• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The man who just wants to fight strong guys - Son Goku warps into the fray with Kamehameha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I contest the existence of this thread. If a character like Bat-Man would have his thread closed with these new rules Goku shouldn't stand a chance.
Rules aren't rules if they aren't applied equally. But, hey. "Goku is a special exception". Because they say so. Literally no other reason.

I'll happily use Forum Support when I'm supplied a link with it. I can't locate it, for some reason. There is a support forum for Project M, but that's a bit different. No general feedback or support subforum that I can find anywhere.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If people don't properly get back on-topic, which means not making bad suggestions like "Can I make this thread instead", spam warnings and infractions will be handed out. You have been warned.

https://smashboards.com/forums/forum-support.108/ A link to Forum Support. I apologize for not listing it first.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm sorry, but I really can't see why Goku could be playable in Smash. Not only would he be a licensing nightmare to deal with, but Smash is at it's very essence a celebration of video games itself, a theme which Sakurai has expressed time and time again. Also, no matter how you slice it, Goku is still a Manga character, who just happens to have a lot of licensed games because of how popular his Manga series is, it's no different from Batman and his successful video game lineup, or Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader from the many successful games they've been in developed by the late LucasArts.

I mean, all the power to your dreams, but it just won't happen because of everything holding him back.

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
When we say get back on-topic, we mean it.
"You can't make threads about non-video game characters."
"Well, except this one because I say so."

Vulgun

Smash Cadet
I'm going to say this right now. None of the aforementioned other characters, such as Batman, Spongebob or Shrek, have characters that are exclusively tied to their video games like Dragon Ball has. In the case of Dragon Ball, would you really want someone to simply make an Android 21 or Fu support thread, but have no Goku thread? It would be very ridiculous to do something like that.

Listen. As much as Goku is touted as originating from manga, you just simply cannot deny his presence as a video game icon, even if it's a simple honorary title to him. Goku is a character that deserves to be in Smash simply because there have been people out there, for the longest time, that have wanted him to be playable, and it would just bring two enormous fanbases together for the first time, as well as being a beneficial marketing decision, as Super Smash Bros. would inevitably get legions of players just from one single character alone.

Goku himself is a multi-media phenomenon, and still something that would fit within the context of Smash, a fighting game featuring gaming icons. Goku, as much as you would hate to agree, is an honorary gaming icon at least. He's famous regardless of what he's in, and there's people out there waiting for him to be included.

I'm sorry, but I really can't see why Goku could be playable in Smash. Not only would he be a licensing nightmare to deal with, but Smash is at it's very essence a celebration of video games itself, a theme which Sakurai has expressed time and time again. Also, no matter how you slice it, Goku is still a Manga character, who just happens to have a lot of licensed games because of how popular his Manga series is, it's no different from Batman and his successful video game lineup, or Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader from the many successful games they've been in developed by the late LucasArts.

I mean, all the power to your dreams, but it just won't happen because of everything holding him back.
The licensing would be less of a nightmare compared to Disney, Square Enix and Nomura for Sora's inclusion in Ultimate. Whereas you have to go through three different parties (one of which you can't go through without the permission of Nomura) for Sora, Goku only has two parties that Nintendo has to go through to be put in: Akira Toriyama/Bird Studio and possibly Shueisha. And in all honesty, with Bandai Namco being part of the development team, I would be certain that Goku would be easier to slide in than Sora, simply because Bandai Namco has secured licensing for the Dragon Ball video games, and could simply talk their way into allowing Goku to be included with barely a problem.

Secondly, Goku is a manga-originated character, yes, but he is definitely an honorary video game icon nonetheless. Heck, I could place a bet that there are people out there who have experienced the Dragon Ball games before the anime/manga and think he's a video game character, so it could even be a very subjective thing.

------------------------------

WIth all that being said, I'll probably go back fully on topic, talking about what he could have in his moveset, as well as what I think the development team could do with a character like him, as well as the theory that he will probably be the last non-DLC character revealed for Ultimate before the game's release, should he be in.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm going to say this right now. None of the aforementioned other characters, such as Batman, Spongebob or Shrek, have characters that are exclusively tied to their video games like Dragon Ball has. In the case of Dragon Ball, would you really want someone to simply make an Android 21 or Fu support thread, but have no Goku thread? It would be very ridiculous to do something like that.

Listen. As much as Goku is touted as originating from manga, you just simply cannot deny his presence as a video game icon, even if it's a simple honorary title to him.
Yes, I can. Quite easily.

Google "Iconic Video Game Characters" and tell me how many lists that pop up have him on it. The answer? Zero.

There are, however, dozens, if not hundreds, of ACTUAL iconic game characters who have yet to get in Smash.

Goku is a character that deserves to be in Smash simply because there have been people out there, for the longest time, that have wanted him to be playable, and it would just bring two enormous fanbases together for the first time, as well as being a beneficial marketing decision, as Super Smash Bros. would inevitably get legions of players just from one single character alone.
The same is true of Lara Croft, Master Chief, and Rayman. And they're all ACTUAL GAMING CHARACTERS.

There have been people out there for the longest time who have wanted SHREK. Your argument means nothing.

Goku himself is a multi-media phenomenon, and still something that would fit within the context of Smash, a fighting game featuring gaming icons. Goku, as much as you would hate to agree, is an honorary gaming icon at least. He's famous regardless of what he's in, and there's people out there waiting for him to be included.
Nope. Still not a gaming icon, and there are still plenty of actual gaming icons who should get in first. Just because you say it does not make it so.

The licensing would be less of a nightmare compared to Disney, Square Enix and Nomura for Sora's inclusion in Ultimate. Whereas you have to go through three different parties (one of which you can't go through without the permission of Nomura) for Sora, Goku only has two parties that Nintendo has to go through to be put in: Akira Toriyama/Bird Studio and possibly Shueisha. And in all honesty, with Bandai Namco being part of the development team, I would be certain that Goku would be easier to slide in than Sora, simply because Bandai Namco has secured licensing for the Dragon Ball video games, and could simply talk their way into allowing Goku to be included with barely a problem.
Being easy to license does not make him a good choice.

Secondly, Goku is a manga-originated character, yes, but he is definitely an honorary video game icon nonetheless.
Nope.

Also, since the moderators redirect everyone to the Private Feedback Forum, which they then ignore, I'm going to continue to make public posts here until they answer the question that they are steadfastly refusing to: What makes Goku unique and super special that he gets his own thread? You say he's unique, every time you close another thread down and harass the people posting in it. But you have offered zero evidence to support this claim.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I would definitely be one of those people to openly support Goku being in Smash Bros., but only as the sole multimedia-based character in Smash Ultimate's roster. No more, no less.
Sole multimedia-based character? I would consider Pokémon to be a multimedia franchise. It has more anime episodes and movies than Dragon Ball. Pokémon's over representation and how Sakurai keeps adding unexpected characters just makes Goku's chances better. James Bond almost got in Melee and was only cut because they couldn't get permission. Imagine if they did get permission? Bond would have blown this rule sky high. And to these replies popping up while I'm writing this comment, I think it would be a lot better if there was no fourth-party restrictions in the forum rules. Considering how Sakurai kept breaking fan rules and it's looking like he could put whatever he wants in Smash, I don't think Goku would be out of the question. This forum is full of threads for unlikely newcomers. And besides, the more you deny something, the more likely it would happen.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
If were being real here Superman is a more known character let's put him in instead?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Can we just focus on Goku? I really don't want this thread closed for people arguing about him not being a game character.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I have gotten much feedback from the community on the change of rules to allow non-originating game characters threads in speculation. While many of the people here see it as positive, the negative feedback has been overwhelming.

In light of the community response, we will be rescinding this change in the speculation forum rules and going back to the previous rule of thumb. I apologize to the people that were happy to see this change and apologize to the other users who saw this change as a negative mark on the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom