• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The most hated character in history - Navi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord

I actually don't mind Navi, and she represents a very important part of the Legend of Zelda. I previously supported Midna a lot because of it, but currently the Legend of Zelda series lacks a representative for the "sidekick" role! Navi, Tatl, The King of Red Lions, Phantom Zelda, Midna and Fi are really the sidekicks of LoZ, but of all of them, Navi is the most iconic. Everyone knows her, whether they know her as "the annoying fairy" or "Hey! Listen! Girl!" they know who she is and they know that she is a part of the Legend of Zelda, 2 important features when looking for representatives of the franchise.

Navi was the sidekick in arguably the most popular LoZ game of all time -- Ocarina of Time -- which has been ported several times, most noticeably so onto the 3DS around its release date. It is also on Virtual Console, though.

It would be a bit of a stretch, however, to find a moveset fully-working for Navi. Sakurai could undoubtedly do it if he tried, but right now for me it's 11 PM and I'm not Sakurai, so I'll throw something together tomorrow...

Navi is also in one of Link's taunts, and got a special appearance in the Subspace Emissary flying alongside Link in the forest place with the master sword. Sakurai knows of Navi and apparently thinks of her as Link's most important companion (otherwise Midna would be his taunt surely?) and Midna is Assist Trophy status already. This could mean that Navi is even more...

Yeah, probably not.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think Navi's represented pretty much perfectly already. I could get behind a great fairy as a playable character, though...if it looked like a larger version of this:

D

Deleted member

I could get behind a playable fairy if it looked like this:

Edit - Large image. Collapsed. - Hong

Last edited by a moderator:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I wonder whom people hate more: Navi or Keapora Geabora? (Not that I am amongst those people, mind you)

Personally, I have always liked Navi. Honestly, back in the late 90's (when Ocarina of Time first came out for the Nintendo 64), that moment at the end of Ocarina of Time, when Navi and Link part ways, always made mine throat tight. Truth be told, that moment still gets me--every single time. I must say, I was absolutely thrilled to learn that she will be in Hyrule Warriors.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I wonder whom people hate more: Navi or Keapora Geabora? (Not that I am amongst those people, mind you)

Personally, I have always liked Navi. Honestly, back in the late 90's (when Ocarina of Time first came out for the Nintendo 64), that moment at the end of Ocarina of Time, when Navi and Link part ways, always made mine throat tight. Truth be told, that moment still gets me--every single time. I must say, I was absolutely thrilled to learn that she will be in Hyrule Warriors.
Personally, I try to block both out of my memory, but Navi is always there soooooo.... yea....

thegreatpike

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2943-8529
Am I the only one around here who actually likes Navi and never found her annoying at all. Fi on the other hand is the worst thing ever happened to mankind (a little exaggerating here, but srsly I hate Fi so much :mad:).

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Am I the only one around here who actually likes Navi and never found her annoying at all. Fi on the other hand is the worst thing ever happened to mankind (a little exaggerating here, but srsly I hate Fi so much :mad:).
Do you play with the volume muted or something? Becau-Listen! Listen! Listen! Listen!

Last edited:

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I think the title of this thread pretty much explains why Navi shouldn't be playable.

thegreatpike

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2943-8529
Do you play with the volume muted or something? Becau-Listen! Listen! Listen! Listen!
I don't think it's such a big deal. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but that "Listen!" never bothers me. I mean there aren't so many times where Navi says it, except for the beginning, when she tells you how to open doors etc., but it's in the tutorial level so that's ok for me.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Actually, people seem to exaggarate how much Navi says "Listen" anyway. She only does this everytime you enter a new section, town or etc. Never in dungeons though. When you stay in one place, she won't say anything until half hours have passed.

Personally, I never minded Navi, and feel bad for her getting ****ted on by the whole VG cult in general. Wanted to write this one fanfic even where she's the protagonist of OOT and other wacky stuff.

Hong

The Strongest
I am not saying this to debunk your character, but Navi would be a hilarious gag Assist Trophy.

*gets launched*
"LOOK OUT!"

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Navi isn't nearly as hated as Fi from Skyward Sword (which is a shame, because I love Fi).

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
if you could have that fairy/navi/Cursor Fairy follow link around as he fights and give his melee taunt back that be cool but that not happen sadly

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I love Navi.
I don't know why.
For a long time I even thought others did too.

Heh.

But I do not support her as a charater in Vaati's spot. This, of course, being when Sheik is dropped for Impa, and Skull Kid ecomes playable.

So, ya know, my 'better' fan roster.

jigglover

Smash Lord
she can't do anything but talk dude
And she is iconic anyway.

Talking is not all she can do. She is what allows Link to Z-Target, and obviously like all fairies in the series will have healing powers. Navi turns green when she wants Link's attention, which could be done in a flashy way and could be some kind of plant based attack. Fairies have a certain affinity with some of the songs Link plays on his ocarina, too, appearing at Gossip Stones when he plays certain songs there. This could be used for attacks.

Alternatively, there could be another route Sakurai takes with the character.

In The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass there are 3 fairies -- Neri, Ciela and Leaf -- who all have different powers. Navi could be the base, with some type of Z-targeting attack, and then for her other specials, she could change colour, blue, yellow or red for Neri, Ciela and Leaf respectively. Leaf, despite being called "leaf" has the power of flame. Neri, the blue fairy, is a healer of types, having a stunning shield attack in Phantom Hourglass. Ciela is the ranged attacker -- she can fire off Sword Beams!

What I'm saying hre, is that "she can't do anything but talk" is an incredibly unimaginative and baseless statement.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Whoa... are we really going to argue 'all any character can do is ____'

That is worse than the size arguement.
Every character without fail has a lot to draw on.
As a very creative person myself, I never understood this. I see a lot of potential with every option, some just seem to have much less stretch of potential, but all have some very unique potential. Really, are we in doubt of Sakurai, still, @ Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming ?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Whoa... are we really going to argue 'all any character can do is ____'

That is worse than the size arguement.
Every character without fail has a lot to draw on.
As a very creative person myself, I never understood this. I see a lot of potential with every option, some just seem to have much less stretch of potential, but all have some very unique potential. Really, are we in doubt of Sakurai, still, @ Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming ?
Come up with a moveset for Navi, , made of only Canon things.

thegreatpike

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2943-8529
Although I do NOT support Navi as a playable character, I created a moveset for her.

Movement:
Navi is always in the air, but this is only a visual thing. It doesn't affect the gameplay. She would play like a character with multiple jumps and also has different moves for ground and aerial attacks.

Ground Attacks:
Jab-Combo: she bounces back and forth, similar to Pikachu's jab
Utilt: upward swing (imagine Navi doing an uppercut :grin:)
Ftilt: Tackle (yeah...like in Pokémon)
Dtilt: foot sweep, makes opponent trip
Dash-Attack: makes a loop, multi-hit attack, last hit has some knockback
Usmash: similar to Utilt, but stronger, because Navi flies down before she swings up
Fsmash: headbutt, very good KO move, but Navi hurts herself like in the opening of OoT, when she flies against the fence
Dsmash: looks similar to the animation of a fairy who heals Link, multiple hitboxes in front and behind Navi

Aerial attacks (those are references to the 5 sword moves Link can perform in OoT):
Fair: vertical attack
Bair: horizontal attack
Uair: stab attack
Nair: spin attack (multiple hitboxes with low knockback)
Dair: jump attack (Navi jumps in midair an then immediately attack downwards with a meteor smash)

Grabs:
How are fairies supposed to grab??? I don't know, but G&W is 2D and he can grab 3D people. You have to deal with it. :cool:
Since Navi has no arms, it would be hard to recognize, when she has grabbed someone. So I think Navi should change her color, but it must be a color, that is not used for costumes/pallet swaps. In OoT Navi becomes yellow, green or blue. Because green and blue are usually used for team battles, I would say yellow is the best option. So remember: When Navi grabs someone, she becomes yellow.
Pummel: Navi releases the oppenent for a short moment to tackle him, then she grabs him again
Fthrow: Navi gains momentum by flying a little bit backwards with the opponent still in her "hands", then throws him forward
Bthrow: like Fthrow only other way round
Uthrow: like Fthrow and Bthrow, but she's flying downwards the sends the opponent upwards
Dthrow: Navi throws opponent on the ground then bounces on him very fast (like in OoT, when she wakes up Link)

Special attacks:
UpB / Fairy Flight: like Pits UpB in Brawl, but can be used again if Navi gets hit (she needs a ridiculous good recovery, because she's the lightest character in the game)
SideB / Z-Targeting: Navi shoots a target circle (I mean the circle you can see, when you target an enemy in OoT), if an opponent is hit he will be targeted until Navi gets damage, DownB and B only affect targeted opponents
B / Listen! Navi says "Listen!" and flies with high speed to the targeted opponent, it deals no damage, but it would be the fastest approach in the game (faster then a running Sonic ;))
DownB / Watch out!: Navi says "Watch out!" and a random Zelda enemy appears behind the targeted player then attacks, the enemy only attacks once then disappears (similar to Zelda's Phantom) and it can be killed before it attacks

Example enemies:
Stalfos: strong sword attack, only killed by strong attacks
Wolfos: like Stalfos but weaker and faster
Redead: slow, but if he gets to you he will grab and **** you (like in OoT :grin:)
Iron Knuckle: extremly slow, but nearly impossible to kill, if he hits you, he hits you hard
Fire/Ice Keese: it's a bat with fire/ice effect, every attack will kill it, if it hits you it will be like Mario's Fireball/Ice Climbers' Ice Shot

Final smash:
The Great Deku Tree appears in the background and it starts raining dekunuts for a short time, then he opens his mouth and whoever is too close to the mouth gets sucked in, after that all opponents who are inside the tree are sent flying

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Let's travel back to the mystical land of 1998, before the Brothers Of Smash came out for the Nintendo 64.

"Come up with a moveset for Captain Falcon, , made of only Canon things."

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Most hated character in history? Seems to be exaggerating a bit, but maybe it's because I personally never hated her.

I do like Hong's idea of a gag AT though. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom