• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Puff-Senpai

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sam699
See, I just main :4cloud: (Blue and I go Lazuli, Black and I go Berserker) but I also play :4peach: and :4lucina: as I like her character, similar to playing :4marth: They're so good to play as, I have a lot of fun with it, making choices of how to play as best I can, I really just go in and practice when I can. I'm kind of just having a good time but I do wanna attempt practicing and getting good.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
@above What?

It's about time I go solo Villager, because Lucas isn't my playstyle. I love the character, but he's losing me some important games because I can't play defensive with him. I'm still nasty at doubles, in my most recent outing I was 8-4 across multiple partners. In singles? 1-6. My only win was Villager over Link. (this is games not sets) Other characters I chose were Lucas, Ike, Greninja, and Donkey Kong.
What are Villager's bad matchups, so that I can pick my secondary? I've got a massive list of pockets to pick from, so all I need is matchup knowledge.
Characters I will not play are my previously listed top 10, you can find it on Page 66

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
DJBor DJBor I feel like the biggest issues for Villager are :4cloud:, :rosalina:, and funnily enough :4palutena:. Sometimes :4corrin: as well, but not quite as much as the others. Of course, don't get me wrong, I do feel Villager can actually meet his/her greatest challenges pretty well, but those are the ones I'd say can be a pain.

Characters who, at least in my opinion, do pretty well against those four without being among your top ten are :4metaknight:, :4darkpit:, :4marth:, and :4lucina: (Lucina's forward smash set-ups/traps in particular can work wonders with patience). I haven't had enough experience with :4myfriends: to say either way as a friend of mine mains him (generally try to avoid stepping on anyone's toes), but I feel like swords in general do pretty well against Cloud in particular. He certainly has some edge-guarding goodness, but as to how hard it'd be to get those characters off of the stage using Ike, really have no idea.

Hope this helps, anyway.

I've been working on :4darkpit: myself lately to see if I'd like him to be my backup plan. Also been having fun with Sheik again, but I'm not fond of the character, and like you, I honestly don't want to play someone who's all the way at the top, even if I do well with them... Personal conflict is the roughest when deciding.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
@above What?

It's about time I go solo Villager, because Lucas isn't my playstyle. I love the character, but he's losing me some important games because I can't play defensive with him. I'm still nasty at doubles, in my most recent outing I was 8-4 across multiple partners. In singles? 1-6. My only win was Villager over Link. (this is games not sets) Other characters I chose were Lucas, Ike, Greninja, and Donkey Kong.
What are Villager's bad matchups, so that I can pick my secondary? I've got a massive list of pockets to pick from, so all I need is matchup knowledge.
Characters I will not play are my previously listed top 10, you can find it on Page 66
Villager can in theory take on anyone, similar to lots of other high and top tiers but for sure the worst matchups are gonna be :rosalina::4sheik::4cloud: and others in not sure about. If you're good at edge guarding then don't worry about cloud, but rosa and sheik will for sure give you trouble so I'd suggest going with :4metaknight::4pikachu:. Other great options are :4marth::4feroy::4zss:.

Also the Puff-Senpai Puff-Senpai did you have a question or what?

For me my biggest fear is :4ness:. He beats pika 60:40 and goes even with Roy. That's scary. Because all it takes if for the ness to not struggle against Roy and I loose. Other fears are :4corrin::4greninja::4mario::4gaw::4peach::4tlink::4villager: As they go even or beat my duo. So a third is very much wanted. :4yoshi::4tlink::4marth::4megaman::4lucario::4sheik:. How coukf each of them benefit my :4pikachu::4feroy:? I appreciate the help.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Villager can in theory take on anyone, similar to lots of other high and top tiers but for sure the worst matchups are gonna be :rosalina::4sheik::4cloud: and others in not sure about. If you're good at edge guarding then don't worry about cloud, but rosa and sheik will for sure give you trouble so I'd suggest going with :4metaknight::4pikachu:. Other great options are :4marth::4feroy::4zss:.

Also the Puff-Senpai Puff-Senpai did you have a question or what?

For me my biggest fear is :4ness:. He beats pika 60:40 and goes even with Roy. That's scary. Because all it takes if for the ness to not struggle against Roy and I loose. Other fears are :4corrin::4greninja::4mario::4gaw::4peach::4tlink::4villager: As they go even or beat my duo. So a third is very much wanted. :4yoshi::4tlink::4marth::4megaman::4lucario::4sheik:. How coukf each of them benefit my :4pikachu::4feroy:? I appreciate the help.
:4ness: HATES disjoints. Seriously, the corrin/cloud vs ness matchups are legit 70:30 because of them (and other things like clouds mobility, and corrin's instapin, etc). So, looking at that (and the other characters that scare you), :4marth: or :4sheik: would probs be your best bet. Sheik beats all of the characters you listed, and marth beats/goes even with all except :4villager: and :4tlink:.

I'd help tell you about :4yoshi::4megaman:and :4lucario:, but I don't know anything about 'em.

EDIT: :4tlink: beats :4peach::4gaw:, slightly beats/goes even with :4lucario::4greninja::4marth:, very slightly loses to (imo) :4corrinf:, and loses to :4yoshi::4sheik::4villager: and :4mario:. Finally, :4tlink: completely destroys :4tlink:'s viability, easily winning 80:20

Last edited:

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Hello, I'm new to Smashboards and I need advice on picking a main. With such a large amount of characters to chose from it is hard to pick but the kind of characters that I would like to play should probably have at least a few of these characteristics. I do't want to sound picky or anything its just that I feel like these characteristics fit into my play style.

1. Versatility in their move set.(As in not have to rely on a certain move)
2. OK attack and movement speed, air speed, etc.
3. Good kill power. Not having to work hard for those kills. Having consistent kills and kill power.
4. Has a lot of good match-ups or at least having more good match-ups than bad.
5. Not so much lag on their moves. (I can't stand doing an attack and waiting so long to do another)
6. Good recovery
7. More offensive than defensive(I play more aggressively than defensively)
8. I know #7 said the character should be more aggressive than defensive but a character that can at least play both would be nice.

Last edited:

Puff-Senpai

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sam699
Hello, I'm new to Smashboards and I need advice on picking a main. With such a large amount of characters to chose from it is hard to pick but the kind of characters that I would like to play should probably have at least a few of these characteristics. I do't want to sound picky or anything its just that I feel like these characteristics fit into my play style.

3. Good kill power. Not having to work hard for those kills. Having consistent kills and kill power.
5. Not so much lag on their moves. (I can't stand doing an attack and waiting so long to do another)
6. Good recovery
8. I know #7 said the character should be more aggressive than defensive but a character that can at least play both would be nice.
My problem reading this is seeing "not having to work hard for those kills" because if you don't want to put in the effort to get a kill than why really play? I think, to start off, a good place to go is Cloud, or Mario.

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Well the thing is that I'm willing to work hard for those kills. The things I capitalize on are:

1. Versatility in their move set.
2. Good kill power.(More like decent)
3. Not so much lag on their moves.
4. Good recovery(More like OK recovery)
5. More offensive than defensive

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14

6. Good recovery
I'd say try out :4corrin::4diddy::4mario::4zss::4rob:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Kamdy Kamdy I'm no expert on this particular character but I think :4pit: and :4darkpit: would fit your expectations? They should have moveset versatility, good recovery. I definitely remember them not being too laggy when I played Pit, they should have good kill power and from what I've heard you can play them on a offensive and defensive play style.

They're my best guess for now at least.

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Kamdy Kamdy I'm no expert on this particular character but I think :4pit: and :4darkpit: would fit your expectations? They should have moveset versatility, good recovery. I definitely remember them not being too laggy when I played Pit, they should have good kill power and from what I've heard you can play them on a offensive and defensive play style.

They're my best guess for now at least.
And thank you

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
6. Good recovery
A different perspective. My opinion is :4zss::4tlink::4metaknight::4lucas::4rob: fit the best, also :4marth: if you are up to the challenge
Concept number 1 is making me go against the previously mentioned :4corrin::4diddy::4mario: (corrin's lunge, diddy's down tilt & banana, mario's cape & grab)
I think :4pit: is mostly defensive and has low KO power, but that's only one opinion, I may be wrong

Last edited:

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
A different perspective. My opinion is :4zss::4tlink::4metaknight::4lucas::4rob: fit the best, also :4marth: if you are up to the challenge
Concept number 1 is making me go against the previously mentioned :4corrin::4diddy::4mario: (corrin's lunge, diddy's down tilt & banana, mario's cape & grab)
I think :4pit: is mostly defensive and has low KO power, but that's only one opinion, I may be wrong
Thank you

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
What characters that aren't Cloud cover Mewtwo's bad MUs and the ditto well?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
So I'm having the most luck with :4marth::4tlink:and :4yoshi: as my 3rd. (For :4feroy:&:4pikachu:). Can someone tell me how each one would benefit me as my secondary? It'd be greatly appreciated.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Here we go again...
:4marth: from Roy's perspective is just a slower, long-range Roy with stronger neutral and safer moves
:4tlink: I thought you already went with him? Don't think you need to be told anything here.
:4yoshi: Well this is new. Yoshi covers Pikachu's worst matchups (Mario, Ness, Game & Watch, Sonic?) very well. Try him out, get used to the airspeed. Maybe you've finally reached your completed roster.

Nice to see you again LRodC. Though I have dropped Mewtwo since the patch, the only thing I still use him for is the ditto.
I don't know how the matchup chart has changed, who are you having trouble with?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Here we go again...
:4marth: from Roy's perspective is just a slower, long-range Roy with stronger neutral and safer moves
:4tlink: I thought you already went with him? Don't think you need to be told anything here.
:4yoshi: Well this is new. Yoshi covers Pikachu's worst matchups (Mario, Ness, Game & Watch, Sonic?) very well. Try him out, get used to the airspeed. Maybe you've finally reached your completed roster.

Nice to see you again LRodC. Though I have dropped Mewtwo since the patch, the only thing I still use him for is the ditto.
I don't know how the matchup chart has changed, who are you having trouble with?
Thanks. Sorry for the repetitive stuff. I had :4tlink: but had a moment of desperate change, but after a bit I think I could take him back, if he's best. Who out of the three would you recommend the least?

There may be something wrong with me but I do so much better with low tiers....
I recently picked up :4zelda: as my secondary and :4mario: as my trimary. The one thing that I've noticed is that I cannot beat characters like :4corrinf: and :4greninja: as I can't seem to approach due to them being able to space me out with their projectiles. Any tips or should I replace :4mario: with a different character? Also considered having :4jigglypuff: or :4littlemac: as a surprise pocket

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345

6. Good recovery
For those of you have have seen my previous posts, and for those of you who haven't you can go check them out, how well would :4ness: and :4mewtwo: be?

Edit: What about :4bowser: I see a lot of people main him and he seems fun

Last edited:

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
@Begging Bard :4mario: is top tier as heck.
Kamdy Kamdy :4ness: has very defined copy-paste combos compared to :4lucas:, and trades a good recovery for even higher KO power.
:4bowser: is a great choice, loaded with super armor and high-powered moves.
:4mewtwo: is... Totally broken Also right on target.

Last edited:
Kamdy Kamdy Bowser is great. Although he messes up on 4 and 6 due to him being a heavyweight and Smash does not like heavyweights and his recovery is very mediocore but it can be good if you know how to use it. Also he plays an "agrofensive" style.

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
@Begging Bard :4mario: is top tier as heck.
Kamdy Kamdy :4ness: has very defined copy-paste combos compared to :4lucas:, and trades a good recovery for even higher KO power.
:4bowser: is a great choice, loaded with super armor and high-powered moves.
:4mewtwo: is... Totally broken Also right on target.
OK thanks I will try them out.

Last edited:

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Try to learn the Corrin and Greninja matchups. Idk about Greninja but keep pressuring Corrin. Don't let him zone you out.

:4mewtwo::4ness: I think is great. Watch out for Corrin and Ryu though
Who is better/more viable. :4mewtwo: is powerful but gets KO'ed early. :4ness: may be less powerful but can probably survive longer at a cost of probably being not be as good, as in may have to much counters. (I'm not too sure. I don't even know what I'm talking about :/)

Edit: Or at least fits the description better
Edit 2: What about :4pikachu:

Edit 3: What about :4myfriends: :4kirby: :4falco: :4lucario: :4villager: :4wiifit:/:4wiifitm: :4shulk: :4ryu:

Last edited:
Kamdy how about you give us a list of who you would like to main? It may help us or Nice can walk you through his process. Just a couple of ideas to help you out

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Still going on your expectations Kamdy Kamdy ? Because let's see the candidates based on those

Well the thing is that I'm willing to work hard for those kills. The things I capitalize on are:

1. Versatility in their move set.
2. Good kill power.(More like decent)
3. Not so much lag on their moves.
4. Good recovery(More like OK recovery)
5. More offensive than defensive
:4myfriends: wouldn't really fit any of those. He has good kill power. He might have moveset versatility, but he's laggy, has a meh recovery (imo) and his slow mobility would prevent offensive play (imo again). The ones I've seen play more defensively with him and rely on reads.
I would recommend :4shulk: to you for:
  • 1 for Monado Arts I guess.
  • 2 for Smash Monado. Buster for racking up damage.
  • 4 for Jump Monado. Though I'm not sure about that for a gimped case scenario in activating it in time.
  • 5 for Speed Monado. This is personal experience, but I've seen good players use his Speed Monado to help his mobility and pressure with nairs.
But he has too much lag. I believe he has a Monado Art Landing Lag Cancel technique that would fix this problem (except his smash end lags) but it's up to you if you want to learn that.

I'd say :4ryu: has good kill power, versatility, no lag and you can play him more offensively than defensively. I'm not sure if you can play him defensively; maybe for punish and baits? His recovery is also pretty meh and hard to play as (not that I think it would matter but it's there).

I'm not an expert on :4pikachu:, but he'd probably be good for you in terms of kill power, good frame data, recovery and offensive play.

My suggestions may be wrong, but they'll all I have for you. I can't really speak for the others either since I don't know them enough.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
A list of characters would be:

:4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4darkpit:/:4pit::4lucario::4megaman::4ness::4olimar::4pikachu::4rob::4feroy::4shulk::4tlink::4mewtwo::4metaknight::4myfriends:
:4bowser:aggresive mostly, can be defensive for a little bit, beat up or get beat up
:4bowserjr: Mecha koopa combos make him tag team a bit like Rosa but more offensive.
:4charizard:a grappler with great down through follow ups, but combo
:4darkpit::4pit: can play any playstyle though they are more grapplee than anything. Can do anything good but not great
:4lucario:If you can live to see it, Rageicario is super deadly at 20%, but thats if you live to see it. Mix up and play safe.
:4megaman:Pelet zoning game is amazing and can go aggresive with the metal blade combos, but he's really hard to use.
:4ness:Grappler. Copy paste combos and crazy kill power but if you're not good at recovering you loose too every character... except:4littlemac:...R.I.P.
:4olimar:If you've got a good eye for keeping track of which pikmin are next up, you'll be hard to track for your opponent, but keeping track is really hard.
:4pikachu:Hit and run master. You shoot in, combo a lot, shoot out, make them approach or leave an opening, shoot in. Rinse and repeat. Also edge guarding is nice.
:4rob:Gyro combos. But you're also combo food. also get used to hearing beep boop.
:4feroy:Does not play defensive. Play defensive and you loose. You can't be scared. You get in their face and dominate them. Be relentless.
:4shulk:"Monando" is a jack of all trades thing and if you can handle really bad frame data your mix ups can give you the match.
:4tlink:Aggresively defensive. Projectile frenzie to the face and bomb combos make him very hard to beat, but don't rely on getting grabs much.
:4mewtwo:If you can handle tricky set ups and small characters you'll win every mu. He's so good.
:4metaknight:Similar to roy but safer and can pace and be defensive.
:4myfriends:Grappler who hates projectiles but hits you in the face really hard.
Since you were already able to point out Ness and Mewtwo above the others, I say go Mewtwo. He can play both playstyles and win any matchup. Just make sure you kill first.

Last edited:

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
:4bowser:aggresive mostly, can be defensive for a little bit, beat up or get beat up
:4bowserjr: Mecha koopa combos make him tag team a bit like Rosa but more offensive.
:4darkpit::4pit: can play any playstyle though they are more grapplee than anything. Can do anything good but not great
:4lucario:If you can live to see it, Rageicario is super deadly at 20%, but thats if you live to see it. Mix up and play safe.
:4megaman:Pelet zoning game is amazing and can go aggresive with the metal blade combos, but he's really hard to use.
:4ness:Grappler. Copy paste combos and crazy kill power but if you're not good at recovering you loose too every character... except:4littlemac:...R.I.P.
:4olimar:If you've got a good eye for keeping track of which pikmin are next up, you'll be hard to track for your opponent, but keeping track is really hard.
:4pikachu:Hit and run master. You shoot in, combo a lot, shoot out, make them approach or leave an opening, shoot in. Rinse and repeat. Also edge guarding is nice.
:4rob:Gyro combos. But you're also combo food. also get used to hearing beep boop.
:4feroy:Does not play defensive. Play defensive and you loose. You can't be scared. You get in their face and dominate them. Be relentless.
:4shulk:"Monando" is a jack of all trades thing and if you can handle really bad frame data your mix ups can give you the match.
:4tlink:Aggresively defensive. Projectile frenzie to the face and bomb combos make him very hard to beat, but don't rely on getting grabs much.
:4mewtwo:If you can handle tricky set ups and small characters you'll win every mu. He's so good.
:4myfriends:Grappler who hates projectiles but hits you in the face really hard.
Since you were already able to point out Ness and Mewtwo above the others, I say go Mewtwo. He can play both playstyles and win any matchup. Just make sure you kill first.
Thank you for all this. :D This will make my decision a lot easier.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
I feel like :4feroy: is Meta Knight crossed with Little Mac with the moveset of Marth. If you get what I'm saying.
Instead of making a thanks post, like the post. That equals a thanks.
My villager secondary is still undecided, so if you feel like swaying me in a direction please do so. I must warn you it probably won't work

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I feel like :4feroy: is Meta Knight crossed with Little Mac with the moveset of Marth. If you get what I'm saying.
Instead of making a thanks post, like the post. That equals a thanks.
My villager secondary is still undecided, so if you feel like swaying me in a direction please do so. I must warn you it probably won't work
:4metaknight:. Goodbye :rosalina:. Or I guess :4corrin::4cloud::4diddy::4marth:.
I kinda agree with you on what :4feroy: is like. Except the littke Mac thing. I do think he's got the style of :4metaknight:, move set of :4marth:, and is to :4marth: like :4tlink: is too :4link:. Faster and more combo strings but less power, yet still kills just as good.

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
:4bowser: Great character but seems a bit to slow for my liking and has to play very defensive in the beginning and is based on hard reads.
:4bowserjr: Another great character but it also seems like you have to play defensive in the beginning and wait for an opening.
:4charizard: I wouldn't say he is one of my better characters but he is still fun and for this I will keep him on the list.
:4pit:/:4darkpit: One of the better characters I tried. They are still on the list of who I should main.
:4lucario: Another one of the better characters I've tried and is very fun. He is still on the list.
:4megaman: Megaman is fun. He just seems like has to play very defensive in the beginning and should wait for an opening.
:4ness: Ness Is also very fun and one of the better characters I've used. He is still on the the list of who I should main.
:4olimar: Olimar is fun but seems more like a zoner and should stay far away. He can be aggressive but just seems more on the defensive side.
:4pikachu: Pikachu is one of the better characters, Not much I can say about him though. But I will sill keep him on the list.
:4rob: I don't know what to say about R.O.B. It seems like he has to play defensively but when he has the gyro he can go on the offensive. I will still keep him on the list.
:4feroy: Very fun to use but he just can't play defensively and I have to constantly be going in. Which at times I may want to go on the defensive at times.
:4shulk: Very fun and can be very versatile because of his different arts. I will keep him on the list.
:4tlink: Like you said. Aggressively defensive. He is meant to stay far away to deal damage with projectiles which isn't really my playstyle.
:4mewtwo: One of my better characters. He is very fun and versatile and I will keep him on the list.
:4metaknight: Also another one of my better characters. He takes some getting used to but I will still keep him on the list.
:4myfriends: Hes also fun. I wouldn't say he is one of my better characters but not one of my worst. I will still keep him of the list

Final results

Staying :)
---------------------------------
:4charizard: :4pit:/:4darkpit: :4lucario: :4ness: :4pikachu: :4rob: :4shulk: :4mewtwo: :4metaknight: :4myfriends:

Booted off :(
---------------------------------
:4bowser: :4bowserjr: :4megaman: :4olimar: :4feroy: :4tlink:

I will continue to further experiment with these characters to find a main.

The journey continues!

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
It's gotta be :4metaknight:. The only reason I dropped him in the first place was having to rely on the roof combo, but looking back I was in my prime as a Meta Knight main. The playstyle, though it lacks a meteor, is pretty solid for what I do. I used to do jab locks, hard reads, comebacks, the whole 9. And there's no better time to go back than when I pick Villager as my main.

But I also think using :4palutena: in singles can't hurt once in a while. It's not often that one finds a good Palu. Yes, of course I think she needs some fixes here and there, but they are pretty miniscule and won't affect my current playstyle... and I'm already sick with her in doubles.

Top Bottom