• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The link wall

Tubs_linkstar

Smash Rookie
well .. i dont know if some of you link mains have noticed ... but does it feel like youve hit a wall with link. ive been maining link 64 .. but as far as brawl link goes .. i cant see how i could ge tany better with him than what i am now. i could improve on my zair edgeguard and gale guard .. but it feels like i need to take up another main to compete with those top tier characters. Im leaning more towards keeping link as a main and have a counter pick character for those that give him trouble. but as i said it feels like ive reached a limit with him ... not 100 percent sure.

link takes creativity and i know theres potential to bring him to ahigher level .. i was just wondering if anyone else knows what i mean buy .. hitting that wall *

D

Deleted member

what you are experiencing is called a placement in the tier list

but seriously you will hit a wall with link because that is just how brawl was created, to be shallow and not for tourney players.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
I dunno, I am beating my brother's wolf now, and I wasn't a few days ago. Maybe you just need to play against better peeps, or different characters.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
what you are experiencing is called a placement in the tier list

but seriously you will hit a wall with link because that is just how brawl was created, to be shallow and not for tourney players.
Hardly. The metagame will never be as in depth as melee's I will give you that. But to say brawl will not be competitve is totally false. Most people hate brawl because there isn't as much **** to exploit at the moment...

It has a lot of potential a lot of people are blind to...

D

Deleted member

if you didnt know, i'm not anti brawl, i love brawl and hope that we dont go back to melee (i wouldnt be against going to melee either lol...)

I'm saying the truth, we have been shafted by sakurai this time around

this game was not meant to be a competitive game, brawl was meant to be a party game

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
I had a friend just like that who mained Link his name is lord HDL I think he is the best link in melee and he told me the same that he got 100% with link on melee and that is why he moved to marth in order to keep competity against other characters. He always placed 1st on any PR tournament and I played M2k marth and it was practically the same. I even think he was better than the Germ.

I think he has a Link guide(melee) on the boards try to look for it. He is now Using MK.

But yes If u want you can move to Toon Link for counterpick or main TL is good.

D

Deleted member

....trevyn is the best.....

and this wall is what separates REAL link mains from "fake" link mains

if you are a real link main that actually mained him since sbb64 one game will not discourage you enough to change mains, you might pick up a top tier secondary but real link mains will always main him and keep pushing him as far as he can go

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
if you didnt know, i'm not anti brawl, i love brawl and hope that we dont go back to melee (i wouldnt be against going to melee either lol...)

I'm saying the truth, we have been shafted by sakurai this time around

this game was not meant to be a competitive game, brawl was meant to be a party game
I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the general competitive scene as a whole doesn't seem to accept brawl as well. The game just needs time to develop and people need to move away from Melee.

It can happen, we just need to hope people will come around.

D

Deleted member

the competitive scene will follow the cash flow

if MLG says it will sponsor brawl, people will play brawl, in the end competitive players will play for cash

once MLG or even EVO (if they get their act straight T_T) sponsor a game, its the final word for the community

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
To crack that wall as Link you must practice and play on stages that Link is able to recover onto. Unfortunately most of the neutral stages are horrible for him. Although your best bet is Yoshi's stage. Otherwise, Bridge of Eldin, Green greens, etc. Any stage Link can recover back onto brings him up one tier. Break the wall that way.

foolmasterz

Smash Apprentice
I am constantly getting better with Link. I have always mained him, and always will because of that reason. Just need practice. i know ive hit a wall with jigglypuff lol. but link is such a unique character because he is balenced and with all his projectiles, im always finding new things to do. No, ive not hit a "wall"

Skler

Smash Master
I'm not a real Link main because I also like winning. Shame on me!

Fanboyism is great, but if you second a character for Link's harder matchups you hardly ever play Link in real matches. And yes, you do hit a wall pretty quickly in Brawl, lol. At least for me it feels that way, probably because there's so little to work on aside from "mindgames" that don't work because the game is so slow.

I might get my wii back pretty soon and go on WiTry just to see if anyone has really advanced (although Wifi is terrible for real competition). I guess I'll see how it all goes at the Melee/Brawl tournaments...

D

Deleted member

I'm not a real Link main because I also like winning. Shame on me!
I never said that winning didnt make you a "real" link main, but if you've claimed that you've mained link since ssb64 and you just now realize that link is garbage and you are changing mains don't waste your breath telling us because we will main link even if he's M2 version 2

As for me, there is no wall. There's a door, and only certain people have the key to unlock it and proceed.... LOL Very weird analogy. But it makes a point.
that analogy is actually really true, the key consists of dedication, experience against the best smashers and changes in the metagame

Tubs_linkstar

Smash Rookie
ugh i never said i was gonna change mains just wondering if it would be a good idea to pick up a shared main to handle characters that counter pick link. trust me i stick up for link all the time .. all the people sayin hes trash and i have to show em otherwise. But at the moment i cant seem to improve him .. and what seems to be the problem to me is my lack of "brawl" comprehension... like brawls incredible advantage to defensive players. so perhaps if i would improve fundamental skills i could be better... but like i said right now i feel like i hit the wall and havent really improved at all in the last 3 days or so .. as oppose to when i first got brawl a few weeks ago and was improving everyday.

if anyone would like to play me and evaluate my link id really appreciate ... maybe give me some pointers too my Fc is 2793 1069 4799

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Ugh I've been playing Marth, Falco and Snake lately..

Please tell me he uses "HDL" and not "Lord."
His name is Lord HDL. He was one of the Link mains that helped shape the Link metagame when Melee first came out.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
TC,

I feel the same way you do. Link options are not great and his main weakness (his recovery) is such a great weakness. You have to control the stage selected and counter pick characters if you want to use Link in tournaments.

Most likely the best you're going to do is impress people at a good tournament with Link.

Maybe Link can do well in teams with Link since it's more hectic so an opponent focusing on gimping Link's recovery may be interupted.

Skler,

I like winning, placing well, or at least making an impression too. Don't feel bad, I don't main Brawl Link either. Though I might play him in friendlies.

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
eh whatever play whoever you have fun with, I'm not much of a fan of brawl but I'm diggin Link and theres so many things i have to master/understand with him that he's fun to me, and if you guys don't have fun with Link and he's to much of a pain to play thats fine to play someone else whatever, if you decided to come back to the link forums after changing characters and want to go back to link thats fine too. at first i thought Link was horrible(well he still is lol) i was a Fox main at first then i switched to like every character in the game for awhile didn't have a real main but it took me awhile to understand the functions of brawl coming from melee, I still don't understand it but I understand alot more then i did so now anyone seems playable to me and now that i know whats going on and what to do, i play Link.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
HDL mained Marth in the later years of playing Melee. In Brawl he is maining MK. That's why you're not getting much from him as Link.

GERM is maining Wolf. You can find videos of him playing, but just not as Link.

Skiba D

Smash Rookie
Teh...

Hitting a wall with link has never been a problem with me. Hell, IMO Link is better then his melee counterpart since his is anti-approach game is rock solid. I fight against a lot of aggro players(Juggalo's Wolf is a great example), and because of that I've learned to treat link as a killer *** tank if anything else. Lets not mention all the neat little tricks that allow link so shift between tanking and aggro.

Creativity and versatility FTW bruv.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Yes he uses Marth on melee and MK on Brawl. He told me he changed to marth cause it was getting hard to win tournaments to many fox sheik falco etc. but he still would **** anyine with link he was the best link in melee period.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
I find that Link is similar to Snake in that you need to use your brain a lot and be creative on a regular basis. Link has relatively few AT's that make up any large portion of his game. Link is all about spacing and stage control. You can't just camp like you can with Toon Link, Falco ,or Pit; you have to constantly adapt to the opponents style and think up a way to deal with it. You must outwit the opponent to win, which make Link a tough character to play as.

Top Bottom