• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Avakrr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cluelessjoe
3DS FC
4511-0460-5313
So I've been playing a lot of Robin and I -love- his/her character (FE:A for best FE game) but I've been having a lot of problems due to the strict ranges for spacing (I whiff a lot of arcfires/smashes/everythings) and my lack of mechanical skill (I get a lot of Fsmash when I want dsmash, dash attack when I want ftilt, etc... though on a side note who puts a stick on something and doesn't give it any dang corners like a real people stick). I like the defensive/zoning playstyle of Robin but I'm looking for someone to beef up my mechanical skill on that might have some kinder matchups against popular characters (so tired of playing against Sonic/Little Mac/every rushdown character ever in For Glory).

Is there a character that has that kind of zoning playstyle that anyone could recommend? I know of some of the obvious ones (Ness, ROB...) but I'm looking for someone that's a bit easier to play so I don't get dumpstered so much. Also, I'm not opposed to learning a more aggressive character, but I do like some of the zoning options, especially when I'm trying to bring a game back from a stock down.
If you like Zoning Defensive/aggressive characters, try Samus, Falco, or link. They're very good at controlling the stage and are also excellent close up.

Last edited:

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Ok soo...
:marthmelee::roymelee::marth::roypm::4marth:: Used since 2001 baby, sure marths better and top tier in Melee, but idk Roy was always my fav over marth in FE dont like the way he is now but still has a special place for me. And ill always break him out when i need a clutch win
:falcomelee::falco::4falco:: Also used since 2011 I think his Aerials are some of the best still and hes a great balanced character with projectile capability moderate speed and pretty decent smash and tilt options
:4lucina:: Is Bae ill say no more.
:4pacman:: Just so fun to use and great for mix ups and throwing the opponent of their game.
:4robinm:: Another FE Fav move set is highly versatile and his aerials are so powerful when comboed wish his grab had a bit more range but i can deal with his slow speed.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Ok soo...
:marthmelee::roymelee::marth::roypm::4marth:: Used since 2001 baby, sure marths better and top tier in Melee, but idk Roy was always my fav over marth in FE dont like the way he is now but still has a special place for me. And ill always break him out when i need a clutch win
:falcomelee::falco::4falco:: Also used since 2011 I think his Aerials are some of the best still and hes a great balanced character with projectile capability moderate speed and pretty decent smash and tilt options
:4lucina:: Is Bae ill say no more.
:4pacman:: Just so fun to use and great for mix ups and throwing the opponent of their game.
:4robinm:: Another FE Fav move set is highly versatile and his aerials are so powerful when comboed wish his grab had a bit more range but i can deal with his slow speed.

MozillaFoxer

Smash Rookie
Hello smash boards, this is my first post at all on this page, and I wanted to ask a simple question: who should I main?

I used to have 3 mains: mewtwo, shulk and bowser (this last one being my "main main"), but I realized that these all have a few characters that can easily take them all out. Thus, I decided to increase the roster of characters by 2; I decided one of these would be pikachu, for his amazing combo-ing skills and good edgeguarding capacity (at least as far as I know), yet, I can't make up my mind about who should be the 5th.

I've generaly tried light-medium characters (bowser and shulk can already be bulky enough). So far, marth, fox, greninja and mario are pretty good, that said, I still haven't tried duck hunt or pac-man, and since this roster is so varied, I feel, in a way, overwelmed (spelling).

That's why I came here: this place being the general smash player hideout, I wanted to see people's opinions on what should I use and which is better. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

(This is my first post/thread ever, so if I made a mistake in format/forum location/subjesys/etc tell me and I'll correct them) Thanks again!

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Hello everyone. I made a thread already, but was redirected here. I'll try to sum up my thread here: I haven't played a smash game since melee, where I used to main Marth. However, after reading up on how he is in SSB4, I have realized that he isn't really good any longer. Therefore, I need help finding a new main. I have heard the same advice a couple times now, "Find someone you feel comfortable with, or like." Now, while that may help most, I don't know who I feel comfortable with or like anymore. So, should I just start with mario and go down the line playing FG until I find someone I want to main, or is there a easier way?

Thank you,
-untamed

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hello everyone. I made a thread already, but was redirected here. I'll try to sum up my thread here: I haven't played a smash game since melee, where I used to main Marth. However, after reading up on how he is in SSB4, I have realized that he isn't really good any longer. Therefore, I need help finding a new main. I have heard the same advice a couple times now, "Find someone you feel comfortable with, or like." Now, while that may help most, I don't know who I feel comfortable with or like anymore. So, should I just start with mario and go down the line playing FG until I find someone I want to main, or is there a easier way?

Thank you,
-untamed
Well, what was your play style WITH Marth. The first step is narrowing the spectrum to characters that naturally flow into that playstyle.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Aggressive.
If you wanna go for a fast rush down character, then... :4sheik: could be up to your speed but be warned she lacks some of the hard kill power. :4falcon:'s a standard with the same problem of weak recovery. :4wario2: if you want that air-dominating character.
Even :4ness: works pretty well in an aggressive way in this game because of his aerials being so devastating and having some of the best combos off his already good throws in the game.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
If you wanna go for a fast rush down character, then... :4sheik: could be up to your speed but be warned she lacks some of the hard kill power. :4falcon:'s a standard with the same problem of weak recovery. :4wario2: if you want that air-dominating character.
Even :4ness: works pretty well in an aggressive way in this game because of his aerials being so devastating and having some of the best combos off his already good throws in the game.
I heard Sheik's killer moves are hard to set up, and take precision. Cptn is an option, but I feel like there is to many people playing him and I want to be different I suppose. Wario and ness I might consider, I always liked ness, and wario got a lot better in SSB4, from what I've seen.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I used to be Yoshi in Brawl and I still like Yoshi in PM. However I must be the only person on Smash 4 who HATES his changes. At the same time, I can't find a character I can defeat even the average Little Mac as, not even Yoshi. I've been through the entire roster. Pac Man, Kirby, Robin, Donkey Kong, Mii Swordsman, Wario, Palutena and many more, but I'm just stumped.

I know this sounds dumb, but I REALLLY don't want to be a high tier character. I tried playing as Falcon and really felt horrid, like I hadn't earned my victory at all. Fast characters in general just don't agree with me anyway.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
I heard Sheik's killer moves are hard to set up, and take precision. Cptn is an option, but I feel like there is to many people playing him and I want to be different I suppose. Wario and ness I might consider, I always liked ness, and wario got a lot better in SSB4, from what I've seen.
Not to sound biased, but :4zss: is also an option. Her grab's slow, but she's a movement-based character with spacing options and simple yet effective combos(At least the grab combos). She's kinda like Pre-Smash 4 Marth without a sword, in a sense.

MJN Pilot

Smash Cadet
NNID
SSB-Pilot
3DS FC
4184-4408-1292
So, I've been playing Peach in tournaments, but I'm not 100% sure if I want to stick with her. So I have been considering switching it up.

I love Jigglypuff aesthetically, but we have an amazing Jigglypuff player in my parts and I honestly don't want to copy. Plus, I don't like how she dies so quickly (combined with how I know so many Little Mac players it's infuriating).

I really like being able to combo together strings, the one thing I excel at the most is converting an advantage into a crazy percent lead of even a stock. So I would want someone who has a great combo game, (and call it petty, but a spike move would be optimal, as I love that feeling when you can just end a combo by slamming them off stage).

But most importantly, they have to be cute. I don't like playing "cool" characters, like Ike or Falcon, because I would prefer to win with a style that's more me. That's why I played peach. The cute princess that strings together moves. But I really hate the float, which is sort of crippling for a Peach player.

Does anyone have any advice? I really want a main, but I'm just not sure!!! I was tossing around the ideas of Villager and Yoshi, but I am not sure. Thoughts?

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
@ MJN Pilot MJN Pilot

Overall, I think Diddy Kong sounds like the character you will like the most. I'm not sure if you would consider him to be a cute character, but he is very combo heavy and is able to fight in nearly every situation he is put in. The one thing that might be a turnoff for you though is his recovery. Diddy's has a very difficult time dealing with offstage pressure, and as a result, he is somewhat easy to gimp. Still, it might be worth trying out this character if you like him aesthetically.

Two other characters you might like could be Pikachu and Kirby. I don't really know how either of them play so they may not be the best recommendations.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi strings a lot of moves together especially if you throw eggs, but there's a learning curve to figuring out how to control his movement.

Last edited:

Khp

Smash Rookie
So when does a "lot" of characters become "too many"? I've been liking several characters so far, a couple of them I've been familiar with since previous games, but I can't decide which ones would best complement each other and how many characters I should try to learn. I like characters that are speedy and/or aerial-based, or that allow for lots of creativity because of their moves. (And one that doesn't fit any of those categories but I like anyway for some reason.) They are:
Familiar (Not willing to drop these)::4pikachu::4tlink:
Familiar, but starting to second-guess: :4lucario:
Liking, but not entirely familiar with: :4luigi::4duckhunt::4kirby:

Help/Suggestions please?
I use :4shulk:because he is really good if you can be "unpredictable", especially with his monado arts which can increase Speed, how high he jumps, the amount of knockback he takes, how much damage he does, and how much knockback he can cause. He is also mainly a person that you need to be patience with him as learning his moveset and to get good with it is not easy. He can also counter attacks using is down special "Vision" which has two counterattack animations with different reach and knockback. The first one is his normal animation which has more range but causes less knockback compare to the second animation. The second animation happens only on the ground and you have to tap the direction of where the attack is happening, like tapping left while the counter is happening right before the attack hits you can make the second animation happen more easily. But anyways, I recommend to continue with Toon Link and Duck Hunt.

Khp

Smash Rookie
I admit I'm kinda having trouble picking a main.

So, I've been playing Ness for as long as I remember. I love EarthBound to death. When I found out Ness was in SSB4, I was hyped so much. However, I just can't seem to do well with Ness. I constantly practice Ness, but it never pays off, especially on For Glory or against friends.

If anything else needs to be said, I kinda want a mix of speed and power. Hate to be so vague, but yeah.
I recommend Monado boy :4shulk: as he can be pretty lethal with his monado arts and his counter attacks. He also has pretty good reach and if you're a bit good with Mario, you can sorta do the same thing with his up-tilt attack. He also can be pretty hard to learn as you need to be patience with him to be really good learning how to be unpredictable with him.

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
I use :4shulk:because he is really good if you can be "unpredictable", especially with his monado arts which can increase Speed, how high he jumps, the amount of knockback he takes, how much damage he does, and how much knockback he can cause. He is also mainly a person that you need to be patience with him as learning his moveset and to get good with it is not easy. He can also counter attacks using is down special "Vision" which has two counterattack animations with different reach and knockback. The first one is his normal animation which has more range but causes less knockback compare to the second animation. The second animation happens only on the ground and you have to tap the direction of where the attack is happening, like tapping left while the counter is happening right before the attack hits you can make the second animation happen more easily. But anyways, I recommend to continue with Toon Link and Duck Hunt.
Yeah... I guess Shulk can be pretty cool, but he's a bit technical for me. I have enough of a load just trying to figure out everything else in the game, let alone the tons of complications Shulk brings to the table. Plus, I have no personal reason or connection to play Shulk. In fact, I believe I even have a slight dislike for him as a character. I dunno. To each his own, just not mine.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Yeah... I guess Shulk can be pretty cool, but he's a bit technical for me. I have enough of a load just trying to figure out everything else in the game, let alone the tons of complications Shulk brings to the table. Plus, I have no personal reason or connection to play Shulk. In fact, I believe I even have a slight dislike for him as a character. I dunno. To each his own, just not mine.
If you want to pick up another character, you might want to try Wario. I'm not sure if you'll like him or not, but from what I've heard, he is very good in the air and he is easier to get used to if you aren't familiar with him.

There are a few other characters that I believe fit your description more than Wario, but each of them has some sort of learning curve. Since that appears the biggest turnoff of Shulk for you, I don't think you'll like any of them.

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
If you want to pick up another character, you might want to try Wario. I'm not sure if you'll like him or not, but from what I've heard, he is very good in the air and he is easier to get used to if you aren't familiar with him.

There are a few other characters that I believe fit your description more than Wario, but each of them has some sort of learning curve. Since that appears the biggest turnoff of Shulk for you, I don't think you'll like any of them.
I don't mind a learning curve. A character without a little bit of a learning curve or something unique to them is, in my opinion, just outright boring. But you have to admit that Shulk is one of the hardest characters to learn, and without any real motivation to do so and a stronger liking for other characters, I just don't have a realistic reason to use him when I could be learning others that I know I will like. While I respect people who do devote their time and have learned to use Shulk effectively, I just happen to know that he wouldn't fit me well.
Wario is a lot of fun as well, I would likewise recommend him to others who enjoy their time in the air with a simple character in mind. I find his moves somewhat awkward at times though. I think it has to do with how they don't seem to feel very smooth, a bit like Mr. Game and Watch if that makes any sense. Anyway, I think for right now I know the characters I want to try to learn, but thank you for your input all the same.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So, I've been playing Peach in tournaments, but I'm not 100% sure if I want to stick with her. So I have been considering switching it up.

I love Jigglypuff aesthetically, but we have an amazing Jigglypuff player in my parts and I honestly don't want to copy. Plus, I don't like how she dies so quickly (combined with how I know so many Little Mac players it's infuriating).

I really like being able to combo together strings, the one thing I excel at the most is converting an advantage into a crazy percent lead of even a stock. So I would want someone who has a great combo game, (and call it petty, but a spike move would be optimal, as I love that feeling when you can just end a combo by slamming them off stage).

But most importantly, they have to be cute. I don't like playing "cool" characters, like Ike or Falcon, because I would prefer to win with a style that's more me. That's why I played peach. The cute princess that strings together moves. But I really hate the float, which is sort of crippling for a Peach player.

Does anyone have any advice? I really want a main, but I'm just not sure!!! I was tossing around the ideas of Villager and Yoshi, but I am not sure. Thoughts?
Dunno if you'd call him cute, (maybe if you're into adorkable teenage boys :bee:) but Pit is a pretty great character as far as combos go and he's lacking representation. Dthrow combos well into 100%, Dair combos into itself at lower %s (that's three in a row for 30% before the freshness bonus), and lots of other little things. Dair spikes with a sweetspot, doesn't have many bad matchups either.

I mean, I could go on and on about the character, but it wouldn't help much if you've already decided against a character like him.

MJN Pilot

Smash Cadet
NNID
SSB-Pilot
3DS FC
4184-4408-1292
Dunno if you'd call him cute, (maybe if you're into adorkable teenage boys :bee:) but Pit is a pretty great character as far as combos go and he's lacking representation. Dthrow combos well into 100%, Dair combos into itself at lower %s (that's three in a row for 30% before the freshness bonus), and lots of other little things. Dair spikes with a sweetspot, doesn't have many bad matchups either.

I mean, I could go on and on about the character, but it wouldn't help much if you've already decided against a character like him.
I'll give him a shot and play around with him a bit. I'm not 100% sure about his design, but there is no harm in trying him out a bit.

ZxFlashFreezexZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lordofgames7
Who is a good complimentary secondary to :4sonic:? I've been wanting to mix up my game and learn someone equally fast and annoying who has similarly great combo potential. I like :4samus: a lot for this (she is incredibly underrated and has great aerial strings), but not fast enough for me. I've been thinking :4falcon:, :4metaknight:, or :4shulk:. Maybe :4fox::4falco:?
I would highly recommend Captain Falcon. He's one of my secondaries, and with a lot of practice, he does not disappoint!

Good Luck,
THC| ZxFlashFreezexZ

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I used to be Yoshi in Brawl and I still like Yoshi in PM. However I must be the only person on Smash 4 who HATES his changes. At the same time, I can't find a character I can defeat even the average Little Mac as, not even Yoshi. I've been through the entire roster. Pac Man, Kirby, Robin, Donkey Kong, Mii Swordsman, Wario, Palutena and many more, but I'm just stumped.

I know this sounds dumb, but I REALLLY don't want to be a high tier character. I tried playing as Falcon and really felt horrid, like I hadn't earned my victory at all. Fast characters in general just don't agree with me anyway.
You're not the only former Yoshi main who isn't playing Yoshi in this game. I know that:

aMSa (Melee red :yoshimelee:) - :4greninja:
Tweek (Brawl yellow :yoshi2:) - :4bowserjr:

There are probably more former Yoshi mains who aren't using him in this game, but these two are the ones who came to mind first.

You'll find a main in this game, don't lose spirit. I felt the same way when I played Sheik (my former Brawl main) in this game, even though I acknowledge she's amazing (#1 imo in this game) I enjoyed playing her more in Brawl, there was something more satisfying for me in outplaying my opponent with her in that game than in this one.

I suggest looking at any characters former Yoshi mains are using to see if you like any of those, maybe one of the first two I put there will click for you.

Hello smash boards, this is my first post at all on this page, and I wanted to ask a simple question: who should I main?

I used to have 3 mains: mewtwo, shulk and bowser (this last one being my "main main"), but I realized that these all have a few characters that can easily take them all out. Thus, I decided to increase the roster of characters by 2; I decided one of these would be pikachu, for his amazing combo-ing skills and good edgeguarding capacity (at least as far as I know), yet, I can't make up my mind about who should be the 5th.

I've generaly tried light-medium characters (bowser and shulk can already be bulky enough). So far, marth, fox, greninja and mario are pretty good, that said, I still haven't tried duck hunt or pac-man, and since this roster is so varied, I feel, in a way, overwelmed (spelling).

That's why I came here: this place being the general smash player hideout, I wanted to see people's opinions on what should I use and which is better. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

(This is my first post/thread ever, so if I made a mistake in format/forum location/subjesys/etc tell me and I'll correct them) Thanks again!
There are lots of characters, but it seems like you've already answered your question in terms of the ones you like.

My suggestion is to look up some gameplay videos for all those characters. There are several videos of smashers using all of the above characters if you go to the character boards of each one, usually there's a video thread stickied (pinned) on the main page.

I can tell you that :4fox: is really solid, but he isn't the easiest of characters to use either: he's light, yet falls fast, and has a very linear travelling recovery, making him succeptible to gimps offstage and early KOs. That said, he has one of the fastest dashing speeds, his jump is very fast, and most of his attacks come out very fast, letting him chase opponents across the stage. His laser gun also means that he has a method of forcing approaches, which is what sets him apart from other fast characters like :4falcon: and :4sonic:.

Last edited:

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
I could use some advice on a secondary for Marth. I need someone to cover his less-than-ideal matchups, such as Luigi, Sheik, etc. Is there anyone in particular I should be trying out?

MJN Pilot

Smash Cadet
NNID
SSB-Pilot
3DS FC
4184-4408-1292
I could use some advice on a secondary for Marth. I need someone to cover his less-than-ideal matchups, such as Luigi, Sheik, etc. Is there anyone in particular I should be trying out?
What style do you like? Just for counter picks, try RosaLuma. She does very well against Shiek and I think Luigi.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
What style do you like? Just for counter picks, try RosaLuma. She does very well against Shiek and I think Luigi.
I've tried Rosalina and Luma before - don't quite care for them. I play a more "aggressive-defense" kind of game, I suppose. I generally try to eliminate as many of my opponent's options as I can, while commiting as little as possible. Could you think of any characters who lend themselves to such a play style?

MJN Pilot

Smash Cadet
NNID
SSB-Pilot
3DS FC
4184-4408-1292
I've tried Rosalina and Luma before - don't quite care for them. I play a more "aggressive-defense" kind of game, I suppose. I generally try to eliminate as many of my opponent's options as I can, while commiting as little as possible. Could you think of any characters who lend themselves to such a play style?
Honestly, if you're looking for a "zone control" character, I think Rosa still fits. She does that extremely well, since you sort of force people into bad spots thanks to luma. However, if there are others.

There are many ways to eliminate options. That's actually one of the things I like about Peach, she's also very good at that. If you're looking heavily into zoning style, Dedede also works (I don't know much, but a friend of mine plays him and has good success using zoning style).

However, the other side of the same coin is high pressure "in your face" style. Which works to make the opponent trip over themselves. Captain Falcon would really work like this. He's got the speed and power to keep up, and can be very powerful.

That said, I think Rosa really does suit you. Because you have the Luma to assist in locking them out, you can force them to have to deal with the Luma and the Rosalina at the same time, which sort of splits their focus. Also, she fits the aggresive part more than most people think. She got "famouse" for being campy, but a good aggresive Rosa will leave a scar that will never heal. I was 4 stocked at my first Sm4sh tourney by a Rosaluma that JV2's me twice. It felt like every option I picked was wrong.

Last edited:

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if you're looking for a "zone control" character, I think Rosa still fits. She does that extremely well, since you sort of force people into bad spots thanks to luma. However, if there are others.

There are many ways to eliminate options. That's actually one of the things I like about Peach, she's also very good at that. If you're looking heavily into zoning style, Dedede also works (I don't know much, but a friend of mine plays him and has good success using zoning style).

However, the other side of the same coin is high pressure "in your face" style. Which works to make the opponent trip over themselves. Captain Falcon would really work like this. He's got the speed and power to keep up, and can be very powerful.

That said, I think Rosa really does suit you. Because you have the Luma to assist in locking them out, you can force them to have to deal with the Luma and the Rosalina at the same time, which sort of splits their focus. Also, she fits the aggresive part more than most people think. She got "famouse" for being campy, but a good aggresive Rosa will leave a scar that will never heal. I was 4 stocked at my first Sm4sh tourney by a Rosaluma that JV2's me twice. It felt like every option I picked was wrong.
Well, it seems I'll just have to try her out again. Thanks for the advice.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Whats a good secondary to deal with Shiek? I'm trying to figure this out, I can't find the details on the Shiek boards as, of course, most characters are beaten by Shiek. Who at least has CLOSE to an even matchup?

My Main, Shulk, loses the matchup against higher level Shieks, so what character would help me?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Whats a good secondary to deal with Shiek? I'm trying to figure this out, I can't find the details on the Shiek boards as, of course, most characters are beaten by Shiek. Who at least has CLOSE to an even matchup?

My Main, Shulk, loses the matchup against higher level Shieks, so what character would help me?
Pick out someone that you like that can keep a control over the stage with projectiles. Keep. Her. Out.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus

I think Rosalina and Luma actually beats Sheik. If you put enough time into figuring her out, you should be able to cover that matchup fairly well.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I think Rosalina and Luma actually beats Sheik. If you put enough time into figuring her out, you should be able to cover that matchup fairly well.
Personally I feel that Fox counters her slightly just because his fox trot and perfect pivot distances slide just far enough to avoid her crazy, crazy good range. Range which is backed by attacks with very meaty priority. But also, Fox does better because he KOs Rosalina reliably earlier than Sheik.

And then again, you got Sheik to counter Fox, she definitely beats him

Hermitdude

Smash Cadet
Hi, I need some help picking a main for sm4sh. I like heavy guys like ganon, but really like mobility (air especially, don't like super floaty characters) and he just doesn't seem to have it. My playstyle is more on the defensive side, punishing when I can. I Will go in offensively every once in a while though. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hi, I need some help picking a main for sm4sh. I like heavy guys like ganon, but really like mobility (air especially, don't like super floaty characters) and he just doesn't seem to have it. My playstyle is more on the defensive side, punishing when I can. I Will go in offensively every once in a while though. Thanks :)
:4wario2:
I believe he's in the top 10 for heavy weight. Some of the best airspeed in the entire game while not being too floaty.

:4bowserjr: or :4dedede: may be other options for you to consider.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374

The purpose of the thread is to provide a central location for people looking for advice on which character to main.

Others users are also encouraged to weigh in and offer their advice. So ask away!

For more specific advice on a particular character, please go to the Character Discussion forum.

So many characters, who to main?

:231:
Hey guys, So I am having trouble picking a main. I like R.O.B a whole lot, but I am better with Duck Hunt and Rose and Luma. I am a melee player, so characters like falcon and sheik SHOUL be natural fits for me but they aren't, I just don't like the way they feel. So should I pick the character that is most fun or the character I do best with is my question? R.O.B = Fun, I can win often in For Glory. Duck Hunt/Rose = Not that fun, I can win most of the time in For Glory.

EDIT: Also, I forgot about Diddy, I have heard that he is one of the easiest characters to be good at, and Sm4sh is really more of a side thing for me. If I am devoting most of my time to melee still, is Diddy a good option. I have almost no experience with him.
Play a character that you have the most fun with. Improve your skills with that character. Make sure you feel comfortable playing the character you feel best suits your playstyle.

Bombaus

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! I am here obviously for advice on who to main in smash 4. I started out trying maining Zelda which was a complete disaster. I did not like how she felt at all. After that I tried Yoshi. My problem with Yoshi was that he was too aggressive for my likings. I've played with every character in the game and have not had fun with any of them. I have tried going on random and that didn't work so I am resorting to this. What I want in a character is someone who is NOT OP, overly aggressive, or a heavy zoning character. Some characters that I have enjoyed during my time on random are Villager, Kirby, Greninja, and Pac Man (I have not played with them a lot though. Maybe 2 matches each). I'm really good with Pikachu in melee but he just seems to different to me in Sm4sh because of the play style change. Also note that I am not a competitive player (atm) and haven't put a lot of time into Sm4ash. I Probably have a day or two played. One last thing: I absolutely hate any player with a sword so those characters are out of the question (also sonic and captain falcon). It would help me significantly if anyone had a few suggestions as to which characters they think I would enjoy playing. Thank you!: )

Top Bottom