• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Next Gen of Pros

Aidebit

Smash Journeyman

If such a player exists, one that's better than anyone we've ever seen before, then good. If you need me, then I'll be watching players who I can see the results of, players who have videos, players who can prove that they're good. And I'll be praising them, because they showed their skill to me concretely.

From what I read, (sorry if I strawman) you're saying that there might be a person better than the best, and it's just that that person hasn't shown it to us. Well, I'd rather believe in videos, results, and stuff that you can evaluate and analyse rather than a possibility which, in my opinion is implausible.

If we don't have their data, then we don't assume that they exist. If they start coming out, then great, the metagame will start advancing much faster. But we can't just assume that something that has no precedence or proof exists, especially in this day and age, where tons of data is being uploaded every day.

SSJ Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why anyone would obsess over someone playing Smash Brothers at all, but I merely stated it as a possibility, however arbitrary and irrelevant seeing as it was never the point of the argument. (All he did was backpedal, draw straws and go off topic.) On a side note, I'd imagine such an event would be more probable for the 64 incarnation. I'm not saying there is or isn't such a person(s) out there, merely acknowledging the possibility, which again, was not the focus of the last argument on my behalf.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Link me to this items discussion, it sounds fun. I will be debating against, but I would like to see arguments for.
You've been invited to the social group, check out the Items In Smash thread. Anyone else interested in getting in on it let me know!

Anyways back on topic. I think it is very true that we'll see new big names. This smash will bring us a new gneration of players just like Brawl did, let's expect it to happen.

Waite

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rumpojec
While I know I won't be pro (kid on the way, other responsibilities), I'm very excited to be in on the ground floor for a Smash title and I'd like to at least have confidence to go to some larger tournaments and place.

Hopefully, this doesn't turn out like Halo 4 did for me a couple years ago. Loved competitive Halo, got in on the ground floor, worst competitive title in the series and the community dried out in months. Luckily, there's still some other Smash games to fall back on with strong communities around them if Smash 4 doesn't work out.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord

Please never pursue a job in pharmacy, architecture, safety simulations, the space program, or really anything where people's lives might be at stake.

Just because there are a lot of people on this planet, doesn't mean that every one of them has played Smash bros, or logged a significant amount of time on them. You just need to look at the sales totals of Melee and Brawl discs and assign a reasonable value to the number of people that could get practice off of them, taking into account that not everyone who practices Smash owns it (even though anyone who is looking to acquire sufficient skill at the game should own a disc, but shared games and Smash groups/communities exist and can run off fewer than one disc per person) and accounting for the circulation of used discs to new people (though anyone who gets a used disc also means someone else lost it.) Even if you multiply the sales figures by a very, very liberal 5, you get a number of people a lot smaller than six billion, far less capable of the kind of upset you're talking about.

Secondly, let's talk about how little it matters even if we accept your hypothesis as true. If these "good" players don't attend tournaments ... they're statistical trash. Tournament results are a viable, rigorous way of measuring player skill. If players don't attend these for any reasons, it means we have no significant way of actually measuring their skill level. In fact, what does "good" even mean in the absence of tournament experience? What definition of skill are you using? What metric?

Even if I were to supply your undelivered definition for you, saying that by "good" or "better than the pros" you mean that these non-tournament-attending players "Can consistently beat or go even with the professional players in matches played under common tournament rulesets", well, then ... you're dreaming. If you think years of experience playing a game at a frequency and consistency none of us ever achieve does not beat out anyone who limits their experience by not attending competitive tournaments, automatically losing out on a wide range of experience that is not reproducible by solo practice or practice with the same group repeatedly ... I think you've gone past affronting statistics at this point. Logic is starting to take notice.

Please, Niko, read a book or take a course on the subject of stats at some point. Learn the inherent dangers of misunderstanding data, or of ascribing value to anecdotal evidence. It's not just academic, but an important life skill. People have jobs crunching numbers because it's relevant, not because we don't have enough ways to spend tax dollars.

Thanks for the laugh, though. My roommate has this to add: "Yes, statistics will take you so far. How far do you want to go? That's how far it will take you."
You need to take a chill pill dude. I don't see why it's that hard to believe that someone who doesn't go to tournaments can be better at A VIDEO GAME than people that do. You don't have to write me an essay about it, nor do I see a point in responding to all of your statements. I don't feel like arguing with people that just don't get it.

ThomasTheTrain

Smash Cadet
Oh please, statistics only get you so far.

No one knows exactly how good every Smash player in the world is, so no one can say there isn't someone better. This, in essence, is comparable to the debate on the existence of god. No one knows enough to truly state either or, and it is all left up to belief. I believe that because of the sheer number of people on this planet, there will obviously be better players that could either simply not go to tournaments, barely have where you wouldn't know about, or just haven't yet for various other reasons.
Statistics can get you incredibly far stats and probability are one of the corner stones of QM.

As for religion philosophically the answer is pretty much always agnostic, since while clearly the personal theistic god is out of date **** like pantheism can never be proven wrong, and since it can never be proven wrong atheism can't really win or lose and agnosticism is pretty much the answer :).

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Statistics can get you incredibly far stats and probability are one of the corner stones of QM.

As for religion philosophically the answer is pretty much always agnostic, since while clearly the personal theistic god is out of date **** like pantheism can never be proven wrong, and since it can never be proven wrong atheism can't really win or lose and agnosticism is pretty much the answer :).
That first part was really more of a superfluous statement lol (what I said). I didn't mean in everything possible in the entire world, just at trying to use weird statistical facts in a case that doesn't need them (apparently he was trying to use "tournament statistics").

Lol though, I was just using that comparison because it's a fairly common argument. It's one that pretty much everyone has heard, which makes it easier to relate to my own for clarity haha. I wouldn't usually throw religious stuff around on this forum because people are very sensitive about it, but you know :p.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I think that an up and coming player does have the potential to beat a veteran player, but he'll need some experience first.
If said person is a fast learner, s/he'll get the experience in the tourney matches leading up to said veteran player, it's certainly possible.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
If you toss religion into any argument, you're just going to piss people off.

Also, I wasn't exactly arguing with you. Your line of thinking just demonstrates a lot of fallacies regarding the way we (that is, people) think about probabilities, chances and eventualities. One of which being the fallacy that we think that if something can happen, it is like or expected to happen regardless of how small the chance is. I was trying to demonstrate how small that chance really is. We often tend to discount that probabilities mean something.

Anyway, this is the sort of thing that bothers me enough to actually have a conversation on it, but it's thread-derailing. If you actually do want to hear anything else I have to say, PM me. Otherwise I'll leave it alone.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
While I know I won't be pro (kid on the way, other responsibilities), I'm very excited to be in on the ground floor for a Smash title and I'd like to at least have confidence to go to some larger tournaments and place.

Hopefully, this doesn't turn out like Halo 4 did for me a couple years ago. Loved competitive Halo, got in on the ground floor, worst competitive title in the series and the community dried out in months. Luckily, there's still some other Smash games to fall back on with strong communities around them if Smash 4 doesn't work out.
I thought Reach killed the competitive community. :dizzy:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Bloom and armor lock=tripping and hitstun cancelling apparently

I hung around bungie.net when reach came out, and i actually saw a few people call reach Halo's brawl.
They were then called **** because they played smash.
Bungie isn't the best place to hear people's opinions.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Bloom and armor lock=tripping and hitstun cancelling apparently
Not what I meant.

I thought it killed it because it was the first Halo game to be CoDed. And Halo 4 stuck with that theme. Samething that happened with Gears of War Judgment.

I hate it when shooters I like get Coded, because I hate CoD with a passion.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Quite clearly you need to learn the difference between possibility and probability.
No, you need to learn about real life, in which this never, ever happens. How many professional sportsman do you know that just suddenly picked up the sport when they were older than 25? (And had never practiced before)

Not at all.
Yes, to a whole new level, you accept a quote as being "incorrect" by taking it too literal and saying that it claims wrong proportions and then say that a quote stating something is infinite as "truth" whereas if you were to validate things in the same way, nothing can be proven to be infinite objectively and you should have the same opinion about said quote (except maybe numbers since they are created by mankind to better understand the world and they are made in a way where you have an infinite amount of numbers). But I won't

"Doesn't get" versus finding it distasteful, unimaginative, dull and arbitrary. It has nothing to do with being literal, and everything to do with the former. Keep your baseless assumptions yourself.
Actually you were the one baselessly accusing me when all I did was put a popular quote that is known everywhere around the world by almost everyone. I am not making a baseless accusation, you did take the quote literally as if I was trying to quantify how much hard work is valued compared to talent, something that cannot even be quantified even if there was no other variables to take into account.

So you defend its integrity, then double back on it? Oh the smell of backpedaling.
I don't know what you mean with this. I never claimed my examples were not ridiculous, yet they all hold truth. Saying that a person who's only played Smash casually with his closest friends can be better than the best players currently in the world is not the same as saying a highschool graduate could know more math than a working NASA astrophysicist, there are an incredible amount of variables to be taken into account. The point of the example is to show the behavior of the claims people are stating, which remains the same on both and has the exact same veridity on both.

Yeah, no I wasn't. Draw more straws.
If anything that one that backpedaled is you.

My example was a prime example of how both talent and hard work is needed and no one who has talent can be anything without first actually applying hard work. You refuted that and literally stated against my examples that someone with enough talent to offput hard work could be out there somewhere. You literally did in this very post yet again with the first quote. You are saying that hard work is only a factor when talent is lacked, which destroys the concept of human society which is all based around learning and studying and not around seeing who has the highest talent at a given trait.

You just contradicted what you said earlier. And I'd disagree and delve to what I said earlier, making it comparable to an immeasurable seesaw.
How did I exactly?

You're assuming people can't have ability and hard work without being recognized on the internet, or by some tournament, talk about pretentious and ignorant.
Hahahahahahahahaha. It's funny that you say this.

You shouldn't make baseless claims without actual facts. Go and read my posts again and learn a bit of reading comprehension.

I come from the Dominican Republic, moved to LA about a year and a half ago, ever heard of DR? If you have, do you know any of the DR smashers? I am going to go on a safe note you haven't.

Did you know our best player mains Mario in both Melee and Brawl? Have you heard of him? His name is Ray (his actual, real name). Did you know he once played "Boss" in a Mario ditto and beat him? Did you know he knew about some characters such as Mario having lag after landing with his Up+B before the game even released by watching the Brawl trailers online, it took Smashboards (a whole community) about 3 months after the game was released to find that out and no on in the Dominican community knew because he didn't tell anyone because he thought it was "obvious and didn't know it needed to be said". (He also was able to tell which attacks were faster just by looking at 2 attacks separately, and I mean like frame data information where he could tell the difference between 12 frames and 10, talk about talent).

Did you know a Dominican was the one to actually discover DACUS. He was the one who posted tried to name it some weird **** here on Smashboards using his nickname and people went furious on him because they thought it was pretentious to name something after himself. DACUS wasn't what it is now at that point, but he discovered the basics which allowed this community to move forward. and evolve the technique into what it is now

What's the point of all this? Well, none of those people are known in the internet because we aren't from the US and cannot attend tournaments here because that would cost too much money (flights, etc). And I am pretty aware all of those people are incredible players and are very capable of beating most of the pros from the US.

I never claimed "not being known" was a factor to how good a player was. Way to go on reading bias and comprehension. I claimed that not doing any hard work is a huge factor to wether you can beat those pros or not.

There might be much better players than the current Smash pros out there, but any of those given pros will also have a lot of hard work to back them up. They will have countless of hours playing a plethora of different people at a level way above what "playing against your brother everyday" will ever achieve. You can bet that they will have hours spent weekly if not daily on the game playing against people who have also achieved a really high level and not just playing the same person with the same character over and over again.

People here hold on to the possibility that they are better than the pros out there and the only reason people don't know about them is because they haven't played anyone good yet so they haven't been recognized. But fact is if you aren't playing against many, many people (not just 1 or 2) who also take the game to a whole new level you are not evolving your own game and you will not reach the levels the pros have because you just have not done as much work as them. Sure you could have more hours logged than them but its like lifting a 10 pound weight for 4 hours against lifting a 200 pound weight for 1 hour. They are training much hard and it pays off more for them.

Sure, probability dictates that there must be many diamonds in the rough out there who could be better than the current pros.

Keyword: "in the rough".

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Not what I meant.

I thought it killed it because it was the first Halo game to be CoDed. And Halo 4 stuck with that theme. Samething that happened with Gears of War Judgment.

I hate it when shooters I like get Coded, because I hate CoD with a passion.
Those were parallels i was drawing, both were features that people complained added randomness to the game both had defensive element that was deemed OP. (not saying they are, people just said that they were)

Imo, Halo 4 is when the CODing of the franchise really went downhill, reach was pretty okay and still a halo game in my eyes.

Last edited:

Waite

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rumpojec
MLG v7 was fantastic, but by that point, just about everyone had left. Reach put it in a coma, and Halo 4 shot it repeatedly in the head.

Imo, Halo 4 is when the CODing of the franchise really went downhill, reach was pretty okay and still a halo game in my eyes.
Reach was better on the larger scale, in my opinion, but the classic 4v4 feel was kinda squelched.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
And here I am only playing Halo for the campaign >.>

Like, the story and music is pretty top-notch.
That’s pretty much all I do. It wasn’t until I got a 360, which was Christmas, that I looked into the competitive community. By then it was long long dead. Same goes for Gears of War. All because the games got Call of Dutied in the multiplayer aspect. >_>

Although I still have yet to get any of the Halo games on the 360 that aren’t Halo 3, even though I plan to eventually get all of them, I just won’t play most of them for multiplayer except for Halo3. I also have yet to get Judgment, but I’ll probably stick to GoW3 for multiplayer still. X_X

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Reach was better on the larger scale, in my opinion, but the classic 4v4 feel was kinda squelched.
yeah, the classic halo style deathmatch suffered greatly, but reach had some redeeming factors. (forge world)
I'm still disappointed on the amount of air vehicles and forge items, halo 4 was even worse off in that regard.

And here I am only playing Halo for the campaign >.>

Like, the story and music is pretty top-notch.
Reach's story was a definite high point. The atmosphere was amazing, and the immersion provided by your mc sharing your armor was really neat. (but Legendary with all skulls on was the worst thing ever.)

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
2 things: Response and anti-derailment.

LASSO is fun as hell on co-op. Actually, Co-op is really the only way to play Halo. I'm very partial to it because it's how my best friend and I became brothers.

Anti-derailment:

Mew2King needs those hands checked out. He can't retire until he places first in at least three different Smash game tournaments at Apex. (Not counting singles/doubles of the same game.)

SSJ Kirby

Smash Apprentice
No, you need to learn about real life, in which this never, ever happens. How many professional sportsman do you know that just suddenly picked up the sport when they were older than 25? (And had never practiced before)
No, no I don't. You have no idea how probability and possibility work, .-.

Yes, to a whole new level, you accept a quote as being "incorrect" by taking it too literal and saying that it claims wrong proportions and then say that a quote stating something is infinite as "truth" whereas if you were to validate things in the same way, nothing can be proven to be infinite objectively and you should have the same opinion about said quote (except maybe numbers since they are created by mankind to better understand the world and they are made in a way where you have an infinite amount of numbers). But I won't
That has nothing to be with being too literal, you're backpedaling and ignoring the point. That quote does nothing to "understand the world better", and holds no more true than stating the antithesis, you're stating nothing new or worthwhile. Whether or not infinity applies to objectively is irrelevant, and thus has nothing to do with this minute context. You'd be better off looking at the variables of quantum superposition, but as you won't, I won't. Har har har.

Actually you were the one baselessly accusing me when all I did was put a popular quote that is known everywhere around the world by almost everyone. I am not making a baseless accusation, you did take the quote literally as if I was trying to quantify how much hard work is valued compared to talent, something that cannot even be quantified even if there was no other variables to take into account.
Almost everyone. I doubt it. The onus is on you, prove it. You have 6 hours to prove to me almost 7 billion people are with it, let's go. It is baseless, you lost, get over it. Again it's nothing to with being literal.

I don't know what you mean with this. I never claimed my examples were not ridiculous, yet they all hold truth. Saying that a person who's only played Smash casually with his closest friends can be better than the best players currently in the world is not the same as saying a highschool graduate could know more math than a working NASA astrophysicist, there are an incredible amount of variables to be taken into account. The point of the example is to show the behavior of the claims people are stating, which remains the same on both and has the exact same veridity on both.

The complexity of astrophysics and a casual video game are not even remotely comparable. You're pretentious, as previously stated. You've backpedaled enough, it's embarrassing.

If anything that one that backpedaled is you.

My example was a prime example of how both talent and hard work is needed and no one who has talent can be anything without first actually applying hard work. You refuted that and literally stated against my examples that someone with enough talent to offput hard work could be out there somewhere. You literally did in this very post yet again with the first quote. You are saying that hard work is only a factor when talent is lacked, which destroys the concept of human society which is all based around learning and studying and not around seeing who has the highest talent at a given trait.

I haven't backpedaled at all, you've merely drawn meager draws. Again you blatantly contradict yourself, it's getting old. I never stated that, more straws. I outwardly stated what I said objectively against your petty interpretation, are you that blind?

How did I exactly?
One minute they're balanced, the next one towers, you're inconsistent.

Hahahahahahahahaha. It's funny that you say this.

You shouldn't make baseless claims without actual facts. Go and read my posts again and learn a bit of reading comprehension.

I come from the Dominican Republic, moved to LA about a year and a half ago, ever heard of DR? If you have, do you know any of the DR smashers? I am going to go on a safe note you haven't.

Did you know our best player mains Mario in both Melee and Brawl? Have you heard of him? His name is Ray (his actual, real name). Did you know he once played "Boss" in a Mario ditto and beat him? Did you know he knew about some characters such as Mario having lag after landing with his Up+B before the game even released by watching the Brawl trailers online, it took Smashboards (a whole community) about 3 months after the game was released to find that out and no on in the Dominican community knew because he didn't tell anyone because he thought it was "obvious and didn't know it needed to be said". (He also was able to tell which attacks were faster just by looking at 2 attacks separately, and I mean like frame data information where he could tell the difference between 12 frames and 10, talk about talent).

Did you know a Dominican was the one to actually discover DACUS. He was the one who posted tried to name it some weird **** here on Smashboards using his nickname and people went furious on him because they thought it was pretentious to name something after himself. DACUS wasn't what it is now at that point, but he discovered the basics which allowed this community to move forward. and evolve the technique into what it is now

What's the point of all this? Well, none of those people are known in the internet because we aren't from the US and cannot attend tournaments here because that would cost too much money (flights, etc). And I am pretty aware all of those people are incredible players and are very capable of beating most of the pros from the US.

I never claimed "not being known" was a factor to how good a player was. Way to go on reading bias and comprehension. I claimed that not doing any hard work is a huge factor to wether you can beat those pros or not.

There might be much better players than the current Smash pros out there, but any of those given pros will also have a lot of hard work to back them up. They will have countless of hours playing a plethora of different people at a level way above what "playing against your brother everyday" will ever achieve. You can bet that they will have hours spent weekly if not daily on the game playing against people who have also achieved a really high level and not just playing the same person with the same character over and over again.

People here hold on to the possibility that they are better than the pros out there and the only reason people don't know about them is because they haven't played anyone good yet so they haven't been recognized. But fact is if you aren't playing against many, many people (not just 1 or 2) who also take the game to a whole new level you are not evolving your own game and you will not reach the levels the pros have because you just have not done as much work as them. Sure you could have more hours logged than them but its like lifting a 10 pound weight for 4 hours against lifting a 200 pound weight for 1 hour. They are training much hard and it pays off more for them.

Sure, probability dictates that there must be many diamonds in the rough out there who could be better than the current pros.

Keyword: "in the rough".
You're assuming I care about your life's story: I don't. Your petty attempts at telling me what to do only further your ignorance, which is of course, not surprising in this circumstance. You inconsistently claimed it was the main factor, backpedaled it to be balanced, and then backpedaled once more to it being the main factor, etc. You're horrible at this, and it shows. If anything, you're throwing the old "Lrn2read btr" excuse because you've been caught, and that's truly pathetic. Maybe some of the them do have hard work to back them up, maybe they don't, I suppose that would depend how you would quantify hard work, to as in this context I would place as mediocre work given the criteria. Sigh, all you're doing is assuming based on some backwards concept of recognition, again. Which is funny, since it completely contradicts your unimpressive anecdote. You're associating being known with playing people that are good, as if those players would gossip and talk and talk about randomly decent players they played, and if they did, they need to get out of the basement more often. But that's besides the point, you're speaking for certain people (keyword certain, as out of a large pool) you've never met (or hardly know), and for all you know, do know people that rarely attend tournaments, and aren't widely known, and have gone the distance. It doesn't matter though, because it's all just as assumptive. Once more, I never downplayed hard work, I downplayed the circumstances revolving around petty recognition, much in the case not many people knew who Wepner was until he knocked out Ali. Again, probability versus possibility. You probably don't even know which one I was ever in favor of, perhaps you should "learn some reading comprehension".

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
No, no I don't. You have no idea how probability and possibility work, .-.

That has nothing to be with being too literal, you're backpedaling and ignoring the point. That quote does nothing to "understand the world better", and holds no more true than stating the antithesis, you're stating nothing new or worthwhile. Whether or not infinity applies to objectively is irrelevant, and thus has nothing to do with this minute context. You'd be better off looking at the variables of quantum superposition, but as you won't, I won't. Har har har.
You just said the quote was no good because 90%-10% is not true. But now you backtrack and say that is not the reason saying I am not understanding the point? I am understanding perfectly the point, but you as many other debaters speak with no true rational under your arguments, you speak with bias and I just showed you how, under the same exact point of view you evaluated the first quote, the second quote does not fit. Not only that but most popular quotes do not fit a literal truth comparison.

"I only know I know nothing", he did know something

"I came, I saw, I conquered", he didn't conquer every single place he saw

Almost every single love quote to date also has this problem.

Fact is quotes are not meant to be taken literal. They are used to help people understand a concept.

Out knowledge is very small compared to the knowledge in the universe.

Facts about the life of Julius Caesar, like how great of a conquistador he was.

The feelings you feel when you are in love.

The fact that in order to achieve anything in life you will need to work hard for it.

Your reasoning for dismissing it as a quote and treating it like it was a literal statement was incredibly stupid and seeing as how you changed your whole "reasoning" behind why you dismissed it, it seems like you noticed it too.

Almost everyone. I doubt it. The onus is on you, prove it. You have 6 hours to prove to me almost 7 billion people are with it, let's go. It is baseless, you lost, get over it. Again it's nothing to with being literal.

The complexity of astrophysics and a casual video game are not even remotely comparable. You're pretentious, as previously stated. You've backpedaled enough, it's embarrassing.

I haven't backpedaled at all, you've merely drawn meager draws. Again you blatantly contradict yourself, it's getting old. I never stated that, more straws. I outwardly stated what I said objectively against your petty interpretation, are you that blind?

One minute they're balanced, the next one towers, you're inconsistent.
I already proved it. I googed "90% hard work" and at least more than 10 pages came out with the quote. It proves it is WORLD KNOWN. It's the same as saying Mario is known almost everywhere by almost everyone, again it isn't a literal statement, its supposed to be analyzed and understood for the message it is trying to convey. I won't poll the whole world and I am aware that the people who have heard the quote do not equal to 51% of the world.

You can also google 90% perpiration. 10% inspiration. You will get a plethora of quotes that mean the same thing with almost exactly the same way. They don't literally say the same thing, but the overall meaning of the quote is the same. Some other quotes with similar meaning, but that do not mean the exact same things are: Experience is the best teacher, The only source of knowledge is experience. Things like this have a similar meaning were they are saying that you need experience and not just inherent skill or talent to actually learn.

You did backtrack, completely, you started off saying that you don't need hard work with the way you refuted my examples, claiming that there are people who could, without any hard work, be better than people who have set forth 20+ years of hard work without even breaking a sweat. Then when I gave you arguments and examples in order to better illustrate my point of view all you said was: "Your arguments are asinine, they make no sense" and didn't actually argue against me except claiming that I backpedaled when I didn't.

I never claimed that my example was comparable on every single variable to the question at hand. I said that the fallacy in both of the examples is the same. The error in the mindset behind letting a high school grad whose incredibly amazing at physics, yet has never studied physics outside of high school, plan out a rockets trajectory to the moon is the same as the one of there being someone who can be better than the very best in the world without even trying or working for it, in any area, be it sports, video games, arts or science.

The reason why you are so confused is because you don't grasp the actual point of the debate, you only focus on taking any comment I say literally so that you can point it out and claim that my whole argument is wrong because a statement is taken out of context, instead of actually debating my main argument.

You're assuming I care about your life's story: I don't. Your petty attempts at telling me what to do only further your ignorance, which is of course, not surprising in this circumstance. You inconsistently claimed it was the main factor, backpedaled it to be balanced, and then backpedaled once more to it being the main factor, etc. You're horrible at this, and it shows. If anything, you're throwing the old "Lrn2read btr" excuse because you've been caught, and that's truly pathetic. Maybe some of the them do have hard work to back them up, maybe they don't, I suppose that would depend how you would quantify hard work, to as in this context I would place as mediocre work given the criteria. Sigh, all you're doing is assuming based on some backwards concept of recognition, again. Which is funny, since it completely contradicts your unimpressive anecdote. You're associating being known with playing people that are good, as if those players would gossip and talk and talk about randomly decent players they played, and if they did, they need to get out of the basement more often. But that's besides the point, you're speaking for certain people (keyword certain, as out of a large pool) you've never met (or hardly know), and for all you know, do know people that rarely attend tournaments, and aren't widely known, and have gone the distance. It doesn't matter though, because it's all just as assumptive. Once more, I never downplayed hard work, I downplayed the circumstances revolving around petty recognition, much in the case not many people knew who Wepner was until he knocked out Ali. Again, probability versus possibility. You probably don't even know which one I was ever in favor of, perhaps you should "learn some reading comprehension".
First, I am throwing out l2read comments because you literally cannot understand what I am writting, and you also cannot understand what you yourself write when you debate my points. I have since the beginning stated that hard work is, in most of the cases/areas more important than talent. But it is NEEDED in every single area/case, independently of what that area or case is. I haven't backpedaled once from that premise. Now you on the other hand.

"Once more, I never downplayed hard work".

You literally stated that a 15 year old with no experience in basketball could theoretically be talented enough to the point where he could beat the very best basketball player in his very first game outside of his own home. How exactly is that not downplaying hardwork? You are literally saying that hard work is only needed when talent is lacked and that hard work is not in any way important to how well you can perform in a given area.

You went ahead and told me that talent vs hard work has many different variables to account and that sometimes hard work was not a factor to how good someone is. Your comprehension about my post was SO wrong that you went ahead and gave 2 examples, both of which helped my case and diminished yours and you tried to pass them down like they were helping your own case, when in fact they weren't, 2/2.

"Sigh, all you're doing is assuming based on some backwards concept of recognition, again."

My premise from the very beginning was this:

No one who has not played a vast amount of time with a vast amount of different people under a vast amount of different circumstances will pick up the game and suddenly be better than the very best of the pros. But these people and these circumstances also need allow you to better your game. If these people are just your 100 casual friends who only spam specials you aren't going to advance your game very quickly. If you play only CPUs you aren't going to advance very quickly, if you play only with MetaKnight against Marth, if MetaKnight is banned and you have to play against a Falco, you will understand there are many more things for you to learn. Fact is there is a great number of variables needed to make a pro player. People thinking that inherent talent is enough are not in any way correct.

You NEED experience in order to thrive, you need to work hard, to practice, to study the game. Most of the new people in these forums thoroughly believe that the fact that they have play with their brothers and close friends with competitive rulesets and that they can 3/4 stock a 3v1 against 3 friends means that they are already the best players in the world and that the fact that other people don't recognize it is because they haven't actually gone to a tournament or event. They believe as soon as they leave the comfort of home for the first time people will undoubtedly notice just how great they are on the very first try because they are "oh so" above the current level of play.

If experience and hard work was not the main dominating factor of being a pro, Metagame wouldn't exist. Metagame is literally an evolution of hard work. You work hard, you learn new strategies and you see what works and what doesn't, unless someone can just pick up the game and immediately understand exactly what the Metagame of the game will be like and how the game will play out then talent is not everything they are bringing to the table.

I am not saying that the people speaking in this thread cannot be the very best of the players of Smash in the future to come (or can't be currently better than the pros that currently exist). I am trying to break the mindset that most people have that they just have such an incredible talent that they can beat any pro without putting so much as 1/10th of the effort they make on a weekly basis to stay as the top players.

PS: I would like you to actually quote where I assumed that in order for you to be any good, you needed to be recognized in the web.

Last edited:

SSJ Kirby

Smash Apprentice
You just said the quote was no good because 90%-10% is not true. But now you backtrack and say that is not the reason saying I am not understanding the point? I am understanding perfectly the point, but you as many other debaters speak with no true rational under your arguments, you speak with bias and I just showed you how, under the same exact point of view you evaluated the first quote, the second quote does not fit. Not only that but most popular quotes do not fit a literal truth comparison.

"I only know I know nothing", he did know something

"I came, I saw, I conquered", he didn't conquer every single place he saw

Almost every single love quote to date also has this problem.

Fact is quotes are not meant to be taken literal. They are used to help people understand a concept.

Out knowledge is very small compared to the knowledge in the universe.

Facts about the life of Julius Caesar, like how great of a conquistador he was.

The feelings you feel when you are in love.

The fact that in order to achieve anything in life you will need to work hard for it.

Your reasoning for dismissing it as a quote and treating it like it was a literal statement was incredibly stupid and seeing as how you changed your whole "reasoning" behind why you dismissed it, it seems like you noticed it too.
Yes, calling it 'incredibly' stupid is a brilliant argument. Such a statement frets me not, little man, for I only laugh at your meager attempt to argue. The amount of work you're putting into making a fool of yourself is rather amusing. I stated MORE than it simply not being true, but obviously that doesn't click with you. Not my fault you misunderstand so many, many things. It's quite clear you're not understanding it. My arguments are rational, you're the one that isn't rational. You're just going on and on about your unrealistic ideology of the world and how you so pompously assume of me based off tacky assumptions. Popularity and literalism are not mutually exclusive, and thus your point is completely unfounded, please go through every "popular" quote and prove this. I doubt you will, because again you've been unable to prove the burden you've been endowed with. That isn't true at all, again. Some people are just lucky and don't have to wok for anything, often times those people have no innate talents either. Your generalizing is nauseating, as well as completely missing the point.

I already proved it. I googed "90% hard work" and at least more than 10 pages came out with the quote. It proves it is WORLD KNOWN. It's the same as saying Mario is known almost everywhere by almost everyone, again it isn't a literal statement, its supposed to be analyzed and understood for the message it is trying to convey. I won't poll the whole world and I am aware that the people who have heard the quote do not equal to 51% of the world.

You can also google 90% perpiration. 10% inspiration. You will get a plethora of quotes that mean the same thing with almost exactly the same way. They don't literally say the same thing, but the overall meaning of the quote is the same. Some other quotes with similar meaning, but that do not mean the exact same things are: Experience is the best teacher, The only source of knowledge is experience. Things like this have a similar meaning were they are saying that you need experience and not just inherent skill or talent to actually learn.
10 pages.... means 7 billion people? Seems you're not as good at math as you believed. Mario has statistics on his side, he's an icon. Go on the street and more people would identify Mario. That in no way proves anything you've stated, you're talking specific demographics, that's all. Experience? That has to be the most backwater thing I've heard you say yet. You're confusing immediate sensory input with living through something. Typical.

You did backtrack, completely, you started off saying that you don't need hard work with the way you refuted my examples, claiming that there are people who could, without any hard work, be better than people who have set forth 20+ years of hard work without even breaking a sweat. Then when I gave you arguments and examples in order to better illustrate my point of view all you said was: "Your arguments are asinine, they make no sense" and didn't actually argue against me except claiming that I backpedaled when I didn't.
Again, no I didn't. You clearly have some form of cognitive dissonance, because you're trying to throw an argument I used against you in my face, and it fails miserably because there's no substance to it. I never stated one did not need hard work, never once. You're putting words in my mouth, as I previously called you on. Gee, I'm agreeing with what I said earlier. What a surprise. My examples/arguments were that hard work as a large majority is in and of itself an exaggeration. And again, you're still wrong, because one can do something for 20 or so years, and still suck horribly at it. Hard work alone is not a determiner, merely a contributing factor; which is what I argued, and still am--gee look at that, me agreeing with what I already said, again; what a surprise. I never said that they made no sense coinciding with being asinine, that was reserved specifically for you astrophysics references, to which yes, it is pretentious and ridiculous, that isn't going to change. Clearly you don't read closely enough.

I never claimed that my example was comparable on every single variable to the question at hand. I said that the fallacy in both of the examples is the same. The error in the mindset behind letting a high school grad whose incredibly amazing at physics, yet has never studied physics outside of high school, plan out a rockets trajectory to the moon is the same as the one of there being someone who can be better than the very best in the world without even trying or working for it, in any area, be it sports, video games, arts or science.

The reason why you are so confused is because you don't grasp the actual point of the debate, you only focus on taking any comment I say literally so that you can point it out and claim that my whole argument is wrong because a statement is taken out of context, instead of actually debating my main argument.
It's not the issue of whether or not it complies to every single variable, it's the issue that it barely compares at all, because it's an embellishment (i.e. a pathetic comparison). I would agree with science, CERTAIN arts, but not video games. And that's where your pretentious asinine argument kicks itself in the gut. I'm not confused, and in fact, I'm scoffing at how utterly trivial and pathetic your personality seems based off of how fervently you attempt to push such a ridiculous arbitrary point. Again you draw straws, stating by interpretation against what I have stated to be my collective thoughts objectively. All is within the same context. Try again.

First, I am throwing out l2read comments because you literally cannot understand what I am writting, and you also cannot understand what you yourself write when you debate my points. I have since the beginning stated that hard work is, in most of the cases/areas more important than talent. But it is NEEDED in every single area/case, independently of what that area or case is. I haven't backpedaled once from that premise. Now you on the other hand.
I understand it, you're just contradicting yourself left and right and making a downright fool of yourself. The two are completely different, it would seem you are the one having difficulties, and thus an adherent to hypocrisy. The fact you're to tell me that I can't understand my own writing is laughable, are you a troll? Really, that has to be even more pretentious and pathetic than your astrophysics point. No, you quite clearly stated last page that one did not overpower the other, which is of course backpedaling, a sandwich of such, as you have once more changed positions. All I say is, prove it. Prove EVERY SINGLE CASE is required hard work, quantified hard work, and not easy work, or mediocre work. Newsflash, you won't. Because you can't. All you're capable of is anecdotes, which are not evidence.

"Once more, I never downplayed hard work".

You literally stated that a 15 year old with no experience in basketball could theoretically be talented enough to the point where he could beat the very best basketball player in his very first game outside of his own home. How exactly is that not downplaying hardwork? You are literally saying that hard work is only needed when talent is lacked and that hard work is not in any way important to how well you can perform in a given area.

You went ahead and told me that talent vs hard work has many different variables to account and that sometimes hard work was not a factor to how good someone is. Your comprehension about my post was SO wrong that you went ahead and gave 2 examples, both of which helped my case and diminished yours and you tried to pass them down like they were helping your own case, when in fact they weren't, 2/2.
You LITERALLY have no concept of probability and possibility, and that's sad. I stated it's a possibility, not a probability. As the great physicist Michio Kaku said something along the lines of, "It is a possibility a planet of unicorns exist, but not very or at all probable." That's where you fail, that's where the crux of your pathetic meandering misunderstanding comes to die. I am not saying anything of the sort, and therefore there is no backpedaling, merely the rational acknowledgement of possibility.

I never said hard work was NOT a factor, I stated that it not always the dominant factor. Oh, SO wrong, yes, that gets your point across SO clearly. You're literally proving nothing saying this, but that's nothing new.

"Sigh, all you're doing is assuming based on some backwards concept of recognition, again."

My premise from the very beginning was this:

No one who has not played a vast amount of time with a vast amount of different people under a vast amount of different circumstances will pick up the game and suddenly be better than the very best of the pros.
Nice to know more than half your posts don't support that. :)

But these people and these circumstances also need allow you to better your game. If these people are just your 100 casual friends who only spam specials you aren't going to advance your game very quickly. If you play only CPUs you aren't going to advance very quickly, if you play only with MetaKnight against Marth, if MetaKnight is banned and you have to play against a Falco, you will understand there are many more things for you to learn. Fact is there is a great number of variables needed to make a pro player. People thinking that inherent talent is enough are not in any way correct.
You obviously have a delusional sense of what's great. I never stated inherent talent was all there to it, another straw draw at your poor attempts to associate me with someone whose post I probably never read.

You NEED experience in order to thrive, you need to work hard, to practice, to study the game. Most of the new people in these forums thoroughly believe that the fact that they have play with their brothers and close friends with competitive rulesets and that they can 3/4 stock a 3v1 against 3 friends means that they are already the best players in the world and that the fact that other people don't recognize it is because they haven't actually gone to a tournament or event. They believe as soon as they leave the comfort of home for the first time people will undoubtedly notice just how great they are on the very first try because they are "oh so" above the current level of play.
Sure you need experience and practice to get better at a game, that's how rote rehearsal works. Everyone has their limitations, typically heavily involving innate talent. Hate to break to you, but everyone's different, and no single side is going to consistently best the other. Your last point doesn't hold any weight. It assumes personality traits, motivation and overall hypothetical ability about a hypothetical person that has not been defined. It's like drawing a smiley face on a blank piece of paper and stating things about 'him' you couldn't possibly prove. Hypothetical anecdotes are even further away from evidence than anecdotes.

If experience and hard work was not the main dominating factor of being a pro, Metagame wouldn't exist. Metagame is literally an evolution of hard work. You work hard, you learn new strategies and you see what works and what doesn't, unless someone can just pick up the game and immediately understand exactly what the Metagame of the game will be like and how the game will play out then talent is not everything they are bringing to the table.
Hard work falls apart at the walls of limitation. A man can only work so hard at climbing a wall with no limbs, after all. Sure metagame would exist, and if that's how you're defining it, you're sadly misinformed. Again, I never stated talent alone was all that mattered, then again, it seems you read what you want to read. It'd say being a "pro" is just being "good" or "great" at the game, not some misconceived notion that seems to mean having no life and dedicating said no life to a children's game. It's a hobby, and by no way as serious as you make it out to be, which once more adds more evidence that you're pretentious.

I am not saying that the people speaking in this thread cannot be the very best of the players of Smash in the future to come (or can't be currently better than the pros that currently exist). I am trying to break the mindset that most people have that they just have such an incredible talent that they can beat any pro without putting so much as 1/10th of the effort they make on a weekly basis to stay as the top players.
Yes, making convoluted points and acting like a child is going to change mindsets. I hope you're happy knowing you've accomplished nothing.

PS: I would like you to actually quote where I assumed that in order for you to be any good, you needed to be recognized in the web.
You act as though I care enough to sift through your paragraphs of whining. You said it early on, about how people would have heard of me if I were any good. Nevermind aliases changes, that concepts beyond you.

Last edited:

TheCreepyLink

Smash Rookie
I am talking straight math and formulas, not tools or equipment. The hardest part of landing the rocket is being able to correctly calculate the actual trajectory and how gravity will impact and such things.

I can assure you, you can find and research everything about formulas for astrophysics online, but as you stated most people would be "uncomfortable" with just sitting down and reading all that stuff.

Also note: I didn't say does not attend tournaments. I said does not play competitive matches on a regular basis.
-Attending tournaments is in no way the only way to practice.
For one, N64 isn't rocket science. For two, having the actual rockets and everything accessible to you gives you something to work with, it's not just the formulas, because at least you could do trial and error and practice on what you're doing wrong and how you can improve upon it. All I need for Super Smash Brothers is a controller and I'll get better and better every time I play it.

Doesn't matter anyways, seeing as how SSJ Kirby disowned every single argument you've made.

CasualSmashBro

Smash Rookie
I agree with Link, N64 isn't rocket science. I think you two are trying way too hard, and causing uneeded drama, especially Raykz.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yes, calling it 'incredibly' stupid is a brilliant argument. Such a statement frets me not, little man, for I only laugh at your meager attempt to argue.
Just like saying: Your argument is asinine from the very first post and calling me pretentious, saying I do not hold the knowledge for many things and not stating a single reason why it is. Yet at least I gave you several reasons. But I am the one at fault, sigh...

The amount of work you're putting into making a fool of yourself is rather amusing. I stated MORE than it simply not being true, but obviously that doesn't click with you. Not my fault you misunderstand so many, many things. It's quite clear you're not understanding it. My arguments are rational, you're the one that isn't rational. You're just going on and on about your unrealistic ideology of the world and how you so pompously assume of me based off tacky assumptions.
When I gave you an example of a popular quote that is very well received and asked for a reason as to why this quote is well received you replied with:

"The latter quote actually touches on a truth, whereas the other would hold no more a baring if the antithesis were stated."

You didn't state more than it simple not being true until after I debated that point and you realized you were making up excuses because of your bias, please stop making up stuff.

Also whether you find a quote to be distasteful or dull doesn't mean it is smart of you to discuss with me why the quote is not literally correct. You went on 4 posts, FOUR, about how I was wrong with my distribution, when as I stated in my very second post, it is a popular quote I used. It's just like saying: "I only know I know nothing" in a conversation about philosophy. You aren't supposed to say: "You know your own name, and your age, and your address", you're supposed to debate the actual meaning of the quote. But apparently this is too much of a simple concept for you to grasp.

Popularity and literalism are not mutually exclusive, and thus your point is completely unfounded, please go through every "popular" quote and prove this. I doubt you will, because again you've been unable to prove the burden you've been endowed with. That isn't true at all, again. Some people are just lucky and don't have to wok for anything, often times those people have no innate talents either. Your generalizing is nauseating, as well as completely missing the point.
Huh? What the hell are you talking about? I literally don't understand what you are saying.

"Not only that but most popular quotes do not fit a literal truth comparison."

Where do I claim popularity and literalism have any relation to each other?

If I state most cars use gasoline, I am not claiming anything about gasoline or car apart from the fact that most cars use gasoline.

Again I am not going to go through every quote in the world and check if 51% of the quotes in the world cannot be taken literally. How is it that you can only take things literally?

I gave you a list of examples, but you can't bear losing so you won't accept any type of defeat, thus you make up impossible feats for me to complete before you "admit defeat". Again, you cannot even argue against any of my points, you are just looking at my arguments and finding any point you can take to a literal sense so that you can use it as a scapegoat.

And again, taking things too literal on that last part. Yet again, you can't argue against my points so you just look for a point you can take out of context and use it as a means to "look" like you are refuting my points in any way, but you aren't.

10 pages.... means 7 billion people? Seems you're not as good at math as you believed. Mario has statistics on his side, he's an icon. Go on the street and more people would identify Mario. That in no way proves anything you've stated, you're talking specific demographics, that's all. Experience? That has to be the most backwater thing I've heard you say yet. You're confusing immediate sensory input with living through something. Typical.
Yet I still bet Mario is not known by 3 billion people, so saying "he is known by most people" is not correct either.

I accept your defeat, even if you won't accept it yourself :(.

Again, no I didn't. You clearly have some form of cognitive dissonance, because you're trying to throw an argument I used against you in my face, and it fails miserably because there's no substance to it. I never stated one did not need hard work, never once. You're putting words in my mouth, as I previously called you on. Gee, I'm agreeing with what I said earlier. What a surprise. My examples/arguments were that hard work as a large majority is in and of itself an exaggeration. And again, you're still wrong, because one can do something for 20 or so years, and still suck horribly at it. Hard work alone is not a determiner, merely a contributing factor; which is what I argued, and still am--gee look at that, me agreeing with what I already said, again; what a surprise. I never said that they made no sense coinciding with being asinine, that was reserved specifically for you astrophysics references, to which yes, it is pretentious and ridiculous, that isn't going to change. Clearly you don't read closely enough.
"And again, you're still wrong, because one can do something for 20 or so years, and still suck horribly at it."

I never claimed you couldn't. If you want to actually say I said things, quote me on them instead of making them up, like I do with you.

"Hard work alone is not a determiner, merely a contributing factor"

Which I stated on my very first post, yet you kept on debating.

"which is what I argued"

You never argued for that, I did. You didn't argue against it being a contributing factor either, but you did argue that theoretically it was not needed which is what I have been debating all along.

It's not the issue of whether or not it complies to every single variable, it's the issue that it barely compares at all, because it's an embellishment (i.e. a pathetic comparison). I would agree with science, CERTAIN arts, but not video games. And that's where your pretentious asinine argument kicks itself in the gut. I'm not confused, and in fact, I'm scoffing at how utterly trivial and pathetic your personality seems based off of how fervently you attempt to push such a ridiculous arbitrary point. Again you draw straws, stating by interpretation against what I have stated to be my collective thoughts objectively. All is within the same context. Try again.
Which arts can a really talented person be good at with little to no practice and hard work?

Also if video games are only talent driven then how is it that any professional gamer has at least trained themselves extensively in the game they are adept at. Can you name a couple of the best players in any competitive game that had never touched any other game of a similar fashion in a competitive ambiance until the very day they became a pro?

Stop analyzing things as literally as you do, as that won't get you very far. Let's not take the quote out of context and lets analyze the context under which the quote was done. What is the error we have been discussing from the very first post? What was the topic of the discussion and how does that quote relate to it?

The topic of the discussion is that some people make the mistake of believing that if they are talented enough, they can offput hard work or experience and as such there must be someone who could achieve that which others need to work so hard for without any type of work himself.

Me: "The error in the mindset behind letting a high school grad whose incredibly amazing at physics, yet has never studied physics outside of high school, plan out a rockets trajectory to the moon is the same as the one of there being someone who can be better than the very best in the world without even trying or working for it, in any area, be it sports, video games, arts or science."

When you relate this quote to the topic at hand, the error it is pointing to is the belief that just because someone is extremely talented, he does not need to prepare or make any effort to achieve something incredibly difficult.

Does this error hold true in both account?

Yes it does.

Now let's go to your response:

"I would agree with science, CERTAIN arts, but not video games."

And then you claim:

"I never stated one did not need hard work, never once"

Stop taking every quote out of context and then analyzing it by itself in a literal fashion. This is a debate and all quotes pertain to the topic at hand. Critical Reading.

I understand it, you're just contradicting yourself left and right and making a downright fool of yourself. The two are completely different, it would seem you are the one having difficulties, and thus an adherent to hypocrisy. The fact you're to tell me that I can't understand my own writing is laughable, are you a troll? Really, that has to be even more pretentious and pathetic than your astrophysics point. No, you quite clearly stated last page that one did not overpower the other, which is of course backpedaling, a sandwich of such, as you have once more changed positions. All I say is, prove it. Prove EVERY SINGLE CASE is required hard work, quantified hard work, and not easy work, or mediocre work. Newsflash, you won't. Because you can't. All you're capable of is anecdotes, which are not evidence.
"required hard work, quantified hard work, and not easy work, or mediocre work"

LOL. Seriously? Just how literal and out of context can you take things from texts? I mean seriously... seriously?

You understand that by "hard" work I don't literally mean hard work, I mean putting effort into it. Some people find stuff easy to do when they love doing it, it doesn't make it any less of a hard work. To a person lifting a weight might be hard while it is easy to another person.

I'll reverse the logic on you. How do you know whats talent and what's acquired skill? How do you know if someone was actually talented before they started learning something? Can you prove to me without a shadow of a doubt that every single person classified as "talented" did not just acquire all said skills through time and effort?

You LITERALLY have no concept of probability and possibility, and that's sad. I stated it's a possibility, not a probability. As the great physicist Michio Kaku said something along the lines of, "It is a possibility a planet of unicorns exist, but not very or at all probable." That's where you fail, that's where the crux of your pathetic meandering misunderstanding comes to die. I am not saying anything of the sort, and therefore there is no backpedaling, merely the rational acknowledgement of possibility.

"If I were you: "It is a possibility a planet of unicorns exist, but not very or at all probable." Prove that there is a possibility"

See how you sound?

Now for a counterargument (yes, I won't leave you in the air like you do, because I do have counterarguments):

Not everything has possibility. Even when there are vast amount of numbers. If I were to say that there is a possibility for there to be someone than can fly without the need of any type of machinery, would you say there's a possibility? This is not a philosophy debate, its a logical debate.

I thoroughly believe that no matter how talented you are at something, you cannot be the best at something without actually putting any effort into it. Even if you are incredibly good at physics, you won't be able to even know several physics formula without either doing a College Degree/Masters relating to physics, or actually sitting down, analyzing and "discovering" the formulas yourself. Either way it takes a lot of effort to reach that level, you aren't born with that level of understanding.

I never said hard work was NOT a factor, I stated that it not always the dominant factor. Oh, SO wrong, yes, that gets your point across SO clearly. You're literally proving nothing saying this, but that's nothing new.
You said it wasn't a needed factor.

Sure you need experience and practice to get better at a game, that's how rote rehearsal works. Everyone has their limitations, typically heavily involving innate talent. Hate to break to you, but everyone's different, and no single side is going to consistently best the other. Your last point doesn't hold any weight. It assumes personality traits, motivation and overall hypothetical ability about a hypothetical person that has not been defined. It's like drawing a smiley face on a blank piece of paper and stating things about 'him' you couldn't possibly prove. Hypothetical anecdotes are even further away from evidence than anecdotes.
I believe that hard work does gets you farther than what talent does, although as I stated I also agree that talent does set a barrier at a certain limit. A mixture of both is needed in order to be great.

My 2nd post is stating a belief shared by the casual and semi-casual Smash community. Can you really tell me you've never met someone who said he was probably the best at the game and had never played it with anyone except his close-knit group of friends? It was an example, I wasn't referring to a single person in particular.

Hard work falls apart at the walls of limitation. A man can only work so hard at climbing a wall with no limbs, after all. Sure metagame would exist, and if that's how you're defining it, you're sadly misinformed. Again, I never stated talent alone was all that mattered, then again, it seems you read what you want to read. It'd say being a "pro" is just being "good" or "great" at the game, not some misconceived notion that seems to mean having no life and dedicating said no life to a children's game. It's a hobby, and by no way as serious as you make it out to be, which once more adds more evidence that you're pretentious.
I never quoted you needed to dedicate your life to the game, also I don't consider this game a "children's game". Apparently you cannot get through a single argument without making up things and arguments. You also are very demeaning with even the things that you like and do. "It'd say being a "pro" is just being "good" or "great" at the game", no being a pro means a professional. Did you know League of Legend and Dota players are getting payed? Did you know they train 8 hours a day like a real jon? For some people its an actual job, don't assume things.

Also for those people who it isn't their job, they still have spent countless of hours. I have spent 600-700 hours on Brawl and I only played with my casual friends and when I had a smashfest over at my house. I never actually "practiced" by myself as some of the more professional players do. I also only played for about 2 and a half years, on and off.

I am pretentious because I believe people actually need to work for something. Okay then.

Yes, making convoluted points and acting like a child is going to change mindsets. I hope you're happy knowing you've accomplished nothing.
What exactly have you accomplished?

You act as though I care enough to sift through your paragraphs of whining. You said it early on, about how people would have heard of me if I were any good. Nevermind aliases changes, that concepts beyond you.
"Smash 64 has been out for 15 years, not 10. Also even though I doubt you have put more hours into competitive play as Isaia has, because if you had, people would at least know you even if you weren't any good at the game you would still be known around solely because of all the time you would spend playing with different people around, practice only takes you so far, you do require talent in order to advance to the highest level of play.

BTW: What I meant by "being known" is that people would know you from having played you. It doesn't mean that you are famous. "

Lets read what I actually said, quoted directly from the post at hand. Let's read it again.

Lets get some key phrases here:

"people would at least know you even if you weren't any good at the game you would still be known around solely because of all the time you would spend playing with different people around"

Huh, I even said, even if you weren't any good... but let's continue,

"What I meant by "being known" is that people would know you from having played you. It doesn't mean that you are famous."

Also note the keyword: DOUBT. Meaning I accept that you could spend all those hours in the competitive scene and be relatively unknown to everyone if you were a really shy person and maybe never socialized or spoke to anyone and only played, but that I doubted that after 15 years playing a game as much as Isai you wouldn't even be known around the community. You corrected me stating that I was wrong and that many people do know you in the community and that I just didn't realize who you were, to which I accepted your claim and dropped that whole point.

I don't know exactly what you gather from this, as you seem to lack reading comprehension skills, but what I was stating was that you would be well known around the Smash 64 community, as in players would know of you because they had played you before. I even gave my example of how I was relatively well known in my community and I was an average player. I accepted the fact that people did know you when you told me because I have no reason to doubt that you are known around said community, as you just stated you could have changed your alias or I could just be oblivious as to who you are, I didn't refute your claim at all.

BUT, NEVER, EVER, ever did I make a statement that you need to be famous to be good. Your whole counter argument against me in the last 2-3 posts has been that I make a wrong assumption that you need to be famous to be good. So, now go ahead and prove that I did say that... because otherwise most of your last claims (which aren't even arguments against my statement, but more so against my personality) fall apart.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well, I have been planning to hit up the smash 4 competitive scene for a while now, so I will be doing that when it comes out.

CasualSmashBro

Smash Rookie
You need to relax dude, you're really derailing the thread. I know I'll be a pro once I become the only main for Link's Grandma, as shown by the true leaked roster of the game:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Smash 4 will have TRG. ;)
I read that as TheRunawayGuys :laugh:

I'd love to be on there for doubles honestly but with University AND making games I'm not sure if I'll really have much time. It's something I really believe in after having a strong start with the Doubles community last time in Brawl!

Honestly who it will be is still totally up for grabs. If this has good online though, I don't see the community dieing for quite some time.

CasualSmashBro

Smash Rookie
Not when it's to illustrate a point. It can be either or in that case. It's also ironic you're derailing the thread after ******** about derailing, hypocrite. Good enough?

Last edited:

CasualSmashBro

Smash Rookie
It isn't. It was an illustration of it. Keep up the delicious hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom