• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The most overused characters online(poll)

Which characters do you come across the most online?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Okay I take it back. Sonic is the most used character online. What with his speed, you'd think he wouldn't be able to do so much damage, but I guess not :glare:
400 match ... only 2 sonic ... sry bro if you had no luck ...

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
I get a lot of Lucinas for some reason

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I've seen as much Bowsers as Little Macs, but I mainly do team battles so see I a lot of everything.

Last edited:

Vanillascout

Smash Cadet
Okay I take it back. Sonic is the most used character online. What with his speed, you'd think he wouldn't be able to do so much damage, but I guess not :glare:
I ****ing love fighting Sonic as Ganon. I can entirely 100% rely on their utterly stupid playstyle where they keep coming at me with that stupid rollout thing. And every time, I just do a simple ftilt and knock them straight back.

Eventually I'll get bored and KO with a smash or shorthop dair.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I ****ing love fighting Sonic as Ganon. I can entirely 100% rely on their utterly stupid playstyle where they keep coming at me with that stupid rollout thing. And every time, I just do a simple ftilt and knock them straight back.

Eventually I'll get bored and KO with a smash or shorthop dair.
I find it difficult to hit any half decent one :( It usually requires me to take up a really defensive playstyle, which is boring and takes forever.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
An update to what I said earlier. I've seen significantly less Macs now and a ton of ZSS users. However, people I've met up with that use her have been just as predictable as the Macs I faced prior to this. Such is the life of a 60% win rate matchmaking though.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
An update to what I said earlier. I've seen significantly less Macs now and a ton of ZSS users. However, people I've met up with that use her have been just as predictable as the Macs I faced prior to this. Such is the life of a 60% win rate matchmaking though.
Yeah well it's not like these players will suddenly get better just because they swapped to another character.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
Yeah well it's not like these players will suddenly get better just because they swapped to another character.
I don't remember saying anything about them getting better or swapping characters. I've just been seeing a lot of people who, similar to bad Little Mac players, don't know how to use ZSS.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I don't remember saying anything about them getting better or swapping characters. I've just been seeing a lot of people who, similar to bad Little Mac players, don't know how to use ZSS.
I know you didn't. I'm just saying.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
It's been pretty random every time. MAYBE Little Mac but not by much and it's not a bad thing.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Whoa, so many votes for Mac! The thing I don't understand is that I've hardly come across any other Macs, maybe 5 or 6 out of 96 matches (seriously). I mostly see Robins and Shulks to be honest, and a few Greninjas. How come everyone else sees Little Macs so much (maybe I was one of them lol)?

Actually, I've got a theory. I think the amount of talk about how many Little Macs there are has changed peoples mindsets, so even people who only encounter Mac every so often remember that more and generally believe they've encountered Mac a lot. I'm just saying that that's how our brains work (...right?).

Artificialignorance

Smash Rookie
I'm suprised, I have not fought as many Little Mac's as everyone has played against. I've been seeing more Lucina's and Yoshi's. I've only fought 1 Little Mac out of 50 online battles so far.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Whoa, so many votes for Mac! The thing I don't understand is that I've hardly come across any other Macs, maybe 5 or 6 out of 96 matches (seriously). I mostly see Robins and Shulks to be honest, and a few Greninjas. How come everyone else sees Little Macs so much (maybe I was one of them lol)?

Actually, I've got a theory. I think the amount of talk about how many Little Macs there are has changed peoples mindsets, so even people who only encounter Mac every so often remember that more and generally believe they've encountered Mac a lot. I'm just saying that that's how our brains work (...right?).
Huh. Okay. Well, that is a thing that can happen. However, the easy way around that is to keep records. The bad news is that I can't seem to find any way to see how many times I've fought Little Mac online. The good news is that I do have a lot of replays. The bad news is that I haven't saved a replay for every match. In the end, this amounts to a somewhat random assortment of incomplete data. Sortof like taking a survey instead of a census.

However, since my replays are the only data I have, I suppose they'll have to do.

There were times when I had multiple replays from the same guy using the same character. I didn't count those kinds of duplicates.

Here's the final tally for my replay data:

Little Mac: 6
ZSS: 5

Pac-Man: 3

Villager: 2
Lucario: 2
Mario: 2
Bowser Jr: 2
Pit: 2
Duck Hunt Dog: 2
Robin: 2

Ness: 1
Shulk: 1
Zelda: 1
Rosaluma: 1
Captain Falcon: 1
Luigi: 1
Greninja: 1
Meta Knight: 1
Marth: 1
Mr G+W: 1
Dr. Mario: 1
Olimar: 1
Pikachu: 1
Ganondorf: 1
Lucina: 1

So as you can see, the only rival for Little Mac was Zero Suit Samus. Pac-Man was an honorable mention but no one else even came close.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Huh. Okay. Well, that is a thing that can happen. However, the easy way around that is to keep records. The bad news is that I can't seem to find any way to see how many times I've fought Little Mac online. The good news is that I do have a lot of replays. The bad news is that I haven't saved a replay for every match. In the end, this amounts to a somewhat random assortment of incomplete data. Sortof like taking a survey instead of a census.

However, since my replays are the only data I have, I suppose they'll have to do.

There were times when I had multiple replays from the same guy using the same character. I didn't count those kinds of duplicates.

Here's the final tally for my replay data:

Little Mac: 6
ZSS: 5

Pac-Man: 3

Villager: 2
Lucario: 2
Mario: 2
Bowser Jr: 2
Pit: 2
Duck Hunt Dog: 2
Robin: 2

Ness: 1
Shulk: 1
Zelda: 1
Rosaluma: 1
Captain Falcon: 1
Luigi: 1
Greninja: 1
Meta Knight: 1
Marth: 1
Mr G+W: 1
Dr. Mario: 1
Olimar: 1
Pikachu: 1
Ganondorf: 1
Lucina: 1

So as you can see, the only rival for Little Mac was Zero Suit Samus. Pac-Man was an honorable mention but no one else even came close.
Like you said, the data is kind of unreliable, but I see what you mean. I know a lot of people keep running into Macs but it just doesn't happen that often for me. Someone who has the time should do 100 or so matches while recording what character their opponent uses. It probably will still be Little Mac though. Hopefully after a while all of these players who go Little Mac and spam Dash attack only will start to realize that you can't win like that and the character actually requires more in-depth strategy and skill to be played well.

I still don't know why everyone's running into Mac's though. Like I said, for me it's Robins and Shulks.

draco474

Smash Rookie
When i first started playing online I saw a lot of Robin's and Marth/Lucina's. Now i just see mainly Sonic, Koopalings, ZSS, and Dr. Mario.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I seem to get a lot of Shulks, and a lot of people who refuse to switch characters. Diversity is not a common thing in Sm4sh, it seems.

Jasir

Smash Rookie
It doesn't necessarily mean that if a character is used a lot online that he or she is over powered. This poll was to determine who you come across online the most. Maybe Lil Mac is just a really fun character to use.

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
All of the newcomers (mostly little mac, villager, and greninja) and brawl low tiers that are now good (mario, link, bowser).

JiNinja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hydro_jin
I've only fought 2 lil macs and they kept suiciding with the side b. I mostly see bowsers, marios, and shieks

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
All them Macs lol.
Oddly enough, I have fought a grand total of 4 matches against Little Mac, two of which were the same dude. For those playing at home, that means I've fought 3 unique Macs.
Robin, on the other hand, I seem to run into every other match. Really odd.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I seem to get a lot of Shulks, and a lot of people who refuse to switch characters. Diversity is not a common thing in Sm4sh, it seems.
Hey, if I don't switch character it means I want to focus and improve :) If someone continues to play when I don't switch, I assume it means they want to get some practice solely against my character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom