• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Maybe :4megaman:? He do have a good zoning game with metal blades, crash bombs, and the occasional F-Smash and leaf blades, and his grab is actually decent, with a combo throw. He isn't fast, but he isn't slow either. I don't play with him, so i cant go into specifics, but he sounds like what you are looking for: A zoner with a grab game and isn't slow.
Mega Man: I don't like most of Mega Man's default specials, so he's a no go for me. I like his custom setup 1322 a lot though.
:4duckhunt: might work too, but hes isn't fast either, and like someone else said :4rob: should work, if you can get past the minimum 3 secs it takes to get a lazer(10 if you want super lazers), and that really there to supplement his gyros(his REAL focus).
Duck Hunt...that character needs some serious help. All three of his smash attacks are unreliable kill options and he has a mess of other problems. As I mentioned before, I do not like ROB's neutral special. Also never cared for his movement in general. He always felt somewhat clunky, which makes sense considering he's a robot.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
Duck Hunt...that character needs some serious help. All three of his smash attacks are unreliable kill options and he has a mess of other problems. As I mentioned before, I do not like ROB's neutral special. Also never cared for his movement in general. He always felt somewhat clunky, which makes sense considering he's a robot.
You sound like you want a flawless character, or a character where every single aspect about them immediately sticks out to you as fantastic. Standards like those are set too high and you won't find a suitable character that way. No matter what character you play, they're going to have flaws and moves you won't see use in or like, but that shouldn't deter you from playing the character if you like everything else about them.

For example, you said you love Olimar, but you don't like how his forward smash can be reflected. Sure, that's definitely a pretty crappy thing for Olimar players, but is it really so bad that you shouldn't play him? Try to find ways around it. Good Olimar players are able to get off the powerful attacks that they want to because they're able to condition and predict their opponent. When I play Mii Gunner, there's a lot of matchups where I'm practically forbidden from using my neutral B, one of my best damage dealing and KOing tools, most of the time because my opponent has a reflector. What I'll try to do is find opportunities where I can get off my neutral B, or see what else I can do. Maybe I can punish them for spamming their reflector with a smash attack. Maybe I can get off my neutral B during a combo or offstage, when they're not expecting it. Getting around the flaws of your character is part of the fun of even using them in the first place. You'll feel a real sense of accomplishment when a perceived huge flaw of your character doesn't affect your play because you've gained such a sense of control over it. I'm pretty proud that I can recover well with Dr. Mario!

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
W.A.C. W.A.C.

I've read your posts, and I feel that you are being a bit too picky with what you are looking for. You are most likely never going to find a character in any fighting game that fits you 100%. I play 3 different fighting games regularly: Smash 4, Rivals of Aether, and Skullgirls. Even though I love playing my main for every single game, there is an aspect of them that I personally do not like. With Ryu, my main in this game, I hate nearly all of his alternate colors because they either look bland or they hurt my eyes; however, I wanted to learn him so much that I chose to use his pink alt (the only one I cared for), and I eventually fell in love with him. What I'm trying to say is don't necessarily just try to look for the perfect character. Be willing to experiment with other characters that you have interest in even if they don't have everything that you are looking for.

Anyways, if you want a zoning character with a good reward off grabs, then your best options are either Olimar or Robin. I believe you already said that you like Olimar but you didn't like how he lost to reflectors. Even though he is vulnerable to them, he doesn't actually lose to them. If somebody is spamming a reflecting move, he has multiple ways to get around them including going for a grab. Robin would also fit what you want as even though he lacks speed, he has some of the best projectiles in the game, amazing shield pressure, and if he has the Levin Sword when he gets a grab at high percents he can guarantee a stock off of down throw. He is a really fun character that requires a lot of strategy and planning to play well, so if yiu enjoy that I'd definitely recommend trying him.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
You sound like you want a flawless character, or a character where every single aspect about them immediately sticks out to you as fantastic. Standards like those are set too high and you won't find a suitable character that way. No matter what character you play, they're going to have flaws and moves you won't see use in or like, but that shouldn't deter you from playing the character if you like everything else about them.
I want a fast character that's super campy with projectiles and very grab centic. How is that asking too much? I'm an extremely defensive player that sits in shield a ton and frequently goes for grabs all while camping a ton if my character allows me that luxury in that situation. If Villager had a fast grab, I would just solo main that character.

For example, you said you love Olimar, but you don't like how his forward smash can be reflected. Sure, that's definitely a pretty crappy thing for Olimar players, but is it really so bad that you shouldn't play him? Try to find ways around it. Good Olimar players are able to get off the powerful attacks that they want to because they're able to condition and predict their opponent. When I play Mii Gunner, there's a lot of matchups where I'm practically forbidden from using my neutral B, one of my best damage dealing and KOing tools, most of the time because my opponent has a reflector. What I'll try to do is find opportunities where I can get off my neutral B, or see what else I can do. Maybe I can punish them for spamming their reflector with a smash attack. Maybe I can get off my neutral B during a combo or offstage, when they're not expecting it. Getting around the flaws of your character is part of the fun of even using them in the first place. You'll feel a real sense of accomplishment when a perceived huge flaw of your character doesn't affect your play because you've gained such a sense of control over it. I'm pretty proud that I can recover well with Dr. Mario!
I have way more issues with Olimar than just that one problem, but that one flaw is so horrible that it's basically the deal breaker. For one thing, his walk speed, run speed, and air speed are all slow, with him being with the 5th slowest character in the air. I absolutely hate it when a character has really poor aerial mobility. Another thing is that I don't find his camp game as compelling as some of the other characters in the game, but this wouldn't really bother me much if it weren't for some of the flaws I mentioned. I would find him really frustrating to main for a wide variety of factors.

Anyways, if you want a zoning character with a good reward off grabs, then your best options are either Olimar or Robin. I believe you already said that you like Olimar but you didn't like how he lost to reflectors. Even though he is vulnerable to them, he doesn't actually lose to them. If somebody is spamming a reflecting move, he has multiple ways to get around them including going for a grab. Robin would also fit what you want as even though he lacks speed, he has some of the best projectiles in the game, amazing shield pressure, and if he has the Levin Sword when he gets a grab at high percents he can guarantee a stock off of down throw. He is a really fun character that requires a lot of strategy and planning to play well, so if yiu enjoy that I'd definitely recommend trying him.
I haven't really tried Robin for two reasons: I don't like the character's side special and I have zero attachment to Fire Emblem as a series or the aesthetics of the characters.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
W.A.C. W.A.C.

Sorry if my earlier post sounded a bit rude. If it did, I worded it poorly and I apologize. That wasn't my intention.

What I was trying to say is that there really isn't a character in this game that fits all of your criteria. There are a lot that fit two out of three, such as Cloud who is very defensive and fast but lacks a very powerful set of throws, or Lucas that is has great throws and good zoning capabilities but doesn't have amazing mobility, but none of the characters in this game fit all three. While there are some offense oriented characters that have good mobility and throws that can still be played defensively (such as Shiek), if you want a character that was designed specifically around defensive play then unfortunately you will have to choose between having either great throws or good mobility.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Then clearly I played the wrong game competitively, especially with customs dead and both Diddy Kong and Yosh over nerfed. -_-

bubbyq12

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Smash 4 for about a year now, and I have been in a constant struggle to find my main. I usually fluctuate between Shulk, Villager, and Palutena because they are all my favorite characters (the only video game I am devoted to is Smash Bros.). I usually like characters like Villager who are small and dainty looking but powerful, but sometimes I get bored of him. Shulk has such a unique playstyle and I think he is probably the coolest character in the game, but I can't really win with him. Palutena is probably the most interesting character in the game, and I love the fact that all of her moves are individually very unique, but I can't win with her either. I usually like characters that lean toward a defensive playstyle, as well as character with a projectile, who have gimmicky movesets (and by gimmicky I mean unique). Which character should I pick? Is there someone other then the three characters listed above that would fit the playstyle I like?

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing Smash 4 for about a year now, and I have been in a constant struggle to find my main. I usually fluctuate between Shulk, Villager, and Palutena because they are all my favorite characters (the only video game I am devoted to is Smash Bros.). I usually like characters like Villager who are small and dainty looking but powerful, but sometimes I get bored of him. Shulk has such a unique playstyle and I think he is probably the coolest character in the game, but I can't really win with him. Palutena is probably the most interesting character in the game, and I love the fact that all of her moves are individually very unique, but I can't win with her either. I usually like characters that lean toward a defensive playstyle, as well as character with a projectile, who have gimmicky movesets (and by gimmicky I mean unique). Which character should I pick? Is there someone other then the three characters listed above that would fit the playstyle I like?
If you love playing as Shulk and Palutena, you shouldn't give them up even if you don't win with them. They're both very difficult characters to both learn and play, and they're not going to bring you consistent results unless you know their ins and outs.

Assuming that you're somewhat new to competitive Smash (you said you played the game for about a year, though you not having a main yet makes me think you've only recently begun playing competitively. No offense, of course!), might I suggest you first start out playing Villager? I'll assume that because you didn't say you don't usually win with him/her, that you achieve better results with Villager. You could use Villager to hone your fundamentals as the game, as well as strengthen other skills such as when to go for grabs (Villager's grab animation is very long) and projectile play (learning to control projectile play will help you both use and fight projectiles). When you feel comfortable enough as Villager, you could dedicate time to other characters you have interest in and use the skills you've learned as Villager help you master those characters.

Of course, you could just go and play Shulk or Palutena as well! The most important thing to remember is to enjoy playing the game and focus on learning when you start out. Getting a grasp of your character's options in a given situation is vital to performing well, and getting a grasp of their options is backed up by strong fundamentals. All of this takes quite some time!

As for other characters you could play, I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I could see you enjoying a lot of the Smash 4 newcomers (Robin, Greninja, and Mega Man come to mind for me especially), as well as characters that can generate items, like Peach, R.O.B., Link, or Toon Link. Almost all of this game's newcomers have completely off-the-wall and unique playstyles, and the amount of things you can do with items and how interesting they can be might catch your eye.

Good luck!

Last edited:

bubbyq12

Smash Cadet
If you love playing as Shulk and Palutena, you shouldn't give them up even if you don't win with them. They're both very difficult characters to both learn and play, and they're not going to bring you consistent results unless you know their ins and outs.

Assuming that you're somewhat new to competitive Smash (you said you played the game for about a year, though you not having a main yet makes me think you've only recently begun playing competitively. No offense, of course!), might I suggest you first start out playing Villager? I'll assume that because you didn't say you don't usually win with him/her, that you achieve better results with Villager. You could use Villager to hone your fundamentals as the game, as well as strengthen other skills such as when to go for grabs (Villager's grab animation is very long) and projectile play (learning to control projectile play will help you both use and fight projectiles). When you feel comfortable enough as Villager, you could dedicate time to other characters you have interest in and use the skills you've learned as Villager help you master those characters.

Of course, you could just go and play Shulk or Palutena as well! The most important thing to remember is to enjoy playing the game and focus on learning when you start out. Getting a grasp of your character's options in a given situation is vital to performing well, and getting a grasp of their options is backed up by strong fundamentals. All of this takes quite some time!

As for other characters you could play, I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I could see you enjoying a lot of the Smash 4 newcomers (Robin, Greninja, and Mega Man come to mind for me especially), as well as characters that can generate items, like Peach, R.O.B., Link, or Toon Link. Almost all of this game's newcomers have completely off-the-wall and unique playstyles, and the amount of things you can do with items and how interesting they can be might catch your eye.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice! I've never thought about using Villager to hone my craft, and I think I will try it. Thanks! :)

Wolfheart77

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wolfheart77
I usually like characters that lean toward a defensive playstyle, as well as character with a projectile, who have gimmicky movesets (and by gimmicky I mean unique). Which character should I pick? Is there someone other then the three characters listed above that would fit the playstyle I like?
Try Lucario, if that's what you'd like. His early-game play is a bit aggressive but late-game makes him best at defensive play. His Aura Sphere has a decent priority, either clanking with or piercing quite a few projectiles when fully charged (and at max aura that fully charged Aura Sphere can only be reflected, shielded, dodged/countered, or pocketed/absorbed; clanking is near impossible except with MAYBE Samus's Charged Shot). His moveset itself is incredibly straightforward: 1 projectile, 1 command-grab that works as a semi-projectile, a recovery move that scales the more damage you've taken (with an ending hitbox to boot), and a slow counter that is one of the most powerful in the game at max aura. Nair hits both front and back, is short and comes out fairly fast. Bair hits behind him and is an extremely efficient kill move. Uair is a swift kick above him, auto-cancels with very little end lag, and works great on stages with low ceilings. Fair is a swift kick with fairly good coverage that combos into itself and uair both. Utilt combos into itself at low percentages. Dtilt is fast; Ftilt hits twice. Smashes are incredibly slow but are insanely powerful. And the rage mechanic present in the game (that increases a character's power between them taking 50 and 150% damage) stacks on Lucario's unique Aura mechanic (that increases Lucario's power between taking 50% and 190% damage) making for massive amounts of power in late-game play.

Now, a question about my own mains/secondary.
I have seven characters that I am comfortable with, those being (in order) Lucario, Robin, Roy, Marth, Shulk, Ike, and Sheik. (Don't ask how Sheik made the list; I'm terrible with her but like her for some reason.) Lucario and Robin are my mains, with Roy as my secondary, and I was wondering, does that cover my options pretty well or should I, after I get incredibly comfortable with all three of what I have, pick up Shulk to cover any other weaknesses?

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
I'm not even entirely sure what my playstyle is. I absolutely love King Dedede, but he has so many critical flaws that I feel helpless in some matchups, such as Sheik, Luigi and Zero Suit Samus. I'm still practicing with Cloud and I'm getting... okay-ish with him, and I'm hoping I can use him to deal with my tougher matchups. I also like Roy, although I'm bad with trying to combo him, and for as much as I adore Pit both as a fighter and as a character, I'm hopelessly bad with him. I think my core fundamentals need work because from what I've heard, Pit is a very fundamentals-based character.

Wolfheart77

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wolfheart77
Raven the Obsidian Raven the Obsidian , it seems to me fast-ish characters with fair range/approach options?
Playstyle is different with every character; overall playstyle is the combination of your favorite/best/most comfortable characters. My personal playstyle is a versatile playstyle with several options to confuse opponents or keep them on their toes. Robin and Shulk both have these options, as well as Lucario if you think about it: his moves may not have the versatility of the Monado or the tomes/Levin but the playstyle alters as time goes on and he racks up more damage. And all three of them have great recoveries.
So with yours, D3 and Pit has a projectile, Cloud has good spacing with his sword (as does D3 with his hammer), and Cloud, Roy, and Pit are all fairly fast. I'm not as familiar with the others (Roy shouldn't space at all and he's my secondary, so yeah.... I am melee range though with everyone but Robin). So good luck!

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Then clearly I played the wrong game competitively, especially with customs dead and both Diddy Kong and Yosh over nerfed. -_-
Wanted to reply although it's a bit late; Diddy and Yoshi are both very good and very much viable characters. Do you like them? Play them. If you think Diddy got over nerfed then maybe you are playing the wrong game.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Wanted to reply although it's a bit late; Diddy and Yoshi are both very good and very much viable characters. Do you like them? Play them. If you think Diddy got over nerfed then maybe you are playing the wrong game.
Diddy Kong was fine in 1.0.6 and none of the changes to him in 1.0.8 were necessary. The only reason some people still think he's potentially top ten still in the game is because of the changes to shield stun which benefited the character massively. As for your mentality that I should just play the characters anyways, there are a lot of characters in this game I like. But in terms of how much I enjoy a character, nothing really compares to pre-patch Diddy Kong and pre-patch Yoshi which makes me enjoy the game as a whole considerably less, which really sucks since I spent a lot a money on a Wii U primarily because of this game. Would've been nice having the opportunity of using pre-patch Yoshi on a controller that wasn't the 3DS. :|

When it comes Yoshi, I've dropped him three times now and would've never dropped him if they just left him alone in the original patch. I tend to rely a lot of dash attack combos and grabs with my play style for characters. In the first patch, Yoshi had a bunch of end lag added to his dash attack and a bunch of start up added to his neutral special, which made him a far more obnoxious character to try using in such a grab and combo oriented meta. Yoshi's grabs are terrible, but his neutral special made up for it until they added extra startup to the move making it laggier in this game than in Melee or Brawl. Then when customs were legal, I gave him another chance because a custom neutral special did not get the extra startup lag nerf. But I knew customs were going to die and I wanted to reduce my focus to two characters, so that caused me to drop Yoshi the second time. Then the shield stun patch comes out where shields are universally nerfed, which is a massive indirect buff to Yoshi because of his horrible grab game and great shield pressure options. But overtime it's become clear that I just can't make it work out. The nerfs combined with his horrendous grab game are not worth dealing with. Amazes me how with the 3DS version, Yoshi was finally finally in a Smash game, then they nerf his frame data to the point where about a third of his attacks are laggier than they were in the previous entry all while completely destroying the decent grab game he had in Brawl.

colantalas

Smash Rookie
Yo, I'm just starting in on Smash 4 and I'm starting to look in on more competitive play, I've been pretty casual on previous games but I'm looking to pick a main. Right now I'm going between Link, Cloud and Lucario. I like Link's ranged options and long range grab, plus that he can hit hard up close, so he's my leader right now, though he's a little slow so I also like toon link. I mained Lucario in Brawl and I like aura and the changes in 4 but he's a little slow and floaty and I'm not good enough yet to really take advantage of his style. Cloud is fun but his recovery options seem very limited to me. Any tips? Thanks.

Alpha8Bit

Smash Rookie
Okay so I really liked three characters in Project M, but I'm too worried about that game dying out at the moment and also still want to play Smash 4 either way. I can't find the right character in Smash 4 though. The PM characters I liked were Kirby, Lucario, and Sonic. Their horizontal mobility, quick aerials, and spikes (Sonic Fair, Lucario Side-B, and Kirby Dair) were all the most notable things I enjoyed. If I could describe a dream character it would include....

Wide, Linger-ish Nair (Like PM Lucario)
Good Horizontal Speed
Straight, Sorta Fast Bair (Like PM Sonic, Lucario, and Kirby)
Short Fair (Preferably Arc Shaped like PM Lucario and Sonic)
D-Tilt reminiscent of Smash 4 DK and Kirby
U-Tilt that leads to easy followups and arcs over you (Like Lucario, DK, and Kirby)

Help me and I'll um....tell you you're cool as hell. How could you not help with such a grand, once-in-a-lifetime chance of being called "Cool as hell" on the line?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Okay so I really liked three characters in Project M, but I'm too worried about that game dying out at the moment and also still want to play Smash 4 either way. I can't find the right character in Smash 4 though. The PM characters I liked were Kirby, Lucario, and Sonic. Their horizontal mobility, quick aerials, and spikes (Sonic Fair, Lucario Side-B, and Kirby Dair) were all the most notable things I enjoyed. If I could describe a dream character it would include....

Wide, Linger-ish Nair (Like PM Lucario)
Good Horizontal Speed
Straight, Sorta Fast Bair (Like PM Sonic, Lucario, and Kirby)
Short Fair (Preferably Arc Shaped like PM Lucario and Sonic)
D-Tilt reminiscent of Smash 4 DK and Kirby
U-Tilt that leads to easy followups and arcs over you (Like Lucario, DK, and Kirby)

Help me and I'll um....tell you you're cool as hell. How could you not help with such a grand, once-in-a-lifetime chance of being called "Cool as hell" on the line?
Sounds a lot like Zero Suit Samus to me. You might like her.

Alpha8Bit

Smash Rookie
Sounds a lot like Zero Suit Samus to me. You might like her.
ZSS feels great in movement, but I can't ever land any aerials. I don't know if I'm underestimating hitbox sizes or jump heights, but I commonly feel like a wiffed move should have hit. If no other suggestions show themselves, I'll try to stick to her. I wanna wait and see if there are any other recommendations though.

Oh, and you're cool as hell.

Electrix

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,
After following the competitive scene since Paragon 2015, I finally got Smash 4 at Christmas!

In Brawl, I mained Pit but enjoyed Mario, Lucas, Diddy, and MANY more. I've excluded most of them because I don't like how they flow in Smash 4, making them irrelevant in this explanation.

Right now, I play mostly Pit/DP, but sometimes Mario when I want to do well against some characters.
I've narrowed down my choices to Diddy Kong, Mario, Pit, and Kirby. They feel good to play, and I can succeed if I try hard enough with any, but I need to decide.

I haven't bought the DLC yet, so I haven't had a chance to try Lucas or Roy, who I mained for a while in PM. And from watching and playing against characters like Mewtwo, Ryu, and Cloud has told me I probably wouldn't enjoy them much.

What I like in a character:
-good recovery
-a projectile
-strong grab game
-fast grab
-decent top tier matchups
-kill options/setups
-multihit moves
-decent range/hitboxes
-simple to pick up (no Sheik, Olimar, Shulk)

What I don't like in a character:
-slow grab (cough cough ZSS)
-poor kill power (I can barely kill with Pit)
-slow aerials
-overreliance on a few moves/projectiles
-lots of zoning (I'm poor at pressuring)

Thank you for reading, and if you give reccomendations, thank you for going the extra mile.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
-good recovery
-a projectile
-strong grab game
-fast grab
-kill options/setups
-multihit moves
-decent range/hitboxes

-slow aerials

Thank you for reading, and if you give reccomendations, thank you for going the extra mile.
...Kind of sounds like you want a character that doesn't exist. The closest one to the character you described is :4mario:, to me.
From the list you provided, Mario checks:
  • Recovery (Average, snaps to the ledge from pretty far, though);
  • Projectile (Good for racking up damage, pressuring, and spacing);
  • Good grabs and good options out of grabs (Meh pummel, Back Throw is a kill throw at decent percents, Down Throw follows up to a lot of combos, Up Throw is good against heavier characters at lower percents and it is a kill throw if you have rage and your enemy is above 140%, Forward Throw is good for very quickly throwing someone off stage, and regaining stage control, but it's rather situational. Depending on your opponent, you might be able to follow it up with a Fair);
  • Fast grab (Both his Standing and Dash Grab are quite fast, but they have poor range)
  • One of the best matchup spreads a character could ask for (He's neutral with most people, he arguably has some negative matchup with a few of the sword users, though);
  • Quite a bunch of setups to rack up damage so you can KO someone with Mario's fast Smashes;
  • I've been a Mario main forever, and I don't think he has any multi-hit moves other than his Down Smash, but that's standard for 98% of them in this series in general;
  • Mario's physical range is... okay, he has stubby limbs, he gets outranged by taller characters (no big deal if you can get around it), and he has a hard time dealing with some of the floatier swordsmen IMO like :4marth:/:4lucina:. His projectile doesn't go that far;
  • And he's by far one of the easiest characters to pick up in the game.
Maybe you can try him out and see if you like him, then.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

What is the best way to avoid getting bored with my characters? I main:4mario::4sonic:for now, but I don't know what to do afterwards. I'm trying to pick one more character to have more diversity. I want that character to be fun to watch, rewarding, flashy, doesn't make you bored and creates hype. IMO, I find these characters to be:4wario2::4shulk::4megaman:. I know it's a bit early to say this, but do you feel that:4cloud:creates hype and is fun to watch? Can Cloud potentially help Mario and Sonic's bad MUs? So far for me, I have mixed feelings the more I know about this character.

Electrix

Smash Cadet
IMO, I find these characters to be:4wario2::4shulk::4megaman:. I know it's a bit early to say this, but do you feel that:4cloud:creates hype and is fun to watch? Can Cloud potentially help Mario and Sonic's bad MUs? So far for me, I have mixed feelings the more I know about this character.
I think all of those are fun to watch and can create hype, but I think having a good Shulk or Megaman would be most beneficial to a Mario/Sonic main. Cloud's matchups are too unstable right now to accurately judge him, but most people would agree he loses to Sheik, Pikachu, Fox, and ZSS, so he probably wouldn't help a ton as a counterpick.

If you're bored with your mains, just play random characters and see if you find any you really like. It helps freshen up the game, even if you're not winning.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I think all of those are fun to watch and can create hype, but I think having a good Shulk or Megaman would be most beneficial to a Mario/Sonic main. Cloud's matchups are too unstable right now to accurately judge him, but most people would agree he loses to Sheik, Pikachu, Fox, and ZSS, so he probably wouldn't help a ton as a counterpick.

If you're bored with your mains, just play random characters and see if you find any you really like. It helps freshen up the game, even if you're not winning.
But is Mega Man or Shulk one of those characters to where you have to dedicate only to this character in order to perform well with him? Shulk mains only tend to stick to Shulk and use nobody else, because of his high learning curve and requirements needed to perform succesfully in high levels of play. I think the same applies for Mega Man. So yeah, I'm kinda struggling between Shulk, Mega Man and Wario (and maybe Cloud)

I honestly don't find every character to be fun and create hype such as :4olimar::4ness::4jigglypuff::4gaw:. I really find them tedious, boring and obnoxious, but that's just me.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Cloud has the benefit of being pretty easy to get into, so there's that. Also personally I find Wario to not be hype, but it's personal preference.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Hi guys,

What is the best way to avoid getting bored with my characters? I main:4mario::4sonic:for now, but I don't know what to do afterwards. I'm trying to pick one more character to have more diversity. I want that character to be fun to watch, rewarding, flashy, doesn't make you bored and creates hype. IMO, I find these characters to be:4wario2::4shulk::4megaman:. I know it's a bit early to say this, but do you feel that:4cloud:creates hype and is fun to watch? Can Cloud potentially help Mario and Sonic's bad MUs? So far for me, I have mixed feelings the more I know about this character.
No.
Don't get me wrong, I love Cloud as a character, but Cloud's playstyle consists of spacing and not approaching his opponent, using Limit Break every chance he can get to get janky kills at 50%.
It's the exact same reason Wario isn't hype, he just camps with bike and aerials until he can get janky kills with Waft.
Most people don't find Wario hype, which means that Cloud is not hype.

Kulty

Smash Ace
No.
Don't get me wrong, I love Cloud as a character, but Cloud's playstyle consists of spacing and not approaching his opponent, using Limit Break every chance he can get to get janky kills at 50%.
It's the exact same reason Wario isn't hype, he just camps with bike and aerials until he can get janky kills with Waft.
Most people don't find Wario hype, which means that Cloud is not hype.
I kinda feel the same way with Cloud, and that's why I have mixed feelings with him. I love him, because of all his offensive options that he has, which makes him a threat. At the same time, I find him a bit boring, because he can just camp you all day when charging Limit Break. Plus, it's not the best thing to watch...

I can understand for Wario and I kinda feel that way too now that I realized it. I just prefer Wario in PM, because I love Wario Land more than I do with the Wario Ware series. Plus, since Abadango came up on top with Wario at EVO of last year, my hype for Wario died a bit quickly. That's just me, but I prefer PM Wario a lot more than Smash4 Wario.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I kinda feel the same way with Cloud, and that's why I have mixed feelings with him. I love him, because of all his offensive options that he has, which makes him a threat. At the same time, I find him a bit boring, because he can just camp you all day when charging Limit Break. Plus, it's not the best thing to watch...

I can understand for Wario and I kinda feel that way too now that I realized it. I just prefer Wario in PM, because I love Wario Land more than I do with the Wario Ware series. Plus, since Abadango came up on top with Wario at EVO of last year, my hype for Wario died a bit quickly. That's just me, but I prefer PM Wario a lot more than Smash4 Wario.
That's because PM does an amazing job with all of their characters.
I still like Sm4sh Wario too, I'm just saying; neither of these characters are hype to watch since they just clock for their janky kill move and use spacing/zoning. They play near-identically.
Frankly though, I think being fun to watch is a silly thing to worry about. If you play off of the crowd, it's nice to be hype because it makes you feel better and the spectators feel better, but it's really irrelevant otherwise. Play how you want to play. Also, no character is so complicated that you must stick to them and only them to be good. There's a Shulk in my scene that is just as good at his secondaries as his Shulk, and he's a really freaking good Shulk.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
That's because PM does an amazing job with all of their characters.
I still like Sm4sh Wario too, I'm just saying; neither of these characters are hype to watch since they just clock for their janky kill move and use spacing/zoning. They play near-identically.
Frankly though, I think being fun to watch is a silly thing to worry about. If you play off of the crowd, it's nice to be hype because it makes you feel better and the spectators feel better, but it's really irrelevant otherwise. Play how you want to play. Also, no character is so complicated that you must stick to them and only them to be good. There's a Shulk in my scene that is just as good at his secondaries as his Shulk, and he's a really freaking good Shulk.
Well... I just don't want a character to leave a boring type of impression to me. I just want a character that makes me have fun and creates my definition of hype. Shulk and Mega Man are characters that I like to watch, and because of those dedicated mains, I became interested in picking them up, because I find their character design to be really interesting. They give you a high learning curve, but rewards you for being capable at mastering them. I feel their reward is actually pretty satisfying to land. I love Shulk's amazing ability to adapt, and I love Mega Man's amazing spacing and projectile game. I normally don't like to watch zoning characters, because most of them are boring (plus zoning characters give me a really bad impression on the type of reward you get), but Mega Man, to me at least, is the only exception to this rule...

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Sounds like you should give them a try and see how things go. I mean, you do have 2 high tier characters under your belt to fall back on if things go sour. I say go for it.

What's everyone's beef with Duck Hunt's smashes? They're not too weak, not too slow, and have great range. The only one that's as bad as you say is Down Smash, because it's somewhat counterintuitive compared to the other 2.
Anyway, just posting here because I stopped receiving alerts. I'm still in this.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
People regularly fall out of them, especially when you have rage. They are far too unreliable to be considered good.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Sounds like you should give them a try and see how things go. I mean, you do have 2 high tier characters under your belt to fall back on if things go sour. I say go for it.
Yeah! I've been really enjoying:4shulk::4megaman::4marth::4falcon:(the two latters being my PM characters) much more than all the characters that I play outside of :4mario::4sonic:. Even if Shulk and Mega Man do have a high learning curve and are considered to be among the most technical characters in the game, I can bare it due to less complicated mechanics than Melee and PM. Plus, I love their reward type of play. I'm still gonna wait to make my final decision on who to secondary after:4corrin::4bayonetta:are released. However, gonna focus more on Mario and Sonic since they're my mains.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that sometimes, I can get bored by Sonic. Recently, I've been considering to maybe solo main Mario, but not sure...

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Hey guys,
After following the competitive scene since Paragon 2015, I finally got Smash 4 at Christmas!

In Brawl, I mained Pit but enjoyed Mario, Lucas, Diddy, and MANY more. I've excluded most of them because I don't like how they flow in Smash 4, making them irrelevant in this explanation.

Right now, I play mostly Pit/DP, but sometimes Mario when I want to do well against some characters.
I've narrowed down my choices to Diddy Kong, Mario, Pit, and Kirby. They feel good to play, and I can succeed if I try hard enough with any, but I need to decide.

I haven't bought the DLC yet, so I haven't had a chance to try Lucas or Roy, who I mained for a while in PM. And from watching and playing against characters like Mewtwo, Ryu, and Cloud has told me I probably wouldn't enjoy them much.

-good recovery
-a projectile
-strong grab game
-fast grab
-kill options/setups
-multihit moves
-decent range/hitboxes

-slow aerials

Ignore this, just something to help me out. Rules out characters that don't fit that spot.

Available:NONE

Soo....... None. Nobody is all that. Fox and Diddy Kong are your best choices though.

Rosalina

Last edited:

Ecchin

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟɴᴜᴛᴛ
NNID
Generic_Panic
Since the release of sm4sh i didnt picked a main character even i went to tournaments and ppl gives me tips for pick a char. Idk what to do, i dont feel good with anyone in the game. that kind of things makes me want to drop the game :/

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
If you're the indecisive type like me, I think the solution is just to arbitrarily pick a character or two and stick it out with them. Being good at any character takes time. Also if you play Chaos in Under Night, I do too lol. Maybe Rosa would scratch that pseudo-puppet character itch.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Since the release of sm4sh i didnt picked a main character even i went to tournaments and ppl gives me tips for pick a char. Idk what to do, i dont feel good with anyone in the game. that kind of things makes me want to drop the game :/
Pick everyone and see who you like.

I've heard Sheik in this game is most similar to melee and brawl Marth though

Nah, Sheik is more like Melee Captain Falcon with the speedy technical combos with an aerial finisher (Bouncing Fish or Vanish)
You played Lucas in PM, why not try him in 4? He's much underrated by the populace but very good in the right hands. However, you need to be on point with your chain grab technique.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
No I agree that Sheik is more like Melee Marth. Her fair demands respect and she has good mobility and spacing tools but requires persistence or a precise read to end stocks. She's also got 50/50s and is overtuned like Melee Marth lol

Well I guess I've been proven wrong. Well, whether you liked Melee Marth OR Melee Captain Falcon, if you like technical combos with a strong off-stage aerial finisher, Sheik's right within that niche.
But I do recommend Lucas in Smash 4 to anyone who played him in PM.

Now, I have a question. I really like :4duckhunt:, but a lot of people think the duo has flaws that I really don't see, like ineffective smashes, very late KOs and too much projectile focus. On playstyle only, I think I'll be swapping to :4corrinf: to counterpick, because it's clear she will be unpopular upon release and her unique playstyle deserves some representation. However, I kind of want to keep Duck Hunt arround just to prove that these "disadvantages" are really not too severe. Any advice on what to do?

Last edited:
Top Bottom