• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Israeli Smash Problem. Looking for advice

Vall3y

Smash Lord
I can't think of a better place for this thread, but I am looking for serious advice (more serious than I can get in Melee disc, with all the respect sorry).

Let me tell you alittle about the Israeli Smash community... We aren't many, but this is alright considering the size of our country. Most of our so called players don't bother learning and improving. They seem not to really care how they play, and how to play better.
People played the game in Israel since the game came out, big most of them in a scrubby fashion. Not more than two years ago, at a scrubby tournament hosted by some gaming site (as a part of a big event), things changed when a new generation of serious players made their apperance for their first time (including me...).
Serious tournaments started being orginized inside the community, at some players private houses. People also started meeting more often. Some few new serious players joined the scene. But as the serious players grow better and more competitive, old timers ,which once were considered best, couldn't keep up. They gradually stopped attending and showing up. The feeling I get is that they aren't willing to put any effort and hit the top again, so they just give up. An interesting phenomenon I would like to mantion is not-serious people (new to competitive smash or just from the scrubby era) come to their first tournament, get annihilated, and never bother with the game again.
The more tournaments and events happening, the better the few serious players get better, and the bigger the skill gap gets between them and anyone else. If before there were much people that are better than the common player (though not really serious) that kept going to tournaments and such, it became that them too relized they are far from reach to level of the serious players making them too gradually stop attending tournaments or meetings or bother improving at all.
Eventualy, almost two years after the beggining, the feeling I get is that the people, that actually play (not to mantion come to tournaments or make actuall competition), are not more than 5, max.
I would also like to state that at every tournament we had, we played big pools (of everyone since the attendence was always relativly low [around 16] or 8 when there were alot of people), so everyone got to play alot of games. Also, I myself was trying to make as much people possibly pick up the game seriously by various ways, including; writing guides to a small Gamecube fan site, creating a virtual community including forum and news updates that were done by me at an Israel community site called dex, and just contacting potential players personally and trying to help them and convince them.
It is obvious to me that these cases of quitting players and such aren't uniqe to Israel.
The problematic situation of not more than 10 players, when less than a half of them are serious, is what bothers me. I am not sure what causes this problem, and how to fix it. Why there aren't enough serious people, or why people give up instead of try to improve etc etc.
Okay so, wow, I never thought I can write such a long post so I'll thank you for reading this far. I am looking for serious comments, advices, anything... maybe comparisons to other more succesfull communities. What do I do with problematic community?
Thanks again... ~Vall3y

Kone

Smash Master
Start allover again, target new players. Pain in the arse but we had to do it here in the UK. Uk becamse stagnant for well over a year, till we found new players and they got upto a respectable level that tournaments becamse competitive again.

All I can do till you get to that point is urge the Israeli top players, that care, that want to get better , to travel to European tournaments...

Ed

homsar

Smash Ace
Hmmm, that is problimatic. And its hard to fix on your own. The only idea I can think of right now is to host tutorials at tournaments. That is, the skilled players sit down and really help out the new players with a particular character. Playing with them and pointing out flaws and strong points. Make sure to never just say that they suck, just show them were they can improve and be really kind and friendly about it. If at a tournament you notice the new players not playing because the 1 vs 1's against the more skilled players looks frightening then invite some of them over to join a doubles match or a FFA. They just need to learn that you are willing to play with them even though you are good. They also need to learn that its not always about being serious in 1 vs 1's but that even you, the skilled players, like to just enjoy the game. In my opinion a great community is formed through great attitudes towards fellow players despite all the difficulties that community may face.

Top Bottom