• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mad Scientist Hououin Kyouma! - Okabe Rintaro for Smash!

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Actually surprised there is no thread for Okabe so I decided to make one! So... who is Okabe?

Rintarou_full_profile.png

Okabe Rintaro is the main protagonist of the visual novel Steins;Gate, he is a self-proclaimed 'mad scientist' who goes under the name of Hououin Kyouma however most people just call him by his actual name. He is the founder of the 'Future Gadget Laboratory' with his friends in which they have invented some strange gadgets as well as accidentally discovering time travel which leads to the main plot of the visual novel as well as its 'sequel' Steins;Gate 0. Okabe has a very endearing a bizarre personality which I think could make him one of the weirdest additions to Smash.

Now Steins;Gate may not be a big name in the Smash community however it is a highly acclaimed visual novel and its anime adaptation is considered one of the greatest anime ever created. I know a few different characters have been suggested from visual novels to get into Smash and a Steins;Gate rep is probably unlikely (it is on Switch btw!) but I am a big fan of the franchise so I made this thread to discuss the possibility for movesets and such of Okabe and see if there is any other Steins;Gate fans out there.

If enough people want I will create a supporters list but watch this thread get taken down for being an anime character or some other crap even though Saber is on here lol.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I looked for a general Steins;Gate support thread and one for Kurisu and couldn't find either one. In any case, I support. It's not disconfirmed for fighter number five so why not? You're not alone, bruh. There are dozens of us!

Last edited:

sweet_fries

Smash Rookie
Okabe (from SteinsGate 0) in Smash Bros.
Gimmick: okabe has a determination meter. When he uses an attack that involves someone else, this meter will get filled. The meter usually will get fully filled in the last stock.

Jab: hits twice with his phone
Forward tilt: does a slice with his cyalume saber (future gadget #6)
Down tilt: swipes his bit particle gun (future gadget #1) through the ground
Up tilt: aims his bamboo helicam (future gadget #2) upwards and spins it

Nair: this would work just like jigglypuff's nair. Okabe gets his particle gun and points it forward, with a hitbox which stays out for some time
Fair: throws his cellphone forward, just like villager's fair
Bair: same thing as fair, but backwards
Upair: points his cyalume saber upwards
Dair: throws his "would it be, ora ora!?" (future gadget #3) downwards, spiking any foe caught by it. A lot of start lag.

F smash: daru would come, and use an attack like k rool's f smash.
D smash: faris would show up in front of okabe and luka behind him. They would make a stop sign with their hands.
Up smash: suzuha would shoot upwards with her gun, like mii gunner's up smash

Grab: for all of his grabs, amadeus would appear from okabe's phone. She would just say something, and her voice would be what launches foes. D throw would make the enemy stunned, like snake's down throw

N special: okabe can only use this attack with at least 50% of his determination meter filled. He would send a d-mail. By using this special, okabe would go back to the state where he was 15 seconds before. He would get to where he was before, with the same percentage, same items in hand (if he was holding one)... His determination meter would NOT change. Only the determination meter. This attack has a cooldown of 1 minute. When the determination gauge gets fully filled, next time he uses this special, he would enter a cutscene where he saves kurisu. This would change all of his attacks that don't envolve someone else. Kurisu would work just like the second ice climber, and would always be following okabe.
F special: moeka, suzuha or kagari would come and stand still until you press f special again. Pressing it again would make the person shoot forward. Each girl has a different gun damage, range and delay to shoot.
D special: mayuri would come and say "tuturuu" in okabe's front. She would work like a counter. If mayuri gets hit, she would slap the enemy's face.
Up special: determination gauge at 0%-50%: mayuri would hug okabe and send him diagonals upwards. Okabe would would like a hitbox. 51%-100%: okabe would send a d-mail. This work work similar to palutena's teleport. The range of the teleport would increase if okabe gets more determination.

Final smash: basic final smash with a cutscene.

Ps.: I'm from Brazil, so sorry for the dumb engrish mistakes (some mistakes are from fat finger as well)

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Even though he has almost no chance, I want him in, I support Okabe
He's a video game character and has pretty much all of his games on the Switch, what more does he need?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can't believe I haven't posted in here yet despite having this thread followed. Okabe is my wildest left field pick, particularly if Kurisu is involved in the moveset as well. They'd be excellent fighters, very unconventional, and Steins;Gate is one of the best things I've ever experienced and the anime adaptation is one of my favorite shows ever. Big time support.

One day I should make a Kurisu moveset.

Top Bottom