• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I know i'm better than this guy but I just can't beat him" feeling

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
Original poster you need to learn more than one character. Also if you fail to adapt of course he will keep using the same strategy.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I think a better title for this would be "I can tell this guy isn't very good, but I end up losing to him anyway". Now, I completely understand this feeling and it happens to me just about all the time every day I play. Situations like this can be for me:

1. I can catch onto somebody's strategy, but I still don't know how to counter it.
2. Sometimes my execution messes up (usually when I'm recovering and SD) and I end up doing the wrong move, which gets me killed. Usually happens when I'm playing Sonic or Greninja most of the time.
3. I make a wrong prediction of what he's gonna do next, but guess wrong and I get killed for it.

I wonder if this kind of feeling will ever go away for me.... But I must say that if you're constantly losing to someone you think is bad/mediocre with a predictable strategy, I'd personally take out the "I know I'm better than this guy" part (even if I was talking about myself, I'm still not very good). Because that would mean you aren't as good as you think you are and you still got a lot to learn. If you only lost a handful of fights against him and started to turn the tables eventually, then I'd agree. But if you're losing at least 2/3 of the fights and are STILL losing, then it'd probably make you just as bad, if not worse, than your opponent, even if you refuse to admit it. Or maybe your opponent was simply better than you thought he was, either way.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Sometimes I play with people I know personally and they insist on turning items on without asking. Sometimes I get a very cheesy character matchup and I know I can bounce right back and punish them for their disrespect because I've done it a dozen times before. Every once in a while I derp hard and SD.

There -are- things other than lag that can screw you out of a match that have nothing to do with skill.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
Sometimes I play with people I know personally and they insist on turning items on without asking.
I was playing Robin against my friends Ike in the middle of English and he turned on equipment while I was in the training room. He had like +100 Attack and I still beat him after him hitting me first for like 50%. That was some cheese right there. I definitely prefer playing against people who have a legitimate competitive mentality, helps everyone grow a lot faster.

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I've had that feeling before. There's some players I know I can take on, but for some reason I end up screwing up and it costs me the match. Today I fought a Little Mac player who I definitely was able to take on, but for some reason I just couldn't block or evade some of those Smash attacks fast enough. He was at 1 stock left and was at a kill percentage, he ended up killing me at around 80% I think. I guess I'm just not that good and need more practice or something.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I've been doing some thinking lately and I've come to a conclusion: most people here are referring to skill level, combos one can pull off, mindgames, etc. Typically, one doesn't have a high skill level when they rely on spamming the same attack over and over again. Yet we fall for the spam. We are always expecting something different and they do the exact same thing. This is why I've formatted a second category of skill: tactical. Tactical basically means that who is superior on the battlefield. Tactical is more important than skill, though skill can influence tactical results. As such, that person who wins due to spamming the same thing over and over again is better tactically than the opponent, since the opponent can't seem to counter the spam. However, skill-level wise it goes to who used advanced techniques and combos more effectively. This may go to the spamming player anyway, but it may go to the losing player. Tactical loss while having superior skill level creates salt, which results in threads like these.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty freakin' delusional (in your situation).

The only times the feeling might be understandable is if you use a mid/low tier character and lose to a top tier character.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
That's pretty freakin' delusional (in your situation).

The only times the feeling might be understandable is if you use a mid/low tier character and lose to a top tier character.
Who? Me specifically or everyone who is salty about this in general?

Edit: I meant the topic in general.

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Who? Me specifically or everyone who is salty about this in general?

Edit: I meant the topic in general.
I was just talking to the OP, but I guess it applies to you too. If you're losing a whole lot and falling for dumb stuff, I don't know why you would come to the conclusion that you're better.

To me, that's like giving yourself a pass... if you can admit that the other person is better it might encourage you to practice and not fall for that spam/react better.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I was just talking to the OP, but I guess it applies to you too. If you're losing a whole lot and falling for dumb stuff, I don't know why you would come to the conclusion that you're better.

To me, that's like giving yourself a pass... if you can admit that the other person is better it might encourage you to practice and not fall for that spam/react better.
So... Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me?

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

I know. That's why I split into two categories and rated tactical over skill. People here are referring to skill level, but it doesn't matter how much skill you have, if you can't secure the tactical win you just are not as good as the other, period.

If it sounds like I'm trying to make an excuse, then I apologize. That was not my intent. My intent was based around understanding. There are several matches which I know I was outclassed skill-wise, yet I still won. We've all had that experience I imagine. It could be based on match-ups, landing lucky moves, or having a good/bad day (aka tactical). What I'm trying to say is that you can pull off all these powerful, damaging, and fancy combos all day long, but it doesn't mean anything if you keep falling for the same trick (which, I guess would affect skill level) and you lose because of it.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Lucario players are the perfect example for me. I'm always able to do good against them when they're at lower percents, but once they reach the 100s, the matchup just turns around for some reason. Clearly I need to practice getting over that mechanic of his.

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
Like 75% of the people on FG are spammers, but for some reason, I ALWAYS can't land the finishing blow. Oh well. Especially Samus and Link/Toon Link spammers are so annoying.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Like 75% of the people on FG are spammers, but for some reason, I ALWAYS can't land the finishing blow. Oh well. Especially Samus and Link/Toon Link spammers are so annoying.
If you can't finish your plate and they beat you by spamming, you're not better than them. No johns dude.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If you can't finish your plate and they beat you by spamming, you're not better than them. No johns dude.
But if you add lag, then it's a losing game... I hate lag...

NairWizard

Somewhere
Posting to disagree with one recurring notion in this thread: no, you aren't necessarily worse than a player you lost to.

Yes, losing is your fault. You could have won.

But maybe you win against a wider variety of players than the guy you lost to. Maybe he doesn't win at all. Maybe his strategy is just a mental block for you.

"The better player always wins" is flat out not true.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Posting to disagree with one recurring notion in this thread: no, you aren't necessarily worse than a player you lost to.

But maybe you win against a wider variety of players than the guy you lost to. Maybe he doesn't win at all. Maybe his strategy is just a mental block for you.

Unless you're fighting Lag. You will never win against Lag. Lag is God Player.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
You can also lose to complete lack of ethic to fight a spammer

3 out of 5 times when I fight a Link and he back rolls 5 times to get to the other stage and you know theres no fun to be had

Redd500

Smash Apprentice

That raises an interesting point. Say two players have played several thousand matches, but one has a 90% win rate while the other has a 10% win rate. If the 10% can consistently beat the 90%, then is the 10% better than the 90% flat out, or is that not the case?

NairWizard

Somewhere
That raises an interesting point. Say two players have played several thousand matches, but one has a 90% win rate while the other has a 10% win rate. If the 10% can consistently beat the 90%, then is the 10% better than the 90% flat out, or is that not the case?
Depends on what kinds of players the two are playing against. If the won with 90% winrate beats higher-level players consistently, then of course he's better, even if he loses in that one particular player vs. player matchup.

Characters don't just counter characters. Sometimes players and playstyles counter other players.

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
Anyone can beat anyone once. I know I personally get that feeling when I'm moving in to edge guard a sheik and instead of sweet spotting the edge, they jump again and do a back air for the kill. That move only ever works on me once after an hour or so of playing the same idiots who don't mix it up, and if they gave me a rematch I'd probably two stick them with my main, but instead they leave and it drives me crazy.

Now, that's just an example of how skill does not guarantee victory, just increases the chances of it. If you play Someone multiple times, and lose more than you win, there's no excuse. Whether it is an off day, or a bad match up, they beat you fair and square and complaining is pointless

chipz

Smash Apprentice
Dealing with projectile spamming characters is very frustrating when there is lag online.
Since you have to be on the attack, you're likely going to be trying to get them to roll so you can punish, but the roll is incredibly quick so you have to use moves with multiple/lasting hurtboxes, which aren't nearly as good as smash attacks for KOing.

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
It really makes me Salty when the other player wins against a character you just picked for fun (or trying out after hitting the lab.) and they win barely. then leave and you never get the salty run back.... The input lag that comes with some of the online matches depending on ping is just ridiculous. I sometimes wish the game had something similar to Mario Kart 8 where you could easily pick "Worldwide" or "Region".

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
This is a toxic mindset to me, all too often in the past I get this desire to "#shrekt" someone and end up either having a harder time than I should have or losing. If someone can beat you, that means they're doing something right. Stop underestimating them and take them seriously. Generally, this feeling of "I'm better" is valid but it causes you to play differently or utilize less focus, and when they recognize you as the better player and thus are playing at their best... Obviously things will be closer.

Never underestimate anyone, if you don't want to play your best and aren't practicing, sandbagging is likely going to hurt you in the long run.

Last edited:

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
The 90% guy is still better. He might have one weak matchup..

I am also annoyed when people seem to think that a match between the same characters ("ditto") ultimately decides who is better. Nope, this is just one out of 50 matchups.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
As an Ike main, trust me, I know your pain. Ninty needs to do something to either nerf projectile spammers or buff close quarters players...I'm getting real sick of all these Peaches doing nothing but pulling turnips out of the ground, or the villagers spamming their Fairs, or Zelda and her damn fireblast/teleport combo.
i feel your pain im not even that great but i feel your pain

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
The number one that kills me is people blindly charging up side smashes as I go to approach. Then, I can't help but feel like they think they're better en me for it! It's the number one reason I catch myself ragequitting.

Now I know how pubcrawlers feel.

Top Bottom