• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Mario Planking Thread

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Not everyone knows how plank with Mario so I decided to make this thread, which other members have been wanting for a while anyway. So here it goes:

First of all don't fully ledge-hop unless there's some distance between you and you opponent, however, delaying a DJ to stay underneath the ledge is fairly safe (great for Dairs and fireballs). Ledge-hopping backwards is also a good to avoid being punished; you can ledge-hop to slowly charge and use the FLUDD too. Ledge-dropped Uairs are also very good (Monk's favorite).

Secondly, Mario's Up B near instantly sweetspots once you let go of the ledge like MK's Up B, which makes it nearly unpunishable; I highly recommend using this when you're unsure about your options.

Thirdly, you can use cape ledge stalling for mix-ups, but I actually recommend against this unless your opponent is off-stage or you plan on following up with it, like cape off the ledge, DJ, then Bair or something.

Fourthly, cape stalling in the air is very effective for staying in the air as long as possible to bait opponents and punish opponents who try to chase you.

Fifthly, WALL-JUMP! Wall-jump can save your *** and add tons more mix-ups on stages you can abuse it on, like using Bairs.

Sixthly, control your airspace and abuse your aerials as much as possible; stay in the air as long as possible and fight opponents who chase you like you are edgeguarding them (KEY POINT!).

The reason Mario's ledge camping is so deadly is because of how deadly he is off-stage in general, and since you're near the ledge you don't really have to worry about Mario's recovery unless you really screw up.

I originally posted all of this in the MBR (a.k.a. The Pipe House). Anyway, read and give any suggestions you might have. You can also discuss the usefulness and controversy of planking if you want.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It helps to have its own thread, I suppose.

To bad this won't help me at WHOBO. They banned planking at it.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
um, in case you haven't noticed i already made a section of ledgecamping on my guide. >_> its has a lot of stuff its not complete (though it will be finished by the weekend) but its been there for like 5 days or something. -_-
Mario's planking needed it's own thread, that's why it's called "The Official Mario Planking Thread".

Top Bottom