• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

The Lone Hunter

Alan47

Smash Rookie
Alan47 submitted a new guide:

The Lone Hunter - A Samus Character Guide

The cosmos... in the vast universe, the history of humanity is but a flash light from a lone star. The life of a single person should be lost in space and time. But among the stars there is one light that burns brighter than all others - the ligth of Samus Aran.

~ Metroid Prime Intro ~

Welcome to the Samus Aran character guide!

Introduction
Samus has been my main character in Smash all the way back since the N64. She is probably the character...
Read more about this guide...

Mr.Morph

Smash Rookie
It may be important to know, that Samus gains a small amount of height from the explosion of her Down-B Bomb.
I love to use it in order to land safely.

Adaption of the move:
When in mid-air: Down-B, horizontal movement(Left or right), Down-B (Immediately after re-transforming from morph ball), move to the opposite direction into your first dropped bomb.
The Bomb will explode more or less exactly when you get there, so you gain a bit height. Now you can actually move immediately to the second Bomb.
It will give you another height gain.
Mix it up for maximal profit.:D
It's actually VERY easy, if you get the hang out of it.
(I'm sorry for small mistakes. English is not my native language:)

Alan47

Smash Rookie
That's an interesting technique. I can imagine that it could be useful to cover the horizontal space to reach the platform again with an Up-B. This reduces the disadvantage of Up-B, as you can't cover much horizontal space with it. Nice idea, I'll need to give this a shot, but I imagine that the timing could be too hard to get right, especially in the heat of battle.

I've also got a few more tips for you Samus players out there, that I learned from watching various YouTube channels (I don't recall their names, sorry about that...)

Low Jumps
Samus can make extrordinary use of the low-jump technique. Basically you just press the jump button very briefly for a jump that barely covers any vertical distance. The reason for that is the combo potential you gain from being in the air. It takes a bit of practice to reliably pull this move off, but it does work for all characters, so it's worth your time.

Mid-Air-Grapple
The mid-air grapple has more potential than I thought. Do a low jump, then go for the mid-air grapple. The grapple beam will shoot towards your opponent, and stagger them if they are hit. Well, we all knew that before. However, since you did a low jump, landing on the ground will cancel the ending lag of your grapple beam, allowing you to act almost immediately. A very nice follow-up is to simply use the grapple beam on the ground again to grab your opponent. With the right timing, this combos very well and produces "free" grab maneuvers. The best part of this is that you are hardly ever open to attacks. So the overall combo is: Face your opponent -> Low Jump -> Mid-Air Grapple -> Land -> Grapple -> Pummel -> Pummel -> throw.

Low Jump + Down Air
Performing a low jump only to produce a down-air might seem counter-intuitive, but it really isn't. Just as with the grapple, you are hardly ever left open for attacks. The hitbox of the down-smash (which has decent attack priority by the way) will protect you from attacks most of the time. If you manage to hit your opponent, your attack will be cancelled by landing on the ground. The situation now is that you are standing and facing your opponent, while they bounce off the ground and are "floating" in front of you for a split second, unable to do anything (including air-dodge!). This allows you to get in a charge beam hit, or a forward smash, or anything else that strikes you fancy. Plus, if you use this for edge-guarding, you might even score a meteor smash once in a while.

Top Bottom