• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OFFICIAL Duck Hunt Dog Thread

DokturSea

Smash Lord
That's right. You heard me. I think it'd be great if a character in SSBB would the Dog from Duck Hunt.

I think he'd might actually make a good, funny character. His taunt, of course, would be his most unique attribute; his laugh.

His moves could be primarily dog-based: a bite, a swipe with the paw, a headbutt. But perhaps his upB could be a copy of Peach's umbrella. He grabs a tail of a duck, which flys upwards for a moment, spearing people with its beak, then it gently floats him back down.

I dunno, I just think it'd be a funny Game & Watch kinda character.

EDIT: If you wanna add you're own moveset, just post one and I'll add it here.

Movesets
By Doktur Sea
B - Clay Pidgeon: LD launches a clay disk at his opponent. It's like Falco's laser, cannot be shot in a repetitive order like Fox, but it knocks the enemy back a little.

Smash B - Fighting Duck: LD throws a duck a short distance. If it hits an enemy, it begins to thrash around, doing substantial damage and the enemy can't get out of it until the duck disappears after a second. If the duck misses, it will thrash around on the ground, knocking anyone who touches it away.

Down B - Tall Grass: A patch of tall grass quickly grows from the ground around LD. If he is hit by a projectile while in the grass, he'll pop out and have the item in his hand. It will not work with energy type projectiles or physical attacks. There is not much of a "windup" time, but there is a signifigant lag afterwards, whether LD is holding an item or not.

Up B - Flyaway: LD grabs the feet of a duck, which flys upwards frantically, damaging anyone it comes into contact with. This can be used as LD's thrid jump. After LD has let go, the duck will continue to fly upwards, damaging anyone it hits.

Taunt: Guess.

Possibly victory pose: Holds up two ducks like he does in the game when you successfully shoot two birds down.

Kirby hat: Nose, ears, and white markings on face.

By Ferro de Lupe
Taunt - I'll give you two guesses.

Up + B - Flight of the Ducks - Dog pulls two ducks from nowhere and holds firmly onto their necks. The ducks flap very quickly and bring Dog up with them, until they manage to break free of Dog's grip. Anyone caught in the way will be hit with their wings.

Down + B - Tackle - Dog jumps into the direction he is facing (as if he were pouncing on a duck.) Anyone hit gets knocked over and takes about 10-15 damage.

Smash B - DUCK! - Dog releases a duck in the direction chosen. In a frantic attempt to get away, the Duck flys for a distance (like Zelda's Smash B) plowing through anyone in it's path until it shoots off into the sky (classic Duck Hunt style.)

B - Disc Launch - Remember the disc section of Duck Hunt? Well, Dog would throw these at his opponents.

A moves - Various biting and clawing attacks.

Air attacks would be something to spend some time thinking about before I could come up with anything.

Super - Zapper - (As suggested earlier) Dog would perform his classic "hunting for the ducks" routine (music included) you see before each round. After he jumps behind the bushes that have suddenly grown from the ground of the metallic stage, he pops back up and laughs at you. In a fit of rage, the "player*" would start shooting the screen to kill the dog, but miss each time. Instead of his target, he would hit each of the opponents on the screen at least once.

By Aeris
B - Duck Toss: LD lobs a (dead) duck. Chargeable / aimable
Up B - Duck Flight: Two ducks fly above LD. He grabs them and flies upward, and the ducks fly off into the distance
Side B - Duck Drag: LD grabs hold of two ducks (one in each hand / paw), and the ducks fly forward, dragging LD along in a frenzy
Down B - Duck Hunt: A shot is fired, and a duck falls from the sky. LD jumps offscreen to tackle it (temporarily invincible, since he isn't onscreen)

By xianfeng

B - Duck Throw - LD looks around and pulls out a Duck and throws it, sorta like Yoshi's B ^
B > - Clay Disk - LD grabs 3 clay disks and hurls them foward one after the other they do a lot of damage so there is a bit of lag and they arn't controllable
B ^ - 3 ducks fly on the screen so LD grabs onto their legs and is dragged upwards the ducks in a panic flap their wings around everywhere doing about 5% damage to whoever gets in their way after a bit the ducks break free
B v - Chomp - Duck hunt Dog does huge chomps on either side of him when in the air he lunges downwards with his mouth open then he shuts it.

By Empy
Smash B; Barking: the dog chases his enemies away like the birds in DH. Sorta like Mewtwo does only with the enemy making a more upward motion.

Neutral B; Zapper: the dog takes out his Zapper and shoots thrice. Works just like Falco his gun.

Up B; Flight of the Duck: as many others suggested.

Down B; Clay Disk: The Dog goes behind the grass from DH for half a second to pick up a Clay Disk. Works just like Peach her turnips except that the clay ones do 1% more damage but break apart on impact. There should be a small change that you get a duck instead of a Clay Disk which would work more like a Mister Saturn, but flying and would have to be "re-grabbed" with Z. Also as a joke, he'd pick a turnip out of the grass once in a while.

He would normally stand on two legs facing towards the player. With a low walking speed and still on 2 legs, but now towards his enemies, but when running drop down to all four and be much faster, a whole lot like bowser has now.

His first jump shouldn't be all too high as it's made from two legs, but his second should compensate as he makes his double jump with four legs.

His neutral A should just be an attack with his paw. In this attack his "fingers" should be faced upwards and his "handpalm" towards the oponent. He would be standing upright and repeat the same attack on every A hit, just not as fast as the continued attacks from Fox/Sheik/C.F. etc.

His down A should be somewhat similar but now with the back of his paw facing toward the screen and the dog on four legs again.

His up A should be an very minor jump (more just to animate the motion, no actual gameplay advantage) and then biting his oponent.

His forward A should be a small charge from the standing (upright) position and then just bashing his head into an oponent, landing on all fours but obviously standing up again after.

His aerials should all be spikes (joking here).

To his Final Smash, I like the ideas so far, with the "duck hunt player" should madly because of the laughter. It's obviously something we've all done o so many times before and really gives that retro feeling. What I would like to see slightly different, is that when the dog starts glowing from the Smash Ball, he starts appearing and disappearing everywhere on the screen really fast, laughing all the time. So basically, the player is shooting everywhere to hit him but in the dog his mad rage he is just way too fast.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Yes, he would be an awesome addition to the game. He could also be another retro character(ics, pit, gaw)

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
On all fours or standing up? I think just to make things easier he would be standing up. It'd also be funnier to see.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
The idea of putting crazy Nintendo characters(most of them are weird too) in a game where they fight is a crazy idea too, but that worked out quite nicely.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I wouldn't use him but I my sister would and he would be fun to verse, I would rather him than Master Cheif (I was gonna post something nasty but instead I though I would put a positive spin on it :D)

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
nothing is kinda out there wit nintendo. Look at GAW and Snake.

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
I WANT TO KILL THAT DOG! >:0

Yes. I want him added.

Even though it probably won't happen.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
-Mace-Solo- said:
On all fours or standing up? I think just to make things easier he would be standing up. It'd also be funnier to see.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't think they'll have any quadropeds in the game, just to make it easier to fight.

And hey, don't say "it won't happen". If someone had theoried on Game & Watch in the pre-Melee years, people would've laughed at them and said that exact same thing. Anything could happen, my friend.

Oh, and I though of another duck-based attack for him. His B attack could be something like Falco's laser. He throws a Duck, which flies in a straight like, doing major damage and disappearing when it hits someone/something.

LtFoeHammer

Smash Apprentice
I know his Super move! Ducks fly from the bottom of the screen, then all your opponenets get shot.

Also, I'd love a Duck Hunt level with platforms in the trees and random ducks like the Flyguys in the Yoshi level. Plus, it could replace Flat Zone as the stupid small level that everyone hates.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
As a character? Hell no.

In the game some way or another? Hell yes.

The new Game Over screen?

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Man, the more I think about Laughing Dog, the cooler he becomes in my mind. I can see it all now...the trailer where they unveil his exsistance...

It starts out with all the characters soo far fighting in a stage in the middle of a grassy field, dramatic music playing vigorously in the background. Then, Mario sees out of the corner of his eye a duck go whizzing by. Both Snake and Link too notice the duck. Then, the music and fighting comes to an aburpt stop as a shot rings out and the duck falls to the ground. Suddenly, a dog leaps from the bushes and grabs the duck. Raising on two legs, he turns, the duck raised above his head. The frame freezes, the words "NEWCOMER: LAUGHING DOG" appear across the street, and the music starts again as L.D. launches the Duck at Wario, sending him flying.

*looks at what he just wrote*

I need a life...

Vanilla

Smash Apprentice
This is the best idea ever. Seriously, now that I think about this, this is the number one new character I want.

When I say "Nintendo" to someone who's not a serious gamer, they usually say something like this:

"Oh my god, I used to have one of those. With the little gun thing and that like duck shooting game..."

Duck Hunt and Super Mario Brothers are arguably the two most known Nintendo games of all time. Mario is certainly well-represented in Super Smash Brothers, why not represent Duck Hunt a little bit? I can totally see the Laughing Dog being an awesome character.

He better have a move that involves the Zapper somehow though, that'd be awesome.

I actually think there's some potential for it to be a character, let's look at some history and facts:

Besides, if you've looked at things at all, you'll quickly realize that Nintendo usually has an agenda with their characters. After Melee was launched with Ice Climbers in full 3D, Nintendo re-launched Ice Climbers in not one, but two different forms. One was the silly eReader card thing and the other was in the NES classic collection or whatever.

Now let's look at Wii and Nintendo's future plans. According to this article on GamerPlug, Nintendo is releasing a new form of the Zapper for the Wii. Why would they do this? Multiple reasons I'm sure, but Nintendo did mention that they would be selling classics on the Wii for download. What better classic to headline their sales than Duck Hunt? Is there a better way to promote Duck Hunt than to just add a character from it to Brawl?

It's not too far out of an idea if you actually look at the facts a little bit.

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
You know, there is a Duck Hunt Wii coming out. It's not just the duck hunt nes download, which I'm sure they'll have. I used to think that the dog wouldn't stand that much of a chance, but after some time (but mainly remembering the release of Duck Hunt Wii) he has a greater chance than I previously thought.

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
xianfeng said:
Laughing Dog would win because he has a way higher chance of getting into brawl then master cheif does
than*

kthx

Master Chief > Laughing Dog

But Laughing Dog would be a fun new addition because he would make a unique addition.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
UNKN{OWN}iXi said:
than*

kthx

Master Chief > Laughing Dog

But Laughing Dog would be a fun new addition because he would make a unique addition.
gramer nazi
Laughing Dog>Master Cheif

With Duck Hunt Wii confirmed this makes me think that laughing dog actually has a chance

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
xianfeng said:
gramer nazi
Laughing Dog>Master Cheif

With Duck Hunt Wii confirmed this makes me think that laughing dog actually has a chance
Actually that might be a good chance now that it is in fact a game. LAUGHING DOG IN BRAWL!

MC > LD FTW

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Nintendo is also trying to appeal to retro gamers with their downloads and adding Laughing Dog to Brawl is just adding to their retro sales, this idea just keeps getting better and better doesn't it :laugh:

btw LD>MC ftw

nomis

Smash Journeyman
DokturSea said:
Man, the more I think about Laughing Dog, the cooler he becomes in my mind. I can see it all now...the trailer where they unveil his exsistance...

It starts out with all the characters soo far fighting in a stage in the middle of a grassy field, dramatic music playing vigorously in the background. Then, Mario sees out of the corner of his eye a duck go whizzing by. Both Snake and Link too notice the duck. Then, the music and fighting comes to an aburpt stop as a shot rings out and the duck falls to the ground. Suddenly, a dog leaps from the bushes and grabs the duck. Raising on two legs, he turns, the duck raised above his head. The frame freezes, the words "NEWCOMER: LAUGHING DOG" appear across the street, and the music starts again as L.D. launches the Duck at Wario, sending him flying.
I am going to make an intro for SSBB (through a picture slideshow) soon. I'm going to incorporate this idea. Thanks.
Vanilla said:
Duck Hunt and Super Mario Brothers are arguably the two most known Nintendo games of all time. Mario is certainly well-represented in Super Smash Brothers, why not represent Duck Hunt a little bit? I can totally see the Laughing Dog being an awesome character.
Top 20 (sales of all time I think)

* Super Mario Bros. (NES - 40.24 million) [50]
* Pokémon Red and Blue, and Green (GB - 31.37 million) [51]
* Tetris (GB - 30.26 million) [52]
* Duck Hunt (NES - 28.31 million) [53]

Source: Wikipedia

The rest of your post: Preach on. He'll be an AWESOME character in the game.

I can picture his moveset already... all index-finger related. That thing is made out of adamantium - I've tried shooting at it for 15 years and yet it still remains!!!

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . .Laughting dog in SSBB. . . Hell naw!

I don't care how "Nintendos trying to bring back retor gaming" or "how many sells duck hunt got" thats just not going to happen. . . As a character that is.(He could be on a stage back ground our something.)

Chances are that Nintendo would make a new Duck Hunt game and not just put him in as a throw back character like Pitt.

(I see a weaker pichu being in the game before him. . . )

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
xianfeng said:
Nintendo is also trying to appeal to retro gamers with their downloads and adding Laughing Dog to Brawl is just adding to their retro sales, this idea just keeps getting better and better doesn't it :laugh:

btw LD>MC ftw

Indeed, I do agree.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Though I didn't find the actual post, I do remember a bit of it.

Up + B - Flight of the Ducks - Dog pulls two ducks from nowhere and holds firmly onto their necks. The ducks flap very quickly and bring Dog up with them, until they manage to break free of Dog's grip. Anyone caught in the way will be hit with their wings.

Down + B - Tackle - Dog jumps into the direction he is facing (as if he were pouncing on a duck.) Anyone hit gets knocked over and takes about 10-15 damage.

Smash B - DUCK! - Dog releases a duck in the direction chosen. In a frantic attempt to get away, the Duck flys for a distance (like Zelda's Smash B) plowing through anyone in it's path until it shoots off into the sky (classic Duck Hunt style.)

B - Disc Launch - Remember the disc section of Duck Hunt? Well, Dog would throw these at his opponents.

Air attacks would be something to spend some time thinking about before I could come up with anything.

Super - Zapper - (As suggested earlier) Dog would perform his classic "hunting for the ducks" routine (music included) you see before each round. After he jumps behind the bushes that have suddenly grown from the ground of the metallic stage, he pops back up and laughs at you. In a fit of rage, the "player*" would start shooting the screen to kill the dog, but miss each time. Instead of his target, he would hit each of the opponents on the screen at least once.

:)

* = By player, I mean of the old Duck Hunt game.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Black/Light said:
. . . .Laughting dog in SSBB. . . Hell naw!

I don't care how "Nintendos trying to bring back retor gaming" or "how many sells duck hunt got" thats just not going to happen. . . As a character that is.(He could be on a stage back ground our something.)

Chances are that Nintendo would make a new Duck Hunt game and not just put him in as a throw back character like Pitt.

(I see a weaker pichu being in the game before him. . . )
I see it happening a lot sooner than master cheif and there is no way toget pichu weaker than it is now.

Laughing Dog is one of the most recognised characters of all time almost moreso than sonic and Mario, he had a game everyone remembers and his laughing was the fist thing gamers remember about their gaming laugh think about it all over again, SSBB could give people the chance to relieve their early gaming memories by playing as their former foe or smashing the beep out of him, this is out time to shine people Lauging dog for SSBB

LD>MC anyday mate anyday

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Ferro De Lupe said:
Though I didn't find the actual post, I do remember a bit of it.

:)

* = By player, I mean of the old Duck Hunt game.
Dude, those are some AWESOME idea! Thanks for your imput! I especially like the UpB, B, and SmashB moves.

nomis: Really? Cool! ^_^

LtFoeHammer

Smash Apprentice
This idea wins. I'll think of a complete moveset soon. (Love how you springboarded off of my vague idea and made his super-move into something cool. +1 awesome.)

NukeA6

Smash Master
I wouldn't like Laughing dog in SSBB unless he had the light-zapper.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Maybe in the never-to-be-made Smash Brothers 6.

But I've got one question. What would the announcer call him? How can you have a fighter that has no real name? Okay, Game and Watch did it, but you couldn't call the Dog Mr. Laughing Dog, or Mr. Duck hunt. It just wouldn't work.

[Also L.D. is gold. It's like VD, but ten times better]

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
All I can think of this Dog...that could be put in SSBB.... is his taunt...the famous laughter. But..it's doesn't fit the game. I don't really want to see this dog walking around the stage using only two legs...it's scary and stupid.. And if he went onto the stage and walked on his fours...it's just lame. everyone would be taller than him. A really obvious disadvantage. I can already imagine Capt. Falcon kicking him in the nose without any effort.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Laughing Dog sounds like a very cool idea. All of his moves would have Duck Hunt sounds, and Ferro De Lupe moveset is quite nifty. As for the name I have a couple of guesses:

-Laghing Dog
-Hunter Dog
-Dog

But a Dog is not a Mister, it's a dog...

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I think his name would just be Laughing Dog. Or maybe just Dog. I dunno. Laughing Dog has more of a ring to it, IMO.

OK...for one thing, he totally "fits into the game". I mean, we've got plumbers, a dinosaur, a giant turtle, a gorilla, a bird, a fox, and many other weird characters fighting together. And you don't find a fox and a falcon walking on two legs, weilding guns any stranger than a dog walking on two legs?

Top Bottom