• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Knight in 1v1

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
I have issues playing with Metaknight in 1v1. I feel like I can rack up the damage but can't seem to get the finishing blow. Maybe I'm making a mistake using his smash attacks for finishers but I feel like the generic Tornado spamming noob with him. He isn't my main but I wish to make him a good secondary (Snake is my main) Do you guys have any suggestions or know of any great videos I can look up to get better with him. Thank you in advance for any informative replies.

Ambient

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
Save your dsmash for 120% or so, its a good killing move, also at about 100% try a ftrhow > sh SL, MK's best kills are gimps tho, if you want any more specifics just ask, thats all i could think of off the top of my head

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Okay then I'm curious about your approach with Metaknight. What do you to to start off in a 1v1. Do you break into the Tornado or some grabs for comboing? And what do do you at mid -high damages. I just feel like I need a new less predictable approach with him.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i like to start with aerials most of the time, dairs are good , the dash attack is also really good, i normally use grabs at mid % to rack up damage to put them into kill range, i have a video thread with ALOT of vids so if you wanna check it out go ahead, the newest ones are toward the bottom

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
I will have to check that out. Perhaps my main flaw is trying to finish on the ground when Metaknight is clearly more aerial oriented. I just found some of smashes to be situational in way. I always start off with aerials and Tornadoes but I ground myself for finishes.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
watch vids, and see what works is probably your best bet, i have a bunch on the boards, forte has a bunch on youtube

ckm

Smash Journeyman
the only finish youre gonna get consistently while grounded is gonna be your downsmash, and thats only at fairly high percentages. In order to really own people with MK, youre gonna need to gimp your opponent's return. Shuttle loop, Dair, and Nair are all good off-the stage kill moves. Get used to being aggressive when your opponent is off the stage... As a MK player, you gotta hustle for that kill.

Ice9

Smash Apprentice
You have to work for your MK kills, my personal fav is when you Mindgamez a nair kill and the opponent usually pauses the game and gives you the "cute" face... priceless.

Protathlitis

Smash Cadet
As everyone else was saying, you've got to be really aggressive on the edge. Generally, his d and f smashes are only good for getting people off of the edge. Shuttle loops (especially with that surprise backwards knockback) and n airs can usually get that kill at rather low percentages. Don't be afraid to edgehog!

Ice9

Smash Apprentice
Dsmash will kill at around 110% and if you can't get 110% with MK, put the controller down and go play Go Diego Go's Wild Safari Adventure, because you sure as **** can't play brawl.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
For finishing: Like R1ngo said, save your Dsmash until killing time, which for me is 120% or higher. Once you learn how to fully replenish it, you can use it as much as you'd like for some space, and to finish off opponents.

For approaching: Most of the time, I sh fair, or dair as an approach. For projectile uses, I either tornado toward them, and stop just out of their range, I Drill Rush them, I sh air dodge, or I approach from high in the air with a fair, dair, or nair.

Killress

Smash Ace
Main killers:Dsmash, Shuttleloop, and Fsmash has good knockback, but it has huge startup lag, so don't use it often. Hope i helped.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
gimp kills. use ur insane recovery+6 jumps. wall of pain them

also try up+b

Protathlitis

Smash Cadet
For finishing: Like R1ngo said, save your Dsmash until killing time, which for me is 120% or higher. Once you learn how to fully replenish it, you can use it as much as you'd like for some space, and to finish off opponents.
You guys can kill at 120% with it; are you able to hit people with it after charging it up? I assume that you're playing against normal-weight characters. I cannot imagine killing a good snake at 120% with a down smash; I'm always willing to learn how to get better.

P.S. I think I know, but what exactly is meant by fully replenishing it?

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
using other moves enough to restore it to full power, through the stale move system, or hit decay as some call it

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Killing everyone with MK is easy. It's all about the gimp.

Only on a select few match-ups should you save D-smash (Snake, D3.) F-smash isn't that good, and Shuttle Loop will always be your best kill options. It's so ****ed mind game intensive.

Los Bassoon

Smash Rookie
As MK, I believe that your best aerial killing move, when talking about knockback, is your nair, especially when you are intercepting your opponent off the edge. On the ground, your fsmash is more powerful, but the dsmash is so much faster, it hits both sides of MK, and it only sacrifices a tiny bit of your power, so the dsmash is the way to go. Shuttle Loop can be quite painful, but it can also be punished, and leaves you open to attack if used high up in the air. When your opponent is off the edge, another good option is to catch your opponent in just the right spot with the dair, as it will knock back the opponent with minimal vertical launch. MK kills most efficiently, however, when you aggressively chase your opponent off the edge.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
I normally save one ground and one aerial move to over 100% (Dsmash and Nair usually), and abuse UpB in the entire stock, when my opponent is about to dead, i finish him with one of those attacks that i saved.

Top Bottom