• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I know i'm better than this guy but I just can't beat him" feeling

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I certainly know the feeling... :/ The worst of it is when you always end up with both of you on high percent on your last stock!
Of course, then there's always the players that keep using the sam frustrating strategy, and even though it's predictable, it works. I fought a Mario recently that only camped at the edge of the stage, before throwing me off and FLUDD spamming til I was pushed too far away... -_- Ugh...

FaytSealsU

Smash Rookie
I had that feeling on the first match but after losing 2 or 3 times to the same person I admit there better then me even though cursing them in my head lol. In the end though the loses helped me get better. The new characters give me trouble, but that's my own fault in not getting to know there moves.

One For Glory battle though I had the feeling I should not have won. I was playing a Falcon orange costume I think and I was pink captain falcon. He was stomping me and got the first kill. I got a lucky knee or front smash in to kill him once. Then he got me to like 100+% while he only at 30 something % near the left edge. So I run in and grab and somehow he falls out after 1 hit and to his death. Though I laughed harder then ever I still felt I shouldn't have won that one.

Last edited:

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
Usually happens to me against roll spamming Samus, Macs, and Rosalumas. Seriously. There's no reason to read or predict what they're doing, because they always just do random stuff even when they're not anywhere near you. Seriously want to bite my fingers off every time these guys pop up.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
If you lost to them, you're not better than them. Just sayin.
So if I lose a hundred times to someone and then win once by a purely luck Bob-omb, and then leave the lobby, i'm better than them?

Nothing is that simple.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
So if I lose a hundred times to someone and then win once by a purely luck Bob-omb, and then leave the lobby, i'm better than them?

Nothing is that simple.
You know that's not what this thread is though. This is people saying "They roll spam and I lost but I'm still better" which is a john. The issue is complex but saying your better than someone once you've lost to them is a bit much.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
You know that's not what this thread is though. This is people saying "They roll spam and I lost but I'm still better" which is a john. The issue is complex but saying your better than someone once you've lost to them is a bit much.
Both posts are vague and nonspecific. Any situation is applicable, and I chose to apply the randomness of Peach (and G&W). That's where the complexity of the issue comes from, any and all situations are applicable (Lucario i mean c'mon u gota understand that one lol).

I definitely understand the more general applications, with roll spamming, specific move spamming, etc.. It becomes more than a battle of ability or wits, it becomes a battle of emotions. It get's frustrating and it's not unlikely that you'll start auto-piloting on a frustration-high. It usually roots from not respecting the opponent or unfamiliarity with a playstyle; which may very well be a bad one, but still alien to you.

I surely have been there many times before, as I definitely wouldn't consider myself much of a "Seasoned Smash Veteran", and playing a lot of Marth in Smash 4, the exploitability of certain characters, mechanics, moves etc. becomes very apparent to someone who plays a character that doesn't have much to deal with it. Characters with any form of projectile can limit a projectileless characters options to an extreme extent, and doesn't take any skill or mechanic ability to apply.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Both posts are vague and nonspecific. Any situation is applicable, and I chose to apply the randomness of Peach (and G&W). That's where the complexity of the issue comes from, any and all situations are applicable (Lucario i mean c'mon u gota understand that one lol).

I definitely understand the more general applications, with roll spamming, specific move spamming, etc.. It becomes more than a battle of ability or wits, it becomes a battle of emotions. It get's frustrating and it's not unlikely that you'll start auto-piloting on a frustration-high. It usually roots from not respecting the opponent or unfamiliarity with a playstyle; which may very well be a bad one, but still alien to you.

I surely have been there many times before, as I definitely wouldn't consider myself much of a "Seasoned Smash Veteran", and playing a lot of Marth in Smash 4, the exploitability of certain characters, mechanics, moves etc. becomes very apparent to someone who plays a character that doesn't have much to deal with it. Characters with any form of projectile can limit a projectileless characters options to an extreme extent, and doesn't take any skill or mechanic ability to apply.
But going on autopilot because they're spamming is bad play. If that happens, you're being out played, as lame as it sounds. Keeping your frustration in check is part of being a good player. It doesn't exist in this vacuum.

Marth doesn't have the best tools to deal with projectiles, but he should be able to Fair through a lot of the smaller stuff, which should alleviate those issues. The power of shields and dodging/ rolling in this game makes dealing with projectiles a slight bit easier than it has been in other Smash games. Saying throwing projectiles can shut a character down easily, without being demanding is crap though. If they're just throwing **** willy nilly, it's penetrable, usually very easily. For projectiles to be potent they have to be used well.

I shouldn't have replied to this thread though. The subject of it, and a lot of the complaints within it are very symptomatic of being a newer player. Nothing against you guys, and I wish you well going forward, but this kind of thing is a phase you'll pass in time.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
But going on autopilot because they're spamming is bad play. If that happens, you're being out played, as lame as it sounds. Keeping your frustration in check is part of being a good player. It doesn't exist in this vacuum.

Marth doesn't have the best tools to deal with projectiles, but he should be able to Fair through a lot of the smaller stuff, which should alleviate those issues. The power of shields and dodging/ rolling in this game makes dealing with projectiles a slight bit easier than it has been in other Smash games. Saying throwing projectiles can shut a character down easily, without being demanding is crap though. If they're just throwing **** willy nilly, it's penetrable, usually very easily. For projectiles to be potent they have to be used well.

I shouldn't have replied to this thread though. The subject of it, and a lot of the complaints within it are very symptomatic of being a newer player. Nothing against you guys, and I wish you well going forward, but this kind of thing is a phase you'll pass in time.
I didn't say that mindless projectiles shut characters like Marth down, I said it limits their options to an extreme extent; at least relative to the ease of applying the pressure. This particularly applies to charged projectiles, which can easily make the game into "the floor is lava". I know there are ways around it, but yea i'm still quite a new player and learning how to make my way around these things personally.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Reminds me of the typical online shooter / moba stuff. You go kill someone, they call you a noob. You tell them that they got killed by a noob then, by their own logic, and must be even worse. Then they are in denial and mothers get sexually engaged.

The simple thing is, everything that is in the game, that is used to win, be it lame, campy, boring, cheap or whatever, is legit. The one who wins is the winner, and in a 1on1 scenario the winner is the better player all around, otherwise he would not have won. Including 'lame' tactics into your playstyle to win does in fact make you stronger, and whining about it after a loss will halt your own skill progression.
Experiencing the feeling that you overestimate yourself and think that you are better is normal, it happens to a lot of people. But instead of looking for excuses you need to accept where you are skill-wise. Once you've managed that, you can work on getting wooped less.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
For me, it's more of a "I know what my opponent is going to do but I keep running into it" kind of emotion. He up smashes me when I run to him to attack, and I know this, but my fingers act faster than my mind, I guess, and I get hit. It's a bit frustrating at times.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
I just had the exact opposite problem. Played again my cousin. Lots of characters between both of us and lots of match ups and I always won. But we both know that I'm a worse player. Compared to him My movements are slower and clumsier. I can't pull off tight combos like he can. Almost everything he does in the same situation is a more complex and more efficient compared to what I do but for some reason he could just never beat me. I think it's purely because I have better fighting sense and mind games. 386

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
For me it typically it boils down to "why am I being so stupid?" Everything can just fall apart if I slip up on my timing once while attempting to dismantle silly strategies that I feel I should be counteracting easily. I don't blame them for doing what is working against me, but underperforming in general (or just feeling like I have, which is what the thread is apparently about) causes me to cry so many bottles of tears. In other words, I have lots to drink when I play like ****. Still, I can manage to pull off a win or two the game after that nowadays, so I concern myself even less with trying to excuse any poor performances of mine (I definitely still call bull**** sometimes, especially before I take the time to think about exactly why I lost).

I know when I'm outmatched though; my problem isn't being reminded that I can and will improve at this game. I don't feel like nearly as big of an idiot when I lose to someone who isn't playing so predictably that it's mind-boggling to imagine myself losing to their obvious tactics.

I mainly get curious when I fall prey to strategies I consider awful. That may sound unreasonably arrogant considering the fact of me losing but I don't make that assessment based solely on their strategy; it's also made based on my recognition of how I have played in my history with Smash in general. I think back on how I once abused tactics that worked on my friends and a decent percentage of the people I played with online but earned me an ass whooping when it came to more local competition. So I see their play and think "how am I not delivering this ass whooping that they are clearly asking for with what seems to be almost everything they do?"

During the game I make considerations but none of that ever keeps me from feeling like I did nothing but **** up during the entire match rather than get outplayed. I always give it at least one more shot if possible, but if I lose again I cut the excuses altogether and keep working on those areas in which I appear to be weak. I have been learning from my losses more and more.

Last edited:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Anyone who causes button input lag. Anyone. This happened to me against one Pac-Man player and he literally just stood there and rolled when I got close. But every single time *woops* fall of the stage, try to up-special back, input lag takes over and I die. Then he would taunt me like he knew what he was doing.

Rambolav

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rambolav
3DS FC
4210-4112-3193
Coming from the Starcraft 2 ladder where I got as high as the Master level, I learned a lot about how important mentality is in competition/games. One of the things I learned was that if I lose, it's my own fault. That's it. If someone is using a cheap strategy, it should be very beatable if you learn from it and make a slight change. Suddenly, the cheap player is left with a strategy that no longer works and you can proceed in beating them. If the cheap strategy truly is unbeatable, it's bad game design and that is NOT the case with Smash. Certainly not on a level of 99 % of the players playing, anyway.

Deciding that you are better than someone else anyway before the results are shown is just walking into an arrogant trap, and you should get out of it as soon as possible.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I've had that feeling a grand total of 3 times now. It usually happens after I beat someone like 3 times in a row, then they choose megaman or link and just roll roll roll roll roll - that back roll of links is really good btw

I lost to the link twice, then I went link and timed him out.

It makes me realize two things

-I'm not good at countering babies who run
-I need a secondary that is good at camping

Since I always clutch things out as DDD for some reason, I bet I make a lot of people feel the same way.
Got bodied by a ZSS and I was at 200%, I land a N-air and get a F-Smash at 40 and killed. lol

Last edited:

24Hejo

Smash Rookie
Of course I know this feeling! This happens all of the time on For Glory. Usually with a Mario or a Captain Falcon constantly dash attacking, grabbing, and/or rolling all over the place! It's frustrating but the only reason why it works is because I'm letting it work .:urg: The only answer to it I can think of is to increase spacing, stop rolling and stop throwing out moves(unless I have a projectile).

ItsBearTime

Smash Rookie
I have the opposite feeling, where I feel like I'm always fighting people better than me, and when I win it usually feels like a fluke. Like, I usually end up at a big percent-deficit, but I get in a lucky f-smash for the KO, or they barely misjudge their recovery and end up just missing the ledge.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the people berating people for johning aren't even reading what people are posting and are only reading the title.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
I feel like the people berating people for johning aren't even reading what people are posting and are only reading the title.
They're not. That's my point in my previous post. Nearly every post on this thread is people owning up to their flaws, yet some people just read the title, and nothing but. There's very little actual Johning going on here.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
They're not. That's my point in my previous post. Nearly every post on this thread is people owning up to their flaws, yet some people just read the title, and nothing but. There's very little actual Johning going on here.
A lot of people still explicitly say in their posts that they think they're better than people who are using/ abusing certain tactics. If you lost, you lost. Feeling like you're better than your opponent after a lost is jokes.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people still explicitly say in their posts that they think they're better than people who are using/ abusing certain tactics. If you lost, you lost. Feeling like you're better than your opponent after a lost is jokes.
Maybe the phrase "I'm better than them" in this context means something along the lines of "They're using a predictable tactic so I should be able to defeat them" and then they can't. BUT, instead of saying "I'm losing because they're abusing crappy tactics" they're saying "I'm losing because of my own flaws" and isn't that the opposite of Johning?

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
d00d this thread is clearly for salty ppl why are others antagonizing the already sodium-filled? Let there be salt

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Dear OP. Emotion is the worst thing to inject, since it interferes with objective, analytic gameplay and consistent execution.
Pride is one of the strongest sentiments that creates emotion, since one views himself as better than the other they think they should not lose, thus become upset, or when they win they feel assured in their pride, thus happy, though morbidly so. Humility is the greatest virtue to stop all emotion, therein lies joy and peace and detachment from winning or losing, allowing one to will the best of their ability.
Spoken like a true Jedi. This is something I need to remind myself, perhaps there should be a Smash Code or something:

There is no emotion, there is peace;
There is no pride, there is equality;
There is no salt, there is admiration;
There are no Johns, but I seriously blocked that.

"There are no Johns, but I grabbed c'mon 3DS.
There are no Johns, but I air dodged that really I did.
There are no Johns, but grab to dthrow to uptilt upair x5 seriously sakurai?"

Peace is a lie, there is only passion
Through salt, I gain perseverance
Through perseverance, I gain knowledge
Through knowledge, I gain skill
Through skill, my habits are broken
The Diddy shall free me.

-Hope you Star Wars fans enjoyed that. lol

Last edited:

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
Spoken like a true Jedi. This is something I need to remind myself, perhaps there should be a Smash Code or something:

The Diddy shall free me.

Becoming a Diddy main is the first step towards freeing the salt inside you.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

The Diddy shall free me.

Lol, so true. Except that Diddy will not free me, but :4ness: and :lucas: will for me.

I've suffered the taste of bitter defeat and frustration many a time, and that just motivates me to become better so that I don't keep making the same stupid mistakes or keep walking into the same stupid traps that I am 100% responsible for walking into in the first place (unless there's extreme lag).

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
This is only true if the online lag/input lag is what makes you lose to the opponent. But if its a fair playing field, and you lose more than 3 times to the same person, then you are not better than him/her. He/she is better than you.

Trust me, ive had the same feeling against players i thought of as "noob" who beat me 5 times in a row, doing the same tactics, but then i realized that its actually them who is better than me, and i am the one who is falling for the same tactic over and over.

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
This is only true if the online lag/input lag is what makes you lose to the opponent. But if its a fair playing field, and you lose more than 3 times to the same person, then you are not better than him/her. He/she is better than you.

Trust me, ive had the same feeling against players i thought of as "noob" who beat me 5 times in a row, doing the same tactics, but then i realized that its actually them who is better than me, and i am the one who is falling for the same tactic over and over.
And this is the perfect attitude to have :) If more people thought like this then the salinity levels of the smash community would be considerably lower xD

Top Bottom