• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I thought I was good but I'm really not" Thread

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
So, after playing a healthy amount of online matches, some of them with you fine people but mostly with random strangers, I've come to an unsettling discovery. I am not really good at this game, or at the very least, I'm not as good as I thought I was. Getting my butt kicked repeatedly online in For Glory 1v1 matches reminded me that I am in need of ALOT of practice/training. With that being said, I'm curious if there's anyone else on here that felt this way when they went against people online. I'm still enjoying the crap out of online and I am winning about 60% of my matches, or so my online stats tell me although it certainly doesn't feel that way :p However, I'm finding I've either lost my touch when it comes to Smash Bros. or I'm just not as good as I thought I was.

So, who else felt this way when they challenged some random strangers or friends online? Hopefully I'm not alone! D:

Terramorphic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3625-8838-7933
I've been out of smash for about a year or so. I thought it'd be easier to get into the game and pick up where I left off... not so. I'm pretty bad at controlling and moving my fighter around, and combos aren't going to well for me, specifically sheiks down throw to up air kill combo. In short, I'm not doing to well yet... but getting better every day, I can short hop again now :D

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
I have yet to play with anyone here and I would bet good money most of you will kick my arse, but I did good in For Glory today. 114 wins and 21 losses, most of which were due to sticking to closely matched rivals for hours (so plenty of victories and some defeats too). I'm content so far, although it's obvious there's a lot left to improve.

Last edited:

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I can't win in For Fun to save my life. I always get second.

I'm doing good in For Glory tho. I'm pretty good at reading opponents.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
The only For Glory match I lost was when I was away from the game. :o...I've had a lot of experience with Smash though and my main is actually good in this game.

Been running around as "Bones" the grey/white Bowser if anyone has faced me yet. lol

I guess the thing to do is get used to this. It's not quite like Brawl and it's definitely not like Melee. Improvement will come with practice. It's just I have a good mental game and have been learning to predict a lot of these players. lol

Spirst

I'm doing really well in For Glory so far. I usually cycle between Greninja/Jigglypuff/Charizard with the name "Spirst". So far, my winning percentage is at 89%. Liking this mode a lot.

Last edited:

flacofaloc

Smash Cadet
I am getting destroyed in for glory. I have like a 12% win rate. I should actually try all the characters and try to find a main before i continue trying.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
maintaining a 90% win ratio in for glory is pretty easy i find. currently have a perfect record in for glory.

dabs

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1607-3467-6983
I haven't played too much for glory yet, but 1 win 3 losses so far...

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
For the first few matches I had I came to that conclusion, then all of a sudden I started winning like crazy ._. . But in the end tbh, I'm not sure if I'm just getting average players or if I'm actually playing against good players. It really seems like when I fight someone that seems good, it seems like I'm getting my butt kicked but I just SOMEHOW stay alive, and SOMEHOW end up getting the win... In my conclusion, I need more practice if I want to reach the level I'd like to be.

Kirbyquake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirbyquake
3DS FC
0430-8315-5741
As yo progress, the people you get paired up start to get really good. I had a 100% win ratio in my first hour of playing, but now i get wrecked every other match :ohwell:.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I've had the game for a while so i feel bad for stomping people on their first day D:
On my japanese version I have a 65% win ratio out of 1500 matches though so it's ok.

Last edited:

rainsaint

Smash Rookie
I think I'm at a 40 something percent win ratio. Was at like 60 then NinjaLink and a really good little Mac came around and stomped me a bit

Aura Warrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-2557-2596
What is not the "I thought I was good but I'm really not" Thread? Stop saying that you are actually good, make me feel bad :(
Just kidding, but yeah, I'm not doing well on For Glory. I blame the CPU, I've been playing for weeks at a Japanese version, but only against the CPU without playing online, and I always managed to win at level 9 with 2-3 lives to spare.
Now I know that the CPU is really easy in this game.
Perhaps I've gotten too used to CPU's attack patterns, maybe.

Last edited:

Riggy Rascal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-5630-4667
This kinda scares me. I'm riding pretty high right now with my For Glory score - 13 and 1. Granted, those fights are distributed between what, three or four people?
I fear the day I get worked by someone five or six times, start getting bitter and red in the face, and get taunted at between each of my Falls before my opponent leaves me as a steaming grump. It will happen, it's unavoidable.

But, I guess that's when I should take a look back at the wins I'm most proud of - no one but yourself can deny you of those boosts, so I try to use them to motivate myself into getting into the next fight.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I don't know what you people are talking about, I can't practice against bots because they're cheaters. (level 9 mario bot and his cape is literally ********).
I have like a 50% winrate but I was just ******* around and picking new characters.

Khao

Smash Lord
Haven't played online yet, but I have absolutely no idea what to expect.

Is the skill level generally different in For Fun and For Glory? Cause I'd like to play some For Fun to get a feel for online before jumping into For Glory.

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
For me it was playing some SmashBoards members and realizing how much better they are than random For Glory players. If I want to get better, I'll definitely have to play some people who I know are good at the game!

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
i think its more the servers than we arent as good as we thought. I have yet to have a game without lag, but its release day so kinda expected.

I started roflstomping Lv9 computers about 20min after i bought the game. Done about ~30 random 1v1 battles online and im willing to bet im 30% W/L lol but mostly due to input lag, such as my character constantly double-dashing to the side and missing an opportunity.

Ragnorok_Kitty

Smash Rookie
I actually thought people in 1v1 would be good and I would get my ass whipped. Apparently not. I won a majority of my matches and utterly destroyed DK with ZSS.

Pretty legit.

Last edited:

pikafire

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2906-9493
I knew I was bad, but I figured I'd be a little better than this... Played 2 for glory matches, lost them both and didn't get a single kill. Played 1 for fun match, got 1 kill and got 2nd place.

But I did try out lots of characters and realized that my mains from the other ssb's probably won't carry over this time around! Nbd!

D

Deleted member 269706

Yay, a club I can finally join
Nah, but in all seriousness, I haven't played enough online to know if I'm good or bad yet...I don't think now is the best time to judge that seeing as everyone is switching mains and trying to train as the game JUST came out.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Expected win percentage: 30%
Actual win percentage: 53%
Win percentage for last 10 matches: 70%

I'm a lot better than I thought. Most of my losses have been against some really good players. I've had a few derpy opponents but they tend to leave after I 2 stock them.

Also I'm doing pretty good as Rosaluma. Gone 8-5 with her so far. I've experimented with other characters but mostly I'm enjoying the Amazon Space Princess.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Out of 15 For Glory matches so far, I've only won two... TT~TT this thread was made for me.
One of the guys had a Japanese name so he must've been practicing for month! Oh the hand cramps.

D

Deleted member 245254

You aren't allowed to boast your % until you have 300+ matches.

Otherwise you're just yodeling an inflated number due to lack of data.

AlienPK

Smash Rookie
I'm doing alright so far, i'm 115 out of 125 in for glory. I seem to always get wrecked by diddy and yoshi, swtiching off between little mac, marth, and captain falcon

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I too have come to the realization that I am not as skilled at Smash Bros as I thought I was but it wasn't from playing For Glory. On the night before the release of Smash 3DS, there was a Brawl Tournament. I played as Marth and ended up losing to Mario. I straight up got outplayed lol. It made me come to the realization that there is a fundamental in Smash Bros that I've never truly come to understand and I don't know how to discover it for myself. I feel like I'm at a skill ceiling for the series in general. I believe the saying that "you are only as good as your competition" applies for me as I don't have a skilled training partner.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
You aren't allowed to boast your % until you have 300+ matches.

Otherwise you're just yodeling an inflated number due to lack of data.
This is true. There's no way to really measure skill when you only have <100 data points.

However, considering that I expected to get owned hard in every single matchup, I think it's safe to say that I'm better than I expected to be.

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
At first I thought I sucked, but then I played my friend who always beat me in Brawl for the first time and I beat him, I also won 3 of my first For Glory matches but besides that I've gotten my ass whooped. I try and stay in for 3 games even against people who are beating me, and I even managed to beat a really good Robin. So far I'm really inconsistent, I have to work on my aerials before I stand any decent chance against anyone good.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Everyone thinks they're good at Smash Bros because they don't go outside their limited little pool of friends. They don't realize that the group sucks as a whole. :)

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
Everyone thinks they're good at Smash Bros because they don't go outside their limited little pool of friends. They don't realize that the group sucks as a whole. :)
Spoken like a boss~

Rather than wanting to quit when I face off against someone better, I prefer to stay in and learn. Of course, sometimes people leave cause I'm bad but hey, I'll get to that level eventually ^^;

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am actually much better than I thought I was. Sure, I still lose a lot and I am not exactly a good player, but I thought I would lose a lot more than I do :p

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
I expected way more players to be slightly good, instead of quite bad or really good. I still have no idea how good or bad I am.

Beastferu

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryPhrax
3DS FC
3351-4134-0653
I am total ass at this game. No surprise though, having never played a smash game competitively before I am going in anew and people are easily taking advantage of that. It would be nice to have a teacher of some sorts but I don't know how one goes about finding one.

PuzzlePrism

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperMudkip
3DS FC
0301-9791-4897
Thought I'd be a whole lot better honestly. I'm getting better though so hopefully I'll be able to beat my friends soon.

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
I'm getting creamed in For Fun, while in For Glory i'm doing a whole lot better.
I just need to practice more.

Top Bottom