• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Largest Arms in the World

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Although though you did put some amount of work in developing your powers idea, I'm afraid it is still quite "gimmicky" and complicated to have as 1st hand knowledge for players that just want to simply play Smash Brothers. Since the game will just be coming out, people will just want to play in simple tournaments to have fun/ find out their main/playstyle/ how to learn how to be good and would rather not deal with extra baggage that could inhibit that concentration.

Also the powers, I have to debate, create many frustration factors in actual tournaments that could lead to complicating situations. As Glyph mentioned one of them, Being forced to fight a person you won against already is unfair and they're allowed too because they played more tournaments. Being able to make yourself late 20 minutes to a tournament would cause EVERYONE to wait 20 minutes, causing frustrations on to why a tournament isn't starting. What reason could you give to satisfy them, because they spend some points that allows them to do whatever they want?

Granted those could be hypothetical powers you posted, and if so I apologize for not finding out if they are, but those suggested powers should never be allowed in any sort of tournament that would foster competitive spirit. Maybe having a point system where it rewards players for entering many tournaments/ winning/ being active in the communities with seasonly prizes would be better, as it would encourage players to play in tournaments and play MORE and would help the OTL community grow.
I appreciate your feedback/constructive criticism. :) The powers I posted were posted mainly as suggestions as for what to do with the BP earned in tournaments. To be honest, I like your idea of what to use BP for better the more I look at my long winded post. Rewarding regulars here with cool prizes every now and then depending on how many points they accumulated sounds much better than my gimmicky power idea ever was and I hope once OTL picks up more steam and there are 3DS/Wii U online tournaments. Still it wasn't a god awfully bad idea, but again rewarding players with points they can save up for the occasional prize like gift cards, digital copies of newer games, etc sounds much more rewarding as an incentive to participate in hindsight!

I appreciate your feedback/constructive criticism. :) The powers I posted were posted mainly as suggestions as for what to do with the BP earned in tournaments. To be honest, I like your idea of what to use BP for better the more I look at my long winded post. Rewarding regulars here with cool prizes every now and then depending on how many points they accumulated sounds much better than my gimmicky power idea ever was and I hope once OTL picks up more steam and there are 3DS/Wii U online tournaments. Still it wasn't a god awfully bad idea, but again rewarding players with points they can save up for the occasional prize like gift cards, digital copies of newer games, etc sounds much more rewarding as an incentive to participate in hindsight!
I do respect that you put in the time to try and make the OTL grow with very creative incentives , as it has been quite dead I hear from offtalk. I'm sure you will be a driving force by bringing in activity and a fun environment for players to enjoy in the community later down in the short future. Enough pleasantries! Going into the prize topic, I do fear it can be quite costly to maintain the rewards, even though they would be handed out in a long time interval. If you're suggesting to be handing out and supply the rewards, I do ask that you keep it generous and to please give out rewards that won't cause you any trouble ( I won't ask anything about your financial status as I believe I already rudely tread in a personal topic by insinuating you to be in any sort trouble).

On the topic of the way to set up the system used on the types of tournaments , maybe have 2 types of tournaments. We can have an official and upfront tournament that hands out BP and possible small prizes, and creative fun tournaments where you could come up with ways to twist expectations on a tournament that would be just for fun. Right now, I'd say having the 1st type for a good while would be the preferred choice and then start bringing in "fun" concepts to change up how we play.

If you'd like to talk more or suggest an idea, PM me as I feel we are bogging up the boards right now.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The tournaments are starting but where are the homies? :(

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
I haven't been on this site in a few days aside from updating the thread for my upcoming tournament "Girl Power #1: War of the Demi-Goddesses" as needed and whoah, the 3DS version of Smash 4 seems to have been the shock to the heart OTL needed all along! I believe its safe to say by now that this section of the forums is officially back in business! May it have a lengthy and most importantly healthy run over the next 5 or so years once more! I expect the Wii U version to be like a potent steroid shot that will really kick OTL into high gear so to speak once its out.

With that out of the way, I've been thinking over my BP idea revising things in my head as I go and I think I might finally have a solid plan of what to do with BP. I've been thinking about a rewards system and I think I finally have a working beta of my vision.

But before I can get to that, I've got another idea that's been formulating in my head over the past few days. This isn't as refined so bear with me :p I've been thinking about a possible team/crew battles system for OTL. This idea of course would tie directly into BP obviously, but how BP for an OTL team/crew would work a bit differently for obvious reasons.

Below is a rules/guidelines idea I'm making up as I go. If you have any suggestions that are reasonable, please let me know.

OTL Team/Crew Rules and Guidelines:

"It's dangerous to go alone. Join a team/crew today!"

1. First and foremost, you are not required to join a team/crew here on OTL if that isn't your thing.

2. If you do want to join a team/crew or even make your own, that's great, the more the merrier I say! However, there are a few rules and guidelines you should at least read up on before joining or making your own team/crew

• A. Teams/Crews are like family the same way you and a group of friends/colleagues are considered "family". Therefore, joining an OTL team/crew or making your own is a commitment in that its your responsibility to stay active and keep up with your new family. It is up to the leader(s) to keep up with all aspects of their team/crew including updating the roster as people both come and go, (hey it happens.) keeping track of Team/Crew Battles won and lost, handling all transactions related to Group Battle Points, etc.

• B. Teams/Crews are allowed up to a maximum of 15 members at any given time. 5 can be active in any given Team/Crew Battle at any given time with the other members that are not chosen being on reserve just in case one fails to show up for a Team/Crew battle. I advise the leader(s) of the team/crew to keep up to date how many members you have along with routinely swap active members after every successful battle so that everyone can get a fair chance to shine . Once the limit has been reached, no more members can be allowed to join your team/crew until a spot opens up of course. Sign ups for a team/crew are first come first serve.

• C. Adding on to B; you are allowed to be active in one team/crew at any given time.

• D. When making a new team/crew, keep these three guidelines in mind.

• D2: Name your team/crew something sensible. Nothing stupid like "I Did Your Mum" or downright inappropriate like "Heil Hitler: Modern Day Nazis" and make sure its a name easy to remember and is short and to the point. No "XXX_HaRdCoRE SuhMaSHerZ_GiT ReKt N00b_XXX" Try "Seasoned Smashers" instead :)When you are done creating your crew, make a post in this thread letting the rest of us know and so this thread can be updated.

• D3: As far as advertising your team/crew goes, putting something like "Interested in joining an OTL crew? PM me for more info about the Iron Wolves" in your signature is fine. Blatantly advertising your team/crew is NOT fine! Example: "HEY GUYZ YOU SHOULD TOTALLY LIKE JOIN MY OTL TEAM"

• D4: As team/crew leader, it is your responsibility to keep up to date on all that happens in your team/crew such as wins/losses and how much BP your group has as well as update the roster as people come and go. You can appoint up to 4 other members in your team/crew to help you run things. i.e you could perhaps make someone in charge of video footage of any battles you participate in for example or assign a treasurer to handle all things GBP related.

• E. You are allowed to make an emblem for your team as visual representation for your team/crew is useful for those in touch with the visual side of their brains and is much easier for some than remembering a mere name. Again, nothing offensive/inappropriate should be in your team/crew emblem. No huge *** emblems either. They should be a size appropriate for the forums. If you need an idea of the length for images allowed, I would suggest getting in contact with one of the admins who run SmashBoards like WarChamp7 or simply read the rules and guidelines for SmashBoards. If you or any of your friends lack artistic skills, feel free to PM me with a lengthy enough description of what exactly you want in your emblem and I will try to match to those specifications as best I can.

• F. Now its time to get to the meat and bones of Team/Crews. BATTLES!!!! What good is joining/making a team/crew if you can't battle with other teams/crews? Once there are at least a few teams/crews that have been formed and are ready to battle, Team/Crew Battles will commence! Starting one is simple, there will be a thread dedicated to OTL Teams/Crews complete with a list of which members are a part of which team/crew. This very thread will in addition to listing various teams will also double as a rankings thread. so you can know which teams/crews are good and which would be on your team/crew's skill level. PM the leader of the opposing team and challenge them to a team/crew battle. If both he/she and the leader of your team (unless you are said leader) agree, a team/crew battle shall begin!

• G. Continuing from F, name the terms and conditions of your battle. i.e best 3 out of 5 overall with each battle consisting of one member from your team and one member from the opposing team battling to the best 3 out of 5. As team/crew leader, you and the leader of the opposing team should try to match up your team/crew mates in a way that's as fair as can be. i.e don't send your strongest member against the opposing teams weakest member and vice versa. More rules (that are reasonable) should be decided upon before the team/crew battle starts (set up a reasonable time for both parties and be sure to PM everybody in your team/crew of this development well in advance.)

• H. Regarding Battle Points, you will be given 500 Group Battle Points (GBP) to help get you started upon formation of a new team/crew. Each person who joins your team/crew should be given 20 Individual Battle Points for joining. These points (IBP) are NOT a part of your team/crew's battle points. Individual Battle Points can be earned by placing high enough in a regular old online tournaments or winning a team/crew battle. Group Battle Points can be earned by winning team/crew battles and can be used like an ATM machine to either withdraw or deposit all accrued GBP. IBP and GBP need to kept separate for obvious reasons. Rank Points (RP) are won and lost respectively. 50 RP shall be the standard for winning and 25 RP shall be taken away for every battle lost.

• I. Upon winning a team/crew battle, IBP, GBP and RP will be rewarded. Individual Battle Points will be rewarded to those who participated in the team/crew battle. (no more than 5 members from each team/crew can be in a team/crew battle at any given time. If one member fails to show up, PM up to 5 extra members in your team/crew ahead of time and tell them to be there for the team/crew battle should someone who was originally picked for the battle ends up being a no-show so that the member on reserve can take his place.) Decide ahead of time what you and the leader of the opposing team feel will be fair. (no more than 50 IBP can be rewarded at any given time)

• J. Group Battle Points should be decided on prior to the start of a team/crew battle. No more than 100 GBP should be rewarded at any given time and no less than 50 should be rewarded as well. Exceptions being event weekends and on the rare occasion where you can challenge someone a rank above you.

• K. A tournament thread can be made here in OTL regarding team/crew battles. Things like streaming and a place for all participating and reserve members from each team to chat in should be decided well ahead of time. It is up to the team/crew leader(s) to post the results later on in tournament results.

• L. A possible rankings system would go in descending order from S-Class (special class) all the way down to F-Class. Ascending to a higher ranking would mean either....

• L2: Your Team/Crew achieving enough points to move on to the next rank (though it should be noted you lose points for every team/crew battle that you lose. Particularly 50 points shall be lost for F-Rank battles. On the flip side of the coin, 50 points for F-Rank Battles shall be awarded for every team/crew battle that is won. In the event of well....an event week or weekend, this number shall be tripled, quadrupled, or even quintupled for example)

• L3: OR in very special cases, challenging a team/crew that is a rank above yours. These cases would happen only once in a good long while (i.e during one designated and announced well in advance weekend once every few months). Doing so would let your team/crew level up much faster than usual with more Group Battle Points/Rank Points being at stake than usual. Teams/Crews with a rank of at least B can challenge Teams with either A-Rank or Special Rank to their names at any time.

• M: A rank system for Team/Crew Battles would look something like this.

• Special Rank: "Only the best of the best OTL teams and crews can achieve this rank. A bountiful 10,000 Group Battle Points shall be rewarded upon a team/crew reaching this prestigious rank along with a special emblem to commemorate this once in a lifetime occasion!" Winning a Team/Crew Battle with this rank shall award you 2500 RP and 1000 RP shall be taken away should you lose a team/crew battle. The requirements for S-Rank are as follows;

• 150,000+ Rank Points
    • Your team/crew having a great track record here in OTL: i.e a lot of wins, a lot of great players, being on time for team/crew battles to the best of you and your team/crew mates ability.
    • A "Letter of Recommendation" (A PM from several OTL veterans who all recommend your team/crew for S-Class)

• A-Rank: "This rank recognizes the best, but not the best teams/crews here on OTL. Upon reaching this high level rank, 5,000 Group Battle Points shall be rewarded along with a star with an A on it being added to your team/crew's emblem. " Winning a Team/Crew Battle with this rank shall net you 1,000 RP and 1,500 RP shall be taken away for every team/crew battle lost. Requirements for A-Rank are as follows;

• 110,000-149,999 Rank Points
    • Your team/crew having a good track record here in OTL: i.e A good amount of wins compared to losses in team/crew battles, being punctual to most team/crew battles

• B-Rank: "This rank recognizes the very talented teams/crews who have what it takes to play with the big leagues. Upon reaching this rank, your team/crew will be awarded with 2,500 Group Battle Points and the ability to challenge teams/crews that are either A-Rank or Special-Rank! You will also get a star with a B on it recognizing your group's hard work!" Team/Crew Battles won shall net you 750 RP and 1,200 RP shall be taken away for battles lost. Requirements for B-Rank are as follows;

• 75,000-109,999 Rank Points
    • A solid track record for your team/crew! i.e more wins than losses, being punctual to at least half of all team/crew battles.

• C-Rank: "This rank recognizes better than good teams/crews who show promising potential, but aren't quite ready to play with the big leagues just yet. Upon reaching this rank, 1,000 Group Battle Points shall be awarded." Team/Crew Battles won shall net you 400 RP and 800 RP shall be taken away for battles lost. Requirements for C-Rank are as follows;

• 40,000-74,999 Rank Points

• D-Rank: "This rank recognizes above average teams and crews that may one day have what it takes to challenge the big leagues, but need a lot more practice and experience first! Upon reaching this rank, 500 Group Battle Points are rewarded." 250 RP shall be rewarded for Team/Crew Battles won and 450 RP shall be taken away for battles lost. Requirements for D-Rank are as follows;

• 10,000-39,999 Rank Points

• E-Rank: "This rank recognizes solid teams/crews who know their way around a controller/handheld. Upon reaching this rank, 250 Group Battle Points are rewarded." 175 RP shall be rewarded for Team/Crew Battles won and 350 RP shall be taken away for battles lost. Requirements for E-Rank are as follows;

• 1,000-9,999 Rank Points

• F-Rank: "This rank recognizes new teams/crews that are just starting out and have yet to win anything to their team/crew's name." This rank is automatically given to all new teams/crews. 500 GBP will be given to the leader(s)/treasurer of new teams as a "welcome" gift to help get you started. 60 RP will be awarded for any and all Team/Crew Battles won and 120 shall be taken away for battles lost.

• 0-999 Rank Points
F.A.Q.

Q: What's up with the RP won and lost depending on Team/Crew rank?

A: Risk VS Reward. The higher your team's rank, the more you have at risk when challenging other teams.

Q: How will Group Battle Points and Individual Battle Points be handled?

A: I propose a thread called Battle Points Emporium be made to keep track of individuals and teams with battle points. The OTL Teams/Crews thread shall keep track of Group Battle Points in particular.

Q: Could you describe the process of withdrawing and depositing Group Battle Points?

A: Sure! Group Battle Points are won when a team/crew wins a Team/Crew Battle and automatically deposited in a team/crew's GBP Account. The Team/Crew leader or someone entrusted with treasurer responsibilities is responsible for giving themselves the proper amount of GBP. Likewise, said person is responsible for deducting the appropriate amount of GBP for battles lost. GBP can be withdrawn in exchange for Individual Battle points as long as half of the GBP withdrawn are replaced with the corresponding half of the member's IBP. Say you want 300 GBP and you currently have 750 IBP, you would deduct 150 IBP (600 IBP would be left) as you add 300 GBP to your total of IBP (900 for those keeping track)

Q: Cool, but shouldn't the member of the team/crew who wants some GBP ask the leader/treasurer first?

A: Of course! Those who take without permission or at least notifying beforehand shall be punished by the leader/treasurer with a "3 strikes and you are out" type system. Those with one or two strikes to their name shall have them expired after a 6 month period of time!

1st time: Member is forbidden from participating in the next three Team/Crew Battles

2nd time: Member is temporarily banned from the team/crew (on suspension) for a month!

3rd time: Member is permabanned from the team/crew! No ifs, ands, or buts!

Q: While we are on the topic, what are some other offenses that can land you in hot water with your team/crew?

A: Glad you asked that one! :)

• Breaking rules/guidelines established by SmashBoards

• Being an *** of a leader/treasurer corrupt on his/her own power

• Demanding that you go to war with another Team/Crew when both your leader and the opposing factions team have said NO
Q: What type of rewards will Battle Points be used for?

A: Things like gift cards for now. I'll talk more about this over in the Battle Points Emporium thread that shall be made along with a thread for Teams/Crew Battles following the time this post is posted.

Q: What's this about "Event Weeks" and "Event Weekends"? Also describe in more detail the very rare occasions where those marked C-Class and below can challenge those a rank above?

A: Every now and then (to keep players interested) special weeks or weekends will be set aside where you can double, triple, or even quadruple the amount of points won AND lost depending on your team/crew's rank. I shall dub these "Risk VS Reward" events! Addressing your other question, on VERY RARE occasions, teams/crews with C-Rank or below can challenge a team/crew ONE RANK above them as long as the event in question is in effect and earn Quintuple the normal amount of RP. i.e 100 becomes 500 and 200 becomes 1000 should you lose. Go big or go home! ;)

If you have anymore questions or suggestions you would like to make, reply to this thread or personally PM me. Your choice!

The rest of this post along with the next few posts (if needed) will be reserved for Team/Crew information. Information will be updated as constantly as possible. Team/Crew leaders along with members are in charge of keeping this thread up to date.

Example of what information for a Team/Crew would look like:

[Name]

[Rank]

space reserved for Team/Crew Emblem

Team/Crew Description

Status: (amount of players currently a part of this team/crew, leader(s) of team/crew, amount of current GBP)

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Really? No one else is going to say it? Fine.

tl;dr

I just want to play Smash.
Naughty girl.

But the point about maybe cutting down on post size is a valid one.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
I like how you can now host online tournaments on the Wii U version of smash 4. As long as you have the same options that you do when playing with friends as far as rules/customization goes...this will be a very useful way to host tournaments held in this section of the boards! :)

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Why is everyone's avi in a courtroom
Forums are places you're JUDGED
hey man! been so long HOW ARE YOU. you playing smash 4?!

omg i joined a day before you.
I'm great man, you? It really has been a while. I'm playing yeah, been a weird experience.

Lol, seniority obv

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
@ Barge Barge that was Glyph ha.

Welcome back btw, you'll be pleased to know not everyone is gone. :)

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I have tons of time and I'll be hosting online weeklies peoples. Saturdays and Fridays. Derp, would love to play some of you guys though! I'm also looking for tourneys to enter in… gonna cause mental damage with my Link

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Man I haven't even unlocked a quarter of the customs, and it's all Sakutai's fault

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I've only unlocked those for my mains and then some. I've got no reason to go tediously hunt for more, I hope custom hunting is relatively simpler in the WiiU version.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
k nvm I have power here now

Still need me to unsticky?
Yeah it's the only other stickied thread. I believe ToadsterOven would like to make a new one.
I like how you can now host online tournaments on the Wii U version of smash 4. As long as you have the same options that you do when playing with friends as far as rules/customization goes...this will be a very useful way to host tournaments held in this section of the boards! :)
f'real? That's tight.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Yeah it's the only other stickied thread. I believe ToadsterOven would like to make a new one.
@ ToadsterOven ToadsterOven

Let me know if you're up for the task.

f'real? That's tight.
It's actually one of the "coming soon" features that is planned down the line, similar to the Miiverse stage or Sharing mode.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
@ ToadsterOven ToadsterOven

Let me know if you're up for the task.

It's actually one of the "coming soon" features that is planned down the line, similar to the Miiverse stage or Sharing mode.
Of course! I presume all I have to do is make a thread about the rules and guidelines for running online tournaments, but updated of course regarding certain gameplay elements of smash 4?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I'd say I'm a part of beast-mode crew but I'm too new and I suck sandbag too hard to be a part of it.

It'll probably be a few weeks before I can get the WiiU version.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well its not my fault everyone else doesn't post.

Top Bottom