• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks trailer Impressions

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1328]The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks trailer Impressions[/drupal]

I was skimming Wii fanboy today when my eyes suddenly passed a post about the trailer for a new Zelda title. A smile appeared on my face when I saw that Nintendo was actually going to make a real game for once! None of that "Wii (insert thing here)" crap. But a real game from one of their real franchises! However, I was a bit disheartened when I saw that it was called "The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks." "****..." I said silently, "... don't tell me Nintendo is trying to make a casual Zelda title." To me, Spirit Tracks sounds like some kind of racing Spin-off along the lines of Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing that they would make to target a non-gamer audience. But I watched to trailer anyway, after all, you never know.

So a few seconds into the trailer, I suddenly hear a train whistle go off and then an image of a train going along some tracks. "Trains in Zelda? Kind of odd but I'll roll with it." I thought, willing to accept just about anything at this point. Then they showed Link conducting it. "No." I thought, "just no." I watched the rest of the video, and it appeared that you would use Link in a train to get around. Oh, there was still going to be dungeon crawling all that stuff that a Zelda game is supposed to be about, but the train... just... no! Okay, so in Windwaker you had a boat. Fair enough, the first Zelda was based around the idea of exploration anyway. So a boat would make sense. Then we had the wolf in Twilight Princess, I thought that this was pretty cool, personally. And they pulled it off really well. But now we have a train... I just can't see how they're going to pull this off. If you're in a train, it kind of restrains you from exploration, you know?

I noticed that the game had the same graphical style as Phantom Hourglass (by the way, this game is going to be on the DS), so they must be using the same engine. I don't own a DS, and I never played Phantom Hourglass. So I'm not sure what to say on that matter. But I'm going to end this brief impressions post like this: the whole "Link conducting a train" thing feels really out of place in both storyline and Zelda's technology level. But on an interesting note, while I find this to be really odd and out of place I thought the idea for a cyberpunk/futuristic Zelda (coming from this April fools vid from a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvdT2C31oc ) was a cool idea. Oh, and if you want to watch the trailer for the new game it can be found here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/25/gdc09-watch-the-legend-of-zelda-spirit-tracks-in-action/

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
First off, I would like to agree that FFIX was so much more fun than FFVII.

Now that being said...

Nintendo always has its ways of surprising its fans. We thought Wind Waker's cel-shading wasnt enough, and Link being a wolf wouldnt be so hot. But these things always end up having more to it. Trains in a Zelda game only says that they are moving forward, yet keeping the magical, medieval essence of the series.

It may sound redundant, but odds are, that is a working title, and the train exploration can actually bring more action into the series, such as train raids, races, and what not.

But those who will react "But...TRAINS?!" fail to realize what makes a Zelda game a Zelda game. So far, each Zelda game has brought something completely random and unique. The Three Days system of Majora's Mask, The Four Swords system from Adventures, to name a few. Train exploration can add something new. It may not be a dynamic title such as Twilight Princess, but we can always trust Nintendo with a Zelda sequel. ♥

Scott!

Smash Lord
The train thing isn't that out of place. The games have shown technological progress over time. The Oracle games had mine carts in them. Twilight Princess has things like the giant cannons and the spinner and puzzles, plus the Goron mines. The WW world is a bit behind, but then again, worldwide flooding can slow down technology. Also, if it is another sequel after PH, then Link & co. could come across a world with more technology than Hyrule. Or it could take place in the future or something.

As for how much the train thing restricts freedom of exploration, the clip of the map showed a fairly complex grid, and that could just be a fraction of the world. Something tells me it'll be fairly sizeable, and rarely with only one way from place to place once you get going. It has real potential; the question that remains is if they can deliver on that potential.

D

Deleted member

Trains? Seems like a strange idea but I'll take it I suppose...10trains

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
They can make a bigger world map while not having to fill it up with as much stuff at the same time.

Mideaval Shining Time Station Zelda with trains sound kinda stupid, but we'll see how it goes as more stuff comes out about it.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
So far, it doesn't look to appealing... I hate being restrained to these random vehicles to explore. :/

bobson

Smash Lord
My initial reaction was "LOL TRAINS."
Later thoughts included such musings as "Hahaha he even has a conductor's outfit and everything," and "Well, you all wanted a steampunk Zelda."

Looks like it could be fun, though. You never know with Nintendo.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I wouldn't mine a steampunk Zelda, just so long as there was a tun of emphasis on the whole "steam technology" theme rather than just have Link go around in a silly-lookin' train. Basically, this guy hit what I think a steampunk Zelda should look like:

EPIC STEAMPUNK LINK!
Now THAT is smexy.

Steambot Chronicles meets Legend of Zelda. Too good ♥

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I have steambot chronicles.

And my friends and I have always wanted a Steampunk Zelda.
I do hope for it :)

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
LOL TRAINS!!!1!11!

Okay, now that that's out of the way, this looks interesting. The title "Spirit Tracks" implies that the train has some sort of ethereal quality. Haunted trains are pretty sweet, imo (remembers FF3). If it was like that, the tracks would probably change around in some strange way too. For a second there, I thought this was going to be a Wii title, but DS is okay too. I'd get this.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
LOL TRAINS!!!1!11!

Okay, now that that's out of the way, this looks interesting. The title "Spirit Tracks" implies that the train has some sort of ethereal quality. Haunted trains are pretty sweet, imo (remembers FF3). If it was like that, the tracks would probably change around in some strange way too. For a second there, I thought this was going to be a Wii title, but DS is okay too. I'd get this.
That is what I've gotten out of it.

This isn't a dynamic title, nor was Phantom Hourglass, or any of the portable Zelda games. Nintendo knows what to do and not what to do with a Zelda.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman

I'm surprised at this stage, after being disproven so many times, that people doubt Nintendo each and every time they change a series with a new idea - one which they prove works when it is finally released.

I consider it a far greater risk to call the idea a flop waiting to happen than I would to call it a brilliant idea woven beautifully into the game.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
Trains were invented not long after steamboats(which were in Phantom Hourglass)...

Whatever. I think it will be great.

Geist

Smash Master
hmmm, I can't say I like the title. Spirit tracks doesn't have that certain "ring" to it.
Like was mentioned, a ghost train sounds like it has supernatural powers. I wouldn't be surprised what a little creativity could do with a concept like that. It opens up LOADS of possibilities.
Then again, Nintendo hasn't exactly beem brimming with creativity lately...

Oh well. It's a zelda game. I'll end up getting it because I have to and stuff. **** YOU MARKETING

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Yea, I assumed it was working title, but I guess they are set on it. I mean, you can only be so creative with a subtitle being locomotive-related.
♥

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord

I'm surprised at this stage, after being disproven so many times, that people doubt Nintendo each and every time they change a series with a new idea - one which they prove works when it is finally released.

I consider it a far greater risk to call the idea a flop waiting to happen than I would to call it a brilliant idea woven beautifully into the game.
You win the thread! :laugh::laugh:

D

Deleted member

I'm still thinking "What the ****? Trains?" I dunno, I just don't like trains...

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I'm actually looking forward to this, and it will probably end up being my third Zelda game.

The train idea doesn't seem that bad as long as they give you an option to travel on foot as well. However, this may just be me, but does the Spirit Tracks refer to the train, or those green glowing lines that Link uses to move objects?

Forgive me if it says this in the trailer, I watched it without sound.....

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Im skeptical about trains...BUT i AM a zelda fan so odds are ill get it anyways >_>. EDIT: BTW can someone tell me how it looks like? Is it toon link? My computer doesnt want to acknowledge utube's existence >_>.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Im skeptical about trains...BUT i AM a zelda fan so odds are ill get it anyways >_>. EDIT: BTW can someone tell me how it looks like? Is it toon link? My computer doesnt want to acknowledge utube's existence >_>.
Yea it's Celda Link. rofl

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Phantom Hourglass was a great game, and I loved everything about it, however, if they've taken out the whole free exploration part out of the game, well, It can't be as good. Watching the trailer though, it does look a bit like you have some freedom on the train, either that or its a puzzle bit (which I doubt).

Still, looking forward to this. As long as the dungeon thing is kept, Its gonna be good.

JOE!

Smash Hero
you guys are complaining about trains...when i belive the....second boss? sounds right... In Majora's Mask was a giant Robotic Bull

D

Deleted member

But dude, they're TRAINS. Giant robotic bulls are at least manly.

D

Deleted member

Maybe Link can be a cartoony conductor with one of those hats...

Top Bottom