• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Most Powerful Shinobi Racine, WI 4/5/08

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
WI'S FIRST BRAWL TOURNAMENT

Okay u guys here's the scoop. I mentioned before in another thread that I was going to have Brawl tournaments going as soon as I found a new venue to run them...and I did!

I now have the pleasure of presenting our new MONTHLY tournament layout.

Entitled: The Most Powerful Shinobi

Layout:

What: The Most Powerful Shinobi Tournament

Date: Saturday April 5th 2008

Time: Sign Ups/Casuals are at 11AM. Tournament Begins at 12pm. No late entries allowed, period.

Where:
Paul's Video Arcade
5564 Durand Avenue (North East Entrance)
Racine, WI 53406

Games Played: Super Smash Brothers Brawl (This will be the main attraction but other tournaments will be added in the months to come. Especially Tekken 6)

Fees: $6 For Tournament/ $2 Venue Fee = $8 Total...not bad!!!

Why is there a Venue Fee? Because it pays for the space to host the tournament. The Venue Pot goes straight to Paul (owner of the arcade) and the Tournament Pot goes straight to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. I, Webster, do not take any part of the money whatsoever.

Pot Pay Out:

1st: 70%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 10%

Rules for the tournament:

- This is a B.Y.O.C (Bring Your Own Controller) event. So please plan accordingly. Rules are somewhat similar to that of Melee. But since Brawl is a new game I am going to treat it as such.

- Double Elimination Tournament (Cut off @ 12:15pm, if u are there on time then u have no worries)

- 8 Minutes Time

- 3 Stock

- 2 out of 3 matches: Winners, Losers, W/L-final

- 3 out of 5 matches: Grand finals

- First stage is always "Random". Loser may counter pick stage and character. Winner may change character. Then after we go into "Dave's Stupid Rules!!!" - Mode. And most Smashers should know what that means.

Stage Specifics:

Banned Stages:
* Mushromy Kingdom
* Frigate Orphen
* Norfair
* Pirate Ship
* Rumble Falls
* Pokemon Stadium 2
* Spear Pillar
* Distant Planet
* Wario Ware
* New York City
* Summit
* 75M
* Mario Bros.
* Flat Zone 2
* Pictochat
* Temple
* Green Greens
* Big Blue
* Brinstar
* Port Town Aero Drive
* Shadow Moses Island
* Custom Stages

Default Random Stages (5):
* Battle Field
* Final Destination
* Yoshi's Island
* Lylat Cruise
* Smashville

Available for counter pick (15):
* Delfino Plaza
* Luigi's Mansion
* Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World will be abbreviated SMW for now on)
* Castle Siege
* Sky World
* Pokemon Stadium
* Mario Circuit
* Halbred
* Jungle Japes
* Corneria
* Onett
* Rainbow Cruise
* Bridge Of Eldin
* Green Hill Zone
* Hannenbow

Best of luck to all who attend the tournament.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Awesomeness.

You guys we could most definitely use some set ups (T.Vs and Wii, I'll talk to Paul about the possibility to waive the Venue fee for those that help out with equipment).

Rules for the tournament will be updated soon. I just have to play some more and search on how others have ran Brawl tournaments.

I DO want to suggest allowing Final Smash for 2v2. Seems like that could balance the 1v2...I dunno!

Get hype and post up.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Cheap. I like that. I totally like that. If I could get 3 others to help tag along with gas ('cause gas from portage to racine would be like as if it were a normal tournament then) then I'd totally go. I don't think I'm doing anything that weekend...

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Well I totally hope u are able to come and participate.

I kinda hope more people from WI notice this thread. It'd be hella cool if we get some neighboring states (IL, IA, MN, and MI) to come to one of these monthlies.

The more people that come the more incentives we could have at the tournament FYI!!!

BZZL

Smash Apprentice
Sounds interesting. Don't know if I can make the ones during school, but over the summer it's more likely.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
pretty much ditto to bzzl
It's nice to see you're stepping up and essentially creating a sturdy base for the WI brawl scene. The drive kind of sucks but oh well... maybe lone should start running staggered monthlies up here or something.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Sheik and Quaz it'd be pretty cool if u guys brought your Wii's to the tournament. I am bringing mine, if I have it by then.

Man waiting for a Wii sucks fo realz!!! Especially when u already paid for it.

Spikes: Man if u do come, please bring recording equipment. Who do u main now that Doc is out?

Man this tournament is going to be fun. I suspect a good turnout 20+ people...so if we had like 4 setups minimal that would be perfect.

BTW Lucario is the best EVA...FYI!!! :chuckle:

Ethan.

Smash Ace
lol quaz's attempt at jokes. Anyway I disagree on the smashball idea, in 2v2 if it goes down to 2v1, the reward is only having to fight one person, it doesnt need to be "balanced", its already fine.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Ethan: LMAO. 1v2 isn't balanced son...it's pwnage. Final Smash (which is a character specific move...unlike using the other items) may give player an opportunity for a win in 1v2. I mean considering that friendly fire will be on, it's not like a player w/teammate couldn't grab the smash ball either. Then the match would end more quick anyways.

So it cancels each other out.

We are going to do 2v2 like this and see how it plays out. I mean this is the first tournament after-all, there's always room for changes if necessary.

I will post more rules for the tournament asap.

Quaz

Smash Master
well I dont think Im gonna enter teams then, Im not in the mood to waste my money to play with some gay *** items half of thecharacters can rock with (while the other half is completely terrible with final smashes)

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Well that's perfectly fine Quaz...:rolleyes:

I suppose for those who don't like the idea...we could do (gee let's make this match pretty ****ing boring after my teammate is dead...a.k.a) regular teams after the two tournaments...if we have time!

Zicore

Smash Champion
items are like the kid picked last in dodgeball. They are there, but useless...and nobody likes them.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
For those of u complaining about Smash Ball usage during teams I expect u to show up. For now I'm just going to leave it up to a vote when we get there.

Just know there are more than just you guys who post that are going to be at the tournament. And after speaking with them and seeing u guys post it's like 50/50 on it being okay to allow the Smash Ball.

But u guys must remember, this game isn't Melee. It's a new game with new elements and I am going to treat it as such. Well you'll see with the rules.

Midas

Smash Rookie
I might come from Chicago area for this (with a couple friends,) but I need some more info. Rules, banned stages, etc.

Zicore

Smash Champion
its a 3 hour drive for me. To come to an items tourney...meh. I would only come to see quaz =D

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Zicore: WTF are u talking about. Dude I have been in the fighting game scene for a long *** time. I know all about competitive gameplay. But I'm all for changes and balancing **** out to make games, tournaments, etc. run smoothly. I thought adding the Smash Ball (it's one character specific item, not universal ITEMS) would balance out teams and make the match either end quickly or give someone that is solo a chance for a comeback. U make this tournament sound like a big Item Scrub fest, WHICH IT'S NOT!

So to anyone that is even questioning this tournament.

1v1 - NO ITEMS, 3 stock, 5mins time, Stages TBA, no Game freezing glitches of any kind, etc. etc.

2v2 - Will vote on Smash Ball usage, 3 stock, 5mins time, stages TBA, no Game freezing glitches of any kind, etc. etc.

Will update first post with all the rules soon.

Zicore

Smash Champion
I know its not a pure items tourney. But whats the point of trying to put items in to "give the solo person a chance to comeback". Thats dumb. If they win, they should be better cause of skill, not some bull**** item.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Well I'm not one to drag something out online. I am all for pleasing the people I know who may come to this tournament. And right now we are at a dead 50/50 for using the Smash Ball for teams or NOT. So like I said (and after this I am NOT going to repeat myself), we will vote on whether it's (the Smash Ball) used or NOT, at the tournament.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Eeeeww items.

If it's just argument for or against a Smash Ball with no other items, then I can see its possible inclusion (it is technically part of everyone's moveset), but if it's a bunch of other items in there, then... Eeeeww, items.

Sheik_the_Geek

Smash Journeyman
The problem I see about allowing Smash Balls lies in how do you actually regulate the Smash Ball usage? I mean...whats stopping the other 2 guys from getting the smash ball? a DQ? Lets not forget the Smash Ball CAN be knocked out of the guy who currently has it...assuming that happens and the other guy got it by accident, do they still get a DQ? Do you forbid them to use it? All technical details, but they have to be addressed. And what if the 1 guy is someone like Tapion for example who could easily kill 2 people by himself, why should he be allowed the use of a smash ball against 2 people that suck?

Im voting no for Smash Balls anyway, but those were just questions I had to ask.

Id also like to see a banned stages list, is their an official one for Brawl yet? Besides stages banned in Melee, like Big Blue?

Zicore

Smash Champion
And what if the 1 guy is someone like Tapion for example who could easily kill 2 people by himself, why should he be allowed the use of a smash ball against 2 people that suck?
Tapion could do that in melee, but as for brawl...we do not know this...

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
The problem I see about allowing Smash Balls lies in how do you actually regulate the Smash Ball usage? I mean...whats stopping the other 2 guys from getting the smash ball? a DQ? Lets not forget the Smash Ball CAN be knocked out of the guy who currently has it...assuming that happens and the other guy got it by accident, do they still get a DQ? Do you forbid them to use it? All technical details, but they have to be addressed. And what if the 1 guy is someone like Tapion for example who could easily kill 2 people by himself, why should he be allowed the use of a smash ball against 2 people that suck?

Im voting no for Smash Balls anyway, but those were just questions I had to ask.

Id also like to see a banned stages list, is their an official one for Brawl yet? Besides stages banned in Melee, like Big Blue?
Well I guess this couldn't be avoided!!!

1. Moves used by the smash ball are character specific. Think of playing Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and doing Super Hadouken. So technically, as someone already mentioned, it's part of their movelist. Why should characters be stripped of their moves? It's like saying jeeze lets ban DeDeDe's throw so he can't do chain grab. Wouldn't make sense.

2. I said that the smash ball should be allowed for teams. That's it, NO OTHER ITEMS, AND NO SMASH BALL FOR 1v1. Why?

- Considering how long it takes to kill opponents in this game. The matches can drag forever. And we'll be on a strict time schedule as it is. But besides from that I feel that having the smash ball gives a technical aspect on both ends (the one that has it and whoever else that doesn't). I mean, if u and your partner have the smash ball. U could do setups for an easy k.o. Especially considering that the opponent is going to die anyways (because he is outnumbered). But if a skilled player with the smash ball could k.o u both (if u were foolish enough to let him) it would deem for an incredible comeback because of technical useage of the smash ball.

I don't see anything wrong with this. It's 50/50 on both ends.

I just want u all to know that I really could care less if we have it or not. Don't think I am doing this for a personal thing or whatever. It's really based of a lot of peoples opinion who I play with regularly. But in the argument, I just don't see why it'd be bad to have the smash ball in teams. Either it makes the match go more faster or it makes the match more epic because of a great comeback and win.

Sheik: I respect your opinion, but as for now we are all still going to vote on this on the day of the tournament.

Zicore

Smash Champion
- Considering how long it takes to kill opponents in this game. The matches can drag forever. And we'll be on a strict time schedule as it is. But besides from that I feel that having the smash ball gives a technical aspect on both ends (the one that has it and whoever else that doesn't). I mean, if u and your partner have the smash ball. U could do setups for an easy k.o. Especially considering that the opponent is going to die anyways (because he is outnumbered). But if a skilled player with the smash ball could k.o u both (if u were foolish enough to let him) it would deem for an incredible comeback because of technical useage of the smash ball.
I was unaware that it took technical skill to press b and watch your character do ****. As for the characters that HAVE to move around, which isn't many, its not technical at all. Sonic floats around killing everything in 2 hits. Lucario sucks everyone into his beam, and then they get owned. Landmaster just sits there, blasting and twirling. Its not technical, its bs. Yeah, its in the moveset, but swinging a beamsword is in the moveset too. Same with shooting the star-rod. DDD's chainthrow isn't cheap, you can get out of it if you have enough mindgames. But there is no way in hell using an overpowered move is technical when all you have to do it hit B.

And spikes is right too. If you can't win evenly because your partner dropped out, thats your fault. Get a better partner.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Okay I just decided that we are going to do both...well if we have time. We'll start the reg tournament at Noon, Teams NO Smash Ball at 3:30pm, and then Teams w/Smash Ball at 5:30pm.

That way everyone is happy.

Let's discuss something else, like who is actually coming to the tournament.

I have my Wii now. So I'll be posting stages that will/won't be allowed during the tournament before this Saturday. U guys are free to chime in and give me some ideas.

Also this Friday, we are having a Brawl casuals session at Paul's video arcade...I'll post those details later on today (it's Wednesday at 2:03am).

Quaz

Smash Master
I think Neutral Stages should be: Final D, Battlefield, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, pokemon stadium 1 (not 2), and Yoshi's Island (brawl one)

The counterpicks I dunno much of.

Zicore

Smash Champion
I think Neutral Stages should be: Final D, Battlefield, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, pokemon stadium 1 (not 2), and Yoshi's Island (brawl one)

The counterpicks I dunno much of.
Don't forget Delphino Plaza =D

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
OK, 50/50 with it being about Smash Ball, and then only for teams; that, I'm OK with (don't know really which way to say yay or nay). As for stages, let us see...

EDIT: Nvm, it's not really my place to give opinions on some stages that I haven't even played on. They have a thread for that sort of thing lol I shouldn't so hastly give my opinion...

Anyways, thread's here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153706

we can just pick one of the listings, argue for or against a few stages for our own tournament, and we're set.

Top Bottom