• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Largest Arms in the World

Chaco

Never Logs In
I just don't know how good I'll be at playing Smash on a 3DS, defs will try though. o_o

Interested to see how 3DS Smash tourneys will turn out, lol.I might actually make appearances know that I'm old enough to travel far enough to a scene. Breathe life into my smash playing.

pickle962

Smash Lord
Hoe-leeeeeeeey crap! This place is ancient! When I first joined these forums about close to 5 years ago, Brawl OT's reproduced like rabbits so to speak. These days however...*dust rolls*. Soon though, I feel this place will rejuvenate with Smash for the 3DS being just over the horizon. That said, I feel there should be a few specific rules in addition to the regular ones.

1. For the first few weeks or month at the bare minimum once the American/European version of the 3DS game is out, I feel customization should be prohibited/discouraged until we have sufficient data on most all custom movesets and a unanimous verdict has been reached on their legality!

2. Regarding the two characters (:4mii:,:4palutena:) who have entirely different special moves for their custom movesets, it should be left in the hands of the TO as to whether they should be banned, or be allowed, but not allowed to use anything besides whatever their standard movesets are (which I assume they would have just like everyone else) until a verdict has been reached on custom movesets legality in competitive play. Another thing, when registering for a tourney and your character of choice is a Mii for the love of god, NO offensive ones i.e Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, Miis with genitalia for a face, etc.

3. Obviously custom gear like shoes that make you run faster, or an outfit for your Mii that makes it harder for us to KO you in battle are banned in OT's. No ifs, ands, or buts! Exceptions being any tournaments that allow for said gear.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Yeah the brawl OT's were... lackluster and problematic. I should hope things pick up once the 3ds releases, and I believe it should.

I shall frequent here ALOT if thats the case, when i'm not actually going to a Tourney in person. hopefully i'll be welcome here, (dat OP.)

I do have enough time on my hands to start hosting a weekly/biweekly online tournament for Smash 4 on the WiiU, thread will be made about 2-3 weeks before the release date, held on the day after it's release.

On the topic of custom moves, I won't be allowing them due to the game being in it's early stages, but if the general opinion is that they are healthy, that may change.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Matt, you still post here?

You should allow custom moves, IMO. The biggest argument against them from what I can see is that they take time to unlock. For online tournaments, though, I'd argue that it's up to the player to get the custom moves for the characters they like. To each his (or her!) own.

Of course, tournaments with no customs could be fun too.

And get on the xat from time to time, I haven't really talked to you since I got back :mad:

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
Matt, you still post here?

You should allow custom moves, IMO. The biggest argument against them from what I can see is that they take time to unlock. For online tournaments, though, I'd argue that it's up to the player to get the custom moves for the characters they like. To each his (or her!) own.

Of course, tournaments with no customs could be fun too.

And get on the xat from time to time, I haven't really talked to you since I got back :mad:
Most custom moves don't seem too bad from what I've seen, so I'm considering trying it out.

Yeah, after hearing a few opinions about custom moves being allowed, I will enable them. However I will add a rule where the player will not use an abusable mechanic from the result of a custom move (like Metaknight Infinite Cape glitch as an example) where there can be no argument that it degenerates the game. It will be a tame rule that I expect won't cause any problems, but I am prepared to spectate replays and make a judgement.

I will say it will be an experimental tournament, so I hope anyone who enters understands that it's possible that disagreements can occur. Also I will be including most of the stages for testing purposes for future tournaments.

Knubs, btw, when are you hosting your online tournament? I'm planning to host mine on the Saturday after the release of Smash 4 on the WiiU.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's been a long time, but we might be back in business.

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
I was looking through a few pages to see if there was anyone left that I knew, lol. I think the only exceptions are Rawnie and Chaco; then again, name changes could also play a hand in my confusion!

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Playa not even remembering me like d'okay.

But since you're old school FC trade and let's play sometime

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Just here rolling with the hype. I kinda hoped more old faces would at least stop by but I guess one or two is better than none ^__^

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
I feel like the one who has been slacking. I've barely posted in the last 2 or 3 years, but with new smash comes new mechanics that I do not understand and requires help from people who do -_<

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Just here rolling with the hype. I kinda hoped more old faces would at least stop by but I guess one or two is better than none ^__^
I've been lurking. Just didn't feel like I had anything to say yet. I wasn't actually going to get Smash for 3DS because no CPP support, but I somehow ended up with a copy anyway, and I'm quite pleased with it. The hype just kind of generated itself once I had the game in my hands. Really feelin' that Shulk. I'm hoping he'll have a good place in the metagame. After all, he's the heaviest character in the game (for 18 seconds) and his tilts can kill at 120% (also for 18 seconds). And oh, lord his counter is the destroyer of man.

Between that and the apparent buffs to Sheik and Lucario, this edition of smash has been very kind to me so far.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Only guy people are allowed to play Shulk, undies costume obv.

Sheik Fit and Bowser for me right now (would use Ness if PKT weren't
so weird on circle pad)

Last edited:

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
Right now my mains look like: Shiek, Rosalina, Mii Gunner, ZSS and Duck Hunt. I'm really only trying to play Rosalina though, lol.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Hey don't accuse me of johning, I have the best john in the world I could use at any time but don't.

I'm LEGALLY BLIND so suck it I shouldn't even be able to play.

Last edited:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Since I plan on helping grow the 3DS/Wii U online tournament scene as much as I can, I figured that those of us who will be regular tournament holders should reward those who place high enough in any and all tournaments in the OTL with what I shall christen battle points (BP). Think of it as an incentive to keep coming back to OTL to compete in tournament after tournament (or as many as you can handle in say any given month). You can gain BP by placing within the top 3/4 in small tournaments, top 8 for medium tournaments, and for big whopping 48/64 man tournaments, the top 12/16. Obviously the bigger your tournament, the bigger amount of BP you will have to reward and evenly spread out.

IMPORTANT NOTE: To those who are used to holding tournaments on OTL and to those who are new to it, when you reward your top place finishers with BP, make sure the amount of BP fits the size of your tournament.

i.e we shouldn't be seeing small tournaments with 500, 475, 450, and 425 points as the reward for 1st through 4th place respectively. Likewise, a gigantic 64 man tournament held during the summer should not have a pitiful amount of BP for 1-12th like 5 points for first, 3 points for second, and a even more pitiful one point for 3rd through 12th place. Keeping the amount of BP reasonable and proportional to the size of your online tournament will help ensure two things.

1. People will have the drive to work for their powers which I will talk about in a bit, and ..

2. make sure the system itself is balanced so that TO's don't get overwhelmed with a gazillion people pestering them over powers they want to use in an upcoming tournament.

Whether you use BP is up to you or not and whether you allow any powers players might have is also up to you. As a long time lurker of SmashBoards, I know that OTL has been known for quite a few wacky and creative tournaments in the past, so there should be plenty of uses for player's hard earned powers whether you allow them or not. ;)In other words, online tournaments offer more freedom than real life ones generally do and are a bit less serious as a result, but never underestimate the hard work that get put into any tournament, especially online ones. If you do allow BP, know that it can be used in conjunction with any other prizes your larger tournaments might offer like funds for Nintendo's E-Shop for example.

NOTE: I'm sure this doesn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyhow; BP is not something you buy with real money. It's shall we say...an imaginary currency that only has use in online tournaments on here.

F.A.Q

Q: How will we keep track of who's got x amount of BP?

A: If this idea takes off as well as I pray it will, I suggest a stickied thread where anyone who's acquired BP at anytime in any tournament that rewards BP will be listed in order starting with the player with the highest amount of all time along with their current amount of BP. My suggestion for this possible thread's name would be

OTL BATTLE EMPORIUM: (Redeem Battle Points here!)

Q: What sort of use will BP serve?

A: BP can be exchanged for any abilities to give you a slight edge in future tournaments. The lowest "power" will start at a mere 25 BP and will go up in increments of 25. As players spend their BP, it's up to those allowed to edit the OP to keep track of all points spent. When you buy a power, you will receive a PM notifying you of your purchase.

EXAMPLE:

64: ToadsterOven

Current BP: 100

All BP Ever Acquired: 350

Suggestions for powers that can be granted in exchange for BP

25: Player Choice: Assuming you aren't a high ranking OTL player, (ranks can be checked in the official thread for that) using this power prior to the start of a tournament will grant you one reseeding in the brackets! Choose your opponent wisely! Will not work if you or your opponent are already highly ranked.

50: One More Chance: Got eliminated earlier than you wanted? Use this power and challenge someone in Loser's Bracket of your choice (if they agree to it first) to a quick best 2 out of 3 match to determine if you'll get back in or not. Note: This power must be used in the first two/three (depending on tournament size) rounds of both winner's and loser's brackets

75: Character Assassination: Use this power to force your opponent (if they agree to it) to change one of their mains to one of your choice. Must be used before the start of the tournament/round provided it's not Semi-Finals/Grand Finals. Lasts the first round of the match.

100: Pick your Poison: Use this power to play on a stage of your choice that's otherwise banned. Has one use. Note: Again, your opponent must agree to this as well as which round of the match it shall be used, it must be used before the start of the tournament, and can only be used within the first round of the tournament in either the top or loser's brackets

125: Omega; no Alpha: Unless the tournament calls for Omega versions of stages only or allows them in the Semi/Grand Finals, use this power any of your matchups (if your opponent agrees) to make all stages you two play on the Omega version only! Must be used before the start of the match.

150: Double The Power: The doublemint doublemint gum....whoops wrong topic. Seriously speaking however, upon purchase of this power, you are granted two powers of your choice to use in the next tournament, but only one can be used per tournament. You cannot choose this particular power as one of them nor can you choose Triplets, I Know You, Aren't You A Regular Here, or VIP Status.

175: I Know You: Upon purchase of this power, you get the first spot on the sign up sheet in the next tournament of your choosing along with a say in whom you get seeded against. Must be used via PM'ing a TO regular before he/she posts a new tournament thread. You also get one power of your choice to use in the next tournament you sign up for provided its not Aren't You A Regular Here, VIP Status, Double The Power, or Triplets.

Note to TO's: if someone/more than one person in your tournament says they want to use this power or any other power that allows this and they actually have it, highlight them with a color/different color to help differentiate them from everyone else on the sign up sheet

200: Triplets: Similar to the Double Power, this allows you to buy three powers of your choosing. Likewise, this, Double The Power, I Know You, Aren't You A Regular Here, and VIP Status cannot be chosen.

225: By Her Grace: Lady Luck is on your side with this power. Running late to a tournament? Using this power allows you 20 extra minutes to show up to the tournament. Must be used before the start of the tournament if you know for a FACT beforehand you will be running a bit late.

250: Aren't You A Regular Here?: Similar to the I Know You Power, this allows you first dibs on the sign up sheet of the next two tournaments I or any other TO's host. Can mix and match tournaments if you would like. Still must be used via PM. In addition, this allows you to be seeded against an opponent of your choice once per tournament while this power is active. assuming you or opponent of choice aren't already high ranking in the OTL Tournament Rankings. You are also allowed the benefits of Double the Power. Make sure its not a power that's not allowed as listed above in I Know You

275: Cursed Armor: A mysterious relic from a past battle with origins that are not of the natural world. Must be used prior to your next match. This particular power grants you one more chance similar to you guessed it, One More Chance. Lose your match and this unholy armor will spare you from being eliminated and invade your body filling it with a cursed power that lives for the hunger of your opponent's....defeat giving you one more round to battle in. Win it and you move on and your opponent will be eliminated instead of you. Lose and you will be consumed completely by the essence of this cursed object as it disintegrates you into nothingness! (You will actually be eliminated and your opponent shall move on) Buyer beware!

Note: This power can only be used in Loser Bracket's at any point before the Semi-Final's

300: VIP Status: The priciest of OTL Powers and essentially the motherload of them all! Does the following:
  • Grants you the very first spot on the sign up sheet in the next three tournaments that either I host or others host (if they allow it). The user can also choose which three upcoming tournaments (mix and match in other words) they would like to have the first spot in so long as the TO in question allows it. PM rule still applies.

• It also allows you to be seeded with an opponent of your choice assuming you or him/her aren't already high ranking in the OTL community per tournament (no more than 3)

• Up to three powers of your choice are acquired upon purchase of this power. When buying this power, make a note of which additional powers you would like to have. One can be used per tournament. Don't pick the Player Choice power as that would be redundant! Likewise, the Double The Power, Triplets, I Know You, By Her Grace, and Aren't You A Regular? would be pointless to choose.

• By Her Grace comes with VIP Status. Can be used in addition to whatever power you plan on using in a future tournament if you know you will be running a bit late for a tournament beforehand

• When VIP Status is in use, the player who uses it shall have their username, 3DS/Wii U Friend Code, and any other information about them that is required for your tournament highlighted in big bold golden font.
EXAMPLE:

1. ToadsterOven/ToadsterOven*/3711-6996-2029/:4tlink:,:4peach:

2. Somerandomguy/Somerandomguy/2222-2222-2222/ :4sheik:,:4pacman:,:4wario2:

*challonge username

Q: What if someone tries to lie and say they have more BP than they really have?

A: Won't be a problem as the winner of a tournament and the number of runner ups eligible to receive BP will be PM'ed the amount of BP they have earned and the potential BP thread will be updated constantly to keep track of BP earned and spent in OTL along with any powers players might currently have in their inventory. However, if someone DOES try to pull a fast one and lie about their amount of BP to get a power they probably don't deserve, they will be given a strike against them and have some of their BP taken away which they will NOT be getting back along with any powers they may have. In addition, they will issued a temporary ban from participation in OTL tournaments.

1st Strike: A quarter percentage of all acquired BP will be taken away along with a two week ban from participating in any tournaments. One power shall also be taken away.

2nd Strike: 50% of all acquired BP will be taken away and a one month ban from participation OTL tournaments will be issued. Three powers shall also be removed.

3rd Strike: All acquired BP and powers shall be removed and a six month ban from OTL tournaments will be issued.

Also, if someone claims they have a power when they really don't when they sign up for a tournament, they too will be subject to the 3 strikes and you are out system.

Q: How many powers can one have active and how many can you keep?

A: One active power per tournament that's not I Know You, Aren't You A Regular Here?, and VIP Status. These three particular powers as noted above grants you up to a maximum of three powers of your choice and can be used along with one power of your choice per tournament. Any powers you buy with BP are kept until you choose to use them.

Q: Bit hypothetical, but how exactly would rewarding BP look depending on if its say a 16, 32, 48, or 64 man tournament?

A: Bit of a loaded question, but I'll do my best to answer. A 16 man tournament usually rewards/recognizes the top 3 or 4 players right? It would look something like this:

EXAMPLE 1

1st Place: PLAYER C: 25 points

2nd Place: PLAYER F: 16 points

3rd Place: PLAYER J: 7 points

EXAMPLE 2:

1st Place: ILIKECHEEZENIPS: 26 points

2nd Place: Batmanfan234: 19 points

3rd Place: TenchuMaster: 12 points

4th Place: Z-Man: 5 points

32 man tournaments usually recognize/reward the top 8.

EXAMPLE:

1st Place: MEW2KING: 100 points

2nd Place: Armada: 85 points

3rd Place: Mango: 70 points

4th Place: Ken: 55 points

5th Place: ZeR0: 40 points

6th Place: Dr. Peepee: 25 points

7th Place: HungryBox: 10 points

8th Place: Leffen: 5 points

48 man tournaments I imagine award the top 12 along with 64 man ones

1st Place: Ryu: 200 points

2nd Place: Chun-Li: 185 points

3rd Place: Ken: 160 points

4th Place: Guile: 145 points

5th Place: Dhalsim: 120 points

6th Place: Cammy: 105 points

7th Place: Sakura: 80 points

8th Place: Akuma: 65 points

9th Place: Dan: 40 Points

10th Place: Zangief: 25 points

11th Place: M. Bison: 10 points

12th Place: Blanka: 5 points

And one more example if your 64 man tournament recognizes the Top 16 for some reason:

1st Place: Chuck Testa: 350 points

2nd Place: Troll Face: 325 points

3rd Place: Derpina: 300 points

4th Place: Pudi Pudi: 275 points

5th Place: Not Bad: 250 points

6th Place: Derp: 225 points

7th Place: Derpette: 200 points

8th Place: ORLY: 175 points

9th Place: Nyan Cat: 150 points

10th Place: AWW YEAH: 125 points

11th Place: ME GUSTA: 100 points

12th Place: SlenderMan: 75 points

13th Place: DOGE: 50 points

14th Place: LOLCATS: 25 points

15th Place: Google Plus: 10 points

16th Place: M. Sakurai: 5 points

Q: One last question. Well two actually...1. how would you reward BP in a Doubles Tournament. 2. What about a large 3DS and Wii U tournament?

A: Glad you asked. In a top 8 scenario for a 32 man doubles tournament held during Winter Break, it would probably go something like this.

EXAMPLE:

1st Place: Crimson Duo: 400 points

2nd Place: Bubblegum Twins: 350 points

3rd Place: Husband and Wife: 300 points

4th Place: Bros for Lyfe: 250 points

5th Place: Night and Day: 200 points

6th Place: Blood Sisters: 150 points

7th Place: Fire and Ice: 100 points

8th Place: Western Vaqueros: 50 points

Divide the number of points given to each team by half and you have your answer!

As for any tournament involving both 3DS and Wii versions of Smash 4, reward battle points separately to each version depending on how big each side is. (which in any case should be the same size be it 16, 32, 48, or 64.) That said, players are more than welcome to sign up for both versions in a tournament that hosts both 3DS and Wii U. *

* If that happens, mark the player a different color than everyone else on both sign up sheets.

That's all I managed to come up with the last few hours, let me know what you guys think about my proposed "rewards system" Battle Points! :)

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
@ ToadsterOven ToadsterOven going in.

So you got a bf/gf? That's right, welcome to OTL, eat. 2008

We take no prisoners ;)

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Its a neat idea, but I'd be be pretty upset to win a match and then have to replay it because my opponent is active in tourneys already. Or if they just got to completely overturn my character/stage picks just cuz. I'd be all for this kind of system in just a for fun league, but any serious tourney should stick to a uniform ruleset for all players so that skill and smart picks win sets instead of cashing in X amount of points for an advantage.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Its a neat idea, but I'd be be pretty upset to win a match and then have to replay it because my opponent is active in tourneys already. Or if they just got to completely overturn my character/stage picks just cuz. I'd be all for this kind of system in just a for fun league, but any serious tourney should stick to a uniform ruleset for all players so that skill and smart picks win sets instead of cashing in X amount of points for an advantage.
I agree. Serious tournaments with cash/gift cards for prizes are where powers don't belong. As I stated in my last post in this thread, the OTL has been known for silly and creative just for fun tournaments and that is where powers earned from cashing in BP would fit best. With that said, BP should still be a reward/one of the rewards in most if not all tournaments IMO, but powers like you said should be restricted to non-serious tournaments where the real prize is the glory and admiration of winning 1st place. And again, it's up to the TO whether they allow BP and BP powers even if they are running a standard run of the mill 16 man tournament. :)

@ Teran Teran What type of voucher for Amazon are we talking about in the OTL Guide to hosting tournaments? X amount of time of free membership? Discounts on your next few purchases?

Speaking of cool prizes, I'm thinking that since the Wii U version of 4 will be out around Thanksgiving/Black Friday, a potential 32 man tournament for that version of the game could be held during Winter break for those who have it where the grand prize is either 60 dollars towards your digital gaming service of choice (E-shop, PSN, Xbox Live Marketplace, or Steam) or a digital copy of smash 4 for Wii U that you can give to a friend for a Christmas present.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Something like a $50 gift voucher. Keep it simple lol

Although you did put some amount of work in developing your powers idea, I'm afraid it is still quite "gimmicky" and complicated to have as 1st hand knowledge for players that just want to simply play Smash Brothers. Since the game will just be coming out, people will just want to play in simple tournaments to have fun/ find out their main/playstyle/ how to learn how to be good and would rather not deal with extra baggage that could inhibit that concentration.

Also the powers, I have to debate, create many frustration factors in actual tournaments that could lead to complicating situations. As Glyph mentioned one of them, Being forced to fight a person you won against already is unfair and they're allowed too because they played more tournaments. Being able to make yourself late 20 minutes to a tournament would cause EVERYONE to wait 20 minutes, causing frustrations on to why a tournament isn't starting. What reason could you give to satisfy them, because they spend some points that allows them to do whatever they want?

Granted those could be hypothetical powers you posted, and if so I apologize for not finding out if they are, but those suggested powers should never be allowed in any sort of tournament that would foster competitive spirit. Maybe having a point system where it rewards players for entering many tournaments/ winning/ being active in the communities with seasonly prizes would be better, as it would encourage players to play in tournaments and play MORE and would help the OTL community grow.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'll just pester the admins to add Glyph and I back obv, this is our house after all.

Top Bottom