• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The most entertaining characters to watch

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
The most entertaining character to watch is Jigglypuff, and basically any low or bottom tier.

The least entertaining character to watch is Fox. Mango makes him tolerable, though.

Hype as ****:
:jigglypuffmelee::ganondorfmelee::roymelee::zeldamelee::bowsermelee:
Very Hype:
:falconmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee::samusmelee:
Hype:
:luigimelee::dkmelee::younglinkmelee::drmario::yoshimelee::mariomelee:
Eh:
:pichumelee::linkmelee::pikachumelee::mewtwomelee::icsmelee:
Boring:
:peachmelee::gawmelee::nessmelee::kirbymelee:
Boring as ****:
:foxmelee:

Vrbtm

My criteria:

Hype as **** - In order for a character to be hype as ****, the character must be very low-tier or abysmal, with the exception of Jigglypuff. It doesn't matter if they win or lose. Just seeing these characters in action is a real treat, because you never usually get to see them. Jigglypuff is the only exception, because everyone hates her and thinks she's boring. Even though she's not. This, conversely, makes her the underdog. You want the Puff player to win, because you like watching people whine and cry about it, which boosts an already fun-to-watch character through the roof in terms of how hype they are. Hungrybox the GOAT. 666XX forever.

Very hype - Characters you might see very frequently, but are still very fun to watch in the hands of a skilled player. Typically, these characters are best watched when used by dedicated character loyalists such as S2J, Westballz, or Hugs--or when they're pulled out unexpectedly, like Mango's Marth, Mew2King's Marth, or Plup's Samus. Results usually don't matter. Winning helps, but they're solidly hype either way.

Hype - The hypeness of these characters are very result-dependent. It's only hype when they win--otherwise, it just feels kinda sad.

Eh - The hypeness of these characters is dependent upon the player himself. Only a select few players know how to make these characters fun, and sometimes, they're not even very good at that. Plus, they tend to lose. Shoutouts to Axe, though.

Boring - I honestly just can't stand watching any of these characters. Peach is only hype if she pulls a stitch/bomb/beam sword. Mr. G&W has one good player who has no results at all, and he never shows up anywhere. As for Ness, even Hungrybox can't make him entertaining to watch. And then there's Kirby. It just kind of frustrates me to watch this character. He's just... so bad. It genuinely makes me angry how ****ty he is. That ain't fun.

Boring as **** - Just Fox. **** this character. **** his shines. **** his drill kicks. **** his up-smash. **** his lasers. **** his speed. **** his power. **** his dominance. **** his over-centralization of the metagame. **** his boring-ass playstyle. **** this character. I have no respect for anyone who mains him, except for Mango. 20XX must not happen.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
Boring as **** - Just Fox. **** this character. **** his shines. **** his drill kicks. **** his up-smash. **** his lasers. **** his speed. **** his power. **** his dominance. **** his over-centralization of the metagame. **** his boring-*** playstyle. **** this character. I have no respect for anyone who mains him, except for Mango. 20XX must not happen.
Spoken like a skilled Roy.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
You want the Puff player to win, because you like watching people whine and cry about it, which boosts an already fun-to-watch character through the roof in terms of how hype they are. Hungrybox the GOAT. 666XX forever.
So you think camping ledge and the wall of pain is hype. That's an interesting definition of hype you have there.

How do you have Falco as very hype, and Fox as low-tier hypeness? Falco's Dair is the easiest gimp in the game, he has pretty easy shine combos (unless you know how to properly SDI out of it,) and his lasers shut down pretty much everyone's movement. Pretty much the only cheap thing Fox has is U-Throw Uair for an early kill (against super floaties) and shine gimps. With that said, I still think both spacies are pretty high on the hype train. Shiek, however, can sink a few tiers with her chaingrabs on half of the cast, super good tech chases, (D-Tilt ->) F-Tilt -> Fair for instant death, extreme disjoints, super high priority, and hitboxes that stay out and strong for like a quadrillion frames.

Also, Roy's suckiness kills the hype sometimes:
http://giant.gfycat.com/EagerSillyDogfish.mp4

Last edited:

notkaleb

Smash Rookie
**** puff, fox is fun to watch because of his technicality. Puff is literally just spamming bair and fair.
edit:
so you like puff... because youre a hipster and try to like things because other people dont?

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Most Hype (imo obviously): Ganon, falcon, plumbers going ham (scorp, shroomed, top luigis), and westballz Falco going ham.
Honorable mention: Marth

Hypeness usually depends on matchup and is magnified when the opponent is a spacey imo (honorable mention: falcon).

Most boring: Anything campy (although I recognize and appreciate good melee... a patient player is a good player) but generally I'd say Kirby, Ness, pichu.
Almost as boring: zelda (sorry guys), sheik.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Honestly when people say puff is just "spamming back airs" they aren't paying attention to the game or can't think at a high level. If you actually pay attention to positioning and movement a good puff fox game is very interesting to watch, and unless it's like Armada vs Hbox at Evo the match up tends to be pretty tense and explosive at parts.

I think spacy dittos are overrated. If I see Chillin vs Milkman I end up more disappointed at "high level" gameplay. Obviously I'm not better, but they drop so many things that I find it hard to watch. Just because the characters move fast doesn't automatically make it entertaining.

Vrbtm

So you think camping ledge and the wall of pain is hype. That's an interesting definition of hype you have there.
Walls-of-pain are very fun to watch. I just think it's a cool technique, and you can see the finesse required to pull it off properly. It helps if the victim is Fox, who I love seeing get beat up in general.

As for camping ledges not being hype, have you no tense of tension?

How do you have Falco as very hype, and Fox as low-tier hypeness?
Simple--he has cooler combos, and is an ostensibly worse character than Fox in general. I do not take "easiness" into account. The most braindead character can be fun as hell to watch if their combos are stylish enough. Not that Falco's braindead. Falco is about as technical as Fox. His combos are easier, sure, but Falco mains have to work with his lower speed and his bad recovery. It's a good balance.

Fox is just a piece of ****. He has no business being as strong as he is, and he's pretty anti-hype because so many people play him. It shows that they care more about winning than they do about having fun and playing whoever they want. You can see it in their gameplay. Armada, Hax, and Leffen have this very robotic, soulless playstyle, and it's sickeningly boring to watch. Mango is the only Fox player who has any fun with his character.

As for your Sheik concerns, yeah, I can see how the chain-grabbing can kill the hype. I'm not personally bothered by it, though. I don't even mind wobbling that much. The only chaingrabs I hate are Fox on FD and ESPECIALLY Peach on FD. Get ****ed, Armada.

Also, Roy's suckiness kills the hype sometimes:
http://giant.gfycat.com/EagerSillyDogfish.mp4
I'll give you that. As a Roy player, I'm pretty biased. I just like seeing him no matter what.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
It shows that they care more about winning than they do about having fun and playing whoever they want.
Wow, good point. It's almost like they want to win in a competition. Silly, right?

Besides, Fox is very fun to play. Who is to say that they don't love Fox and consider him their favorite?

If this is a troll I was successfully triggered

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Wow, good point. It's almost like they want to win in a competition. Silly, right?
Yes. There's more to life than winning tournaments. Being a Roy player has taught me that much.

Who is to say that they don't love Fox and consider him their favorite?
It's an assumption that I make based on their playstyle. Players like Mango and Mew2King know how to have fun. Armada, Leffen, Hax, etc. do not.

I could be completely wrong about that, but regardless, they're still boring as all hell for me to watch, and I love seeing them lose.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Yes. There's more to life than winning tournaments. Being a Roy player has taught me that much.

It's an assumption that I make based on their playstyle. Players like Mango and Mew2King know how to have fun. Armada, Leffen, Hax, etc. do not.

I could be completely wrong about that, but regardless, they're still boring as all hell for me to watch, and I love seeing them lose.
You truly are the Roy-est of Roy mains, huh?

LOL @ Mew2King having a fun playstyle over Hax. Hax does so much unnecessary techskill just to show off and have fun.

And of course there is more to life than winning tournaments. But you don't tell an NFL player that there is more to life than winning the Super Bowl, right? Smash is no different.

Vrbtm

And of course there is more to life than winning tournaments. But you don't tell an NFL player that there is more to life than winning the Super Bowl, right? Smash is no different.
The subject of the thread, though, is who's entertaining to watch. I'm not debating whether people should forgo optimal strategy for the sake of entertaining the stream monsters. I'm just stating what I personally find the most hype, and Fox, as strong and tournament-viable as he is, is the biggest ResidentSleeper there is. At least with Hbox's Jigglypuff, you can see the passion in his play.

I don't know how you see anything in Hax's Fox. Just because he has tech skill? So what? That make him entertaining?

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
The subject of the thread, though, is who's entertaining to watch. I'm not debating whether people should forgo optimal strategy for the sake of entertaining the stream monsters. I'm just stating what I personally find the most hype, and Fox, as strong and tournament-viable as he is, is the biggest ResidentSleeper there is. At least with Hbox's Jigglypuff, you can see the passion in his play.
Fair enough. I am a huge Hbox fan so I have to agree with his passion, but I can see the passion in all of the top players play. The more in depth you look at it, and realizing how much more they see in the game compared to us, that is love for the game.
I don't know how you see anything in Hax's Fox. Just because he has tech skill? So what? That make him entertaining?
It's not really just about the tech skill, I was just bringing that up to show that he isn't all business and he likes to swag and have fun. Hax is a genius player, that makes him entertaining.

Anyway, to actually address the point of this thread.

Favorites: :jigglypuffmelee::foxmelee::ganondorfmelee:
Love to watch: The rest except for Roy
**** you: :roymelee:

notkaleb

Smash Rookie
Its kind of sad that you completely **** on Fox simply because hes the best character. He's by far the most difficult and technical character to play, so people people who play him well really deserve respect.

You hate on things that are popular because they are popular. Grade A hipster

edit

most notable quotes of this thread:
Spoken like a skilled Roy.
Boring as **** - Just Fox. **** this character. **** his shines. **** his drill kicks. **** his up-smash. **** his lasers. **** his speed. **** his power. **** his dominance. **** his over-centralization of the metagame. **** his boring-*** playstyle. **** this character. I have no respect for anyone who mains him, except for Mango. 20XX must not happen.
Walls-of-pain are very fun to watch. I just think it's a cool technique, and you can see the finesse required to pull it off properly.
At least with Hbox's Jigglypuff, you can see the passion in his play.
And for that last one I'd like to point out Hungrybox's pop offs are fake and forced, if that's what you mean by passion.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Its kind of sad that you completely **** on Fox simply because hes the best character.
Except I don't. And if you read the thread, you would know that.
He's by far the most difficult and technical character to play
Doesn't make him hype.
You hate on things that are popular because they are popular. Grade A hipster
Even if I were a "hipster," there's absolutely nothing wrong with being one. Hipsters are right about 90% of everything anyway.
And for that last one I'd like to point out Hungrybox's pop offs are fake and forced, if that's what you mean by passion.
No, that's not what I meant by passion. Besides, you have no proof of that.

Fox is boring, and Jigglypuff is hype as ****.

Get over it.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Yeah dude you're right Roy is the hypest of hype. I mean don't you just love when you try to zone out your opponent and you just get punished every time you connect with a move? Don't you love two hit combos that depend mostly on reads instead of legitamite follow ups? Don't you love dying every time you're offstage? Yeah Roy is really just so fun to watch, you're right. Can't wait to see more Roy vs Sheik because that's really more entertaining than an actual competitive match with actual competitive characters.

Please, if watching low tiers is "good entertainment" and fox is boring then I'll just go watch my 6 and 11 year old brothers play Mewtwo vs Bowser since that's "hype." You can stick to your definition that caters to casual players who don't understand the game, I actually enjoy watching good play.

Last edited:

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
Personally, a very showy Fox is always hype for me to watch. I think it's just the amount of tech skill and meta game knowledge that goes into it that impresses me. That said, however, seeing low tiers in tournament are just as hype to me, especially if the player is good, just because you can see the amount of skill and effort they've put into maining that character. With Jigglypuff, I'm always on the edge of my seat because she's a glass cannon and the matches are usually close, you never really know who's gonna win.

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
As a Puff main, I can tell you that Puff matches are not exciting to watch. At some points, it feels like watching 64 again. It's slow, spacing game with nothing but bairs, fais, and desperate attempts at rest setups. I love playing as puff, but I'd watch a Fox-on-Fox over Puff-on-anyone any day.

Fox has the speed, the tech skill, the combos, and the style.

Puff is like chess. Fun to play, but hard to watch.

*Disclaimer
I'll admit, I'm being hard on Puff. She can be very hype to watch, especially with match-ending gimps and hard reads with rest. However, it is just due to the fundamentals of her game play that she would not be nearly as exciting as a Fox/Falco/Falcon/Sheik/(and even) Marth.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Yeah dude you're right Roy is the hypest of hype. I mean don't you just love when you try to zone out your opponent and you just get punished every time you connect with a move?
Get good. This has absolutely nothing to do with hype, you absolute pillock.
Don't you love two hit combos that depend mostly on reads instead of legitamite follow ups?
Yes. This has nothing to do with hype, you worthess toerag.
Don't you love dying every time you're offstage?
Don't go off-stage. This has nothing to do with hype, you complete dipstick.
Yeah Roy is really just so fun to watch, you're right. Can't wait to see more Roy vs Sheik because that's really more entertaining than an actual competitive match with actual competitive characters.
Yes. Underdogs are always, always, always, ALWAYS more hype. Even 2 year olds know this.
Please, if watching low tiers is "good entertainment" and fox is boring then I'll just go watch my 6 and 11 year old brothers play Mewtwo vs Bowser since that's "hype." You can stick to your definition that caters to casual players who don't understand the game, I actually enjoy watching good play.
You know, sometimes, I forget that this is meant to be a kid's game. Am I dealing with a bunch of kids here? Seems like it.
Maybe grow up before you try talking about this (or any) subject with an adult. Okay? Okay.
I'm a fan of all the characters
Also, way to backpedal, you utter child.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

At some points, it feels like watching 64 again. It's slow, spacing game with nothing but bairs, fais, and desperate attempts at rest setups.
What about this isn't exciting to watch?

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
What about this isn't exciting to watch?
I like 64, but it's the chess of the series. The entire meta is to play defensively until you can 0-death your opponent. Bursts of extreme excitement, with very long periods of slow, campy play. Fun to play, and even pretty nice to watch, but not very hype.

Puff is the same way, though faster paced than 64. It's short bursts of action with very long periods of ledge-camping.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

I like 64, but it's the chess of the series. The entire meta is to play defensively until you can 0-death your opponent. Bursts of extreme excitement, with very long periods of slow, campy play. Fun to play, and even pretty nice to watch, but not very hype.

Puff is the same way, though faster paced than 64. It's short bursts of action with very long periods of ledge-camping.
You haven't explained how slow, campy play with ledge-camping isn't hype.

It builds tension.

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
Walls-of-pain are very fun to watch. I just think it's a cool technique, and you can see the finesse required to pull it off properly. It helps if the victim is Fox, who I love seeing get beat up in general.

Simple--he has cooler combos, and is an ostensibly worse character than Fox in general. I do not take "easiness" into account. The most braindead character can be fun as hell to watch if their combos are stylish enough. Not that Falco's braindead. Falco is about as technical as Fox. His combos are easier, sure, but Falco mains have to work with his lower speed and his bad recovery. It's a good balance.

Fox is just a piece of ****. He has no business being as strong as he is, and he's pretty anti-hype because so many people play him. It shows that they care more about winning than they do about having fun and playing whoever they want. You can see it in their gameplay. Armada, Hax, and Leffen have this very robotic, soulless playstyle, and it's sickeningly boring to watch. Mango is the only Fox player who has any fun with his character.

As for your Sheik concerns, yeah, I can see how the chain-grabbing can kill the hype. I'm not personally bothered by it, though. I don't even mind wobbling that much. The only chaingrabs I hate are Fox on FD and ESPECIALLY Peach on FD. Get ****ed, Armada.

I'll give you that. As a Roy player, I'm pretty biased. I just like seeing him no matter what.
Damn dude, your opinions are kind of jaded. I'm an og doc main and I used to think that the worse the character, the more fun to play/watch. And then I actually started playing spacies. Fox dittos are the most fun matchup for me and I am on the edge of my seat every game. It's janky as **** and every shine spike and upsmash is hilarious. Fox/falco and falco dittos are also amazing...

Your assessment that people play these characters to win is obstensibly (nice word bro) wrong. Spacies are like the hidden game inside melee that no other fighting game has ever replicated. Where I'm from, it's cool if you can play floaties well...but play me as falco bro and we can see who's the real master. I play spacies because it's fun as ****. Just because they are hard to play and require practice does not make it soulless.

I like low tiers as much as the next guy, but you need to respect fox. He is a big part of what makes melee an enduring classic.

MKarma

Smash Cadet
Here's the breakdown of this thread.

1. Reply with a list of reasons why "character" is boring and "character" is hype
2. Get a response (optionally cursing at you) telling you that in their completely uncommon opinion; it is extremely entertaining and get called out for not understand the depth of the game.
3. Realize this is a troll thread.

Vrbtm

Here's the breakdown of this thread.

1. Reply with a list of reasons why "character" is boring and "character" is hype
2. Get a response (optionally cursing at you) telling you that in their completely uncommon opinion; it is extremely entertaining and get called out for not understand the depth of the game.
3. Realize this is a troll thread.
Ah, the classic "Someone has a different opinion than me? TROLL!" chestnut. You must be 12.

Vrbtm

Hey man 13 year olds have to get their laughs somehow and how else other than claiming 90% of hipsters are right and that Roy really is a legitamite competitive character?
When in the holy mother of all **** did I EVER say that Roy is a "legitamite competitive" (learn how to ****ing spell, kid) character?

That's not what the ****ing thread is about, dip****. It's about who is the most entertaining to watch. Roy is EXTREMELY entertaining to watch, despite the fact that he's one of the ****tiest characters in the game.

Jesus H. mother****ing goddamn Christ.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
When in the holy mother of all **** did I EVER say that Roy is a "legitamite competitive" (learn how to ****ing spell, kid) character?

That's not what the ****ing thread is about, dip****. It's about who is the most entertaining to watch. Roy is EXTREMELY entertaining to watch, despite the fact that he's one of the ****tiest characters in the game.

Jesus H. mother****ing goddamn Christ.
If it's about the most entertaining characters in the game I'm not sure why this isn't in the Fox forum? You may have posted in the wrong place

TheAcornDestroyer

Smash Rookie
Watching Roy never win neutral and getting killed without returning damage every stock is really entertaining and hype for me personally. It's great when he lands a hit because I'll have to wait another minute for that to happen again. I really live for those moments when he can score that one clean f smash. Also, the fact that he isn't played often makes him great for stream. Viewers can get hyped in anticipation of a 4 stock!

Stick Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sticker
3DS FC
1633-4504-2636
Hype as ****:
:foxmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee:
Very Hype:
:ganondorfmelee::falconmelee::mariomelee::luigimelee::pikachumelee::pichumelee:
Hype:
:roymelee::drmario::mewtwomelee::yoshimelee: