• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hole In Our Hearts - How Absent Characters Affect the Metagame

In 2008, when Super Smash Bros. Brawl was released, a new figure in the roster appeared. No, it wasn’t a newcomer, but quite the opposite: it was the figure of absent characters. Despite bringing a whole bunch of newcomers, nobody could hide the fact that there were certain characters that were nowhere to be seen.

When Smash 4 released, however, another new figure appeared: the figure of a returning veteran, characters that did not appear in onegame but came back to duke it out once again. Only three such characters exist, namely, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy, thelast two being DLC.

However, there are still certain characters that are missing from both Meleeand Brawl, and they not only left a hole in their fans’ hearts butalso a hole in the metagame.

Let’s start by analyzing the characters that debuted in Melee but are absent in Smash 4:​

Ice Climbers

Many Smash advocates remember Popo and Nana and are pretty wounded by their absence in the latest installment. However, it wasn’t always like this. The Ice Climbers were at some point going to appear in Smash 4; in fact, in the first versions of Super Smash Bros.for the Nintendo 3DS, a glitch could be triggered that made the in-game audience chant the names of the ICs.

Despite us not knowing whether wobbling would be back, what does their absence mean for the current meta? For starters, the viability of many characters. Their amazing stage presence caused some characters to drop in the tier list or simply stop being used by players in favor of other characters with more options.

Another effect is the “neutrality” of the starter stages. Their stage control abilities always made stages like Final Destination less fair in some MUs. Characters with less stage control struggled because of the lack of escape options like platforms and had difficulties KOing because of the relatively wide blast zones.​

Pichu

Always considered an inferior version of Pikachu, Pichu was never seen in high levels of play. Suffering from poor control options, low combo potential, and little KO power, Pikachu was always preferred in competitive play.

Pikachu is currently one of the top 10 characters in the tier list, and although we cannot know how things would have turned out if he reappeared, many of his attributes made him very inferior, such as his recoil damage from most of his attacks, which limited his optimal options to just a few moves, or his incredibly below-average weight, which made him vulnerable to most kill moves.
Young Link

Young Link’s absence was somehow filled with his googly-eyed counterpart, Toon Link, and even more so in the latest installment, as Young Link’s Fire Bow is one of Toon Link’s custom special moves. With similar stats and an almost identical moveset, Young Link’s substitution has pretty much filled the hole that this childversion of Link left.

Not only do these characters have similar movesets, but they are also akin in their relationship with Link: both of them have placed higher than Link in various tier lists.
---

Although the three returning veterans covered some of the absences from Melee, others werestill left behind from Brawl: Snake, the Metal Gear protagonist; Wolf, the leader of StarWolf; and Squirtle and Ivysaur, the Generation 1 Pokémon starters (and evolution).
Snake

Another absent character with amazing stage control tools. He can place mines, grenades and C4 strategically to catch careless fighters. Snake, accordingly to his military nature, is tough to kill and excels on the ground, although his air mobility is among the poorest in thegame.

Both playing as and against Snake requires many outside factors, includingmemory and awareness, or at least a good eye and a good TV to locate Snake’s traps, of course without deviating your attention from the battle at hand.

As a mentally exhausting character, it may relieve some people to hear he’s not back, but by the same token, Snake mains may not be very happy with his absence.
Wolf

Wolf’s appearance in Smash 4 seemed like a sure thing. Brawl veterans like Zero Suit Samus, Toon Link, Pit, and Wario that returned sure made it look like everyone was coming back, and when that did not immediately seem to be the case, DLC also provided hope that he was coming back.

Currently, heis only present in a similar fashion as YoungLink, withcustom special moves that resemble his moveset. However, his absence is one of the most memorable among fans.

Squirtle & Ivysaur

These two, alongsideCharizard, formed the Pokémon Trainer trio, who had two main unique mechanics: Type Effectiveness and Stamina.

The former works quite similarly to how it works in the home series, in which a Rock-Paper-Scissors-like cycle works among the three types of Pokémon: Fire beats Grass, which beats Water, which beats Fire. In Brawl, anattack that is not very effective deals 10% less knockback, while an attack that is super effective it deals 10% more knockback. By simple math, Ivysaur was affected widely by this mechanic because of hisvulnerability to fire attacks, which were more common than water and grass attacks. Obviously, thismechanicaffectedmatchups, giving Ivysaur several disadvantageousMUs as 19 characters could use fire attacks, and balancing Squirtle’s light weight due to hisresistance to fire attacks.

The second mechanic was more complicated. All Pokémon started with 120 Stamina Units, and they lost 1 unit per second and1 unit perfailed attack; Pokémon gained 2 Stamina Units per second when on the sidelines. Also, all Stamina was refilled when a Pokémon was KO’d. When Stamina reached a certain point, the Pokémon would change its stance, aesthetically looking tired, and as a little advantage, having a smaller sprite, hitbox, and hurtbox. However, this seeming advantage came as a warning, as it meantthey were running low on Stamina andthat their attacks would soon deal less damage and knockback.

Obviously, these limitations were a burden to PT mains and, as a direct effect of Ivysaur and Squirtle’s absences, these mechanics are gone, releasing Charizard from some of his disadvantages. This has balanced some of Charizard’s MUs, but not many, as the only characters with water-type attacks (which would be super effective against Charizard in Brawl) are Mario and his F.L.U.D.D., Greninja, and Kirby having previously inhaled Greninja (impossible unless in a Team Match, which was also irrelevant when the Pokémon were together because a Kirby could absorb one Pokémon and keep his Copy Ability if PT switched Pokémon). Also, Charizard’s fire attack effectiveness is now irrelevant due to Ivysaur not being in the game.

---​

So what do you think? Were you expecting some of these characters to return? Whose absence do you think had the biggest impact? Let us know!

Last edited:
Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

Even though I saw it coming, Snake hurt a lot for me, since he is an Icon of the industry, and probably the only Legacy character in the Series that'll end up gone. I was a Wolf main when I first got Brawl, and that mixed with the certainty I had that he was coming as DLC was like death by papercuts ;-;. Thank the heavens that Sakurai came through for me ONCE though, so I don't have to share my feelings about Roy. Honestly, I think all the cuts will find their way back, except for Pichu and Young Link, since they've been replaced in YL's case, or just suckm, in Pichu's case

I don't want to offend, but isn't Konami the blame for not having Snake in Smash 4 because the creator left? They have to get permission for the use of the character, right?

I liked the article, even though it wasn't perfectly edited. There's a few interesting points there; my ideal Smash game would have the Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake and the original Pokémon Trainer fighters back, but only because I'm a stickler for variety and uniqueness.

I don't want to offend, but isn't Konami the blame for not having Snake in Smash 4 because the creator left? They have to get permission for the use of the character, right?
Honestly, yes. I know that Hideo and Sakurai were good friends, which is how Snake got in the first place. He was going to be in Melee, too, but time constraints were the reason why he was abandoned from that game. And of course, being the good friend he was and a man of his word, Snake was one of the first characters to enter development in Brawl as soon as it came into fruition.

I do believe it was the son of Hideo that suggested it, as he played the game and wanted to know why one of his father's characters were not in the game. That is what led to Snake existing.

I hate cuts.
As do I. Last year, because of a broken glass I lacerated my left thumb leaving a string of skin hanging and a deep wound, it took almost a month to fully recover. Oh wait.

Na, sheik has been there forever and has a unique character design. What I want to see gone or converted into skins intstead are all the clones. And please I would love to see a couple swordies get cut, we have way too many.
They can stay as skins or be slightly decloned, either way is fine. No need for pointless cuts for the sake of having less swordfighters (less of the 25% of the roster uses swords, so their number gets exaggerated).

Last edited:
Marth has been doing well for himself recently. Mr. E, False, and Pugwest place well with him. People need to stop associating Marth with his past counterparts, really.
The way we see Marth in the metagame right now is as a counterpick, and we've seen Marth used maybe twice in a major top 8 (none resulting in wins IIRC).
Lucina has the stigma of depthless Marth, but unlike Melee Roy, she has had balance patches improving her.

Roy was overhyped trash from release and sucks at life in general.
Roy didn't get the buffs Lucina or Marth did after the major September patch (that really made the game a lot better).

Also, for the record, I toy around with all 3 as potential secondaries of sort to my Toon Link (mostly Lucina and Marth rather than Roy). I'm still convinced that at a world championship level the only use either Lucina or Marth are only good as counter-picks to specific stage/character/player match ups. There's not really any other way mid tiers like them in just about any fighting game are useful at a world championship level (unless the game has a roster of 20 or less or so).
I should probably rephrase what I meant about Roy getting in over Wolf. I'm not treating them as clones at all (even if Roy is one). What I mean to say is why Roy got in, but Wolf didn't. Still, your comment still stands about Roy maybe needing less work since his moveset is more of a clone while Wolf is more unique and not necessarily a clone, so he probably would have needed a bit more time to work on.

However, if you look at Lucas, who's moveset is radically different from Ness, he still came at the same time as Roy and Ryu despite not being a clone, so part of me thinks that Wolf could have definitely been made in the same time span as Roy and Ryu, if given the chance to be made for DLC.
It was more that Lucas got in over Wolf if you really look at the mindset of the developers. As much as I think the exclusion of Wolf was stupid (I think the developer team should have included Wolf with a few months delayed Bayonetta/Corrin update), and as much as I think it was unjustified, it does fit their mindset.

The developers already gave so many of Wolf's assets to Falco (why they did is beyond me, since Falco was amazing as is, and Wolf's full potential was far from realized), so they probably just didn't want to bother for another game. It sucks, but that's the reality.

D
I'm glad that these characters are gone (except Wolf), especially the Ice Climbers. They were completely irrelevant and cheap. People don't even care about the Ice Climber franchise. When we say "Ice Climbers", you immediately think about Melee and Brawl, not Ice Climber, they literally had no meaning behind their existence anymore. It's essentially like playing as an empty corpse, or a man without a soul. Their deletion was inexorable, and the game is better off without them.

I dont really see why wolf had to go. he was the most unique clone we ever got and his really interesting moveset such as his stun laser diagonal side b dash attack being foxs upsmash... he was such a cool character.

The two most upsetting cuts for me were the Ice Climbers and Wolf, and the Ice Climbers hurt more, personally. I hope to see both the Ice Climbers and Wolf make a return for Smash 5.

I dont really see why wolf had to go. he was the most unique clone we ever got and his really interesting moveset such as his stun laser diagonal side b dash attack being foxs upsmash... he was such a cool character.
Then he wouldn't really be much of a clone, would he?:p

Anyway, of the Starfox characters, :wolf:'s moveset (barring specials and FS of course) was almost completely unlike :fox: and :falco:. He isn't really a clone knowing all of that. Even his specials feel radically different from the other two despite being based on the same concept.

Should he make his return in the future, I hope his moveset remains mostly intact. He represents the feral side of Starfox, and I love it. It would be a shame to lose that forevermore.

Rosalina & Luma were not designed to replace Ice Climbers. Rosalina & Luma were actually the first newcomers listed in Sakurai's initial pitch for Smash 4, before actual development had really gone under way (i.e they wouldn't yet have known if the 3DS would limit ICs). She was also the first newcomer revealed after the E3 2013 reveal for Smash 4, and was one of the few newcomers available in the E3 2014 demo of Smash Wii U. All of these things point towards the fact Rosalina & Luma were more or less finished early on.

They also don't serve as a replacement to the ICs because they are a completely different archetype of fighting game character. ICs is simply a duplicated character that mimics you and the de-syncs and such are more of an unorthodox, unintended side effect of how the work. Rosalina & Luma are a puppeteer/puppet duo, and are designed on the basis that they can fight independently of each other, or together. Luma is also treated more like an item than as a character by the game itself, because he has transcendent priority like an item, and he can even attack Ghastly in Smash Run on the 3DS version.
It's less of a technical stance and more of a psychological view that make R&L bring out similar annoyance to the IC (both are a pair regardless of their different mechanics). At the time (and even now for some characters), it was basically camp till Luma dies or risk a stock or match.

I'm glad that these characters are gone (except Wolf), especially the Ice Climbers. They were completely irrelevant and cheap. People don't even care about the Ice Climber franchise. When we say "Ice Climbers", you immediately think about Melee and Brawl, not Ice Climber, they literally had no meaning behind their existence anymore. It's essentially like playing as an empty corpse, or a man without a soul. Their deletion was inexorable, and the game is better off without them.
Couldn't you also say the same thing about R.O.B., Captain Falcon, and even Ness and Lucas on some level?

Couldn't you also say the same thing about R.O.B., Captain Falcon, and even Ness and Lucas on some level?
Actually you could say the same thing for Pit prior to Brawl as well. Kid Icarus is one of probably a few franchises whose appearance in Smash gained a revival.

It's less of a technical stance and more of a psychological view that make R&L bring out similar annoyance to the IC (both are a pair regardless of their different mechanics). At the time (and even now for some characters), it was basically camp till Luma dies or risk a stock or match.
I was speaking from a literal standpoint, though.

They weren't designed to "replace" Ice Climbers, as so many people like to believe, and generally use as an excuse to be salty about Rosalina & Luma, as if they're a reason behind the ICs being cut.

All knowledge we have of the game's development points towards the fact that Rosalina was a high priority addition while the Ice Climbers were not. This article actually forgets to mention that the other reason Ice Climbers were cut was because Sakurai considered them low priority. He didn't see them as worth going so far to get them in the game even if he could make them work on 3DS with enough effort or trial and error, since they are characters that basically have no future outside of Smash as far as getting a new game or something goes.

My other point was that while both pairs may involve being a pair, that doesn't make them similar to play as or even the same archetype. Ike uses his fists and feet for a couple of attacks, but that doesn't mean he could be compared to Mario or Captain Falcon as if he's a similar archetype of character. Ice Cilmbers are a dual character with a clone of the one character mimicking everything you do. Rosalina is a character with a puppet, with said puppet being treated like an item by a lot of the game's mechanics as opposed to a character. Being "two characters" doesn't really make them comparable in terms of how they play and how their mechanics work.

I was speaking from a literal standpoint, though.

They weren't designed to "replace" Ice Climbers, as so many people like to believe, and generally use as an excuse to be salty about Rosalina & Luma, as if they're a reason behind the ICs being cut.

All knowledge we have of the game's development points towards the fact that Rosalina was a high priority addition while the Ice Climbers were not. This article actually forgets to mention that the other reason Ice Climbers were cut was because Sakurai considered them low priority. He didn't see them as worth going so far to get them in the game even if he could make them work on 3DS with enough effort or trial and error, since they are characters that basically have no future outside of Smash as far as getting a new game or something goes.

My other point was that while both pairs may involve being a pair, that doesn't make them similar to play as or even the same archetype. Ike uses his fists and feet for a couple of attacks, but that doesn't mean he could be compared to Mario or Captain Falcon as if he's a similar archetype of character. Ice Cilmbers are a dual character with a clone of the one character mimicking everything you do. Rosalina is a character with a puppet, with said puppet being treated like an item by a lot of the game's mechanics as opposed to a character. Being "two characters" doesn't really make them comparable in terms of how they play and how their mechanics work.
I know they're not IC nor designed to be like them, but they give off a similar vibe in a sense they either counter them correctly or lose the lead quite easily.

On a side rant; I honestly don't understand why Roy got in over Wolf. Mewtwo made sense due to more fan demand than Roy (even though both were generally unviable in Melee). Yet when the both came as DLC, they were terrible at the start (just as bad as in Melee, surprise surprise). After a long time of patches, Mewtwo has become viable, while Roy hasn't so much. Mewtwo was fixable, but Roy wasn't. I would attribute Roy's failures due to his fighting concept as an up-close swordsman (which sounds interesting conceptually, but doesn't work well in practice or IRL).

What I'm trying to get at is why would people want a character that just cannot generally be good when the most glaring flaw is the design of the character itself? Even in Project M when Roy made more of an impact, his other Fire Emblem counterparts were still better by a good or significant margin. Also, I don't care for Wolf that much and I don't even use him at all, but I still think he would have been better than Roy. Lastly, if IC's were in Smash 4, I think their recovery should be changed (like Olimar's in a sense)

TL;DR - People avoid talking about Miis like the flu (which sucks). Why is Roy in Smash 4 instead of Wolf? Roy's fighting design doesn't work well.
Sakurai has stated in interviews that Roy was included as DLC because he was a safe choice. Roy has an established fan base within Smash's community and represents Melee. Lucas was included as DLC for the same reason, but instead with appeasing Brawl fans in mind.

Mewtwo, though also a veteran from Melee, was not included for the same reasons. Mewtwo's inclusion was a way of both testing the waters for how Smash DLC would do and to provide a nice bonus for fans who bought both copies of the game.

If you are to rant about anything, I think it make more sense to be upset that Lucas was chosen to appease Brawl fans instead of Wolf.

Snake (if viable again) would have been a natural counter to Rosalina with his projectiles and ability to cover horizontal movement. At the very least, that unique combination of moves would make for a number of fascinating match ups, as they did for Snake in Brawl and various Brawl mods.

Ice Climbers are an interesting pairing. They can do some things from range, but really their core strength is up close. Up close, they are as deadly as they come in Melee and Brawl, and I imagine the hand off potential would be in Smash 4 just like those two titles. We don't know for sure how they would work, but it would have been cool to see that, and to see them be that up close grab happy threat.

Roy is a clone, Wolf really isn't.

Wolf shares the attributes of 3 moves with Fox and Falco in Brawl (side B, neutral B, down B), and the down B is totally different from Falco's then-new side B, the blaster acts differently than both characters, and honestly, it feels like a bit of a stretch calling that side B a "cloned move."

On top of that, the process of making another character like Marth has got to be easier, seeing as how it was already done. On top of that, Falco took many of Wolf's aerial attributes and a few moves for whatever reason, so Wolf would need to be recreated in a few ways, which would require added work.

Roy, meanwhile, was very straightforward with the fixes (although they still found a way to make him weaker than Lucina and Marth, who are both also quite weak in Smash 4).

\\

I will agree with you on Roy's design execution not totally working though though. The design of the 3 Marth's was kinda bad. Making aerials get wrecked by OoS and shielding options made them lose one of the best strengths from Melee and Brawl. Really, they should have stuck with the previous designs of Marth, especially the Melee design (although modified for the game).

Because they strayed away from this without giving Marth, Lucina or Roy much range or speed (their attacks are deceptively slow; in a lot of ways, Marth feels slower than Brawl), all 3 of these characters are lackluster. It sucks, because as we saw in Melee and Brawl, the potential is definitely there, especially in Melee.

Edit: Damn it, I pushed the post button on accident (normally I copy and paste these additions as an edit). :/
This was also due to the fact Marth was top tier in both Melee and Brawl so the nerfs were meant to pull him down a lot so he didn't murder half the cast by standing still.

Sakurai has stated in interviews that Roy was included as DLC because he was a safe choice.
What counts as a safe choice though? I can't help but feel that :wolf: might've been just as good a bet (monetary-wise) as the other DLC veterans if not more so (barring :4mewtwo: that is).

Last edited:
Im glad icies got cut. They had broken mechanics. Young link is annoying. Toon link is better in every way. Wolf, we thought was coming for sure. Had the biggest supporters, star fox zero was coming out but sakurai decided to please his weeb fans and released corrin. Snake is obvious.

And whoever thinks wolf is a clone should probably drink bleach

Last edited:
What counts as a safe choice though? I can't help but feel that :wolf: might've been just as good a bet (monetary-wise) as the other DLC veterans if not more so (barring :4mewtwo: that is).
While I do think Wolf would have had appeal, I think he decided upon including one veteran from Melee (again, excluding Mewtwo) and one from Brawl. Most polling indicated Roy was the most desirable choice among Melee fans, while Lucas was the most desirable of Brawl.

Sakurai has stated in interviews that Roy was included as DLC because he was a safe choice. Roy has an established fan base within Smash's community and represents Melee. Lucas was included as DLC for the same reason, but instead with appeasing Brawl fans in mind.
Roy being popular within the Smash community just doesn't add up for me... Like, what is he even liked for anyway? To me back then, he was just an obscure FE character that was added for the sake of promoting a future Fire Emblem game that hadn't come out at the time, IIRC. Heck, Roy was almost cut from Melee in the American release, yet they kept him in. I'm not being upset, but I'm just really confused as to why he's popular in the first place.

Now I hope I'm not coming off as upset or angry about Roy's inclusion (he's fine as a character, so I don't care), but what annoys me is that his fighting design is just flawed at it's core. Game design choices that are bad or flawed are things that I don't like, hence why I don't like Roy's fighting design.

If you are to rant about anything, I think it make more sense to be upset that Lucas was chosen to appease Brawl fans instead of Wolf.
As for Lucas, I know already. Johnknight1 Johnknight1 just said a similar thing to me about Lucas and I agree to an extent. However, there's no reason for me to be upset at Lucas's inclusion (despite representing Brawl) because his fighting design works well, where as I stated before, Roy's fighting design does not.

I just really wish wolf was added, smash 4 dlc was pretty wierd, as the only newish Nintendo character added was corrin(who has a suspiciously similar fair and up air to a melee veteran). but we did get amazing icons like ryu and cloud, as well as finally getting m2 back. Hopefully if that smash 4 for nx or smash 5 or whatever happens, wolf, icies, and snake could make their shot for the roster. As all 3 have unique movesets and plastyles

Last edited:
Im glad icies got cut. They had broken mechanics. Young link is annoying. Toon link is better in every way. Wolf, we thought was coming for sure. Had the biggest supporters, star fox zero was coming out but sakurai decided to please his weeb fans and released corrin. Snake is obvious.

And whoever thinks wolf is a clone should probably drink bleach
Grab mechanics changed in this game and desyncs still exist in other characters (Olimar, Rosalina) IC's would have brought nothing that can be perceived as 'broken' to this game that wasn't already there.

Ice climbers will return. We all know that

I can see them having a great grab game if both ICS are present still. HJust not a infinite

Last edited:
Cuts don't bother me by nature. If I don't like a character I'm not going to be upset when they're cut just because they already were in, I guess this isn't a heavily shared opinion, but that's just the way I am.

Out of this list, only the Ice Climbers and Wolf cuts bother me, though Wolf does a little more because he has that mysterious element to his cut. I'd love to see them come back for S4NX if that really is a thing. I guess time will tell.

I'm also really curious on how these characters would turn out in this game. Would Wolf get a new moveset? Would the IC's still be able to exploit their desyncs for chain grabs (down throw side B regrab?)? That's what I'm really interested in.

Last edited:
It's way too early to be speculating about smash 5.... A smash game comes out every 7 years...
Not even Smash 5, the speculation was for a Smash 4 port to NX with additional content. Seeing that there have already been rumors about it, I don't feel like it's too early at all.

Roy being popular within the Smash community just doesn't add up for me... Like, what is he even liked for anyway? To me back then, he was just an obscure FE character that was added for the sake of promoting a future Fire Emblem game that hadn't come out at the time, IIRC. Heck, Roy was almost cut from Melee in the American release, yet they kept him in. I'm not being upset, but I'm just really confused as to why he's popular in the first place.
Don't worry. You're not coming off badly, and granted, Roy was never really enjoyed in competitive play because of his flawed gameplay and in general being worse than Marth in every category. But at the same time, Mewtwo was also flawed. It's appeal comes from being an iconic Pokémon that people identity with, who was cut from Brawl with no proper explanation. (It was the only Melee character cut with the character not being a clone). I think Roy did appeal to some players in a casual sense of being the antithesis to Marth both visually and mechanically.

Roy's inclusion as DLC is merely happen stance, I think. The most desired veteran from Melee was undoubtedly Mewtwo, but it was already being included. Second may have been the Ice Climbers, but hardware limitations prevented their inclusion the first time. Young Link has a much weaker fan base because Toon Link is identified by many as his successor. Pichu's appeal is even weaker due to it being a joke character with most of his positive qualities being given to Pikachu in Brawl. Therefore, the only character that seemed appropriate and desirable as "Melee-themed" DLC was Roy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom