• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mind Game Metagame

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Hey all,

There is a pattern of behavior--commonalities of play, that are common across players. It is through understanding these patterns of behavior that we learn how to win a neutral game, or edgeguard an opponent. But most importantly (and special to Smash) is learning how to punish properly.

Punishing properly rarely gets discussed, and I think that is largely because it is improvised. For most players who have a strong punish game, it is instinctual and a "gut feeling" exercise to read where an opponent will tech, roll, or anything else. But while an opponent always has a number of choices at their disposal, and reads are often a form of guess work, that doesn't mean we can't establish some common patterns of behavior that will increase our abilities to punish an opponent properly.

I spoke to @GMaster171 about this, and I've gone ahead and written some of the rules we both have isolated of common behavior. Let's make this thread a place to discuss what rules tend to be true, what rules tend to be false, and what rules are we not considering as of yet.

DISCLAIMER: NONE OF THESE ARE HARD AND FAST RULES. Add any or question the validity of any of them if you think these aren't reliable mindgames you can count on.

NZA: If you hit someone close to an edge, they are likely to tech in place or away from the edge
teching towards the edge is risky because it puts players closer against the edge of the stage, and more likely to be knocked off stage. Secondly, if you land on the ground close to the edge and you techroll towards the stage, some of the stage eats the distance of your tech roll, meaning you aren't keeping nearly as safe.

GMaster: If you knock someone on a platform, they will tech in place or towards the middle

I find that people spot tech out of panic quite often. Throwing someone like Roy onto a platform, they will likely spot tech to get to neutral asap.

Gmaster: if an opponent is punished for a tech in place, and they have the chance to tech again, they will tech in a direction.

If you chase [a roy who just teched in place] and throw him onto a higher plat or knock him down again, he will be more conscious of the fact you are chasing him, and most likely tech in a direction for the extra invincibility
NZA: yup. most likely away from you

NZA: If you punish an opponents tech and he misses his next tech, he'll try either get up attack or plain get up
GMaster: get up attacks are likely at mid level play. Playing against Raziek (Snake) for example, you cant get up attack after his d-throw, he will shield every time.

NZA: If someone techs, they are unlikely to immediately attack.
They are most likely to shield. Basically, grab is a great response to tech.
GMaster: unless its against spacies. Then you just get shined

NZA: that would mean bat or smash attack is a good response to a tech from a spacie
GMaster: yea
GMaster: in Melee people often run beside spacies, then do a quick DD before grabbing, baiting the shine

NZA: If you dair a missed tech on a fast faller, they are likely to miss their next tech.

I've been playing around with the idea of dthrowing characters and doing a short hop delayed dair (or DJC dair) to force the missed tech. Because then you could jab -> instant DJC to another missed tech (if they are fast fally) to jab ->bat. Here is a similar clip (basically when you dair a missed tech on a fast faller at low percents, they’ll miss their next tech, setting yourself up for another jab reset.)

NZA: If someone is trapped in pkfire, they are most likely to roll backwards, or jump. If you see them roll backwards out of it once, that’s most likely their counter play of choice.
This means, you can run past the fire pillar, and just grab them/smash them out of their roll.

NZA: If someone is dthrown near the edge, they are likely to DI towards you (to prevent going too off stage).
Marth's use this knowledge a whole lot to net free tippered fsmash's at the edge (since most opponents will DI towrads the stage when fthrown off of it).

NZA: If Ness and opponent are near the edge with Ness being CLOSER to the edge, and Ness is descending on the opponent, the opponent will most likely try and shield through the aerial that is coming, and punish. Best response is to pkfire instead of doing an aerial.

NZA: When someone ledge rolls near you, they are likely to immediately shield. Punish with a grab. Basically, all rolls (tech, ledge, regular) usually leads to the opponent being MORE defensive. Grabbing is a good idea.

NZA: If someone tries to uair you and you dair them into a platform (without getting punished), they are likely to miss the tech

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yup these are all accurate guesses. and i think that's a key to keep in mind. even if these things are most likely, they are still gambles and guesses

one thing i always keep in mind that i learned from watching Silentspectre and Mango... always try to cover multiple options at once. sometimes, instead of going for a hard read and punish on a tech/getup attack/tech roll, i will position myself after knocking my opponent down and cover all 3 with pk fire.

as ness, one situation i find myself in a lot is above my opponent after i have done a rising full hop dair. if they somehow tech, they are in position to eat another aerial, but a lot of the time they will just try to hit me with a getup attack. in this situation i like to use your psi-stall to fast fall dair, or if they roll a certain direction, i can move that way and use a djc dair to punish the roll.

also there's mango's secret tech. this is all hearsay, but from what i gather, mango rolls his stick when he techs so that even he doesn't know which way he will tech. at high levels, people go for less hard reads and try to just react. most of the time they will position themselves for an inward tech, but sometimes not. so it REALLY becomes a gamble if you do the mango tech.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I'm curious if we could come up with better ways to cover more than one option on various things. Similar to you, I like magneting above someone when they are laying on the ground,, and punish whatever they do. If they get up attack or stand straight up, I insta dair them. If they roll, I turn myself towards them and DJC fair them. This becomes an especially good option if they are knocked on a platform since they can't go that far from you.

But usually, I have a hard time covering more than one option with Ness.

nessmaster1

Smash Cadet
When I watch Ness players a lot of them do a TON, I mean a LOT of unnecessary DJC in the game play. I think that it's crazy playing Ness and 70% of your moves are djc and they serve no purpose. When I say that I'm not saying the djc isn't a great tool for Ness. Like anything it needs to be used correctly and not as frequent imo. I main Ness and I don't djc 1000 times a match when I play. I can't really grasp this "technique" with Ness I find it SO unnecessary. So I guess why I am saying/asking is why??

The_NZA

Smash Lord
When I watch Ness players a lot of them do a TON, I mean a LOT of unnecessary DJC in the game play. I think that it's crazy playing Ness and 70% of your moves are djc and they serve no purpose. When I say that I'm not saying the djc isn't a great tool for Ness. Like anything it needs to be used correctly and not as frequent imo. I main Ness and I don't djc 1000 times a match when I play. I can't really grasp this "technique" with Ness I find it SO unnecessary. So I guess why I am saying/asking is why??
You might have to point to some vids but honestly, DJC is amazing. It mixes up your momentum and rhythm and allows you to do aerials quickly. Honestly, the only DJC aerial I feel like I and other Nesses spam is DJC bair. This is because DJC bair moves fast and is easier to space than ness's shffld bair. Additionally, DJC bair on the edge of a shield is safe against most people, and if they try to grab you can hit them with another DJC bair. That's why it is generally pretty good.

Personally, I have been experimenting with full hop DJC dairs. I like it because you spike an opponent and touch the ground approximately when they do, which means its easier ot respond to their tech/missed tech.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Yeah I don't see anything wrong with a lot of djc as long as you aren't misusing it and just throwing out poorly spaced djc fairs all the time and getting your jump eaten or something.

I could write a book on the benefits of Ness' djc game.

nessmaster1

Smash Cadet
You might have to point to some vids but honestly, DJC is amazing. It mixes up your momentum and rhythm and allows you to do aerials quickly. Honestly, the only DJC aerial I feel like I and other Nesses spam is DJC bair. This is because DJC bair moves fast and is easier to space than ness's shffld bair. Additionally, DJC bair on the edge of a shield is safe against most people, and if they try to grab you can hit them with another DJC bair. That's why it is generally pretty good.

Personally, I have been experimenting with full hop DJC dairs. I like it because you spike an opponent and touch the ground approximately when they do, which means its easier ot respond to their tech/missed tech.
I never said it wasn't amazing. I love it. I just don't use it every half a second to approach or attack. I have a link you a youtube vid. It starts about 4:30 into it. There is about 5-6 djc in 3 seconds. I just don't get why that was necessary. It looks like more work then it's worth.

http://youtu.be/YBYqz1_31Bg?t=4m38s

Bryonato

Green Hat
I don't see anything wrong with that lol. He was just exerting pressure. No reason to get frustrated over a difference in playstyle/someone being more technical

nessmaster1

Smash Cadet
I don't see anything wrong with that lol. He was just exerting pressure. No reason to get frustrated over a difference in playstyle/someone being more technical
I just don't get why that was necessary.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I agree that people like Calabrel dig just throwing hitboxes out there (much like fox nair planing) and that's not my style...personaly I think its much scarier to just jump around and only commit with an attack when you are certain it has the opportunity to result in something .But what he did wasn't strictly bad...just unnecessary. Then again, its things like that which make people love calabrel.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I have been playing a lot of cpus lately, and i think it really depends on matchup.

"Play styles" aside, I think matchups like peach or ganon require Ness to be very calculated in his approach. Big body characters require lots if initiation via pk fire. And then, i find there are some matchups that require us to be very aggressive with a nairplane-like style, such as link. I discovered that if you simply short hop nair toward link, you will sometimes go through projectiles, or simply hit him before he throws one out.

Link is a hard matchup but aggression helps a lot bc his frame data is comparatively slow

Top Bottom