• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Cauthon Luck

Smash Rookie
Sneakh, something I've noticed is you can be predictable in your approaches. You are very good at reading/reacting to other people, but your approach game needs some work. I think your combo game is better than you give yourself credit for.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Sneakh, something I've noticed is you can be predictable in your approaches. You are very good at reading/reacting to other people, but your approach game needs some work. I think your combo game is better than you give yourself credit for.
In all seriousness this is true and your combo game is really good.

Cauthon I know you only played me once but where did I seem to struggle? In your opinion. Anyone can answer though

Last edited:

Sneakh

Smash Rookie
I appreciate the positive comments; I guess I always feel like I'm playing suboptimal so I down the things I do well lol.

As for the approaching, I think you're right. Part of the problem is that I don't know what I'm supposed to do, so I just keep doing what comes intuitively. Which, admittedly, isn't that great.

I think the first step is sort of understanding the factors of approaching and what makes a "good" approach.
Is there a baseline "best" approach for each char vs. a certain character? Is that true for some characters and not others?

Or are approaches very read based and have to do with mixing up how you condition your opponent?

Some combination of the above?

Then of course there is the "forced approach" approach. e.g., throwing fireballs as mario or needles as sheik until the opponent attacks you.

I think I might make an effort post later which will help me organize my thoughts and *maybe* help someone else.

In all seriousness this is true and your combo game is really good.

Cauthon I know you only played me once but where did I seem to struggle? In your opinion. Anyone can answer though
I'll give my 2 cents on this as well, but I have to go back to work :)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
If you scrubs are looking to grow a beard, I would suggest councel from Cyphus' beard. It's the only beard that actually matters in the Smash community.

All hail the bearded king.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
you seem to be suffering from what I suffer

the solution is to always press buttons, and if that doesn't work

PRESS THEM FASTER
Since i'm dropping my Melee characters you should help me pick up Link. the yung'uns gotta stick together :)

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
how to play link:

did you throw boomerang:
if yes you should be winning
if no then throw the boomerang
if yes and you are not winning, then just throw it again once it comes back, it will work eventually

but more realistically learn how to aerial glide toss the bombs and how to bomb jump, after that you just kinda feel him out and play how you wanna play him.

D

Deleted member

I beat cyphus in a beard match when i was like 17. Voted by a council of our peers. Just sayin'

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
how to play link:

did you throw boomerang:
if yes and you are not winning, then just throw it again once it comes back, it will work eventually

but more realistically learn how to aerial glide toss the bombs and how to bomb jump, after that you just kinda feel him out and play how you wanna play him.
Lol I can do all of that including the Bomb Punt.

Last edited:

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
bomb punt isn't even that useful imo, like you can have more use learning this random thing I found where you pull a bomb, z-drop it at the start of short hop, and then you can double jump fade away and pull another bomb before you hit the ground, now you have access to 2 bombs that you can throw basically simultaneously if you short hop throw the first bomb and then glide toss the other bomb in any direction while coming down from the short hop. this sounds a lot more complicated in text but it's pretty easy after like 10 attempts.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
less link and beards in this thread. more zelda and peach pls
But Zelda is Fair and Peach is down smash. lol. I love those characters though

bomb punt isn't even that useful imo, like you can have more use learning this random thing I found where you pull a bomb, z-drop it at the start of short hop, and then you can double jump fade away and pull another bomb before you hit the ground, now you have access to 2 bombs that you can throw basically simultaneously if you short hop throw the first bomb and then glide toss the other bomb in any direction while coming down from the short hop. this sounds a lot more complicated in text but it's pretty easy after like 10 attempts.
that sounds like a plan

Last edited:

Cauthon Luck

Smash Rookie
I mean I think the point is you combo into Fair. Perfect sweetspot kills at like 50 or something stupid on that move. Bair is by far the better move in Neutral though. Also nair is Peach's best move, not downsmash, except in teams.

SKJET, i don't think I've played you enough to have much insight. I think if you asked me right after our match I could have said more. We need to play some friendlies at next godlike or something.

Sneakh, I think it needs to be a combination of all of the above.
I feel like when you are behind you start playing super defensive, trying to get your opponent to approach you with needles, which is fine, but there are characters who can just outcamp you. I know Sheik as a character doesn't have the best approach options, but you should probably dash dance more. Dash dance grab works on everyone. Also, the best approach option is whatever works, but if you can condition your opponent to expect something and then mix it up, that works best in my experience.

Granted I'm awful at this game, so idk how useful my advice is.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
how to play link:

did you throw boomerang:

Bro, from one Link player to another... Needs more bombs.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I mean I think the point is you combo into Fair. Perfect sweetspot kills at like 50 or something stupid on that move. Bair is by far the better move in Neutral though. Also nair is Peach's best move, not downsmash, except in teams.

SKJET, i don't think I've played you enough to have much insight. I think if you asked me right after our match I could have said more. We need to play some friendlies at next godlike or something.

Sneakh, I think it needs to be a combination of all of the above.
I feel like when you are behind you start playing super defensive, trying to get your opponent to approach you with needles, which is fine, but there are characters who can just outcamp you. I know Sheik as a character doesn't have the best approach options, but you should probably dash dance more. Dash dance grab works on everyone. Also, the best approach option is whatever works, but if you can condition your opponent to expect something and then mix it up, that works best in my experience.

Granted I'm awful at this game, so idk how useful my advice is.
I should've asked you right after. I have fun playing close matches ( but at that point in the bracket I was nervous ) so I might've played a little worse than I usually play.

'V'

Smash Lord

My contribution to the Zelda discussion since I've been doing nothing but playing as her in Hyrule Warriors!! MY WAIFUUU!!! <3 <3

Got nothing for Peach, though. I suck with Peach. lol

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
Feels weird saying this about a smash game but smash 4 3ds has some of the best 1v1 netplay ive experienced on any fighting game ever. Who woulda thunk

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
won a PM gamestop tourney last night for a smash 4 release party, expected to get the game for winning

got a 20 inch mario statue, a ribbon, a smash coin, a mario kart notepad, and a 10$ gamestop gift card.

can't tell if I should be mad or not

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
If you sold all that you could probably get the game with the money you got from it.

Also, does anyone who has Smash 4 now also go to/live near BRCC? If so would they be willing to meet up on a Tuesday at 4:15 for an hour of Smash? Sudai will also come if so, so it'd be awesome, and yeah.

Logz

Smash Cadet
I like the game. Obviously it isn't melee/PM, but at least it isn't Brawl. It honestly feels like I'm playing SSB64 right now. At least the sound track is on point.

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
Seriously loving this online. It's like I wanna fight a n!gga, so I go to the fight a n!gga mode, I choose fight a n!gga, and I fight a n!gga. Why wasn't this on brawl. Its like games back in the day went out of their way to be unplayed

Last edited:

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
won a PM gamestop tourney last night for a smash 4 release party, expected to get the game for winning

got a 20 inch mario statue, a ribbon, a smash coin, a mario kart notepad, and a 10$ gamestop gift card.

can't tell if I should be mad or not
Where was this and nice

Last edited:

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
gamestop on blue bonnet (BR)

nobody good except hunter and peter showed up, I didn't drop a game, almost got my first JV5 stock

'twas a good night

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
Don't worry, friends. Your beard will come! (Most of the time... >.>) If you want my advice, start shaving. Even if there's nothing there, by shaving, you're already encouraging it to grow back faster and thicker. I used to think I'd never have a beard and then I shaved and poof. Now I have a sexy cover of hair upon my face.

Also the game is pretty fun right now. It'll have it's place, so let's just enjoy it until we decide it ain't worth it anymore lol.

'V'

Smash Lord
All the Zelda players are kicking... LOL

Also added my 3DS friend code for those peeps that wanna play.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm loving this game so far. Took me a while to figure things out, but I've got the concept of mixing up movement and everything down and keeping to the center.

Loving Bowser and Wii Fit Trainer. Have a soft spot for Paletuna and Doge.

I'm 16 and I don't have a beard yet :(
I'm going to be 24 next week. I still can't grow a full beard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom