• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U The laziest way to unlock Customs/Equipment/Costumes

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Smash Tour.

Smash Tour seems to give a random assortment of Coin, Equipment, Customs, and Mii Costume pieces just for finishing a play through. The best part is, you only time you MUST play is when Target Blast or Home Run Contest come up.

Set Up:
  • Normal Sized Map (seems to have the least amount of battles when the AI controls movement)
  • 15 turns (the minimum)
  • 4 human players (only if you're going to control them to avoid fights/speed up fights)
Keep the Wii U tablet handy so you can easily check it for Home Run or Target Smash. Those are the only two events I've seen that will wait forever for you. All other events will time out. The game mode literally plays itself otherwise.

Having a controller that can be set up to repeatedly press A for you will speed on the process greatly if you're doing 1 player and ignoring it. You'll miss out on the results screen for what you earned, but it should save a minute or three off each smash tour and you won't need to check for home run contest. Target Smash will still wait for you, sadly.

Ways to speed it up (while only paying a little attention to the game):
  • With 4 human players - set one to AI control when a battle starts (press X on the pre-battle screen). The AI won't kill particularly fast and may even Self-Destruct, but most of the time it will finish the match faster than waiting for a time out.
  • With 4 human players - have 3 of the controllers handy and self-destruct them for matches
  • 4 human players - intentionally avoid having them run into each other so you don't see combat at all
  • Single Player - Actually play, but only for moving around the board
  • Rapid Fire controller for A button

How are the Customs/Equipment/Costumes/Trophies/Tickets awarded?
Repeated runs have so far lead to one consistency:
  • You are randomly awarded 18 to 25 prizes
That's it. Round number and personal performance don't appear to effect your winnings in the slightest, meaning 15 rounds (minimum) is always ideal. Generally the prizes will look like this:
  • 2-7 trophies
  • 4-12 items from a mix of Equipment, Customs, Hats, and Costumes
  • 0-2 Master's Order Passes
  • 100 gold as 1 prize (so if you got 20 total prizes consisting of 4 trophies, 4 items, ans 2 passes, you would see 10 gold prizes for a total of 1,000 gold)
Doing well does increase your reward slightly. In a 15 round 4 player match intentionally getting in to fights every turn and making sure to always get KO's (instead of self destructs) was providing 6-10 extra prizes plus some loose coin (coin values were ending in values like 74 instead of 00). This is useful if you're trying to rush rewards by manually controlling and speeding up the tour 4 player.

Equipment (aka badges) tend to be Low-Mid quality. This can actually be a good thing if you're looking for a special trait on equipment (like Smooth Lander) but don't want it to influence stats quite so heavily.

Completely ignoring a 15 turn play through takes ~25 minutes solo, but you only actually need to check on it to start a fresh run or to make sure it's not waiting for you to act in Home Run or Target Smash modes.

UPDATE:
Rapid Fire A will NOT get you out of Target Blast unless your character has enough reach with jab to hit the bomb (most don't). You might be able to avoid this by anchoring your stick to the right to force them to approach the bomb while jabbing.

Last edited:
It's an interesting method, to be sure. Having a passive method of acquisition is really nice.

Do you have any hard numbers on # of items per run? It sounds like there is a lot of variance, but an average through all your runs maybe?

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
It's an interesting method, to be sure. Having a passive method of acquisition is really nice.

Do you have any hard numbers on # of items per run? It sounds like there is a lot of variance, but an average through all your runs maybe?
So far I've been going on the theory that the item chances are Trophy, Equipment, Custom, Mii Costume item, Master's Order Pass, or 100 gold.

The last few runs with 1 player and 3 AI has resulted in 19 to 24 rewards from a Normal 15 turn game.

Trophies awards have been 4-6
Equipment + Costumes + Customs 8-12*
Gold 600-1000 (so 6 to 10 gold prizes)
Master's Order Pass 0-2

*Customs and Costumes seem to be included with the equipment roll. Getting ONLY equipment always means more equipment than if customs or costume pieces were awarded.

So as of right now, playing Smash Tour gives you a semi-random amount of freebies just for participating. I have yet to find any consistencies beyond the range of rewards for a 15 round game.

Theory for complete auto mode:
A controller with turbo mode set on the A button. Would that work?
It would speed up certain areas:
  • Item Selection (map and battles)
  • Rolling for movement
  • Wouldn't need to check on it for Home Run and Target Blast
You would still be delayed by not moving across the board. There's no one direction you can hold to always make your Mii auto move, unfortunately.

You'd also have to watch out for it auto completing the mode after the final battle. I'm not sure about the menu position on exit, but in theory you would go right back in to another one.

So yes, a rapid fire A could potentially fully automate the process to the point of leaving it on overnight. I'll see how it works with the rapid fire classic controller I have. My biggest concern is the wii remote turning off, but that shouldn't happen if there is a constant button input.

I'm also curious if doing X would get it to have a computer player sub for you or if A would overwrite it and make you play.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
If you have amiibo, setting it for long stock matches or timed battles against CPUs while you do other stuff will unlock things as well.

I have tested this out and the longer the match goes the more it earns. This makes sense, but I had to test it to make sure because some games don't let you do this.

Last edited:

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Why 4 players over 1 player plus 3 AI?
Only if you're going to control them to avoid fights and speed speed up fights. You can get through a smash tour pretty quick if you intentionally keep them from running into each other and suicide the players any time a fight breaks out, including the final match.

You can get it done in under 10 minutes by manual control instead of it taking 20+ from ignoring it.

Updated the main post to be more clear about that. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
But if you can fully automate it, I think it might be worth it to just use CPUs.
Can't get it to loop by itself, sadly. Actually starting the match requires a + input to continue from map/turn selection and again from Mii selection. There's no simple way to macro that, as putting a + on rapid fire would end up pausing the match constantly.

Rapid fire A does speed up certain areas that would normally need to time out. Rolling for moves, selecting item each turn (by not selecting an item), and going through battle readying should a fight start. It should also avoid the home run and target smash hang up. So it's the best choice.

On average it was taking about 23 minutes to complete a 15 turn game, so I'll run it a few times with rapid fire A and see how much time is shaved off.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Keep us updated
Main post has been updated with the latest range of values.

After 2 days of running smash tour on and off while I'm doing other things around the house, the results are shaping up to be pretty consistent. Running 25 turns has only produced more prizes over a 15 turn game ONCE when I did it with 4 human players. Almost all of the prizes were Gold (2100!). I have not seen a weird prize spread like that again... even doing 25 round single player still seems to give 19-25 prizes.

On a positive note, I've collected something like 140 unique custom moves already from this. Which is great for pressing maybe 5 buttons every 25 minutes. :)

I have one more major test to try (which I'll be doing on 11/26) to see if there is any reliable change in the prizes for running 4 human players. So more info to come tomorrow night!

UPDATE:
4 Human players ignored gives the same rewards as 1 human and 3 CPU.
However, specifically controlling all 4 players to throw fights and get KO's does give 6-10 extra rewards in a 15 turn Tour. Since it appears to be performance based, you may get more on a 25 turn tour. However, you should still get more rewards on average doing repeated 15 turns instead of more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom