• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Long Island Smash Thread: Billy Joel and Wings Over

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
We should get a group together and get a hotel room. I dont want to be sleeping on the floor again like apex (need solid sleep so i play well)

:phone:

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
so there's 2 tv's in my living room for some random reason. and i think it has just inspired me to host fest. if i were to have it tomorrow, would it be too short of notice? and i guess if tomorrow isn't working, lemme know a day guys.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
so there's 2 tv's in my living room for some random reason. and i think it has just inspired me to host fest. if i were to have it tomorrow, would it be too short of notice? and i guess if tomorrow isn't working, lemme know a day guys.
I'm totally good for tomorrow. Or today.

I haven't looked into zenith housing/transport either

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Ok guys couple of things.

1: zenith housing we need to get on top of this. I would like to get it done soon, blu planet by the latest (i want to get on top of this before there r no rooms left)

2: after blu planet (or during) is there going to be a big group trip out to wings? B/c there should be.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Doesnt seem like theres a hotel they've made any type of deal w/ but i wanna stay where the smash is

im gonna talk to some people, find out where they're staying for zenith

JU4N

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if you guys find out relevant Zenith details, I'd be interested.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Last time, we stayed at a...Holiday Inn? There was another hotel close to the venue as well.

prog

http://www.ssbpd.com/ pretty cool player rankings site thing

we stayed at some kinda sketchy hotel haha. I remember we had gone to like three places before we found somewhere with room.
and we got lost, and we ended up in a marsh and we hit our head on the ceiling and we spilled mountain dew and we put our shirts in the freezer

Smashjin

Smash Ace
and we got lost, and we ended up in a marsh and we hit our head on the ceiling and we spilled mountain dew and we put our shirts in the freezer
I'd do it all over.

Edit: I updated the OP with the upcoming tournaments again. If anyone feels like it helps out or looks nice let me know and I'll try to keep doing it.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
If anyone is going to no johns and has room i'll pay gas money if you can pick me up in the city or wherever is convenient i would super super appreciate it

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Ryan I'll get back to you theres like a 50% chance I'm going and I'd have room in my car. But we might leave at like 6:30.

On the topic of Zenith housing: Idgaf where I stay, I just want to be where most of the smashers are, preferably the ones I know.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Shamless double post. Can't make it to no johns today, this weekends been ******** for me.

On topic w/ Zenith. Urpser(Nick), Lupe(Frank), another friend of mine and I have a room at the best western for Friday and Saturday. I'm sure we'll have some floor space for some of you guys if you want. I don't think I have car space though, 4 people and 2 set ups takes up space.

Just a heads up though, I'm predicting there will be a decent amount of partying and staying up going on, so if you want a lot of sleep this might not be the place to crash. Hoping for at least 2 in room set ups like we had at apex.

If anyone wants to share a bed, I'm the big spoon and I like hugging.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
Shamless double post. Can't make it to no johns today, this weekends been ******** for me.

On topic w/ Zenith. Urpser(Nick), Lupe(Frank), another friend of mine and I have a room at the best western for Friday and Saturday. I'm sure we'll have some floor space for some of you guys if you want. I don't think I have car space though, 4 people and 2 set ups takes up space.

Just a heads up though, I'm predicting there will be a decent amount of partying and staying up going on, so if you want a lot of sleep this might not be the place to crash. Hoping for at least 2 in room set ups like we had at apex.

If anyone wants to share a bed, I'm the big spoon and I like hugging.

Was gonna post about this.

I'll probably try and come down for Friday and crash with you guys again if that's cool?

I still need to ask off work.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Lol our room might be full already

Edit: yeah 9 people is about tapped out lol

Unless we should try for more

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but that would be it lol. That puts us at 12 ppl, 10 if will and lefty don't come.

I posted in the actual thread and had 3 people ask to stay w/ us, and I offered some space to Codi, who asked about Animal and maybe Lefty. Its cool though.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So why isn't blu planet may 12th in the op?

Also i believe billy and i r getting a room for zenith who else still needs a place to stay?

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Lets check in at the same time and get our rooms next to eachother lololol

If we can do that. Or not.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
So why isn't blu planet may 12th in the op?

Also i believe billy and i r getting a room for zenith who else still needs a place to stay?

I forgot about it.

When I was updating the OP with the tourneys I just looked at the first page for locals/closeby stuff. Blu Planet's thread hadn't been posted in in the last month so I didn't see it.

Edit: I didn't think people looked at that lol

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I really like that u post tourneys in the op, makes it really easy to find out whats going on near me

@boat: talk to billy about room stuff, i have asked him to be in charge of it

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
so would anyone wanna throw down some money on the room i'm going to reserve? at the moment it will be just ben and myself in the room, so there will be plenty of space for a few more heads.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
I really like that u post tourneys in the op, makes it really easy to find out whats going on near me

@boat: talk to billy about room stuff, i have asked him to be in charge of it

Thanks. Good to hear some positive feedback from someone. I really like how the OP came out for this thread. It looks a lot nicer then some of the other player social/lists.

We need to play at Zenith, Billy.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
so would anyone wanna throw down some money on the room i'm going to reserve? at the moment it will be just ben and myself in the room, so there will be plenty of space for a few more heads.
Ik I txt'd you this but make sure you talk to Codi. I told him I'd house him in the Zenith thread but I've already got Dan and maybe Mike, and then like 4 other people who asked.

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
i talked to codi, right after i spoke with you yesterday matt, but he didn't answer the last text i sent him. if you speak to him, you should see if he'd rather stay in our room, since yours seems pretty packed out.

and dan, we'll definitely be getting lots of matches going.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Or dan/will could stay w/ you. I think it would be sick if our rooms could be close if possible.

prog

bah, i guess i'll spend my weekend as a miscreant and go. put me down in either room.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
So I've been thinking about tournament fees and accessibility a lot lately. I understand most people who host don't have a cheap venue to use, but $20 for 3 hours w/ my matches and a few friendlies just doesn't seem worth. I'm a pretty new player who can't take a legit set off of any of the top 5 on LI (yet), so why should I spend $20 when I can get 10x more playing in for free in a less formal setting? No disrespect to Jared but Blu planet comes to mind, and I'm a little tentative about going if its going to be more or less the same.

So, I'm going to try and set up a few $5 locals that end up turning into smashfests over the summer. They'll probably be at my house, but I've got a nice back yard and we had 8 people playing pretty comfortably inside when it was too cold. Most of our locals probably won't go above 15 entrants anyway.

It would be awesome if anyone else felt the same way and wanted to try and take the initiative with me.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
So I've been thinking about tournament fees and accessibility a lot lately. I understand most people who host don't have a cheap venue to use, but $20 for 3 hours w/ my matches and a few friendlies just doesn't seem worth. I'm a pretty new player who can't take a legit set off of any of the top 5 on LI (yet), so why should I spend $20 when I can get 10x more playing in for free in a less formal setting? No disrespect to Jared but Blu planet comes to mind, and I'm a little tentative about going if its going to be more or less the same.

So, I'm going to try and set up a few $5 locals that end up turning into smashfests over the summer. They'll probably be at my house, but I've got a nice back yard and we had 8 people playing pretty comfortably inside when it was too cold. Most of our locals probably won't go above 15 entrants anyway.

It would be awesome if anyone else felt the same way and wanted to try and take the initiative with me.
I agree for the most part. For a lot of new players they pay the venue and entry fee, lose a couple tournament matches and then get stuck as the higher end and pro players play amongst themselves on a couple TVs. It's either that or they just end up going to a "comfort zone" and playing their friends and people they play all the time. Not necessarily true for LI locals but a lot of the tournaments. This is a common occurrence at tournaments I feel.

But one good part for anyone trying to take the game seriously and improve is that playing in a tournament setting does help because it lets you play under the pressure and forces you to deal with your nerves. In a sense you pay for the experience.

Edit: real talk 10$ venue is kinda fake, I'm a fan of if you bring a full setup you get half venue or full venue off.

prog

One of the most important things is learning how to play under pressure. Friendlies let you hone skill, etc. but when adrenaline is pumping, nerves are wracked it all changes. Money matches are similar but usually not the same extreme as a bracket or pool match when elimination happens if you lose.

Tournaments bring a diversity of players from different settings, different styles even from a player you've sparred with.

That being said, I've always thought that a venue fee should scale with the "importance" of a tournament. A local on LI for one won't bring out top players because of distance constraints. No Johns which consistently provides some of the best in tristate charges the same venue fee with better competition. Not sure if Jared has his hands tied with the venue fee, however, in terms of LI and location, he has a good spot.

The LIRR blows.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
One of the most important things is learning how to play under pressure. Friendlies let you hone skill, etc. but when adrenaline is pumping, nerves are wracked it all changes. Money matches are similar but usually not the same extreme as a bracket or pool match when elimination happens if you lose.

Tournaments bring a diversity of players from different settings, different styles even from a player you've sparred with.

That being said, I've always thought that a venue fee should scale with the "importance" of a tournament. A local on LI for one won't bring out top players because of distance constraints. No Johns which consistently provides some of the best in tristate charges the same venue fee with better competition. Not sure if Jared has his hands tied with the venue fee, however, in terms of LI and location, he has a good spot.

The LIRR blows.

Agreed. Not to mention that you get money off No Johns venue for bringing a setup.

Top Bottom