• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lost Four

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
Roy, Dr.Mario, Pichu, and Mewtwo

so these are the melee characters that didn't make the cut. i would say young link but i'm not sure if WW Link/toon link is an actual replacement.

anyways all them have some sort of relation to a character in the current roster so i probalbly won't miss them to much. but if they were going to keep some almost cloned characters why drop characters like mewtwo and roy.

discuss what you think abuot them being cut.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Pichu?

**** Pichu. Dr. Mario is just Mario(and this time Mario is better, so whatever). Roy? **** roy. And Mewtwo? yeah... Sorry mewtwo, i always loved you.

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
You can make an argument that Toon link is Young Link. They play extremely similar with the only exceptions being the really fast dair and the fast jumping skill. Thanks to that, I personally think he's more useful this time around. Especially taking into account that the pace seems a tad slower than melee and yet this incarnation is slightly faster than his melee counterpart.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OALDN5Aodng

I won't miss Roy personally. I have no opinion either way on clones nor do I wish to state what a clone means to me. I never played fire emblem and that's likely why there's no sting on my part.

I detested Pichu. What a waste of space. Sorry Pichu lovers, that's just my opinion. I couldn't fathom why he was in melee.

But Mewtwo . . . yeah that kinda stung. This is mostly due to the fact that he helped connect my nostalgia towards the first pokemon game that I played. And since he was the strongest in that game, he left a very lasting impression. I won't go as far as using Lucario as my training punching bag, but I think it's a shame that he's gone.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
We have better than Mewtwo, the only reason you'd be unhappy with lucario is if you have a weird loyalty to mewtwo or a grudge with lucario, in which case you're on your own anyway. Lucario is everything about mewtwo in melee that was good, with everything that was bad fixed (hit box, speed, weight, kill power etc). He looks like a very solid character for almost any mode, I'm quite happy with him. Roy, Doc, and Pichu.... well, to be honest I'm not hurt at all, they have proper replacements or the people they're close of have been revamped enough to remove the need of a clone.

ChrisLionheart

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo and Roy were dirt tier in melee and quite unpopular. So... It makes sense that they would have a new, more "badass?" pokemon like Lucario take his place. Roy was merely "Teh Phires" so... not really necessary, he was pretty crappy too. Marth was way more popular.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
He's so not a clone, a loose representation at best. If you've seen his gameplay, his speed, power, weight, hitboxes (both giving and taking) and most of his moveset are completely different. He's more different from melee mewtwo than mario is from luigi, which to me is the furthest away a character can be and be considered a clone.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
If roy had the stats marth did and the other way around for marth, roy would be the popular one. It's not about the character at all, it's about how broken marth was.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Eh... they were all pretty much reincarnated as better characters (Ness/Lucas better jack some of Mewtwo's awesome Psi attacks)

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
I looking forward to an epic PT v mewtwo until that 35 roster actually came
oh well now there's PT v lucario.....nah does't have the same feeling
lucario is not the legendary mewtwo come on, you make multiple lucario in one game but there
was only one mewtwo.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
If you were a good trader there were at least 5, besides, it would be the same fight. Just gotta get over that it's not the awesome ledgendary psychic from the first game.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
If you were a good trader there were at least 5, besides, it would be the same fight. Just gotta get over that it's not the awesome ledgendary psychic from the first game.
yeah i know that but lucario is breedable and dont need help from others the get more
if ROb is part of history then mewtwo is great pokemon history. besides if there are three land masters and luigified characters going aroud mewtwo would have been workable along with lucario.
never realy cared for pikachu or jiggs agianst mewtwo , and lucario would have made interesting competition for him along with PT.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
well young link for toon link is a real replacement. they are pretty different and toon link is too awesome.

Roy is gone because he is the main character of fire emblem 6, which has passed away, and Ike's replacement is normal and a good point in the roster. Marth isn't gone because he is the main of fire emblem 1 and he is so the saga-standard.

I would have prefered Mewtwo to stay, he wasn't even a clone of anyone and he was really original. I don't like Lucario at all :( :(

LordLocke

Smash Journeyman
Mario has seemed to absorb some of Doc's properties- his air F+A works like Doc's now instead of how it used to. Doc's pills are still better then new Mario's fireballs, but of the losses, Doc hurts the least.

Roy was a Marth with absolutely zero gameplay reasons to use over his counterpart other then the 'lol' factor of some of his attacks. Seeing him dropped for Ike, who's much, much different from either isn't surprising, and rather welcome.

Mewtwo was dropped to let Lucario mug the limited good from Mewtwo's moveset and backs it up with stuff that makes him look... well, decent. Mewtwo will be missed, but if Lucario doesn't suddenly show up with some hideous failings that drop him to where M2 sat in Melee, we're probably better off for it.

Pichu is like Dan Hibiki, except not nearly as awesome from a character standpoint- a game wouldn't be any worse with Pichu's inclusion, but competitively, it wouldn't be any better with the joke character, either. This takes parts of why both Mewtwo AND Roy were dumped and added in an additional bucket of 'nobody cares about G/S-era prevolutions anymore so they don't feel the need to shove Pichu down our throat' like a kind of special sauce.

truegrey

Smash Rookie
Mewtwo, while underpowered, was the most unique fighting style, save G&W. his PK item use, actual teleport, and cool fluid movestyle will be dearly missed. They could have just buffed him, but they did not....

why?

Because Lucario is EXTREME AND TO THE MAX IN A TOTALLY COOL AND MARKETABLE WAY!

Mewtwo pleases red/blue players like myself. lucario sells diamond/pearl. no brainer.

----

Roy... you will be missed, just as the Lyndis that ought to have been. R.I.P. *goes to play fire emblem*

Dr. Mario: Surprised he's not an alternate costume in this one. They could even change the fire to pills with about 20 seconds of programming.

Pichu: FREEDOM! FINALLY! *dances on his grave* gwa ha ha - die, demon rat, die! *clears throat* Er... that is.... to sleep, perchance, to dream, little one.

PikachuSSBM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tsuzama
lol. pichu is the worlds ammunition for jokes.
as long as melee is around we will never run dry of pichu related rubbish.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
i think pichu was only there to promote gold and sivler but they had better options mybe
roy i heard he was for promotion too(i could be wrong)
Dr. Mario?... remeber the whole nes gBA theme
but mewtwo why besides the lucario explanation it was a dissappionting move.

Jason777123

Smash Cadet
why not just throw in Mewtwo too there is still a month so why not?
oh wait but then the character select would be uneven oh well throw mewtwo in anyway!:laugh:

oh and Pichu,Dr. Mario, and roy i would just put in roy if possible.

maybe the U.S. one can be unique.

deathborn00

Smash Apprentice
**** i really miss Mewtwo, he's way cooler than Lucario. Sure Mewtwo was low tier, but everything Mewtwo did, from walking, to being too close to the edge. That guy just had a whole aura of badassness to him. Mewtwo i will sorely miss you.

R.I.P Mewtwo, my favorite pokemon of all time.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Lucario = Mewtwo with PIZAZZ and doggy parts :D
Ike = Roy, only more different-er than Marth to make himself different-er
Mario = Most likely got something from Dr. Mario to make himself better (wasn't Doc higher on the tier list?)
Pikachu = Most likely got a bit more faster (like Pichu) and maybe an attack property of Pichu or two

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Marth seems to be buffed a bit, so Roy mains may find hope in him.
Dr. Mario and Mario are so similar he will hardly be missed.
Lucario uses some similar moves to Mewtwo, and he has a similar build.
I don't even need to justify Pichu.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Is Mewtwo going to be a boss?

It would have been cool to see them all back but it didn't happen.

Is Dr. Mario and alt costume?

Roy alt costume for Marth?

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Hmm... I think they should've kept all the characters.. they didn't have to redo much. It would've been fine if they'd had cloned movesets. I don't think anyone would've complained if they'd just added them to the roster anyway- actually I take that back, since Krystal and Ridley etc didnt get in. If they and Geno and Isaac and whatever had got in, I think that people would'nt have cared if Dr. Mario etc had come back.

courte

Smash Lord
a little sad regarding pichu ((hoped for some sort of pluslse minun/pichu bros mechanic)), because we all know however much you suck, things change completely when theres 2 [IC]

doc mario idc about and i really wanted him replaced with Paper Mario with like no tribute, an all black or white with the headband thing if at all

roy hurts but not as much as the overall seeming blech on FE, although you gotta admit, it's not that big of a franchise for nintendo or as important as some of the others

mewtwo i just had high hopes for((Ganondorf and Toon Link are WETFs right now))

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Aside from Mewtwo, good riddance...
As far as Mewtwo goes: I sure hope he is the best Pokeball in the game. Please?

Zevox

Smash Lord
Pichu/Doctor Mario - Metaphorically speaking, I'm dancing on their graves. I didn't want them in Melee, I'm still of the opinion that they were a waste there, and I'm sure happy to see them gone from Brawl. My only regret is that Young Link didn't quite join them, but rather got reincarnated in Toon form.

Roy - I'm not that big of a fan of his, but I wouldn't have minded his return. I'm not surprised by his removal though - the general dislike among the Japanese for the GBA Fire Emblem games just left without enough fans to stay in. Nonetheless, Ike is a more than fitting replacement, so I'm not really saddened by his loss. Hopefully he'll at least get to be an AT in memory of his Melee appearance.

Mewtwo - Should not have been cut. Seriously. Hes far too iconic to his series, and Lucario is almost nothing like him from the video's I've seen (they share perhaps 3 moves in total), so he sure as hell wasn't cut to avoid being criticized as a clone of Lucario. This and Ganondorf remaining almost entirely unchanged are the two biggest complaints I have about Brawl. I truly hope he has a role in Subspace Emissary as an NPC and is a Pokèball - thats the least he deserves.

Zevox

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
This was very easy to fix.

-Make Doc an alternate costume for Mario. Wario got one.. It makes sense.
- Pichu becomes a Pokéball PKMN or part of the Electric part of Pokémon Stadium II.
- Roy becomes an Assist Trophy.
-Mewtwo stays playable or becomes a SSE boss. Or Even a Pokéball PKMN.

Of course it is possible to make them all playable with different movesets. Except Doc.
Mewtwo could be a Lucario Clone or just have his old Moveset. Pichu could have moves that suit him like Sweet Kiss and that stuff. Roy could be a mix of Marth and Ike.

I really don't know why they HAD to take anyone out. Stupid if you ask me.

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet
If roy had the stats marth did and the other way around for marth, roy would be the popular one. It's not about the character at all, it's about how broken marth was.

.....And That Marth was in the original Fire Emblem.

He's got OG points.

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet
I looking forward to an epic PT v mewtwo until that 35 roster actually came
oh well now there's PT v lucario.....nah does't have the same feeling
lucario is not the legendary mewtwo come on, you make multiple lucario in one game but there
was only one mewtwo.

.....There was also one Lucario in his game.

I love Mewtwo but he isn't the be all end all pokemon anymore.

That said,I wish both could have been in.

Sparkchu

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone hate Pichu so much?! What? Because it takes damage upon itself?

So what? I (And maybe some others) managed to kick tail against most people as the little mouse.
It may even had lesser range in SideSmashA than Pikachu, but IMO was a bit stronger in comparion to Pikachu.
The biggest reason of all, however was that fact that I didn't have to play as Pikachu all the time (I'm not too found of that mouse). Pichu was my side main when I'm not using Mains Falco and Kirby.

*sigh* But since it is gone, I could see Melee-Pichu evolved into Brawl-Pikachu after battling for almost 7 years.

As for Mewtwo and Roy, it's a shame they couldn't even share the selection boxes with Lucario and Marth like Zelda and Sheik.
Some people prefer Roy over Marth and vice-versa. And Mewtwo was awesome overall (which was why many of us left the GC on overnight just to unlock him).

Dr. Mario, on the other hand, would have been another color costume when selecting him.

I wish Sakurai coud at least explain why he took these four out.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Why does everyone hate Pichu so much?! What? Because it takes damage upon itself?
No (at least not in my case) - because its redundant. Its just a young Pikachu. We have Pikachu, so theres no point in having him as a child too. Its a waste of space that could go to more unique, interesting characters, rather than another version of one we already have.

Zevox

sultanofsurreal

Smash Cadet
Four of the most useless characters gone. Good riddance. I'd have liked to see Mewtwo given a second chance with a less horrible moveset, but Sakurai isn't in the habit of giving new moves to old characters, so it's just as well.

Sparkchu

Smash Apprentice
No (at least not in my case) - because its redundant. Its just a young Pikachu. We have Pikachu, so theres no point in having him as a child too. Its a waste of space that could go to more unique, interesting characters, rather than another version of one we already have.

Zevox
Same could be said with Doc and Roy...
Doc was a white-suited Mario throwing pills.
Roy looked different but was the fire-version of Marth.

Each two play the same, but have visual/battle variations that may help or hurt them...

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don't feel that Roy was a HUGE loss with the inclusion of a completely new FE moveset. He was probably cut due to lack of concrete popularity, and really the inclusion of Ike is for similar reasons to Roy's inclusion, sans cloneage.

Pichu's loss isn't that pivotal in my eyes either, considering that he was really just a joke character anyway, and arguably one of the worst characters. Still, I did like that idea for the double Pichu team-up, but there are other characters I would gladly take over that idea anyway, so... lets move on.

In my opinion, I think Doctor Mario would have made a cool addition as an alternate costume, like Wario's classic attire. The catch would be the lack of a "Luigified" Doctor M, simply trading out graphics for the fireballs and fire-based business. Still, not entirely necessary, and not a huge loss, although I will miss the pill sound effects, and I would have LOVED a Doctor Mario stage!

Now Mewtwo on the other hand... I felt a little nerfed that clones were still being included in Brawl, but they didn't feel compelled to bring Mewtwo back. Obviously he's probably not as popular as I think he SHOULD be, but I'm sure many would agree with me that he was a memorable face. I think one of the main reasons for his cut was that he was rather poor, and that Lucario had better specs for balance. However, I feel that if they addressed some of the issues ol' M2 had, they could have made him more suitable for Brawl. Aside from his specs, his special moves could use slight retuning, especially his Forward and Down Specials. I know I'd love to see Forward Special be replaced with Psycho Cut, but...

Anyway, I would have loved to see any of these guys in any of the ways I mentioned, but the one that I can't believe was cut was Mewtwo, solely because of the fact that he is so similar to Lucario and that other clones made it in... Was he even a boss? Was he anything? Not even sure.

Top Bottom