• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ledge and the stalling rule

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
So, I know this is probably not the coolest way of playing, but I don't quite understand why a Puff with a lead would ever approach a fox that's doing the hardcore laser camping thing if puff can just hang from the ledge and time him out or at the very least for an approach?

Would this be breaking the stalling rule or is it just something people don't do because it's percieved as lame and whatnot

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I was watching HBox vs M2K (ROM7) and it seemed like it might have been advantageous if Hbox was up a stock and already at kill percent to just hang on the ledge.

I don't think it's against the rules since puff isn't really invincible the whole time. If it's legal for sheik to do it, then its definitely legal for puff.

Although I have been wondering: what if a puff lands a sing on an opponent that is around 60% and keeps singing them until the match ends ? lol

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
I recall that that particular tactic most definitely falls under the stalling rule.

But yeah, seriously, if we have a camping fox and a camping jiggs who's to say one of them is stalling for not approaching, it is an extremely favourable thing if a jiggs can force Fox to approach, so why not do it?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I don't always do it because at 100+ it's easy to see what the fox is thinking and I can sometimes bait and punish usmash. You're right though, I think the reason most people don't is because it's perceived as lame.

Massive

Smash Champion
It is lame, don't do it.

If you win from a time-out/extensive ledgestalling you didn't beat your opponent, you beat the clock.

Zhea

Smash Ace
If you think you can win by doing that, and your goal is to win, then do it. It doesn't fall under the stall rule, because while it is risky to stop, it's not impossible to stop, such as the luigi ladder, soul stunner, etc. It's also not as strong as people think it is, but that's another point entirely.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
It is lame, don't do it.

If you win from a time-out/extensive ledgestalling you didn't beat your opponent, you beat the clock.
As true as that may be I have to admit that I'm quite ready to try and out-lame a camping Fox player.

Massive

Smash Champion
If you think you can win by doing that, and your goal is to win, then do it.
Despite my profound disgust for this style of play, I do agree. Just make sure you are ready for the other person to feel cheated (or to retaliate with something even worse).

As true as that may be I have to admit that I'm quite ready to try and out-lame a camping Fox player.
Good luck. Every lame thing puff can do, fox can do better (including stalling).

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Despite my profound disgust for this style of play, I do agree. Just make sure you are ready for the other person to feel cheated (or to retaliate with something even worse).

Good luck. Every lame thing puff can do, fox can do better (including stalling).
I don't neccesarily plan on stalling the clock, I just want to use the clock to force an approach out of a laser camper (:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
God forbid someone finally just do it and cause a ledge stall rule to be enforced or otherwise advanced the metagame cause someone figures out how to beat it.

Top Bottom