• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lost Four

Zevox

Smash Lord
Same could be said with Doc and Roy...
Doc was a white-suited Mario throwing pills.
Roy looked different but was the fire-version of Marth.

Each two play the same, but have visual/battle variations that may help or hurt them...
I do say the same about Doc - hes just Mario in another outfit. Hence why I'm glad hes gone. I also say the same about Young/Toon Link and Zero Suit Samus - Link as a child and with a different art style, and Samus in a different outfit. Don't like that they're in, but theres nothing I can do about it, so theres no point complaining about it until/unless a fourth SSB is announced.

Roy on the other hand is a completely different individual from Marth. Yes, he was given cloned moves, but that no more makes him the same person as Marth than being cloned makes Ganondorf the same person as Captain Falcon. Given unique moves, Roy would be an okay addition to the roster. Pichu, not so much, since no matter what moves he has, you can never escape the fact that as a character, hes nothing but a younger Pikachu. This is my opinion on the matter.

Zevox

orintemple

Smash Lord
Doc is out because he was just Mario and was a fun gimick character. Pichu is out cause they only had him so they could have a 4th Pokemon rep in Melee.

Roy was put in Melee to advertise for FE 7. That is why he was in at all. Marth was the true "rep" for the FE series Roy was just advertisement.

Mewtwo should not have been taken out at all. He is the only unique character of the 4 removed and while he was terrible, that is no reason to remove him. The only reason I can fathom is that he was in cause he was popular after the first Pokemon movie and now they made a Lucario movie recently so now Lucario is the big man in town for Pokemon. But that doesn't justify Mewtwo's removal in my opinion.

ksadkiller

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo and Roy were dirt tier in melee and quite unpopular. So... It makes sense that they would have a new, more "badass?" pokemon like Lucario take his place. Roy was merely "Teh Phires" so... not really necessary, he was pretty crappy too. Marth was way more popular.
mewtwo is 2x more badass than lucario

but mewtwo was tight cuz hed float around and do a bunch of wierd psychic ****. lucario is this weird anthropomorphic version of mewtwo. now who's gonna be the wierd floaty character with psychic ****?

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Ike gives us a great new character in lieu of Roy. A vast improvement imo.
Lucario gives us a great new character in lieu of Mewtwo. A vast improvement imo.
Pichu will not be missed by many.
The new mario plays very similar to Doc. And I thought you hated clones?

Fimbulvetr

Smash Rookie
Roy was put in Melee to advertise for FE 7. That is why he was in at all. Marth was the true "rep" for the FE series Roy was just advertisement.

Roy was there to advertise FE6, not 7. FE7 released two years later, so it would be a bit odd.

No one seems to know this, but Roy isn't much of a character. Virtually everyone else in FE6 has a more interesting personality. Am I right assuming most people don't know Roy is the son of FE7's (just called Fire Emblem overseas) main character? Because I'm getting that impression. Do your research. You would then know Roy isn't too popular within the FE crowd.

One more thing, Roy's Sword of Seals and Ike's Ragnell have a projectile attacks in-game. The SoS' is roughly like Flare Blade in Melee, but 20 metres away, and Ragnell's is an energy shockwave. I think these should have been used, although would create quite the balancing issue considering their large hand-to-hand range give them an innate advantage.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
People, to say that Lucario is like mewtwo is to agree that ganondorf should still be like captain falcon!

the just have three ****ed similarities... and their gameplay differs hellish a lot!

Lucario gameplay is about kicking *****.. Mewtwo Gameplay is about blowing heads simple enough. interesting their gameplay suits them well in bawl and in melee.. lucario is like: punch,. kick, upercut throw, another kick, aura, kamehamehaaa! instead, mewtwo is about: Mewtwo opponent: he is going to jump.. agh he instead disabled me, I'm hit! now will counter! What! where the hell he went? agh, it's behind me! now it's my turn.. agh, what the hell he done?! what, he just.. just.. just.. agh! *head explodes and now the sound of blottering blood is filling the stage*... don't you understand the diference now? the best mewtwo was the master of mindtricks, which with the right manual dexterity, he have a a lot of options to choose...

I WILL miss mewtwo.. yeah, lucario loos cool, but he is not replacement, I'm first generation poke player and he was my fav pokemon, plus, i liked his gameplay in melee... and i really trying to main him...

IF people think that mewtwo in melee was an utterly fail as a competitive player.. please check Taj's mewtwo.. that made me believe that mewtwo wasn't the worst character, but the more difficult to master...

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
One thing that has been bugging me for the past hour or so.

People have been saying that characters like Toon Link, Wolf, Ganondorf aren't clones (anymore in the caase of Ganondorf) because of different animations or attack effects (like TL's boomerang going further and not being windy, or Ganondorf's forwardb having a slightly different animation). Or even with Ness and Lucas, in Sakurai's update this morning he said they were different because of things like Luca's upB hitting multiple times whereas Ness's hits once, and that was enough to say that they aren't clones.

Now, Roy seems to be considered a clone of Marth and apart from being in a 'lower tier', people are also glad at his removal for being a clone. The thing that has been bugging me is that his differences with Marth (different attack effects due and different sweet spot) are about the same with the non-clones of Brawl. What makes Roy a clone and the others not. Because slightly different attack effects shouldn't if Roy is considered a clone.

Top Bottom