• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King! (I actually PLAYED the game.)

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
Today, my friend who has a Japanese Wii came in with a Japanese Brawl, and I about crapped myself. As I promised myself, I tried out Dedede a lot. After playing for about an hour, I've come up with some useful starting tips for DDD players.

I'm not a professional, however I think that these tips could come in handy when first picking up DDD. I've only played for about an hour with DDD so far, so don't expect this to be perfect.

Bair, Dair, and Fair
As an avid DK player from melee, I was very happy to see that DDD's bair was just as powerful (if not more so) than DK's bair, although with slightly less range. I found that short hop + bair + fast fall worked wonders against just about everyone, thanks to it's incredible priority. I use it for everything, because it's not only quick, but has very good knockback. I rate this move extremely useful for DDD, and a must-use-at-all-times attack.

DDD's dair is INCREDIBLY powerful, and has a bunch of priority. I've cleared the stage a few times with dair in 4-player matches... it's disgusting, yet very satisfying. Basically, the only two things I do in the air are the bair and dair.

His fair has decent speed, but is punishable if you miss, so be careful. I much prefer throwing underlings.

Smashes
NEVER USE DDD'S FORWARD SMASH. It's incredibly slow (about as slow as Bowser's forward smash from melee,) and more easily punishable now that there are quicker characters like Sonic, Lucario, etc. I guess with more practice, I'll learn to time it better... but until then, I'm not touching forward smash.

It seems that DDD copied Icy's dsmash, only it's a little bit slower (and just as powerful.) I find that spamming the forward B (underling toss) is a great way to stun faster characters as they come close, then rip them a new one with dsmash. Or, if you can, grab and dthrow for the chain we all have seen and come to love :chuckle:.

I didn't really use Usmash very often... Utilt seemed to be more effective. I usually jumped off to the side real quick, then threw an underling at them :laugh: What? It worked well for me...

SIDE NOTE: DDD seems to be very, very good in the air. His Bair and Dair have high priority, and do lots of damage. Get used to fast falling!

Tilts
When not spamming underlings and dsmash, I used a lot of tilts. DDD's Ftilt and Utilt have some pretty good range. As a big character, his tilts are a bit slow, but very powerful (plus, that mallet is kinda HUGE, so... yeah.) It's fun to use that mallet against Ike or other big characters who try to get close to DDD.

The B button
Speaking of the mallet... down B is his exploding mallet, which I dislike. It seems to have very little range, and doesn't have the incredible knockback I expected. I haven't found a real use for it just yet.

Over-B (underling toss) is sooo much fun, and encouraged. Not only do they stop projectiles, but they have okay stun/knockback. DDD can pick them up again (and he throws them automatically,) or even eat them (whether or not they actually heal his health is unconfirmed. I just know that he can swallow them.)

Natural B is his swallow move... I haven't really found a good use for it besides suiciding.

Finally, there's DDD's up-B, his third jump. He goes up very fast, but falls INCREDIBLY slowly. Picture Yoshi's Dair, only at 1/6 the speed, and you can get hit out of the fall. I absolutely despise using this move, because it's so incredibly punishable. True, you can just push B and you get out of the jump... but then you go into helpless mode, and fall to your doom. It's pretty crappy.

Overall, DDD is a very fun character to play. He's very big, so he's easy to hit, but DDD can take some serious punishment before dying. Plus, his recovery is very good. DDD for top tier!! :grin:

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I for one thank you for your input. I'm really interested in his bair, if you can give us anymore details on it that'd be AMAZING!

Oh and so awesome that you're using the term "underling". LOL

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Looks like we should start learning the running reverse Bair

(Utilizing Mario's Bair)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC3W_AxqxSE

Not entirely advanced, but...

Because of the new game mechanics in Brawl, you can run forward, turn around, and jump, making your character keep your forward jumping momentum while facing the other way.

Simply Run forward, then turn around and jump at the same time. Then hold the direction you were running toward.

This feels like a very important technique, as many characters have very good Back aerials, but bad or decent Neutral airs or forward airs.

This was possible in melee, but your momentum was slowed down. Not entirely "advance", but very useful.

GIF examples of jump back toward (video from me, GIFs made by Crispy4001)

Seen in the following GIFs is Toon Link running toward Ganondorf and then approaching him with multiple back airs while still moving toward the enemy.
also, im kinds surprised you dont much like his Fsmash or jer powered hammer.

Verry situational moves to be sure, but havent you heard about how powerful those things are when they actually connect?

the Fsmash will pop them up into the air even if it doesnt hit it shakes the earth so. and it can kill at 17% (charged)
also, it looks like he leans back with it, so it could be used as a semi-dodge like ganon's Fsmash?
also, DDD's back roll actually looks verry good, similar to a WD almost. fi a sheik comes in for a dash, or a ganon for a stomp, i might be able to see a backroll Fsmash.

also, the jet hammer actually looks like it comes out pretty quick even though it has bad range.
but you can move with it, so you could hit somebody, and if they roll behind you run towards them with a charging hammer and BAM!!!

anyways, might i please request that you confirm how DDD sweetspots with his upB?

Ive seen DDD go right past the ledge plenty of times in his upB when he should have been able to grab it.

also, you should prob check out the Usmash somemore, ive seen him kill verry eaisly with it.
how is his Uthrow? could you Uthrow somebody onto a platform and Usmash the tech?

PS
one more request. could you please dash with DDD over and over again?
try fox trotting?
I wanna see if DDD can still trip.

it may be that the big guys cant trip but can still fox trot... that could be big.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
Looks like we should start learning the running reverse Bair

also, im kinds surprised you dont much like his Fsmash or jer powered hammer.

Verry situational moves to be sure, but havent you heard about how powerful those things are when they actually connect?

the Fsmash will pop them up into the air even if it doesnt hit it shakes the earth so. and it can kill at 17% (charged)
also, it looks like he leans back with it, so it could be used as a semi-dodge like ganon's Fsmash?
also, DDD's back roll actually looks verry good, similar to a WD almost. fi a sheik comes in for a dash, or a ganon for a stomp, i might be able to see a backroll Fsmash.

also, the jet hammer actually looks like it comes out pretty quick even though it has bad range.
but you can move with it, so you could hit somebody, and if they roll behind you run towards them with a charging hammer and BAM!!!

anyways, might i please request that you confirm how DDD sweetspots with his upB?

Ive seen DDD go right past the ledge plenty of times in his upB when he should have been able to grab it.

also, you should prob check out the Usmash somemore, ive seen him kill verry eaisly with it.
how is his Uthrow? could you Uthrow somebody onto a platform and Usmash the tech?

I've done some more tests with DDD, and I've answered a few of these questions.

I've learned that DDD's Fsmash is actually very useful if timed correctly. It hits around nearly his ENTIRE body, and there is a hitbox in front of the hammer (as if they're getting hit by shockwaves,) depending on how much you power up the smash.

As for the Usmash, it's quite powerful (heh, what move ISN'T powerful for DDD?) It's not too slow, so I don't really mind using it.

Now, I had to do some serious testing with the Up-B. I jumped off of the edge, and then pushed Up-B... DDD does not grab the edge. However, you can cancel out of the Up-B with any B button combination, and he will go into helpless mode... however, DDD will grab the edge once in helpless mode. It's a good thing that he falls slowly for this situation, it gives DDD time to cancel out of his Up-B to grab the edge.

Also... you cannot control where you go when using Up-B. Just standing, you'll fly straight up, and go straight down. However, if you're moving right, and then hit Up-B, you'll fly diagonally up right, and fall diagonally right. Depending on how fast you're moving right will depend on how sharp the diagonal is when you jump. I literally jumped from one end of the screen to the other using this move while dashing!

You're right about the Jet Hammer, it comes out very fast, despite it's small range. However, I prefer to use Dsmash.

I plan on doing different throws with DDD next. More updates coming soon.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Thank you verry much.

its great to have someone to test this stuff for us. (I should be able to help out wednesday.)

thats pretty good news about the upB, if you can cancel it ang go into hopeless mode pretty quickly, you should be able to cancel it right before you come to the ledge and avoid both death and more then a few frames of helpless mode.

one more request:
could you please dash with DDD over and over again?
try fox trotting?
I wanna see if DDD can still trip. (which happens randomly during the beginning of the dash animation)

it may be that the big guys cant trip but can still fox trot... that could be big.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
actually, his jet-hammer is faster then his Fsmash. not how much charging it would take for the jet-happer to become more powerful then an uncharged Fsmash.

but you can charge the Jet hammer while moving and in the air.

both are situational.
but one things for sure. if a jiggs falls asleap against DDD, she is going to die.

also, another good trick, I think DDD would be really good against PK trainer.
whenever he PKtrainer calles a PKmon back, just charge the hammer at the spot the PKmon disappeared, when he reappears, hit one out of the ball-park.

Maph

Smash Cadet
That pokemon idea sounds pretty good. I have yet to see any good videos of Dedede's F-smash though, so I'll bring in my own opinion later.

Izmo

Smash Cadet
I find the FSmash to be really great to use after using his down throw chain grab to the edge of a floating stage (Like FD or Battlefield). Once they go off the stage, if you time it right, they tend to jump right into it. I'm sure proper DI and people getting used to it will change it's effectiveness, but for now I'm getting my friends in it a lot :D

Also, the animation of the Pokeballs changing in and out is invincible, but there's a point where the Pokemon comes out that you can attack them, in response to someone's question above. It's actually kinda a pain when playing PT -_-

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I highly doubt the Fsmashes will have a real place in completive play.
Tell that to gimpyfish with his bowser in melee, he lands the fsmash

its all about how you use it, if theres a opening or you can space it right - go for it

It might be good for edgeguarding in situations like poster above you said

Krell

Smash Journeyman
I really liked how Dedede played, and you seem to agree with me OP. His Bair is especially great, and his Waddle Dee Toss is definitely his best move. I actually hit with his side smash once (only once haha) and it did KO, but wow, it's too slow to use effectively most of the time. Maybe in team matches?

Edit: Oh, also, I only managed to hit with is Down B while falling in the air, but it worked great and got a KO or two. Perhaps it's a viable way to cover a landing?

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
sorry for the confusion.
I meant Final-smash when i said Fsmash.

the forward smash and Jet-hammer will have its uses, you just have to wait till the other person cant do anything about it, or you mindgame into it. cant just start throwing it out there.

Circles

Smash Cadet
Hahaha, has anyone ikki shuffled someone off the edge into a f smash yet? lol
Been playing brawl for the past 2 days, can't get enough of dedede.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Really?
could you please help answer the questions here, here, and here?

we dont yet have many DDD mainers who actually have a brawl, so we need as much help answering these questions as we can get.

PS
im pretty sure its impossible to shffl someone into a Fsmash... im gonna assume you meant chain-grab someone off the edge into a drop-zoned Fair?

Circles

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I don't know what its called. I just decided to call it the ikki shuffle, but its the dthrow chaingrab.
I will look into those questions.

iconicSLEAZOID

Smash Cadet
I have a copy of brawl for a week and am able to try out some testing with DDD.

I honestly think that his Fsmash has some great use though. It definitely takes a good mindgamer but it's doable.

The Fsmash is amazing with the predictable recoveries. chainthrow to Fsmash off edge works fairly well for a few characters. Sometimes you WILL have to delay the Fsmash but that's just reading people.

Today I actually K.O.ed a Metaknight off the edge with Fsmash at 26%. I think there might be somewhat of a "tip" range with DDD. I haven't put any time into testing it yet though, so don't quote me on that, but I was shocked at the amount of knockback i got from hitting metaknight with the "tip" area compared to the rest of the match when I Fsmashed him.

Bottom line, though, USE FSMASH!

Shff Nair has a good recovery, I used it into Jab combo fairly well.

Brainslug7

Smash Cadet
i saw a video of D3 where he threw some underlings (i think thats wat theyre called) and they walked around and shot out electricity and such. I was wondering if u could just spam side b and fill the stage with those guys and have them beat on everyone lol.. or do they despawn after a while

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
Dedede's my favorite character. His ground moves > his air moves, in knockback at least. I can't kill anyone with any aerial except Bair. Dair is good for pinning people down, and Uair is good as a throw follow-up. But his Dsmash and Usmash on the ground are excellent. His Dsmash hits in all directions around him, and comes out quickly. His Usmash is a lil slow, but if you time it right, it can do an upwards KO pretty easily.

Forward A is really ****ing powerful, and has a huge hitbox. But it's extraordinarily slow, predictable, and punishable. His throws are good, you can Dthrow into a Uair with ease. I heard he has a chain throw, but those are kind of weak to begin with.

His ^B is good for getting out of sticky situations, but you usually land in another one. You can really fly across the whole stage with this move if you do it out of a dash. And you have no control over it once you're in the air.
>B is great. It's like Peach's turnips meets that walking-around-item-guy-from-Melee-and-64.
vB is ****ty. Tough to hit with, little knockback, little damage. I didn't like it. Sorry.

Oh, plus he can be pink. Awesome.

Met

Smash Ace
Ok I don't know if this is been answered but Dedede can trip because everyone can its just part of the game it happens to me alot. His jet hammer and Fsmash are basicly pointless in singles, and if you say otherwise you probably haven't been playing someone whos any good. The DownB is the worst of his moves no doubt. It slows you down to a super slow walk, and has no range and hardly any knock back. Fsmash edge gaurding?
Seriously guys wtf? Most people have auto sweet spotting and if your not going off the stage to Bair someone then you arn't edge gaurding well. The wall of paining with backairs as of now is his best edgegaurd vs almost any character. We will see how that changes with the metagame. but where its at now use those bairs.
You can only have two underlings out at a time once you throw the third one the first one that you throw will die. His Normal B is good i don't know why people don't agree it pulls people towards you. even when they are shielding. has nasty range and shielding doesn't work vs it. You can short hop one into someone and it will go through almost any attack.
The thing I am starting to like the most is his grabs. His SC grab is nasty and someone can be throwing **** at you and you can just get there and grab them from like a million feet away.

anyway thats my input on him he is a beast. But don't you rocket hammer, its for nubs.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
I do think you can mindgame into a Fsmash... but your right, its not something you can edge-guard with. ever.

people have tried in vids, i melee it would have worked, in brawl it does not...

icethatclimbs

Smash Cadet
ddd is so awesome he definitely is one of the best characters so far, my favorite part about him is when you DI correctly he never dies! Its all about forward b spamming and bair is mega ****, straight wop status!!!!

DDD for GOd teir!!!

Top Bottom