• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Music Player Icon Theory: not to be confused with the Music Blog Theory

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey Guys. I saw people posting the Blog theory(A really good one i feel), the music theory(which seems debunked now unless somehow we don't get a new unique pokemon), and the box theory(we all agree this is dead now right? But I don't really see anyone talking about this other theory that has been in my head for a while now: The Music Icon theory.

So how this theory came to me was during the August 8th Direct, we got a good look at some of the menus in the game. One of them was the music/sound test screen. It seperated all the different music by series(mario has 2 because it has a ton of music) and with an All button at the start and an Other icon at the end, and filled them out in a 5x7 grid. at the bottom of the list though, it looks like this:

sound test screen.png

As we can see, there are 3 missing music icons here. Like with the stage select screen missing 6 slots, most likely for 5 more stages plus a DLC button, It seems like this could have 3 more music icons. If there wasn't any more base game music icons, this could have been fit in a 4x8 grid. It is Likely that we can get more rows added via DLC, as this is a scrolling grid, unlike the stage selection screen where a DLC button is needed.

So what is so interesting about this? Well I think is a solid way to have a guess on how many more newcomers are coming to the game, as otherwise they would have arranged this differently. Newcomers from series already having music icons wouldn't get an icon added when they are revealed, so a new pokemon rep for example wouldn't add an icon to this. Al;so, what was said in the direct was: If the music has no corresponding character OR stage, or just from a single game, they are found in the other catagory". This means that if we get a retro fighter, even if they have a stage, they may not get an music icon and be put into the other catagory. Ice Climbers, ROB, and Duck Hunt all have characters but no music icons. Also, they said OR stage. That could be a clue that a stage that has a lot of music tracks, but no characters on it, could get a music icon. This happened back in Brawl with Animal Crossing.

So, with all that said, we can theorize getting 2-3 unique newcomers from new series. I saw 2-3 because its possible we get a stage with no fighter tied to it that gets its own music icon, like what happened with Animal Crossing back in brawl. The rumor going around is Minecraft may get a stage, and that fits this theory(Minecraft getting an icon, and 2 unique newcomers getting music icons)

So here is an example using the Blog theory how this could work, also including how we are getting 5 more stages as well

Blog Theory(8 more newcomers)
4 Unique: Pokemon(no music Icon, stage), Retro(No Music Icon, No Stage), Rhythm Heaven(Music Icon, stage), Shantae(Music Icon, stage)
4 Echo: Ken(no Stage), Shadow(No Stage), Dixie Kong(No Stage), Medusa(Stage)
Minecraft stage(Music Icon, stage, no character)

Thats just an example. it could work in many ways. Like for example we could get another stage not tied to any series instead of Like Medusa or Pokemon getting a stage but it also doesn't get a music icon(think Halibow, and Balloon Fight), or the retro could get a stage and music icon if the retro has a lot of music(think like Lip from Panel De Pon), or the retro gets a stage but no music icon, like Ice CLimbers, ROB, and Duck Hunt. Also, one thing to note that could be possible with the popular Geno pick: He could not get a music Icon, as they may pair him with Mario, as he is from a Mario game while being owned by square, so him not getting an Icon is likely.

So what do you guys think about this theory? I know its not as detailed with numbers and calculations as the Blog Theory, but so far nothing has debunked this theory yet. Tell me your thoughts, and some suggestions of remaining characters you want that could fit this theory?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
How is this "music icon theory" different from the music theory, and how is this thread distinct from the pre-existing one?

zferolie

Smash Hero
How is this "music icon theory" different from the music theory, and how is this thread distinct from the pre-existing one?
The music theory is about how if you get a music shown on the blog then there will be no unique fighters from that series.

This is only about the Music Screen shown in game, and how there is 3 icons missing for 3 new series represented in music.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Well I think is a solid way to have a guess on how many more newcomers are coming to the game, as otherwise they would have arranged this differently.
There's a glaring flaw with this, and it's not just the assumption that the franchise list has be arranged to make a perfect square grid.

Most layouts are flexible and change size, and they are made with navigation in mind, not scrolling-list perfection. Remember that this is on the Switch, which is also portable, and this feature was made to be a portable music player as well.

We all know Smash's UI has often been crazy or out there. Not even the character selection screens form a perfect square: only Smash64 and Brawl have pulled this off. DLC ruined Smash 4, for both 3DS and Wii U, and may ruin these layouts too.

zferolie

Smash Hero
There's a glaring flaw with this, and it's not just the assumption that the franchise list has be arranged to make a perfect square grid.

Most layouts are flexible and change size, and they are made with navigation in mind, not scrolling-list perfection. Remember that this is on the Switch, which is also portable, and this feature was made to be a portable music player as well.

We all know Smash's UI has often been crazy or out there. Not even the character selection screens form a perfect square: only Smash64 and Brawl have pulled this off. DLC ruined Smash 4, for both 3DS and Wii U, and may ruin these layouts too.
Yeah, DLC will ruin it, but in the base I beleive Smash 4 had the perfect square. I think in the base game having the perfect square is something most developers try for.

Still, this could mean nothing, but it seems off to do it like this when they already could have a perfect square with the 32 icons they have.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So with this leak going around, wanted to bump this as the leak does fit with this theory, along with the edit Isaac: Venus Adept Isaac: Venus Adept did of the screencap I posted in the first thread

music_smash- with potional leak icons.png

This current leak fits onto the music page with Icons for Golden Sun, Banjo Kazooie, and Rhythm Heaven.

Top Bottom