• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the nair

choe

Smash Rookie
I seem to be having a lot of trouble chaining together nairs. What is the best way to practice nairs? Any general tips with regards to DIing the nairs? Basically, I can get one nair off and then hit them with the first hit of the 2nd nair. And how important is the nair?

- Choe, the biggest newb EVAR.

audreyh

Smash Ace
search around please, i know i've posted this a couple times

whatever...
watch falcownage.

of course, the character your comboing and its percentage matters since you can't nair combo just anyone

i practice against marth. dthrow, dash forward, jump, as soon as you can push A, DI backwards keeping marth in front of you, then FF, lcancel, repeat.

To know if you're doing the nairs fast enough, put a marth to 10% (this can be done at 0%, but 10% is just fine to start off), stand in front of him and shffl an nair. your first kick should hit marth on the way up. then dash and shffl another nair.
easy nuf

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
ok, i went through what you are doing. i watched falcownage, and saw him quad nair somebody and think "HECK YEAH THATS AWESOME I MUST LEARN THIS!"

it is not as easy as it can seem. for higher end people, or even mid level players like i have become, it becomes second nature. for a beginner, however, it takes some practice.

my suggestion is go to training mode. use falcon against ganondorf. put ganondorf to 10%.

now the trick to learning this is to start at 2/3rds speed. good people may frown at this, but seriously it will help you get the feeling down.

with 2/3rd speed against ganon at 10%, go close to one of the edges (with him infront of you, and PLENTY of space to combo), forward B him

as he is on his way down, short hop nair. you MUST fast fall, and you MUST L-cancel. once you land, do what audreyh suggests and go forward a little bit, short hop another nair and hold back right away. you will pull back, and stay in the right spot. if you fast fall correctly, you will be slightly below ganon when the second kick connects. L-cancel again, and repeat.

keep doing this in 2/3rds mode until it is easy.

now comes the hard part, regaining your ability in normal speed. i guarentee you at first, it will feel like 1x speed is insanely and unnaturally fast, but you will get used to it, again. start exactly as i explain, and keep in mind if you were like me, you will probably fail for a few minutes. then you'll start to get the second one to connect. then the third. after spending a little time on this, you will be able to tripple nair to knee, and quad nair to knee (once or twice i quad nair'd to a knee, but the last hit was off the stage).

another thing to keep in mind is that doing is is just practice. high level people WILL probably DI correctly and escape this. HOWEVER, you have taught yourself to horizontally juggle an opponent. put the second nair in to the person and let them feel the knee, instead.

once you can do this to ganon, try other characters. mario/doc are good, yoshi works well, link is very easy to nair chain, bowser and DK both large and easy targets. marth is floatier and a bit trickier, but certainly doable. i've double nair'd to knee a shiek ingame, but everything was DI'd up, so im not sure that will work in practice.

anyway, good luck, and remember that being able to do things like this isnt going to happen right away. and doing it to a computer is very quite different than doing it to a live opponent.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I seem to be having a lot of trouble chaining together nairs. What is the best way to practice nairs? Any general tips with regards to DIing the nairs? Basically, I can get one nair off and then hit them with the first hit of the 2nd nair. And how important is the nair?

- Choe, the biggest newb EVAR.
Don't fastfall the second one until the second hit hits.

punisher47

Smash Journeyman
you dont have to worry much about a triple nair but just learn a double nair. so first watch falcownage and then test it out in training mode. also ff the nair after the second hits so you get both kicks in.

choe

Smash Rookie
search around please, i know i've posted this a couple times

whatever...
watch falcownage.

of course, the character your comboing and its percentage matters since you can't nair combo just anyone

i practice against marth. dthrow, dash forward, jump, as soon as you can push A, DI backwards keeping marth in front of you, then FF, lcancel, repeat.

To know if you're doing the nairs fast enough, put a marth to 10% (this can be done at 0%, but 10% is just fine to start off), stand in front of him and shffl an nair. your first kick should hit marth on the way up. then dash and shffl another nair.
easy nuf
I've watched falcownage, but it's kind of hard to understand how the DIing is working and how much the DIing affects the nairs. And I've read threads regarding the nair, but I was hard-pressed to find one regarding the DI on it... Guess I wasn't searching hard enough. But thanks anyways!

whiteboyninja said:
once you can do this to ganon, try other characters. mario/doc are good, yoshi works well, link is very easy to nair chain, bowser and DK both large and easy targets. marth is floatier and a bit trickier, but certainly doable. i've double nair'd to knee a shiek ingame, but everything was DI'd up, so im not sure that will work in practice.
Yeah, when people DI, that's what really screws up my combos, but hey, it's part of practice to expect the DI and react to it.

I'll try practicing on ganondorf. I tried practicing on Marth because many people say that he's easy to combo, but he feels so floaty. I have no problems kneeing marth from grabs and whatnot, but nair comboing him is a pain in the ***. :laugh:

Technomancer said:
Don't fastfall the second one until the second hit hits.
Yeah, that seems to be my problem a lot of the time. Also, I realized that a big part of my problem is not DIing the 2nd one properly, but hopefully I'll get that fixed...:grin:

punisher47 said:
you dont have to worry much about a triple nair but just learn a double nair. so first watch falcownage and then test it out in training mode. also ff the nair after the second hits so you get both kicks in.
Yeah, it seemed to me that the triple and quad nair combos were a bit too showy and not too practical.

Thanks for the help everyone! Hopefully my nair woes will finally be over.:)

Top Bottom