music on my computer, sequencing with a keyboard, usually, so I've gotten to be okay at playing keyboard, but I've probably developed a lot of bad habits. Even though I'm right handed, my left hand seems to be capable of being a lot faster and more coordinated in playing.

Haha, I hear people talking about e-sharps and f-flats all the time.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
The piano is my instrument of choice, though I do play a little guitar and violin. I think the piano's the easiest instrument to learn, but the hardest to master. Someone here mentioned something about taking a piece and memorizing it very quickly; same here :) (Maple Leaf Rag is a lot of fun to play, too). I can't really learn a piece well until I memorize it so I can practice without looking at the sheet music. The only disadvantage with that, however, is it's very hard for me to just start playing a song at any point other than the beginning. Some of my personal favorites that I play:

Rachmaninoff's Varations of a theme by Paganini, Prelude in G Minor, Prelude in C Minor
Debussy's Clair De Lune
Various parts of Liszt's (sp) Hungarian Rhapsody

Per discussion with Forward, "rap music" represents probably 0.1% of all the music out there, let alone the fact that music with lyrics represents probably no more than 1% of all the music out there. So judging the entire music world based on a single rap CD is absurd.

the Marronator

Smash Ace
The piano is my instrument of choice, though I do play a little guitar and violin. I think the piano's the easiest instrument to learn, but the hardest to master. Someone here mentioned something about taking a piece and memorizing it very quickly; same here :) (Maple Leaf Rag is a lot of fun to play, too). I can't really learn a piece well until I memorize it so I can practice without looking at the sheet music. The only disadvantage with that, however, is it's very hard for me to just start playing a song at any point other than the beginning. Some of my personal favorites that I play:

Rachmaninoff's Varations of a theme by Paganini, Prelude in G Minor, Prelude in C Minor
Debussy's Clair De Lune
Various parts of Liszt's (sp) Hungarian Rhapsody
I play the prelude in G minor too. In fact that was the first "hard" piano piece I picked up. Recently I have just been working on my sight reading so I can sit down and play an easy piece perfectly without playing it ever before. Really makes playing even more fun. I like to go to sites like http://www.gamemusicthemes.com/sheets.html and sight reading stuff.

And yay, there is another one that me. I know only 2 smashers other than me who appreciate music XD

Do you recommend any of thoes peices? I feel like learning another song.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sometimes you just want an F# in a few spots, even consecutive measures. Changing the Key Signature can change a bunch of other notes that you may not want to, hence "the accidental."

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Yeah, changing the key signature may have adverse affects to the music. It may not be noticble if you were to drop everything by a half step, but if you were to change the key signature of a song from A Major to E Major, it sounds completely different, because all the notes have, at the very least, a 7 step tonal difference.

You also have to remember that the composer may also be using special chords/scales, and to represent them incorrectly would musically make no sense. For example, you'll find the Neapolitan chord common in classical music. It's where you drop the second scale degree by a half step as an alternative to preceding the dominant chord by the more common II or IV. If the scale is C Major, you drop the D minor into a Db Major. So naturally, if you're in the key of Eb Major, the Neapolitan chord is Fb Major, not E Major. While it may sound the same to your ear, on paper it makes no sense to the musically trained eye.

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
No. ......dont know why i responded to this...

I play:
Guitar (5years)
Drums(3 years)
Bass (1 year, but dont like it)
Awww...give it another chance. Once you get used to it, you learn that the bass is alot more then a guitar with 4 strings. When writing songs, you really need to listen to the drummer, and the guitarist. It can become quite a percusive instrument. Very, very fun. Still, if your a lead guitarist, I guess it must be dificult to leave that position.

On another note ( no pun intended XD) this topic ( if you read the first post), asks for peoples opions on there favorite bands ( among the various other things mentioned). However, when an opinion has no base, there is no point, and, yes, it should be taken as spam.

saberhof

Smash Master
i only played the bass cause i could, its so easy after you learn guitar, besides 5 years of guitar? i shall not waste them on a 4 string lowness, i just dont like it, my friends always force me to play the bass, and ive never played the guitar at an event at my school, so maybe thats why i hate it.

UltVGmer

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually switching to a Bass pretty soon (once i buy it), i've been playing Acoustic for a while (like 9months) and now i'm going to Electric Bass, :). I've been pretty much self-taught, that's if u count learning throught the internet and some friends as self-taught, and i'm looking forward to playing the Bass, i really enjoy playing that instrument ;)

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Excelent^^^. Saberhof, I can understand how you wouldn't like it. Try doing some slapping and popping though and your mind my change. It opens up so many new doors for compostition.
Still....5 years of guitar is alot to switch to a nw instrument. Im begining to try my hands at piano! Any advice for starting out would be greatly apreciated.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
guitarist here (doesn't the name make it obvious?)

but i'm one of the few guitar players nowadays that actually know music theory and stuff lol.

Ami

Smash Ace
Clarinet - for band ... I don't really like it that much 'cause I suck at it. I've been playing it for almost five years.
Piano - I would die if my piano was taken away from me. I've been playing it for about ten years.
Guitar - I'm attempting to teach myself; I might get lessons if I'm really stuck/serious about playing guitar. But I absolutely love playing guitar.
2. Hot cross buns is easy to play.
3. Band Arrangements: The instruments we have in our band are: flutes, violins, bassoon, saxamaphones, clarinets, tuba (or is it euphonium?), trumpets, trombones, percussion, an oboe, a bass clarinet, and bass cellists.
4. Er, I have a bunch of guitar tab sites that I'm not gonna list.
Here's a piano one, though: http://www.my-piano.blogspot.com/
5. I don't think I know any.

Ami

Smash Ace
Glad you're pursuing piano, fleapy.
If you need any help, I'll be glad to give any advice if you need some!

Oh, GamerGuitarist7, I forgot to ask, I was wondering if you took any theory exams... (I hate theory, blaah)?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Is it wrong to think that it's not worth trying to learn the piano after a certain age?

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
Yet you're proud to say you're playing Falco on a silly video game for life? XD

Okay, so I love SSBM. In fact it is my favorite game, ever... but... I don't know.

Fantasia, that's cool. I love Stravinsky! Especially his Rite of Spring bassoon solo at the beginning. I am not a professional at this point, though, in fact I'm basically a beginner... XD So there is no way I can learn that solo at this point.

My bassoon teacher played it for me when I mentioned it to her, and it was amazing. I haven't heard much of the Firebird Suite, though. I do have it on CD, along with Rite of Spring, which movement is the solo on?
I loooovvve stravinsky, he's so crazy cool. The solo is on Berceuse.

Xsyven, eat it. I'm not like that anymore.

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Glad you're pursuing piano, fleapy.
If you need any help, I'll be glad to give any advice if you need some!

Oh, GamerGuitarist7, I forgot to ask, I was wondering if you took any theory exams... (I hate theory, blaah)?
Actualy, some help would ve really aprecaited. I can currently play jingle bells, and she'll be coming round the mountain ( WOOT!). I am actualy begining to slowly play " Piano concerto no. 1 op.16", By beethoven. I'm very slowly working my way way up to " your song" by Eltohn john. Anyway, Beginer songs ( abou grade 1 to grade 2) that you could recomend would be great. I can read notes, and know the theory.

What makes clarinet any more macho then the flute^^^^?

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
~Real men play Saxophone~
Fixed.

Right now I'm playing with a music otation software, it's great, and free....but...simple >.> And by simple, I mean...basic...I mean...it's not basic, but...software wise it's basic. The functions are annoying to get to. If that make sense.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I used finally and Riffworks to write and Adobe Audition to record. Top notch stuff.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I'm using a free program, so I'm guessing I shouldn't complain. Musette. Pretty good for what I want, though I would like to be able to write music easier :-\.

Nurok

Smash Lord
guitarist here.
been playing for three years...
i used to play classic rock, then heavy metalcore
now just metal/class rock

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
I'm using a free program, so I'm guessing I shouldn't complain. Musette. Pretty good for what I want, though I would like to be able to write music easier :-\.
Whats the name of it, and were an I download it. Oh, and is it legal. Just wondering. I've wanted a program like this for a while, but have insuficient funds.

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
I used to play the Alto Saxaphone, I was pretty good I guess you could say, but I played in the school band (blehhhh), I eventually quit though. :'(

Top Bottom