• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Majestic ShameHammer(Down-B)

Mr.Shameless

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrShameless
3DS FC
5301-0935-0975
Aighto, everyone keeps bashing the Shamehammer aka jet hammer special, when we as dedede mains should be finding ways to make it useful! Its not that bad of a move, i mean, it Most certainly Kills! I use the move all the time and it lands 7-10 times i swing.. Are there other jet hammer lovers out there? And help me come up with a few strategies that cover its weaknesses and highlight its strengths..
Heres some

-Oh, it'll land-
If its gonna land its gonna be because of these reasons.
Fear factor- fear messes with their playing and leads to lots of mistakes
Input error- pressure leads to stress and stress leads to input errors
Luck- cant denie it, sometimes you just get lucky
Reads- this is always leads to a great feeling when it lands
Punishments- they tied, and failed, shame them for their mistakes
Mix ups- people just dont expect you to pull out this move
Priority- moves get out prioritized around +-9% or maybe 6 either way, the move does 38% F-charged.
Baits- if u bait out a move ex. anyones Counter/Kirby rock trans. Airdodges ect.

-edge guarding-
Knocking them off the stage then waiting for them a few steps from the ledge (and by steps, i mean just outside of their get up attack) nets me in allot of kills,if they get up-punish, get up attack-punish,from there it becomes a prediction/reaction. If you know they tend to jump up, jump up n meet them in the air-punish. If they jump n air dodge, hold on to it and wait till they come out-punish. If the sit at the ledge.. Some characters u can hut just standing there. All characters can be hit if u jump and time the attack just before u land, the hit box lands on their hand or at least I've never had problems landing it on Lucina,Gannon ect. If u read it right u can jump off the stage and meet them on their way back to the stage, or walk off to meet them on the low recovery. Timing, Reading your opponent, and for lack of a better term Unexpectedness will be your tools for pulling this off.

-counters-
This move aught to never be countered.. If you get countered its cause you are being predictable.. Just hold the hammer a little longer and wait for the counter to end.

-The mind Games-
There isnt really any if your opponent remains aggressive, mainly because theres not much quick motions, and momentum changes obviously, but intimidation and mystery* (mystery because not very many outside of dedede users know the time of when it will kill or the charged to fully charged signals all they know is -dont get hit-) leads to fear. This is more of a beginner-average player ploy or if u recognize that they're are playing defensively The more avid players may not fall to this intimidation, but reading a defensive players movement or attack is highly rewarding.
Defensive player tactics
-walk up jump away, walk jump land the hammer as u fall, empty jump to a jet hammer if they have been shielding,

-Combos-
I wish there were some true combos...
Maybe a jab lock to a hammer.
Down throw to a jumping jet hammer is nice if they consistently air doge immediately from the throw.
Jab jab jethammer not a perfect combo but decent i suppose, doesnt outclass the jab jab grab

-Priority-
Again don't quote me on this, but im pretty sure i read on here that a move is completely eaten if it falls below 6-9% of the other moves damage. Dededes hammer is a disjointed hit box, (i think) with that in mind if you time it right, you cam cancel or eat your opponents move given that they used a jointed hit box character( chars. Who us their body when attacking, luigi, some mario, pikachu, cpn falcon ect.).. Given u have some decent timing, u can hit Mario out of his dash attack.

Lemme know what yeh think.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I totally agree! The jet hammer is by no means a useless move! I have even pulled it out in online tournaments to varying success! The only reason I would pull it out in a tournament, or where I know my opponent knows what they are doing, is when I have lost all my momentum, and I need some time to reset the field. If you pull out the jet hammer while your opponent isn't comboing you, they always take a step back to analyze the situation, giving you time to gather your wits, think about your opponent's playstyle, and reset the momentum. Another way to use the jet hammer, while I wouldn't do this in tournaments, is using it to start your second stock in 1v1 FG. It is great because the invincibility guarantees you will get to full charge, and the fear factor is never more apparent. If you hit with this, you are guaranteed to take away your opponent's first stock, or maybe win the game! With those rewards, the risk is well worth the reward! The last reason I would use it is when I want to go for that montage-worthy suicidal fully charged hammer off the ledge. I have only pulled it off once, and it was in a 2v2 FG. I wouldn't replace the jet hammer if I could!

Last edited:

GuardianZen

Smash Rookie
NNID
GuardianZen
3DS FC
2921-9103-1383
Dedede is a character that strives on psychologically breaking people, so you should be making your opponent frustrated/angry/stressed, etc. Having a telegraphed kill move just adds to the mind games.

I also love going for it when i'm a stock up. Having the lead as Dedede is bloody glorious, even if you just want to waste it by taunting your opponent with the crouch pose. Gets them frustrated, gets them to make more mistakes, gets them a jet hammer in the face.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I mean...all of this is true, but...

There's always a better option. It's only non-custom use is a little mindgames, and those only work if you barely ever use it.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Jet Hanmer is certainly not useless, and as much as I love it, it's only to be used as a mix-up, really. But that's okay, because that's when you get the most out of the Jet Hammer.

Say I throw a gordo with the neutral toss. It kinda lingers but it doesn't stay as close to you as a up-toss would. The opponent is mid-air, and chooses to back away from the gordo. Perfect.
Usually, I might run in after them with a dash attack, and hit that apparent sweet spot where the opponent can neither dodge nor shield when landing against a dash attack of Dedede's calibur, what with its long-lasting hitbox, and boom. Death! (if their percentage is high)
But say that I've been doing the dadh attack too much, and my Gordo is still fresh off the hammer so it should last a good while... long enough for me to (somewhat) safely whip out the Jet hammer. The opponent wastes an air dodge trying to escape my protective yet aggressive Gordo.
:smash: It's hammer time.
My jet hammer is swift and ruthless. Catch their after-air dodge lag with one swift blow. Their percentage goes from 0... to 15. Oh well, perhaps some other time I'll get a kill with it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom