• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I thought I was good but I'm really not" Thread

tttt

Smash Cadet
30% win rate. I have a feeling most people are just farming wins off of low players to get high win-lose rates.

I will keep trying!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I can't seem to win against specific characters, but my win percentage for 200 matches is 64%, so I'm really feelin' it.

:4robinf: Wait, that's not Shulk...

And when I lose with Robin, I switch to :4littlemac:, nobody seems to know what to do with him.

Overall better than I thought, but I still need to do better.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I had Brawl, but I hardly really played it, and never did so online. I'd like to think I'm doing kind of okay for my first shot at online play in For Glory, but let's face it, it's pretty discouraging to get bodied so much. I'm playing as much online as I can though, really want to improve! Some things are difficult for me to get the hang of though; things that are probably pretty trivial to everyone else though :)

I don't know how to punish people for rolling so much, for example. I face people rolling constantly, and I just can't land a hit on them. Especially with Duck Hunt Dog. Also, my forward smashes come out as tilts more than half the time. Very frustrating. That being said, I'm really enjoying the game and I've learnt quite a bit since its release.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Whenever I play as Shulk and Lucina it's hilariously entertaining to counter everything that comes at me. Lag causes a lot of issues with me, but I've been losing and winning about equally (which is better than I expected, since I'm used to getting my ass handed to me on a silver platter when playing with folks on Melee/PM Dolphin netplay). Though it's rather funny when I swap to ZSS and get juggly like never before.

Last edited:

jonftl

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0725-8432
Whenever I feel like I'm doing a good job the next for glory will put me against Mew2king's twin brother. D:

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Been doing alright, but I always end up with a reality check. Today was after getting a string of wins, a good Ganondorf/Robin player took 4 games off of me. Didn't matter which character I used, wasn't happening. Just straight outplayed

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think I was good, but I thought I'd be slightly better than this. But I've only ever played with neighborhood kids. It's depressing to lose a lot with really no guidance, but hopefully I can improve.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I didn't think I was good, but I thought I'd be slightly better than this. But I've only ever played with neighborhood kids. It's depressing to lose a lot with really no guidance, but hopefully I can improve.
I used to feel your pain, but I started playing with my high school buddies and they really do help me improve at Smash. I'm actually one of the worst players in the group and I'm doing really well on For Glory, I guess they're just too good in general.

Thegamerguy131

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thegamerguy131
3DS FC
0946-2559-8115
I was doing so well in For Glory 1v1s, but it turns out that I was fighting the same guy over and over again, and I guess he was awful at the game, because when I started fighting someone else, I got DESTROYED. Seriously, I landed like, one punch on him.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I already figured I wasn't great at the game. I know I'm good cause I have more wins than losses but at the same time I tend to make stupid decisions like when I decided to practice with Greninja and lost 10 matches in a row. I did get good with him and now he's a decent secondary but still. -_- I'll probably end up resetting if I can.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
Yep, I'm in the same boat. I felt like I had the N64 Smash mastered with Captain Falcon and then only played a little Melee/Brawl with a few friends. I played an online match with this game against my friend and got massacred. I played two more matches with people from here and got beat as well. I think I just need more practice and to find "my" character. Cap just doesn't seem to be working for me like he used to.

Last edited:

Jgod

Smash Cadet
Thought I was alright because I beat quite a few Bowsers, Sheiks and some Greninja.... Then there is the Fox and Robin instances. Fox whooped my ass I'm still not sure what to do against those combos. I was in a similar dilemma against Robin tried counting time uses...didn't god damn work lol
Those two fights and Zss to a lesser degree had me doubting myself and Shulk.

Now I see 90% win rate after 200 games. Wot. I'm at 56% at 300 but even at 200 I wasn't like that. No idea wtf these dudes are doing.

Last edited:

Jgod

Smash Cadet
I'm getting farmed by Charizard **** my life.

Last edited:

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I'm actually impressed by my 30% win rate in for glory mode. But I still need to train more.

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
I stopped thinking I was good at Smash when I got my ass handed to me by some actual competitive players years ago.
That being said, my 45% win rate is much better than I was expecting. As I get better with LM, I find my WR growing digit by digit. I hope I'll climb my way past 50% eventually.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Charizard is a real threat if you keep falling for his charge attack. I was able to beat a few Little Macs by jumping around and trying to frustrate them, but for some reason the players I'm playing with have gotten hip to my tricks. Right now my rate against Little Macs is roughly 50/50, depending on how good they read me.

I had a high win rate for a while because I was playing people who could be easily messed with mentally. Making fools out of projectile spammers with Rosaluma's Down B, destroying chargers with Side B, etc. Destroy the confidence, destroy the player. Now I'm facing players with nerves of steel who never lose confidence.

My biggest problem right now seems to be R.O.B. If I can keep my luma with me, I can keep ROB mostly under control, but then the luma gets knocked away and ROB destroys me with side B. The fact that his B can't really be spammed makes it harder to predict when I need to down B, too. Sure, there's a slight start-up time, but sometimes I'm tumbling during that and can't do much anyways. In theory I should be able to shut him down with proper use of side B and down B, but I guess I'm just not at that level yet.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
you know when i first tired 1v1 i had a winning streak of 8 then i ran in to a little mac use as his main and a lucario as his secondary i don't know why but i just couldn't beat him and no i just suck with link,

RubilX15/Josh

Smash Rookie
I have my moments where I actually win, but mostly ALL my games are incredibly close but I seem to lose alot of those close calls. I think my win-loss ratio is 21-28.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Was on a 30 win streak, get put against a jigglypuff, who proceeds to beat me 31 times in a row. D: why did i stick it out for the 31 times? I have no idea

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
You aren't allowed to boast your % until you have 300+ matches.

Otherwise you're just yodeling an inflated number due to lack of data.
While I agree with the sentiment, you can't just slap down an arbitrary number and say 'this is when you're allowed to talk about how good you are'. :p

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Eh, For Glory isn't really a good representation of skill anyway. There's a lot of lag, and limiting every match to Final Destination skews the game balance. The reason Little Macs are everywhere is because Little Mac literally jumps 1-2 tiers when playing on FD. If we had access to Battlefield and Prism Tower as well, he would be very uncommon and only dedicated mainers would be using him.

And no, this isn't sour grapes. I have a 76% win record right now, there's just a lot of dumb stuff that goes on in For Glory that wouldn't happen in a tournament setting.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
The reason Little Macs are everywhere is because Little Mac literally jumps 1-2 tiers when playing on FD.
He "jumps" 1-2 tiers. HAHAHA!

EDIT: But in all seriousness though, you are right. That guy is a monster on FD.

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I've gone mostly positive in For Glory, but there was this one dude who just kept destroying me with Robin, Pac-Man and Little Mac.
Why did I keep fighting him after getting wrecked?
Well, at the beginning, he was a Pac-Man and I thought "Nah, I'll get him this time." Then he went Robin and messed me up yet again, but I saw it as a very good learning opportunity, so I kept going. I don't know how to deal with most new characters or most other people outside of the 3 guys I play smash with locally.

That being said, I have 63 something wins and around 38 losses. 11 of those losses come from this one guy online.

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
I got the same feeling thought I whas pretty good til i got owned many times.
But this motivates me to get much better.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Back in the SSB Melee days, i think i was pretty good, also because i played the game A LOT.

Now, i was not official tournament good, but i was that one one kid everyone considered the best in my school/neighbourhood.
I even won a couple 15/20 player tournaments in my local store.

When the Wii came along i really hated how Brawl played transitioning from Melee and thus i pretty much ignored the Super Smash bros scene for almost a decade, and only played the game a few times with my irl friends, usually placing second.

When the SSB3DS launched, and considering that i loved it a lot more than i loved Brawl, i decided to join the community again and start playing online, being proud of myself and thinking i still "had it" from my melee days.

I think it was one of the most humbling game experiences i ever suffered.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm pretty butt, honestly. Mediocre and as this meta goes forward I'm only gonna get worse if shields become more prominent. BTW if any of you run into a guy called "TTTTTsd" on For Glory 1v1s and he uses Doc, Ganondorf, Mario, Falcon, etc., it's probably me. GGs to everyone I've played so far, for the record.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Online W/L ratios are a pretty poor indication of overall skill level since a lot of people will purposefully avoid playing players better than them just so that they can protect their ratio. If you want a real idea of how good you are your best bet would be to attend a local tournament.

That said my W/L is somewhere around 80%.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
To first list off, SSB3DS is my first time entering the competitive scene in a Smash game. Because of this, I expected my expectations of myself being really low. I was half-right.

Currently only using Kirby has yielded a 23-10 record for me in FG, but not without suffering a 7-game losing streak. But you know, it kind of opens the box of ideas of what to do in these scenarios.

I think the important thing to notice is that you are identifying your own weaknesses and building a frame that will make you better. Sometimes you may have to suffer a long losing streak before really appreciating some things. And remembering that there are people out there that help ready you for battle is a comforting thought indeed.

Agiknight

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2766-9080-7886
I never thought I was good, but I turned out to still be worse than I thought vs people online. I'm definitely improving, though. Had a 20% winrate at 200 games, now I'm up to 30% in 300.

BBC7

Smash Ace
It's reversed for me, it feels like "I thought I was bad but I'm really not". After getting annihilated by my friends and being seen as a pawn to them in Project M, I was rather surprised to find that I'm about about 75% online after 100 games, and 80% local after about 25 games. I guess Smash 4 is just my time to shine.

Last edited:

響「Hibiki」

Smash Cadet
You aren't allowed to boast your % until you have 300+ matches.

Otherwise you're just yodeling an inflated number due to lack of data.
I want to highlight this. Add your match count when you talk about win rates

BBC7

Smash Ace
I'm not really boasting, I'm just saying that 75% after 100 matches is much better than I would anticipate at that point. Although I will say that I'm not one to leave a fight because I'm losing, so most of my losses are from a few individuals. Meanwhile, I beat many individuals in order to get the wins I have. I actually think my win percentage will go up if this is consistent, since it's already gradually going up to begin with.

Anyways, this is what I remember it being at.

113 battles
88 victories
25 losses

EDIT: That's 78%, so even better. Even though it's likely an inflated number, I myself believe that it will prove to be accurate for quite a while.

Last edited:
Top Bottom