• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next Generation: Pokemon X and Y confirmed

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The Pokemon Direct livestream from just moments ago announced Pokemon X and Y versions. This is the 6th Generation of Pokemon, slated for a worldwide release October 2013 for the 3DS. Main series Pokemon is finally in 3D.

Trailer:
Starters:
Legendaries:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
And all the people who thought this was a 3rd gen remake exploded.

XD No, but really, this is awesome. I had no idea what kind of announcement this would be but I thought it would've been more than just new games. Oh well~ Can't say I'm complaining here XD

More info for the curious:

-All 3D models and battle grounds, no more sprites

-3D Trainer models

-Interactive areas similar to the Plasma Frigate and the Nimbasa Roller Coaster in B/W/2

-Pokemon still do not follow you (from HG/SS)

-Will be released in Japan, US, Europe, and Australia at the exact same time in October 2013

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Spasm attack in 3....2.....1....

*spasm attack begins*

The way everything looks makes it a whole different game! I just hope it's not a trite plot again -.-

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
New Pokémon, worldwide release, featuring Pokémon from the previous generations, the cel-shaded graphics look good... the 3DS just keeps getting better and better.

Which starter are you gonna pick? I think I'll choose Froakie...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Very hyped for this, I hope this gen pulls through like gen 5 did (of course, feeling free to try something new), I think i'll enjoy playing this one a lot.

And i usually go fire or water for starters: Charmander in gen 1, Piplup in gen 4 and Oshawott in gen 5. ^^

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I have to say, I am liking the concept, what with finally getting rid of the sprite-based graphics (though admittedly, I'll miss them lots). The starters (save for I guess the Fire starter) look like crap, though I'm sure - or rather hoping - their evolutions helps to make up for that.

All things considered, I am surprisingly optimistic, and given how soon it's being released, I hope that sites like Serebii can get us sneak peeks at the other new Pokémon. One question I do have is whether or not they'll give new evolutions to older Pokémon, or are they really going to move on having started with Gen V.

My final thought: Gee, X and Y Versions? I guess they ran out of ideas for colors and minerals, so now they're going with the alphabet. 20 bucks say the third title will be Z Version. Also, I am a bit surprised they didn't do a remake to Ruby and Sapphire (yet).

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Sapphire Dragon: ehh... I don't remember Gen III having dragons as legendaries (besides Rayquaza)... Gen IV and V, on the other hand...

I posted this in the SSB4 speculation threads but, here's more appropriate:

the Japanese logos feature a rainbow double helix. considering that is the shape of the DNA and there are X and Y chromosomes... I think it will be a theme of the new games... perhaps Mew or Deoxys will feature again?

maybe the villain team's plans will involve genetic manipulation?

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
@Sapphire Dragon: ehh... I don't remember Gen III having dragons as legendaries (besides Rayquaza)... Gen IV and V, on the other hand...
Yeah, I meant Rayquaza for Gen 3. He was pretty central to the whole story as being the calmer of Groudon and Kyogre.

I'm also wondering if they're going to start making games (including this one) downloadable from the 3DS eshop? They've done that for Rumble blast and several other non-Pokemon related titles. Not having to keep cartridges around anymore would be so amaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hard to tell exactly what types they are. :O

I'll probably be picking Fennekin as well for this one.

@Diviner: Well I was sure that the succeeding game (one, oh how wrong was I?) for gen V would be pokemon grey (oh yes, I was soooo wrong).

Lets not count our chickens before they hatch. I'm half-expecting X2 and Y2 at this stage! :laugh:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
something I noticed though, is that the Golurk statue also has an Eevee and a Palpitoad as well as a sort of knight or trainer...

two water frogs (Froakie and Tympole) in the same region? I also noticed that the world is very European based: the houses look very much like those in central Europe, a building very similar to the Eiffel Tower...

do you think the world will be based on France or maybe based on Europe in general?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I also think there will be a Fire and Psychic Gyms... or maybe the Fire one was actually an Elite Four...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I would like a Dark-type Gym at last...

and please don't make the Fire starter have Fighting-type upon evolution again...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
they announced this game 10 months before release... couldn't be worse than announcing Smash about 2-3 years before release.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm probably just a stick in the mud, but I feel like this information is coming way too soon.
I thought that too but I think they've put too much in to the trailer for it to be anything other than what we think it is. Or do you just mean you're worried it won't be a properly thought-out and fleshed-out game?

Also, looking for a psychic gym in the vid now... thanks frost. :p

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Luco: that Gym with the messy floor, right? It also features the Gym logo from Black / White.

maybe Fennekin will also be Psychic-type? I have seen it using a seemingly Psychic type move... could he be another Pokémon based on the Kitsune of Japanese mythology (tricky foxes with fire and supernatural powers like illusions and other kinds of tricks) like the Vulpix and Zorua lines?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I thought that was kirlia doing it (was it kirlia there? One of them...) but I could be wrong.

And yeah, saw it and paused the vid. that's definitely a psychic gym. I feel the fire one would be elite 4... gyms don't usually go for that monumental feel...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
if they don't have Ghost, Ice, Dark, Psychic, Fighting and Dragon Elite Four, it will be a nice refreshing feel for the E4, since those types are overused as E4 types.

D

Deleted member

Dang it, I still have yet to beat White 2.

Hmm, I like Fennekin's design the most, though I like Froakie's too. None of these have particularly good starter designs, honestly.

I definitely don't like the designs for the new legendaries, but then again, I never use legendaries.

I do like the jump to 3D, as well as the worldwide release date.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
they announced this game 10 months before release... couldn't be worse than announcing Smash about 2-3 years before release.
I thought that too but I think they've put too much in to the trailer for it to be anything other than what we think it is. Or do you just mean you're worried it won't be a properly thought-out and fleshed-out game?
The release date is very questionable though. For a title that's expected to be on the 3DS, you'd expect Nintendo to take the game development slow and steady.

Basically, October 2013 just seems too soon for us.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
maybe they were developing secretly during Gen V? the game seems to be already far into development.

and I don't think Black 2 / White 2 took much time for Game Freak to develop, since they borrow a lot from the original BW.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Just saw the trailer on Youtube a few minutes ago!

I will say though that I am also a bit skeptical about this release date... This game must have been in development since B/W was released at least.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Dang it, I still have yet to beat White 2.

Hmm, I like Fennekin's design the most, though I like Froakie's too. None of these have particularly good starter designs, honestly.

I definitely don't like the designs for the new legendaries, but then again, I never use legendaries.

I do like the jump to 3D, as well as the worldwide release date.
Personally, I enjoy Fennekin, :I on Chespin and :? on Froakie haha. :p

The release date is very questionable though. For a title that's expected to be on the 3DS, you'd expect Nintendo to take the game development slow and steady.

Basically, October 2013 just seems too soon for us.
maybe they were developing secretly during Gen V? the game seems to be already far into development.

and I don't think Black 2 / White 2 took much time for Game Freak to develop, since they borrow a lot from the original BW.
Yeah, basically what Frost said. I wouldn't be surprised if they've had this game in the works ever since BW was first released. They wouldn't have needed to put a lot of work in to BW 2 and thus could have spent some time working on this game.

Serebii is probably going crazy as of right now. :p

Nido

ily Sebby
I'm not sure what to think of these ones...
But if the fire starter is fire/fighting AGAIN I will be so pissed off

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Luco: I gave a sneak peak there and yeah, things are crazy... and in GameFAQs's Black 2 board, it's legions of haters saying that the new starters suck and all that jazz...

I might be posting on Serebii for a while, if you see anyone with the username "Master-o-Darkness", that's me. =P

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I should probably get to work on beating Black and White. lol. I haven't touched those games since reaching N in the final battle (resetting for IVs against Zekrom is a real pain). XD

do you think the world will be based on France or maybe based on Europe in general?
My thoughts exactly. I believe it will be based in Europe, which is fine by me, seeing as I love the aesthetics of European cities and such.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Another problem is the Pokemon Dream World, as it would have to be updated to support not just Nintendo WFC, but also, Nintendo Network; 3DS titles do not use Nintendo WFC.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yep, just checked, Serebii is going crazy. :3

Thankyou history class, for teaching me how to make the most of sources.

So glad I noticed info there I might have other-wise missed, most notably gym types. :D

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm really digging the look of these new starters so far (moreso than Gen 5's for sure).

And I'm 99% positive the fox won't end up being another Fire/Fighting.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Another problem is the Pokemon Dream World, as it would have to be updated to support not just Nintendo WFC, but also, Nintendo Network; 3DS titles do not use Nintendo WFC.
Agreed. Though, I don't think this would be that much of an issue. Worst case scenario, they can create a separate server for Dream World related to Gen VI onward. Don't know how good or cost-efficient such an idea would be though.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm really digging the look of these new starters so far (moreso than Gen 5's for sure).

And I'm 99% positive the fox won't end up being another Fire/Fighting.
True but at the same time, it's not like I ever thought torchic would become a dual fighting type as Blaziken... >_>

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
I reckon all the big fuss is having it release on the same date.

I'm also very interested to find out the relationship between the new legendary mascots, I actually like them, very original.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
True but at the same time, it's not like I ever thought torchic would become a dual fighting type as Blaziken... >_>
Nobody expected it which was what made Torchic's evolution line so awesome (my personal favorite starter after Charmander). Chimchar and Tepig were the wannabe's.

I just realized this is the first grass starter that isn't some sort of reptile. Very interesting.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So glad I noticed info there I might have other-wise missed, most notably gym types. :D
Are you implying they already covered gym types? If so, please elaborate, because I just went to Serebii and didn't see anything (unless it was on the forums, which I never visit).

*crosses fingers for Dark-Type gym*

Top Bottom